Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



Chapter 34: Destined Journeys

The unexpected always makes the Game more interesting.

Plans are revealed.

Plans are concealed.

Can the Players handle the pressure?

*************************


Angels Hope
Destined Journeys



“Are these people all on Lily’s team?” Jarod asked as he again looked at the massive group below him.

“No. They are the Omega team.”

Jarod, Parker, and Becky turned to see Mark standing behind them.

“Omega team. What is the Omega team?” Jarod asked.

“They’re Parker’s team if Lily should fail.” Mark put his hand up on the glass as Jarod and Parker stood behind him in shock.

“My team? Why in the hell would anyone here give me a team? I thought they were afraid that I was still the enemy.” Parker questioned as she paced up and down the observation window.

“It was Lily’s idea.” Parker turned to him once again showing shock. “It seems that not everyone here suspects you of still having loyalties to the Centre. In this organization, Lily is what would be considered a General in the Army. She wanted someone who she felt could command that kind of power and respect in the event something happened to her.”

Parker looked at Lily through the window. She saw her putting the recruits through the wringer. She was yelling, pointing, and pushing them to their limits. Parker appreciated that. “I want to change and go down there.”

“You want to go...down there?” Becky asked. “With Lily?”

“Definitely. If I am to command the team, then I need to at least meet them. Get a feel for them. Mark, where can I get some workout clothes?” Parker headed for the door.

Mark looked at Jarod who shrugged. “Once she gets something into her head you can forget trying to change her mind. She’s like a pit bull.” Jarod smiled as Parker leered at him and opened the door.

“Anytime Dr. Mark.” Parker motioned for him to go out the door.

“No wonder Lily picked you.” Becky passed by Parker with Jarod following her closely. “She’s so bossy.” Becky quickly added as she went out the door.

Jarod broke a smile. “The woman is definitely an empath. She read you like a book.”

Parker pushed Jarod out the door and slapped him in the head. “You could have at least made me a good novel.”

Becky showed Parker where she could get the black outfit that Lily was wearing. She then led the group to the door of the training floor. Becky opened the door and motioned for Parker to go ahead. When Jarod went to follow, Becky stopped him. “Lily only allows team personnel in the training room. Parker has to go alone.”

Parker walked out onto the floor. She could see the various drill sergeants firing orders at the people. She looked through the people and finally spotted Lily on the other side of the room. Parker thought for a moment and then took on her best Ice Queen strut. She strode around the perimeter of the people checking them out as she went.

Lily spotted Parker coming around the perimeter and started to walk towards her. A microphone hung on her ear and she started speaking. “Listen up!” Everyone in the room came to a stop and put themselves at attention. “We have your Commander on the floor. Her name is Miss Parker. You will show her the same respect that you have shown me. Continue training.”

From the observation window Jarod could see Parker join in the group training session. She had chosen one person to perform an attack situation. Parker easily flipped the man onto his back. A smile of triumph came over her face. “This is only the second time since we got here that I have seen her truly happy.”

“She has found something that reminds her of the only existence that she has ever known Jarod.” Mark started. “But I hope that when push comes to shove that she honors what she has been given here over her alliance to the Centre.”

“I think that this is the closest she has ever felt to her mother. She loves her mother and wouldn’t want to destroy anything that she had created. Besides the only man she has ever known as her father is dead. She no longer has any ties to the Centre, except for Sydney and Broots. We have to get Lily to finish this game with Lyle so that we can protect Debbie. For all we know, the Centre could have her already.”

“Debbie’s fine Jarod.” Becky added to the conversation.

“How do you know that? I care about that family. I have protected that family and now she is in danger.” Jarod countered.

“Because Joan had her operatives at the Centre check on Broots and he is operating as if nothing had changed. And they said that they checked their home and Debbie was there. Whatever the Centre was going to do, they have put it on hold for some reason.”

“I can tell you the reason, Lily.” Jarod looked out the window at his twin sister.

**************************

Joan was closing her safe when she heard a knock on the door. “Come in.” She headed for her seat behind her desk.

The door opened and Lily walked through the door. “We’re almost ready to take off. You wanted to see me?”

