Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



Chapter 32: Paths to Take

The Players are trying on their costumes for the Masquerade.

The dance will bring them to the ballroom.

To settle the past.

And save the future.

The Game moves forward.

*************************

Angels Hope
Paths To Take




Max looked at the frightened guard. “I’ll keep an eye on her.” The other guard nodded in agreement. As Max entered the room, Lily had already started frantically searching the shelves.

After a few minutes she found what she was looking for. She pulled out Jarod’s case, placed it on the floor, and opened it. “Here we go.” Lily turned on the machine, took out one of the DSA’s, and placed it in the hole. “Now I learn about the Centre.”

Lily watched disc after disc. Absorbing everything she was seeing on the screen. She watched Jarod’s life unfold in front of her. Jarod’s life and the Centre’s existence. She realized for as many simulations that the Centre had Jarod run, she had run their counter simulation. Jarod’s Ying to Lily’s Yang. Cleaning up after the Centre’s messes and realizing how many messes she had never had the chance to clean up. Her heart cried out for justice, but her mind knew she had to concentrate. She only had so many hours to absorb a man’s lifetime.

In the wee hours of the early morning her eyes drew weary. She had placed a DSA into the holder and pushed the play button. She curled up on her side, watching the screen as images of Jarod being hosed down in some form of cell played. Trapped in a wire fence and Jarod showing rage at his confinement. Being shocked with electric battery cables. Then someone was talking to Jarod, someone she recognized came into view - Lyle.

As her eyes closed, Max saw a single tear run down her cheek.

*************************

“Sydney. How good to see you.” Lyle said as he put on his best poker face.

“I know you have been in contact with Broots and are heading for California. Do you have a lead on Jarod’s whereabouts?” Sydney asked coming out of the shadows he had been standing in.

“Is there nothing sacred at the Centre anymore? How in the hell did you know that I was talking to Broots?” Lyle advanced toward Sydney, who stood his ground. Lyle went into Sydney‘s face. “Does Raines know what you know?”

Sydney analyzed Lyle. “Do I detect fear?”

Lyle pushed off the psychiatrist’s chest. “Don’t confuse fear with caution.”

“Don’t confuse caution with fear. It may keep you alive.” Sydney retorted. “No. I have a tap on Broot’s phone.”

“Since when do you tap one of your own trio Sydney? Getting nervous about your future?” Lyle was trying to unnerve Sydney unsuccessfully.

Sydney coined the phrase he had heard so many times at the Centre. “I am exploring all leads in the pursuit of Jarod.”

“Cute Sydney. But I make this trip alone. I’m meeting someone.” Lyle started up the plane steps.

Sydney grabbed Lyle’s arm and spun him. “You are not going to California without me. If you try, I will call Raines and tell him where you are heading.”

The fire burned in Lyle’s eyes. “You wouldn’t.” Lyle looked into Sydney’s eyes. Shaking his head he spun and started back up the steps. “Fine. Get on board so I can get the hell out of here.”

Sydney climbed the steps with a smile on his face.

*************************

Jarod awoke from his restful slumber. He kept his eyes closed playing the events of the night before in his head. How beautiful Parker had looked in the twinkling lights. He could still smell the aroma of the perfume she had insisted that the staff of Angel’s Hope get her.

He had realized long ago that she had that kind of power demanded that power. To manipulate any situation to her advantage, whether she was in original control or not. Except for his scenarios. He had almost always kept one step in front of her. He had frustrated her, infuriated her, and enlightened her. He had made it look easy, but it wasn’t. So many times he had to put himself into her head. And it hadn’t been easy.

Now they were in new territory and this wasn’t a scenario. Jarod opened his eyes to see a darkened room. There was some soft lighting around the ceiling. For a moment his heart skipped a beat, but then he remembered where he was. He had not quite gotten use to underground living again yet. And waking up here always reminded him of being at the Centre. No windows, locked doors, and cameras.

Jarod sat up and rolled to the edge of the bed. He ran his hand across his chin and through his hair. He needed a shave. He stood up and went to the mirror. In the reflection he could see the bed. How he wished Parker could have been there. But both of them knew that certain things needed to be kept private right now. And staying in one or the other’s room would have given up that secret. Jarod turned from the dresser and headed for the shower.

*************************

Parker rolled over in bed. She stretched out her arms and legs. She lifted her head off the pillow and rested it on her palm. A smile came across her face. She had been naughty. Broken all the rules - for the Centre and she assumed Angel’s Hope. If only she had been able to convince Jarod to come back to her bed. The guards would have gone crazy. Dr. Stedman would have had to get out of bed. Turmoil. She would have liked it.

But Jarod had convinced her that everyone didn’t need to know what had happened last night. That it had been something special between the two of them. There was allot going on without adding their copulation to the mix. In the end, she had agreed. Though somewhere inside there was this little voice that wanted to call Lyle. Inform her brother that she had screwed the one man he despised more than anyone else in the world.

