Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



Chapter 33: Destiny Arising



The unexpected always makes the Game more interesting.

Unexpected allies, unexpected enemies.

When will the two be revealed?

*************************

Angels Hope
Destiny Arising




Ethan looked as if he were listening to someone. He looked up at Lily. “She says that I should tell you this. It’s a phrase that you learned when you were little. Something that she said you were never to forget. That it unlocked the memories and gave you the beginning of all the secrets.” Ethan stood up so he was face to face with Lily. “Cree Craw Toads Foot......”

“Geese Walk Barefoot.” Lily looked into Ethan’s eyes. “Catherine? Can you hear Catherine Parker?”

“I can hear many voices. But that voice is the strongest and I have come to trust it. If it says that you need to know your enemies, then you need to get to know your enemies.” Ethan listened once again. “You’re heading for danger. You hope to help an old friend.”

“Stop that!” Lily said as she moved away from Ethan. “Yes. I leave today on a mission. I need to settle the past with the future.”

“I think first you need to reconcile the present. You haven‘t gotten the information yet that you need to fight the Centre. Dr. Stedman is right. You’ve only seen a glimpse of the Centre and had a handful of memories. It will not help you.”

“Then my destiny is that I will fail.” Lily said lowering her head in defeat.

Ethan came up next to Lily and lifted her chin gently with his fingers. “Your destiny is what you make it. You have to find a way to gain the information that you need. Then success will be within your grasp.”

“I have to figure out a way to learn about the Centre. I have exhausted every means I could think of to get information about the Centre. I don’t have time to break into their main frame and Joan won’t let Jarod anywhere near a computer. After all this time..” Lily walked back to the doorway between the rooms and looked at the woman lying in the bed, “she’s afraid I will end up like her. She has never had her own child, but she has treated Becky and I like her daughters. She doesn’t want to risk losing us.”

“But if she doesn’t let happen what must happen, she is going to lose you anyway. The door has been opened; it can’t be shut now.” Ethan said as he joined her. “She is going to lose you to her demons or your own. You need to resolve your past in order to enjoy your future. That’s why she brought you here. So you could heal.”

“Why are you here?” Lily asked looking straight into Ethan’s eyes.

“Because this is where I need to be right now. The voices told me about two little hurt girls that needed to heal. Who were cared about by Catherine Parker so much that she risked her life to protect them. Who needed to hear a message. That is one of my missions. Ethan looked over to the sleeping woman “Bringing her here was another.”

Lily looked at the woman again. “She’s lucky you were there for her. The Centre doesn’t deserve to gain any more lives.” She paused for a moment. “Ethan, I have to go.”

“I know. Good luck.”

“You too. I’m sure your mother will be awake soon. I’ll check in with you when I get back.” Lily walked through the doorway and headed for the exit door.

“What - no hug?” Ethan said from behind her.

Lily turned, tilted her head, and looked at him. “You want a...” And she didn’t know if it was the look on his face, the twinkle in his eye or the fact that he somehow seemed to radiate a warm presence. She walked up to Ethan, gave him a hug, and a kiss on the cheek. “Why does it feel like that somehow we are connected?”

“Maybe because we both care about family.” Ethan responded.

“You are an enlightened young man for your age.”

“I take after my brother and two sisters.” Ethan volleyed back.

“Well then they are very lucky to have you as a brother. Take care.” Lily slid out the door. Max took up step behind he. She had to think of some way to get the information on the Centre that she needed. She repeatedly pushed the elevator button when an idea struck her. Lily pulled out her phone and dialed Veronica. “Ronnie, get the team together in Conference 1. I have a change in the plan for Los Angeles.”

Veronica responded on the other end. “You got it. Are we going to have fun times again? Should I call Dr. Stedman and Mark?”

Lily got on the elevator and pushed the floor button. “Negative. Just Alpha team. I’m on my way there now.” Lily clicked her phone shut.

*************************

Jarod opened the dining room door for Parker. She glided in with her usual Ice Queen strut. The guards followed her and one grabbed the door so that Jarod could continue into the room.

Parker went to pull her chair out when she saw the guards enter. “Will there ever be a period of time when you flying monkeys won’t have to escort us like Dorothy with the ruby shoes and Toto?”

“Parker. They are only doing their job and I am not a small canine.” Jarod stated confused at Parker‘s statement.

