Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Okay, all Pretender related stuff is the property of NBC's The Pretender. They are not mine! Although, other characters are mine.

Author's note: This is a [MAJOR] "What if" story so bare with me on this one, okay? I was so tempted to do it, so... I did! I had a lot fun writing it too. So here it is... enjoy!



"She dragged me on every ride," Jarod said softly, staring down. Briefly closing his eyes, he swallowed. "I don't know how I survived them all," he whispered.

"Because it was before your ulcer," Miss Parker said, staring down as well. He snapped his attention to her face, his eyes seeming to darken. "I don't have a..." but the shooting pain in his stomach cut his sentence short.

"You do, Jarod," Miss Parker said, staring at him in worry. "Why deny it?"

"You have no idea what you are talking about," Jarod whispered, his voice low and dangerously ragged. Miss Parker blinked in surprise. Luckily, the ride ended there, and Miss Parker scrambled out of the seat and caught up with the two children, Jarod following behind her slowly, holding his stomach.

"Can I get a hot dog?" Chelsea asked, taking her frog from her dad.

"Me too!" Cian said.

"Alright," Jarod said, nodding and forcing a smile.

Walking up to the hot dog stand, Jarod pulled out his money. Glancing over at Miss Parker, he opened his mouth to ask her if she wanted one, when he stopped. Her face was pale, her eyes staring over his shoulder at someone.

"Parker?" Jarod asked, looking over his shoulder at the person behind the hotdog stand. She had short brown hair, blue eyes and a lollipop stick hanging out of her mouth.

"Brigitte!" Miss Parker snapped. The woman looked over at Miss Parker
suddenly, staring at her for a moment.

Shifting her hot dog hat on her head, she asked, "Do I know you?"Staring for a long moment, Miss Parker shook her head, smiling at the sight of Brigitte with a ridiculous hat on and a striped yellow, red and green shirt on. "Sorry, my mistake," Miss Parker said.

"How did you know my name?" the woman asked, taking the sucker out of her mouth.

"It is on your name tag," Miss Parker snapped. Brigitte looked down at the nametag on her breast pocket.

"Oh," she said simply, shrugging. "What will it be, love?" Brigitte asked Jarod. Just then, Miss Parker burst into laughter, and Jarod
looked over his shoulder at her in surprise.

"Parker?" he asked. She shook her head, trying to stop laughing, but it was too hard. She lifted her hand up in the air, gesturing for him to go ahead and order. He shook his head and turned back to the woman, asking for two hot dogs.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Are you serious?" Broots asked, smiling up at her. Miss Parker nodded, smiling widely at the memory. Broots laughed, shaking his head. "Boy, I wish I could have seen that!"

Miss Parker nodded, smiling still. "Just had to be there." Sitting down on the bed, she looked around the room. "Hey, where is Sydney?"

"Oh, last time I knew he was in the kitchen doing the dishes," Broots said, turning off the TV. "Don't know where he is now."

Miss Parker nodded, leaving the room quietly.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Knock, knock," Sydney said, peeking into the room. Jarod looked up from his closet at his visitor.

"What is it?" Jarod asked, not too politely. He picked up a coat by its hanger from the bed and hung it up in the closet.

"What are you doing?" Sydney asked, trying to make conversation and try to ease the tension. Jarod flashed him a look that made Sydney cringe.

"Cleaning the closet," Jarod snapped, sticking his head into the closet and reaching for a couple of shoeboxes.

Sydney nodded. "Mind if you stopped for a moment so we can talk?"

Jarod stopped suddenly and looked over at him, staring at him with no expression. "I stopped."

"I mean, sit down and..."

"Why not bring out the long leather couch too," Jarod said sarcastically.

Sydney huffed in frustration. "Why don't you like me, Jarod?" Jarod clenched his jaw tightly together, staring at the older man from across the room. "All I want is a chance."

Briefly closing his eyes, Jarod set the boxes down on the floor, coming to sit down on the bed. "I'm sitting."