Joan looked into Lily’s eyes. “Is everything set for your meeting with Lyle?”

“I just finalized confirmation that the building is set from the team in California. My team is set here. Parker has been introduced to her team. All that’s left is for us to board that plane to California.”

Joan leaned back in her chair and brought her hands clasped across her stomach. “Why do I have a feeling that you’re not telling me the whole truth? What do you have up your sleeve?”

Lily acting shocked. “Whatever could you be talking about? I have been nothing but truthful.” Lily batted her eyelashes.

Joan sat up. “Don’t give me that young lady. I know you’re up to something. You had a meeting with your staff about three hours ago. And I wasn’t notified.”

Lily flipped her hand. “Just a little impromptu meeting. Just getting some of the bugs out of the plan.” Lily’s voice got a little lower. “Mundane things. Didn’t want to waste your time.”

“I know you are planning to do something that you haven’t told me. I could cancel the whole thing right now. Confine you to your room.”

Lily jumped out of her chair. “You can’t do that. Things have been put into motion that can‘t be stopped now. You just can‘t do it!”

“Sit down.” Lily chocked her head to the side and closed her eyes trying to control the anger. She opened her eyes and plopped herself into the chair. After a few moments Joan smiled. “OK. Now you’re ready.”

Lily shot a look at Joan. “A test?”

“Yes. I had to make sure you were going to be able to stay cool headed no matter what the situation. What better test than direct confrontation.”

“You....” Lily pointed her finger at Joan.

Joan smiled again. “Don’t say it. Just say - ‘See you later’ and get out of here before I change my mind.”

Lily got up and headed for the door. She turned around. “See you later. Thank you for trusting my instincts.”

Joan came around the desk. “Make sure I don’t regret the decision.” Lily turned to leave. “Lily.” Lily turned around as she entered the hallway. “When this is all done, I have a special assignment for you. I have a package that arrived from Morocco and it needs to be disposed of. Do you understand?”

Lily shook her head in acknowledgement. “Understood. The final nail in the coffin of the Centre.” A second later Lily was gone.

Joan went to the picture of Catherine Parker. “Be with her Catherine. She’s going to need your protection.”

**************************

Lily, Jarod, Parker, Mark, and Lily’s team entered the plane. Becky watched from the tarmac. She knew that she was getting feelings from Lily that scared her, but she also knew that she had to trust her sister.

Everyone took their seats and they were in the air within fifteen minutes. Once the pilot had OK’d it, the passengers released their seat belts. Lily had taken a seat away from everyone. Parker and Jarod sat next to each other watching both Mark and Lily. They could see the concern and yearning on Mark’s face as he watched Lily.

Parker whispered to Jarod. “I wonder if he will get enough nerve up to approach her? I love to see men squirm. This is just as good as watching Broots and his attempts at lovelorn geek romance.”

Jarod frowned. “Parker, stop it. The poor man is obviously in love and in pain. They were supposed to get married. Now his life is turned upside down. And as for Mr. Broots, he can’t help but feel the way he feels. His obsession is the most beautiful woman on this planet.”

Parker looked sideways at Jarod. “You know that Broots has a crush on...”

Jarod motioned toward Lily and Parker turned her head. Lily had gotten up. Mark straightened up as she approached his seat. He had a smile on his face. She passed him and went to sit across from Jarod and Parker. Mark’s face fell and Jarod could see that his whole body sank in his seat. He felt sorry for the man who might, under other circumstances, have become his brother-in-law. Another family member ripped from him by the Centre.

“Jarod.” No response. “Jarod? Earth to Jarod.” Jarod looked up. “Welcome back. Hope you had a nice trip.” Lily half smiled as she wondered what Jarod was thinking. “I need for the two of you to do something for me.”

“What can we do for you Lily?” Parker asked intrigued.

“Anything for you.” Jarod chimed in.

Lily paused as she tried to formulate her question. “I want you to tell me everything you know about Raines, Lyle, Angelo, Alex, and..... Kyle.” Lily saw the pain in Jarod’s eyes. “I know that this is tough on you big brother, but I need to know. What Raines did to them. Their mental states. Their MO’s. Where they were held. Everything and anything you can think of.”

