Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



Chapter 35: Uneasy Times



The unexpected always makes the Game more interesting.

Plans are revealed.

Plans are concealed.

Can the Players handle the pressure?

*************************


Angels Hope
Uneasy Times




Ethan looked at the woman lying in the bed. She was stirring a little, again mumbling the name he knew she was saying over and over. “It’s all right Margaret. You’re safe and Jarod is safe too. I have to go for a little while. I have to go get everyone else. Something is about to happen. I can hear the voices telling me that I have to get them now. So these nice people will look after you and I will be back as soon as I can.”

Ethan picked up his jacket and went out into the hall.

A guard came out of the doorway two doors down. “Can I help you sir?”

Ethan put on his jacket and met the man half way. “Yes. Can you please tell Dr. Stedman that I need to see her? I need to leave the facility now.”

“If you will step back into the room, then I will call Dr. Stedman.” Ethan went back into Margaret’s room. The guard pulled his cell phone open and dialled Stedman’s office. After a short conversation, he snapped the phone closed and went to the door. “Dr. Stedman will be down in a few minutes.”

Ethan had taken a seat next to Margaret, laying his jacket across his legs. The voices were talking all at once and the trick he had learned to hear his mother’s voice was being overridden. He put his head into his hands and tried again to quiet the ones he didn’t want to hear. He also had come to know that when there were many voices, it meant that something was about to happen. In his concentration, he didn’t hear the footsteps that entered the room.

Dr. Stedman went over to the young man. “Are you in need of medical attention?”

Ethan looked up. “No Dr. Stedman. I’m fine. I need to leave the facility. There are others that are in danger that I would like permission to bring here.”

Stedman looked concerned. “How many ‘others’ are we talking about?”

“Two others. Her family.” Ethan said as he looked in Stedman’s face for her reaction.

And it was there. Surprise. “You mean your family.”

Ethan got up and looked at Margaret. “Yes and no. It’s complicated. Her husband, who’s my father, and her daughter, my half sister.”

“She’s not your mother. Then who are you?”

“The son of a close friend who wants you to know that she appreciates everything you have done with Angel’s Hope. And protecting her children.”

“Catherine? You’re Catherine Parker’s son. That’s impossible. She had no other children prior to her death.”

“She trusted Raines and he betrayed her. Miss Parker found out that Catherine was impregnated by Raines. And that child was a product of Catherine and Jarod’s father. When I was born, Raines killed her.”

“So when you say she appreciates everything that I have done, you can hear her. You have her inner sense?”

“Yes. I can hear voices that I try to filter and hear her. She has been guiding me. She brought me to her.” Ethan nodded toward Margaret. “So can I please leave? Soon the world will be changing and lines will be drawn. Anyone associated with Miss Parker and Jarod will be in danger.”

Stedman took a moment to digest what she was hearing. “I knew something was wrong the last time I spoke to her. She said that she was attempting something dangerous. That she would get in contact with me when she could. That’s the last I heard from her. Then one of the operatives said that she had shot herself in an elevator in the Centre. I knew she would never do that. That she had planned to bring Jarod and Little Miss Parker here.” Stedman looked at Ethan’s face, trying to see some resemblance of Catherine. “How can I trust that you are Catherine’s son?”

Ethan concentrated on hearing what his mother’s voice was saying. After a few minutes, Ethan lifted his head. “She says that she’s sorry.” Ethan paused, listening intently. “That she...sent Jacob...” Ethan paused again. “Back to the Centre.” Ethan concentrated on the words and then looked up. “Jacob loved you very much.”

Stedman’s eyes teared at the mention of Jacob’s name. “No one but Catherine and Sydney knew that Jacob and I were a couple.” Joan delicately ran her hand down Ethan’s face. “You are Catherine’s son. And you’ve mastered interpreting your inner sense. Not an easy task. Even your mother couldn’t always control it.”

There was a knock on the door and Dr. Stedman turned to see Dr. Lorn standing in the doorway. “May I come in? It’s time to remove her bandages.”

“Certainly Dr. Lorn. Please come in.” Stedman turned back to Ethan. “Before I let you go; I want to know one thing. What is your real name?”

“My name is Ethan. Thank you Dr. Stedman.” Ethan took Stedman’s hand to convey his thankfulness and headed for the door.

“Ethan. There is one stipulation.” Stedman announced which turned Ethan around.

“Stipulation?” Ethan asked.

“You take two of Parker’s team with you. If the situation is getting dangerous, then I will not have Catherine Parker’s son out there without protection.”

Ethan took a long inhale. “I’m not sure that I will be able to get near my father with other people with me.” Ethan saw Stedman’s decision in her face. “All right. I will take one person with me. Agreed?”

“Agreed.” Stedman took out her phone. “Alex. Please have the best agent for the Omega Team report to the tarmac. They will be guarding a very important person, Ethan, and will follow his orders. Thank you.” Joan clicked the phone closed. “God speed Ethan. Take care of yourself.”

Ethan acknowledged Stedman’s heartfelt farewell. He turned and followed his guard to the elevator.

Stedman turned toward the patient just as the doctor removed her dressing. The person she saw just confirmed what Ethan had told her. She went over and took the woman’s hand. She was older, but Stedman recognized her. “Oh Margaret.”

**************************

Lyle’s spacious room left allot of space for him to pace. He had to dodge Sydney and meet Lily in a matter of hours. The fact that the Sweepers were outside his door didn’t help either. Lyle looked through the peephole of his hotel room and could see the two men still standing there. “Don’t these people have a life?” He said to himself. “Of course not idiot, you terrorized them into not having lives.” For once his own tactics were working against him.