Sydney walked across the room and sat on the opposite side of the bed. "Do you want to talk about this?"

"Oh and you ask me now," Jarod said, crossing his arms. Sydney inhaled sharply. "Start talking doc," Jarod snapped.

Sydney forced a smile. "Tell me about your wife."

"We're done," Jarod snapped, getting up from the bed, feeling the first stab of pain. "Thanks for the talk doc, I'll think of it night and day."

"I know it's hard, but it is the only way to get over..."

"Would if I don't want to get over her?" Jarod asked, staring deeply into the older man. His stomach took a dive.

"You can not obsess over a dead woman like this..."

"Don't talk about her like that!" Jarod shouted.

"I am sorry, I didn't mean to..."

"Get out of here. Now!" Jarod whispered, pointing towards the door. The
pain was over whelming now.

"Jarod..."

"NOW!" Jarod demanded.

Sydney got up, leaving the room quickly. As soon as he was out of sight, Jarod collapsed onto the bed, whimpering in pain. His stomach ached like he just had been stabbed, and it seemed to be increasing by the second. Wobbling to the bathroom, Jarod reached up from the cupboard with the mirrored door. But when a huge shot of pain zapped through his body, Jarod pulled his arm back down, coming to wrap around his stomach with the other. Clenching his teeth together, waiting for the pain to subside, he leaned over the sink.

"Oh, god," he whimpered. Suddenly, he began coughing, every cough torture to his stomach. As he coughed up blood, he frantically reached for the cupboard, pulling out his medication.

Turning the faucet on, he washed down the blood in the sink and took a cup from the cupboard, swallowing the pill quickly. Sinking to his knees, his arms folded onto the sink, he wept, the pain still there, but decreasing.

Turning the faucet on again to muffle out his crying, he sat there on the tiled floor and cried, praying to whatever or whoever that controlled his life. Praying that he would live long enough to see his children grow up and marry. And to see his grandchildren grow up too. He never wanted to leave them like she did. Never betray them.

That thought increased the pain and tears, and he curled up into a fatal position on the cold floor.

"I love you so much," he whispered. "Why did you leave me? Why?" he whimpered, hugging his aching stomach tightly. "You never even said good-bye."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Chelsea, get to bed," Miss Parker said, coming up the stair to see the little girl sitting on the floor by her father's room. She got up quickly and dashed down the hall. Miss Parker following, she entered the little girl's room, walking over to her bed and helping her into the covers.

"Miss Parker, daddy was crying," she said softly.

Miss Parker furrowed her brow. "He was?"

"Yeah and he was saying, 'I love you. Why did you leave me?'"

Miss Parker looked away and stared off into thought for a moment, before tucking the little girl in and turning off the light. "Good night, Chels."

"Miss Parker?" the little girl called. Miss Parker looked over her shoulder at her. "Tell daddy that I won't ever leave him."

Miss Parker smiled weakly, staring at the little girl in the dim light, holding back the tears. Unable to speak, she nodded and left the room, making her way down the hall to Jarod's room. Peeking into the huge room, she looked around. She didn't see him.

Walking inside, she walked quickly across the room to his bathroom, where inside she heard running water. Placing her hand on the doorknob she opened the door a crack. Inside, she saw Jarod, his back to her, but she could see his face in the reflection of the mirror. His head was down, eyes closed and tears stains on his cheeks. He looked paler than ever and seemed on the thresh hold of passing out. Miss Parker's heart ached, staring at his appearance.

Suddenly, his attention flashed up into the mirror, seeing her in the reflection over his shoulder. Quickly looking away to hide his tears, he muttered hoarsely, "Get out of here, Parker."

"You don't need to be a lone right now," she said softly, pushing the door open more to move inside.

"Please Parker, just leave," he said, the tears threatening his eyes again. The pain in his stomach increased again. "Damn," he whimpered.