Jarod looked down at the floor. Parker saw Jarod’s pain too. “Let’s start with Alex. I can give you the information I know. Alex was one of the Pretenders under Raines. At that point he was still Dr. William Raines. Alex was known to the police as The Chameleon.”

“Because he could be anyone he wanted to be. Sounds familiar.” Lily half smiled.

“Alex started going after people that were connected to him, who had hurt him. He went on a major killing spree.”

Jarod added in. “He killed another Pretender named Edward Ballinger. When I escaped, he and Alex were with me. But Alex fell while we were running and..... We left him behind.” Jarod turned and looked out the window. Pain was written across his face. “The Centre found him and sent him to Africa. It’s where the Triumvirate is based.”

“What is the Triumvirate?” Lily asked.

Parker let out a laugh. “They are a group in Africa that believe they control the Centre. But they are idiots. They don’t control anything. They’re being played by Raines. He’s been promising them ultimate power for years by baiting them with these God forsaken scrolls.”

“Scrolls that Parker and I found on an island called Carthis, but Mr. Parker took from us. He jumped out of the Centre plane with the scrolls for reasons unknown.” Jarod chimed in.

Lily frowned. “Scrolls. And how are these scrolls suppose to give a person power? Do they have some form of scientific theory or weapon of some sort?”

“According to what we found out Lily, it has something to do with us. Catherine Parker and our mother Margaret were trying to find them so they would have the upper hand against the Centre.” Jarod could see that Lily’ mind was running. “Do you know something about the scrolls Lily?”

Lily shook her head no. “No. Nothing.”

Jarod could tell that it wasn’t totally the truth. “Could you have heard something about them at Angel’s Hope? Maybe...”

Lily touched Jarod’s cheek. “Jarod, please. Not now. I need to know about Alex. We can discuss the scrolls later.”

“OK. Needless to say that they burned the humanity out of him.” Jarod began.

“Not just the Triumvirate. Lyle. He became one of Lyle’s projects.” Parker now added. “Probably why he became so vicious. Lyle is an expert in torture and information retrieval. But Lyle said that Alex was whacked before he even got him. So Raines probably gave him the same wonderful childhood that you and brother dearest got.”

“And I wonder who got Lyle whacked?” Lily’s face grew angry. “I’ll give you one word. Raines.”

“The Centre did send Lyle to Asia, so I guess your answer would be yes.” Parker answered Lily. “And the Centre taught Alex that having no soul gave you the ultimate power. And Alex hated Jarod because the Centre thought that Jarod was more important as a Pretender than he was.”

“Alex felt that if you had no ties, then you would be free. So he killed his own family so that the Centre would have no hold over him. He thought that it was a weakness that I possessed and why I would never escape from the Centre. He also said that he knew things about me. Things he wouldn’t reveal. Like why the Centre wants me back so bad. That it wasn‘t because I was a Pretender.”

“So it goes back to the scrolls and that they say we have a destiny. Alex hated Jarod and I. He tried to blow me up, but Ethan saved me.” Parker said as she looked at her mother’s ring on her finger. Parker then remembered her mother’s notes. “I found notes in my mother‘s desk that...”

Lily looked up with a start. “Did you say Ethan?”

“Yes. Remember I told you that Raines killed my mother when Ethan was born. He’s my brother.”

“I forgot with everything that had been going on, that you told me that. That makes him my half brother also. Do you know where he is now?”

Jarod saw something spark in Lily‘s eyes. “He told me that he needed some space, some time to figure out what was going on in his life. He has the same inner sense that Parker does. He was having trouble controlling it. I let him go. So no, we don’t know where he is. I’ll introduce you two when we meet up again. He‘ll get in touch with us when he is ready.”

“I think it will be sooner than later.” Lily said in a low voice.

“What did you say?” Parker asked seeing Lily’s lips move, but not hearing what she said.

“Nothing. Ok. Tell me about Angelo.” Lily got herself back on track.