The two guards looked at each other. Parker’s guard, Morris, approached her. “It is our position that your restriction has not been lifted by Dr. Stedman Miss Parker. You may want to try throwing some water on her and then maybe after she melts your restriction would be lifted.” Morris went to sit in his seat as Jarod’s confusion turned to a smirk.

“Good one Morris. I’m getting to like you.” Parker said as she grabbed a croissant.

“Thank you ma’am.” The guard started filling his plate with food.

“What was that about Parker?” Jarod asked. “Why are you being so antagonistic?”

“I needed a sense of normalcy and I don’t have Broots to pick on. Morris has graciously taken up his spot.”

With a mouth full of food Morris replied, “Any time.”

“I wonder what Sam would do if he knew that you replaced him with...” Jarod motioned to Morris.

Parker cracked a smile. “What am I going to do with you?”

“Anything you like.” Jarod replied in a low tone that Parker could only hear.

The door opened and in walked Becky. She was bouncing with happiness. “Good morning Everyone.” She sung.

“Someone is in a Pollyanna mood.” Parker stated as she poured herself some juice.

“It is a beautiful day. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and love is...” Becky accidentally hit Jarod’s shoulder as she came around him to sit down. Suddenly a flash of Jarod and Parker together flooded her sight and then was gone, “definitely in the air. Had a good night did we?”

Parker’s face was a mixture of anger and dismay.

Becky picked up on the mood coming off Parker. “Sorry. Didn’t mean to pry. It’s just that some people come through like beacons. You two are lighthouses.”

“It’s all right Becky. We know that you didn’t intentionally do anything.” Jarod chimed in. “How was your evening?”

“Yes. Any revelations in your life last night?” Parker asked snidely.

“I have revelations every night I’m with my man Miss Parker.” Becky put on a big smile.

“Ahh. It’s definitely beginning to feel like home.” Parker picked up some eggs and took a bite. After chewing she looked at Jarod. “So what is Lily’s plan now?”

“We meet and head out to California. She has a team there already getting the building ready so she’ll have plenty of escape routes in case she fails with Lyle.”

“I’m still not sure about all this.” Becky started. “I’m not sure this Lyle is worth contacting. She has this ideal image of him in her mind, but from what you have both said he’s dangerous.”

“Who’s dangerous?” Everyone in the room turned toward the door. Mark entered and closed the door. Becky put her head down and started shoveling the food into her mouth.

“We were just discussing the psychological instability of my sibling. Care to share?” Parker quipped.

“Parker, enough. You’re feeling a bit too much like you’re home.” Jarod got up and walked over to where Parker was sitting. “Can we talk alone for a moment?”

“Sure. Why not.” Parker pushed her chair back and slinked to the corner of the room.

Mark sat himself next to Becky to try and give her the third degree.

Jarod came up beside Parker and whispered. “What is going on? Why are you acting like this?”

“Acting like what Jarod? Me? This is who I am. Smart mouthed, ill tempered, ....” Parker tried to explain.

“Warm, loving person. I thought we discussed this. You don’t have to be the Ice Queen.” Jarod, concerned for Parker, put his arm around her.

“Jarod. With what we are doing today, I need to be the Ice Queen. I can’t confront Lyle without it. So please let me have this now. You want me to change overnight; it’s not going to happen. When this is all over we can do the counseling thing and I’ll become Mary Sunshine. OK?”

“I never asked you to be this Mary Sunshine woman, I just want you to be you.” Jarod said as he looked at her with those puppy brown eyes.

“Don’t look at me like that. I might have to drag you to a coat closet and ravage you.” Parker whispered in his ear.

“Parker. There are no closets in this room, so unfortunately I can’t take you up on your offer. But when we are done, maybe we can go back to the arboretum.” Jarod gave Parker a huge smile.

A growling sound is all Parker said as she passed Jarod on her way back to the table. She had heard Becky and Mark start to debate over Lyle.

“I’m telling you she has everything under control. She always does Mark.” Becky was sipping her coffee as she tried to convince the man she was correct.

Mark argued. “I just don’t think she is making the most rational decisions right now. Where is Lily by the way?”

*************************

Lily was sitting at the table as her team assembled. Veronica walked in with Joel. Lily had mapped out her changes and had placed the photocopied papers on the table.

“OK Boss. We’re here. What’s the change and why the secrecy?” Veronica asked to the point.