Lyle got an idea and called to order room service. “This is room 917. I would like an order of Chicken chow mien, egg rolls, and wonton soup. I don’t care if you don’t carry it on the menu, get it for me ASAP. I need to make an appointment.”

Thirty minutes later the room service attendant approached Lyle’s room balancing his tray of food. The two men standing guard in front of the door made the man fidget nervously. Paul, the lead Sweeper, looked over the tray and acknowledged Mr. Lyle’s normal cuisine. He turned and knocked on the door.

Lyle opened the door with a jerk. “It’s about time you got here.” Lyle studied the man.

The attendant walked through the two men and Lyle slammed the door closed. “I’m sorry Sir if the food hasn’t arrived in a timely manner.” The man put the tray down on the table that stood toward the end of the room. He started asking if Lyle wanted the bill charged to his room, when the man was struck in back of the head.

Lyle brought back his gun and put it back in his holster. He stripped the man of his uniform. He put it on over his shirt and trousers. A little big, but hopefully the goons wouldn’t notice. Lyle took a quick mouthful of chow mien and pulled the tray from under the plates. He went to the door and positioned the tray to block his face. He opened the door and shuffled past the guards. He deepened his voice. “Man in there said he doesn’t want to be disturbed. Seems like a pit bull, better listen.

Both men nodded in agreement.

Lyle saw their movements and made a mental note of it. He continued down the hall to the elevator and pushed the button. Once inside with the doors closed, Lyle stripped off his outer layer. He got off the elevator and headed for the main entrance. He would find a cab a little farther down from the hotel. And then he would be on his way to meet his fate.

As Lyle walked out the rotating doors, a figure stepped out of the shadows to follow.

**************************

Broots sat at his desk. He was running a standard search for the statue that Sydney had been looking for. The computer was running the search and all there was to do was wait. He nervously rocked back and forth in his chair every so often looking around the quiet room.

And it was too quiet. Sydney was no where to be found. And it was so unlike him to leave and not let anyone know where he was going. Also no one knew where Mr. Lyle had gone either. So now Miss Parker, Sydney, and Mr. Lyle made up the list of missing. The list was growing, this was not good.

Broots picked up his picture of Debbie that he had on his desk. He was glad for one thing. There was always one constant in his life. His little Debbie. But she wasn’t little anymore. She was growing up so quickly. At least he knew that no matter what happened at the Centre, she was untouched by it. For that he was thankful.

He hoped that wherever Miss Parker and Sydney were, that they were safe. And would be back soon. With the office empty, it gave him the creeps. Broots put Debbie’s picture down and proceeded to go over what information the computer had spit out.

And there it was. The statue that Sydney had been looking for. He picked up his cell phone and speed dialed Sydney’s number.

“Hello. This is Sydney. Please leave a message at the tone.”

“Sydney. This is Broots. I found the statue’s origin. Please give me a call as soon as possible.” Broots hung up the phone. It was the same message he had gotten all day. “Where are you Sydney?”

**************************

Lily was checking out the stage area. Becky had given her the script for tonight’s show and she was memorizing the choreographics. She knew that tonight had to go flawlessly. It not only meant finding out about Bobby’s mental condition, but that the safety of her team relied on her decisions.

Ronnie and Joel headed for the exit on stage right to check the exits on the upper floors. They went through a door that opened up on the roof and started inspecting everything that Lily had ordered in place. Joel went and checked the line that was connected by a loop hook into the building’s concrete. He pulled on the line to make sure it would withstand their weight. After being satisfied that the line was secure, he walked over to Ronnie. “What is that for?” The confused man asked. “I don’t remember that being in the plans.”

Ronnie looked at the circular unit sitting on the edge of the roof. “It’s in the plan now. Per Lily. Nothing more is to be said.”

“Yes Ma’am.” Both went back through the door back into the building.

Jarod was standing in the middle of the room. He was running scenarios: picturing a room full of people. Noise, music, people talking, drinking. How would Lyle enter? Would he be alone? He looked over at Lily. She was checking out the stage area. It looked as if she were up there for some sort of weird musical. But she wasn’t.

He thought about Kyle. How little time they had had to get to know each other. The first member of his family he had ever met. Ripped away from him by Lyle. Would Lily be pulled down the same path?

They also had had so little time together. Everything had moved so fast. In his quest for finding out the truth about himself, he had opened her up to the pursuit of Lyle. But he also knew that it was her search for herself that drove her. The same drive that he had. They needed to know who they were. And it was for this reason that he didn’t grab Lily and Parker and run.

Run to where the Centre couldn’t find them. But that drive was too strong. Neither of them would be able to live not knowing the whole truth. And for Lily, Lyle held part of her puzzle. He hoped that she was right, but he still had his hatred for the man that had killed his brother.

Jarod’s eyes wandered up to the disco ball, when the lights went out and a spotlight hit the ball.

Lily turned, pulled her gun from the back of her pants and ducked down. She was looking through the flickering lights for movement.

Jarod dove behind one of the dance platforms. He could see movement coming from across the room. He slowly crept around the main walkway and hid behind the next set of round stages. He pulled the 9mm from the holster he had been given at Angel’s Hope.

Lily’s eyes had adjusted to the darkened room and had slipped behind the curtain on stage left. She moved the curtain with the nose of her gun and saw movement by the entrance door. She strained to see if the figure looked like Lyle or the Sweeper teams.

The figure moved along the wall. It seemed like it stumbled over something. Jarod approached from the front, Lily from the figure’s right. Just as both pointed their weapon at the figure, the lights suddenly came on.

“Ahhhhhh.” A scream was heard.

*************************

The World is a Game.

And we are only Players.

Is destiny fated?

Or do the Players control their destinies?

Only time will tell.