Jarod and Parker spent the rest of the flight telling Lily about the casualties of the Centre.

**************************

The building the group approached was a four-story brown building, weathered and beaten. There were rows of windows from the second floor up in the front and side of the building. The neighborhood looked as if it had seen plenty of action. The surrounding buildings looked as weathered as the one they were standing in front of. People mulled the streets in the pursuit of their everyday lives. By night, it would be full of people looking to be entertained and looking for answers.

Jarod looked up at the building that he would be occupying with Parker. He immediately started analyzing the exit ways and fire escapes. He could see that something had been attached to the roof that occupied the club. A line ran from one building to another. “Lily. What is that line up there? It doesn‘t look like a power or cable line.”

“That, dear brother, is escape route alpha.” She smiled as she entered the building.

Jarod and Parker followed Lily into the entrance of the club. Again Jarod went walking around the room examining the layout and formulating the possible outcomes of tonight’s encounter. “Lily. I’m not sure that you will have enough cover to be able to exact a safe enough escape.”

Parker was looking around the rest of the room. There was a stage at the far end of the room that had a platform that moved forward towards the dance floor. Stairs came down both sides of the front of the stage that ended on small platforms. Those platforms were joined to other smaller platforms with walkways. Each platform had steps down. The dance floor started at the stage and ended at carpeting that held numerous tables. “I have to agree with Boy Genius, there isn’t much cover here Lily. Lyle could have Sweepers right out in the open to grab you.”

Lily smiled. “That’s if the club looked like this when he gets here. When Bobby gets here, the club will be full of people dancing and there will be a stage show going on.” Lily brought Jarod and Parker around and pointed up. “There are black lights, blinking multi-colored flashing lights, and my all time favorite - a disco ball.”

“Disco ball?” Jarod asked.

“A rotating mirrored ball suspended from the ceiling. When hit with a spot light it casts moving sparkles of light through the room.” Parker pointed up to the ceiling where the ball was suspended. “So the atmosphere will be dark and the lighting distracting.”

“Yes. Plus the stage show has been designed with allot of techno effects. Becky really outdid herself this time.” Lily looked like a child describing her upcoming birthday party. “It will be perfect.”

Jarod turned serious. “How will you get out if the meeting doesn‘t go well? I don’t see many exits from this room.”

“Everyone in this room will be a member or affiliate of Angel’s Hope. We helped the citizens of this area get rid of a drug dealing gang that was terrorizing everyone. I show the sign and I will have all the cover I need. Then I will exit there.” Lily pointed to a doorway on the left side of the stage. “Since the entrance is on the opposite side, any Sweeper trying to retrieve me will have to make it through the room first. By then, I will be up the stairs and out of this building.”

Jarod shook his head. “I don’t know Lily. It still seems very dangerous. It’s not too late to still back out. Just go back to Angel’s Hope.”

“I never back down from a fight Jarod. And there is a young lady who doesn’t even know that her future rests in what happens tonight. She’s just a name to me, but she’s special to you two. I can’t allow anything to happen to her. And the only way I can assure that is to go through with tonight. A close friend today said I needed to know my enemy. So that’s what I am doing. I’ll be fine.” Lily smiled that infectious smile that she had.

“All right. But I am going to be keeping both eyes on you.” Jarod poked Lily on the nose.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.” Lily gave Jarod a hug.

*************************

Ethan looked at the woman lying in the bed. She was stirring a little, again mumbling the name he knew she was saying over and over again. “It’s all right Margaret. You’re safe and Jarod is safe too. I have to go for a little while. I have to go get everyone else. Something is about to happen. I can hear the voices telling me that I have to get them now. So these nice people will look after you and I will be back as soon as I can.”

Ethan picked up his jacket and went out into the hall.

A guard came out of the doorway two doors down. “Can I help you sir?”

Ethan put on his jacket and met the man half way. “Yes. Can you please tell Dr. Stedman that I need to see her? I need to leave the facility now.”

*************************

Players are readying for the next segment of the Game.

Some are playing the Game openly.

Another has secrets and agendas.

One must complete his mission before the opposition reigns.