“Everyone have a seat.” Lily clicked the button on the wall and a screen came down out of the ceiling. The blueprints of a building appeared. “The schematics of the building provided show that there are several exits where the team can escape the building. Ronnie and Joel will exit the rear window on the third floor. There will be a line waiting to be shot that will run from the building to the building caddy corner to the club.” The screen changed to show a block of buildings. “I don’t want to take the chance that they may have the building next door filled with Sweepers.”

“So we are still running under code red?” Asked the team member at the back of the table.

“Yes Stiles. We are under red until I can determine whether Bobby can be trusted or not.” Lily turned back to the board.

“I will be positioned here in costume waiting for him to arrive. Kemper, you will be watchdog till the event. If there is any sign that he or his personnel are moving on the building early we abort.”

“Yes. Ma’am. Where will I be stationed?” Asked Kemper.

“You will be positioned in this building.” Lily pointed to the building that the line would be shot to. “From what I can tell, it has the best view of the club and street. Now here is the change. If Bobby proves to be foe, then I will exit up this stairwell.”

“Lily, that leads to the roof.” Veronica noted. “How will you get out of the building?”

“I have that covered. My escape route is being set up as we speak. Everyone else, look over your copies and memorize your routes. Keep the schematics close to you. You never know when you may need a backup plan.”

The group grumbled the affirmatives. Veronica raised her hand to speak.

“Yes Ronnie.” Lily acknowledged her gesture.

“Where will Jarod and the Parker woman be during all this?”

Lily sat down. “They will be positioned with Kemper. If all goes well I will join them and we will all exit the area together.”

“You know she’s not going to go for it. She’ll want to be where the action is.” Veronica said with a smile. “She doesn’t seem like the sit on the sidelines kind of gal.”

“I know. But if Bobby sees her, we’re dead in the water. That’s why I will tell them that the plan will be going down there. That I am bringing Bobby back to that building.”

“You’re going to lie to your brother?” Veronica asked.

“Ronnie. If I tell him the truth, then he is going to come charging in like a knight on a white horse. We need warriors, not noblemen. So they both stay in the dark.” Everyone nodded in agreement. “OK. Then everyone is dismissed to train Omega Company. I need them up to speed before I leave.” Everyone got up and started to leave the room. “Ronnie, can you please wait for a minute?”

Veronica finished her conversation and closed the door after the last person left. “What’s up?”

“I need you to do something for me. I want you to take these envelopes and when the mission is over tonight, I need you to distribute them.” Lily took the four envelopes and handed them to Veronica.

“Why won’t you be able to hand them out? I know you, been your right hand woman from the beginning. I’m going to go straight to Stedman if you don’t talk. What’s really going on?”

Lily laughed. “You know that you would never go to Joan. But you’re right. You have been my confidant and my executioner of plan. You deserve to know the whole thing. Sit down.” Lily told Veronica her true plan.

*************************

After breakfast, Jarod coaxed Becky into taking him to Lily. Becky led Jarod and Parker to the observatory for the training area. As the trio entered the room, Becky hit the button that brought up the privacy shield for the windows. Below were rows of men and women, dressed in red workout suits, working on a mass drill. They were broken into groups of twenty led by a person dressed in black.

“What is this?” Jarod asked as he spotted his sister observing the groups. It seemed she was screaming at certain people.

“This is the training room. Where the teams learn martial arts and hold practice exercises.” Becky started to explain.

“Where did all the people come from?” Parker asked as she realized that the Angel’s Hope team was far more numerous than anything the Centre had.

“We have been recruiting. Slowly. People who were hurt by groups, like the Centre, who wanted to see justice served. Usually if we have helped them and they have no family ties, then they are more than willing to join.” Becky explained as she moved closer to the window.

Parker was now intrigued. “How do you determine if they are loyal? I mean the Centre usually holds something on someone. Or hires ruthless people. How do you know that they will keep your secret?”

Becky turned to look at Parker. “That’s my job here Miss Parker.”

“Sneaky. Using an empath to see if they are loyal. I like it.” Parker stared out the window. It looked like Lily was a drill sergeant in the Army.

“Are these people all on Lily’s team?” Jarod asked as he again looked at the massive group below him.

“No. They are the Omega team.”

Jarod, Parker, and Becky turned to see Mark standing behind them.

“Omega team. What is the Omega team?” Jarod asked.

“They’re Parker’s team if Lily should fail.” Mark put his hand up on the glass as Jarod and Parker stood behind him in shock.

*************************

The unexpected always makes the Game more interesting.

Plans are revealed.

Plans are concealed.

Can the Players handle the pressure?