Jarod?" Miss Parker asked, coming up behind him and placing a hand on his bare shoulder. He had his tank top on, with his pajama pants, loosely tied at the waist.

"I'm fine," he snapped, ripping his shoulder from under her touch.

"No you are not. You have an ulcer. A bad one."

"No I..."

"Don't Jarod," she snapped, turning him towards her. "I had one too. I know how it is." She forced his eyes to look at her, cupping the sides of his face. "It's a scary thing, but don't try to deny it."

"I don't want other's sympathy. I got too much when..." His brow furrowed, and more tears ran down his cheeks.

Miss Parker pressed her lips gently on his cheek, brushing the tears away with her lower lip. "It's okay to cry." She pulled him into an embrace, his face resting in the crook of her neck. "Everything is going to work out, Jarod."

Pushing her away, he wiped at his tears. "How are you so sure?" he asked, his tone bitter. "How are you so..."

"Because!" Miss Parker said, holding his face in her hands again.
"Because I know." She stared into his eyes, baby brown's sparkling with unshed tears. He was so beautiful. Miss Parker, still cupping the sides of his face, leaned closer to him and pressed her lip onto his. He flinched, tried to pull away, but she still held him.

After the passionate moment of their lips' embrace, Jarod pushed away, wobbling backwards and fell to his knees. There he placed his face in his hands and wept, his tears quaking his body roughly. Miss Parker, heart brokenly, bent down on her knees, pulling him into a hug and held him, feeling his body quake with emotions against her.

"Shh," she hushed, running her hand through his hair. "It's going to be okay. I know it. Everything is going to work out." She kissed the top of his head softly. "It has to."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"Miss Parker?" Broots whispered, tiptoeing into her room.

Fluttering her eyes open, she flashed a dangerous look over at Broots. Glancing over at the clock, she noted how early it was.

"It is six in the morning, this better be good," she said, sitting up.

"Oh, yeah it is very good. I ah, found something out on your mother."

Miss Parker's eyes flashed with excitement. "And?"

Broots smiled, handing her a newspaper article. "I found this in the library this morning."

She read: Local Fundraiser Saves Money for Homeless. Reading threw the article quickly, she spotted the name: Catherine Parker. Reading about how her mother's fundraiser saved the lives of many homeless people, she smiled.

Frowning suddenly, Miss Parker says, "But how are we going to find out where she is?"

"Well, this is proof that she is alive and that she is somewhere in this town, because it says 'Local.'"

Miss Parker nods. "Keep working," she said, handing the newspaper over to Broots again. Turning, Broots walked towards the door. "Oh and Broots?" He stopped to look over his shoulder at her. "Thank you." Smiling, he left the room.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Daddy?" Chelsea said, knocking on the door. "Daddy, are you going to work today?"

Miss Parker walked down the hall, noticing Chelsea standing outside her father's door. "What is it, Chelsea?"

"Daddy won't answer the door," the child frowned. The memory of what had happened the night before flashed in Miss Parker's mind, and she quickly reached for the doorknob and noted it was locked.

"Stand back Chelsea," Miss Parker instructed. When Chelsea was out of the way, Miss Parker stepped back and gave the door one solid kick, the door smashing inward.

"Cool!" Chelsea said, looking up at Miss Parker in amazement, but she was ignored when Miss Parker walked passed her into the bedroom.

Seeing Jarod still lying in bed, his back facing her, made her heart leap. She hurried over to the bed.

"Chelsea, go get Sydney," Miss Parker said, looking over at the little girl. Chelsea hurried away to do her task. Miss Parker looked down at Jarod, noting the paleness. Panic beginning to build inside her, she reached down and began to shake him. He was burning at the touch and he wouldn't wake up. Shaking harder, she began to call his name. "Jarod! Jarod, wake up!"

The only response was a weak whimper. "Jarod, wake up, please!"

"What is it, Miss...?" Sydney began, but trailed off at the sight of Miss Parker's fear stricken face as she shook Jarod. Trotting around the bed, Sydney leaned over Jarod, surveying him closely.

"What is wrong with daddy?" Chelsea asked from the doorway, her eyes burning with fear.

"It's okay, Chelsea. Go to your room and play," Miss Parker said to her, forcing her voice to be normal, but had no luck.

"But...?" Chelsea began.

"Go!" Miss Parker shouted at her, panic rising as Sydney tried to wake Jarod by shaking him.

Chelsea stepped back in surprise, standing there for a second, before bursting into tears and running down the hall to her room. Miss Parker trotted across the room, shutting the door. Quickly picking up the phone on the nightstand she dialed 911.

"Jarod, wake up!" Sydney shouted. He lifted the younger man's eyelids, checking his eyes. "He is very pale and he is burning hot," Sydney said, more to himself than to Miss Parker.

"Yes, please we need help," Miss Parker said into the phone, panic in her voice. Taking a moment to calm herself, she began to explain to the woman what had happened. "Yes, he has a history of ulcers."

At that, Sydney snapped his attention up to Miss Parker, who nodded at him. Swallowing hard, he looked down at the pale face of Jarod.

"Damn," Sydney muttered under his breath. It's worse than he had thought.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"BP 70 over 40 and falling. Pupils are dilated," one of the nurses said, pushing the stretcher down the hospital hallway. Miss Parker glanced back at Sydney, who stared down at Jarod's form worriedly. "Prepare OR for surgery."

Stopping at the doors, Miss Parker and Sydney watched them wheel Jarod into the emergency room. Sydney reached out and grabbed the doctor's arm, pulling her over to him.

"What is his condition doctor?" Sydney asked.

The doctor took a brief glance towards the doors to the emergency room. "He has a perforated ulcer, causing massive internal bleeding. It is too early to tell if he will be all right or not. Excuse me."

Quickly, she walked away, closing the doors behind her. Miss Parker stared off towards the doors, before looking over at Sydney's worried face. "He'll be fine, Sydney."

He looked over at her, his eyes unreadable. "This should be what you wanted."

Miss Parker's brow furrowed. "Excuse me?"

"Jarod, the one you blame for giving you an ulcer, is dying from one!"

Miss Parker stared at him in disbelief. "I know you are upset Sydney, but that is no reason to..."

"Don't say anything," Sydney said, turning and storming down to the lounge. Miss Parker stared off towards him in worry, briefly looking down to the ground.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"How is he, Miss Parker?" Broots asked, walking up to them. Miss Parker glanced back at him.

"He is going into surgery now," she said softly. "Who is watching the kids?"

"I called the lady, Mrs. Smith, whose number was on the fridge," Broots muttered, sitting down beside her in the hall. "Where is Sydney?"

Miss Parker inhaled sharply, shaking her head. "Last time I knew, he went down to the lounge. Broots nodded, then looked down at his watch.

"When is Jarod going to be out of surgery?" Miss Parker shook her head, while she stared off into thought, her brow furrowed.

Looking down to the floor briefly, Broots swallowed. "He, ah, he's going to be okay, M-Miss Parker. He's a fighter."

"That was the 'other' Jarod we knew. Would if this one..." she began, but trailed off when her voice cracked. Swallowing back the tears, she covered her face with her hand. Broots slowly lifted a hand to her shoulder, gently patting it.

"It's going to be okay. No matter what Jarod we knew or know, he'll make it through."

Miss Parker looked over at him, and stared for a moment, before nodding and smiling weakly. "Of course he will, Broots," she said softly. "Of course he will."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Is he out of surgery?" Sydney asked, walking up to the two. Sydney shook his head in sadness after they both muttered a reply. "He has been in there forever!"

Sighing, Miss Parker got up from her seat, glancing down at her watch, and began to pace. Sydney, taking her seat, sat down beside Broots, staring down at the tiled floor.

Broots briefly looked over at Sydney and leaned over, whispering, "Miss Parker is really worried. I never seen her so worked up over Jarod."

Sydney glanced over at him, staring for a moment. "She cares, Broots," he simply said, glancing up at the pacing form of Miss Parker. Broots blinked twice, looking away from Sydney to Miss Parker.

Suddenly, the doctor appeared from the door across the hall, coming to walk up to them. Broots and Sydney leaped to their feet, coming to stand in beside Miss Parker.

"Jarod is still out of it from surgery," the doctor said, looking down at her chart she carried. "But, he should be just fine."

"Should be?" Sydney asked, worried.

"He lost a lot of blood from the ulcer and surgery, therefore, he may be very weak for a while. You may go in and see him now," she said, walking away.

All three entered the room, taking in the machines and tubes around him. Sydney took in a shaky breath, walking over to Jarod's side and sitting down in the chair. As if lifted Jarod's lifeless hand into his, long dark eyelashes began to flutter open.

"Sydney...?" Jarod whispered, his voice barely audible.

"Yeah, I'm here," Sydney replied with a gentle smile.

Confusion flashed into Jarod's brown eyes as he stared up at the older man, who held his hand gently. "Why are you..."

"I want to be your friend, Mr. Gene," Sydney replied, giving Jarod's hand a gentle squeeze.

Jarod stared at him for a long moment, then smiled weakly. "Call me Jarod."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"I called Mrs. Smith about fifteen minutes ago. She and the kids should be here at anytime," Broots said, entering the hospital room.

Jarod smiled at him. "Thank you."

"How are you feeling?" Sydney asked, adjusting his blanket.

"Fine, Sydney. A little weak, but fine. Thank you," Jarod replied, closing his eyes briefly. Sydney smiled, glancing over at Miss Parker. Miss Parker smiled in return, noting the happy glitter in the older eyes.

"Daddy!" a small voice said from the doorway.

"Oh, Chelsea!" Jarod said with a smile, watching his little girl run up and stand on her tiptoes to hug her father in the bed.

"You okay, daddy?" Chelsea asked.

"I'm fine, Chels. Where is Cian?" Jarod asked.

"Mrs. Smith and him are coming," Chelsea answered, looking over towards the door of the hospital room.

"Here we are," said the woman, leading Cian in by the hand into the room.


Miss Parker looked away from Jarod and Chelsea to the new visitors, her eyes widening suddenly.

"Oh my god!" Miss Parker spat out, looking at the woman in surprise.

Looking over towards her, Catherine's eyes widened as well.

"Angel?" she asked.

"Mom!" Miss Parker said happily, running across the room and wrapping her arms around her mother tightly.

"Oh my god," her mother whispered into her hair as she hugged her. "I haven't seen you since your father and I got divorced!"

At that, Miss Parker hugged her tightly. "I missed you so much."

"I missed you too, baby," Catherine said, smiling. "I love you."

Miss Parker smiled, not wanting to let her go. "I love you too."

"Isn't this ironic?" Jarod said happily, flashing Sydney a smile.

Like a dream," Broots muttered, staring at the scene with a gentle smile on his lips.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


"Dream... happiness...dream," Angelo muttered, his eyes fluttering open.
"Chelsea... Cian... dream... Gene... dream."

"What is wrong with Cracker Boy?" Miss Parker snapped, walking down the steps and coming up to Sydney.

"He has been muttering these things for a while now," Sydney said, looking down to his watch. "Can't figure it out."

"Maybe he had a nightmare," Miss Parker said, crossing her arms as she stared down at Angelo curled up on the floor.

"Or a dream," Sydney muttered, hearing Angelo mutter the word again. Turning from the scene, Sydney looked at her carefully. "Any leads or news from Jarod?"

"Nope, Broots still hasn't found anything on Wonder Boy," Miss Parker said, turning and starting to walk away, Sydney at her side. "We only found out that he was in a small town up North helping a woman recover from a car accident where she collided into a semi. That's our Jarod for you."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The End...