Parker went to the closet and pulled out her black reconnaissance outfit. Looking at the tight fitting apparel she imagined what Jarod would think of her in it. Parker shook her head. What was she some lovelorn schoolgirl? There was a mission today. Her head needed to be focused. She grabbed the rest of her underclothes and proceeded to take a shower.

*************************

“What do you mean she isn’t in her room? Where did she go?” Dr. Stedman was yelling as she walked down the hall toward Lily’s room. “Where the hell is her guard?”

The security personnel accompanying Stedman nervously spoke. “We’re unsure ma’am. She is unaccounted for at this time.”

“Great. Am I going to have to start putting lojacks on these people? Do we have confirmation on Jarod and Parker?” Stedman asked as she entered and walked around Lily’s room.

“I’m right here.” Jarod replied from behind her.

Joan spun around. “Do you know where your sister is? Because if you do, you had better tell me. I can’t afford for her to be going off half cocked.”

“I haven’t heard from her since last night when she locked us in the arboretum. She’s missing?” Jarod started looking around the room. He focused on the bed. There was a giant panda bear and rose petals all over the bed. Jarod looked at the arrangement of the petals. “It looks like from the positioning of the petals that she slept on the panda and then did quite a bit of movement.” Jarod didn’t need to run a simulation to solve this. “Another nightmare. A good one.”

The security guard that had entered with Stedman received a phone call. The room turned to see if he was going to have any information. He closed the phone. “She has been located Dr. Stedman.”

“Where is she?” The doctor asked frustrated.

“In the Equipment Storage Room. Asleep.” The man stated in a confused voice.

The group all turned and headed for the door. Parker was just approaching the room as everyone descended upon her. “Where is everyone going?” Parker asked confused at the mass exodus.

Jarod grabbed Parker’s arm and pulled her with the group. He made his way to the head of the group. “Lily was missing. They just found her in the Equipment Storage Room.”

“What the hell would she want in there?” Parker asked as she pulled her arm from Jarod and started her own quick pace.

“Jarod’s DSA’s.” Is all Stedman said as she entered the elevator.

Jarod had formulated that idea the moment they had said where Lily was, but he didn’t want to say anything. If he were right, Stedman would be furious. And she was.

*************************

The plane ride to California had been uneventful. Lyle had sat with his laptop making it look like he was working on Centre business as usual. Sydney sat across from him doing the same. It was like a well-manipulated game of chess. Knight and Bishop in standoff. Both men would pleasantly smile at one another each trying to figure out what the other one was thinking. Lyle was trying to calculate how to ditch the doc and Sydney was trying to figure out a way to keep Lyle from Jarod.

The plane landed in California and the men got into the company car that was waiting for their arrival. Sydney sat looking at Lyle who was looking out the window. “So where do your leads say Jarod is?”

Lyle, interrupted from his thought, turned to Sydney with a puzzled look. “Jarod?” Then fully realizing what he had said, he covered. “Jarod. Yes. He was spotted at one of the movie studios. I think we will go there later this morning.” The car arrived and the two men checked into their hotel. “Meet me in an hour in the lobby.” Lyle strutted off leaving Sydney standing alone.

An hour later Sydney was waiting for Lyle in the lobby. Sydney was looking at his watch, trying to figure out why a man who was consistently on time was late, when Lyle walked up behind him.

“Let’s get going.” Lyle said as he patted Sydney on the shoulder. He was smiling that false smile that Sydney had come to realize meant Lyle was up to something.

They spent the day rambling around the studio lot and sound stages. Late in the afternoon, Sydney was frustrated. “Lyle. This is pointless. There is no indication that Jarod was ever here.”

“Fine Sydney. The lead must have been wrong. We’ll head back to the hotel for the night and leave for the Centre in the morning.” The two men went back to the hotel. Lyle and Sydney went to their rooms. A man watched them from the corner of the lobby.

*************************

Max saw the crowd marching down the hallway from where he stood in the doorway. Dr. Stedman was heading the group followed by Jarod and Parker. “What is she doing?” Stedman said as she approached the man. “And why didn’t you report in?”

“Shssh.” The guard said as Dr. Stedman reached the doorway. He pointed to the sleeping figure of Lily on the floor. Dr. Stedman pulled the man into the hallway as Jarod passed him to go into the room. Parker stayed at the doorway. “She’s been up all night watching those discs Dr. Stedman. I didn’t see any harm in it and the room monitor saw us leave. When the door guard informed me that you were looking for Lily, I looked at my phone and realized the battery had malfunctioned. I would have reported her whereabouts immediately if I knew that there was a problem.”

Stedman took a breath and exhaled heavily. “All right. I’m a little on edge right now. Please make sure that you get a freshly charged battery every shift Max. Please confer with me whenever she requests something out of the norm. Now I will have to do damage control.”

Jarod had come up behind Lily and knelt down beside her. He reached over her side and pushed the play button. The scenes of the disc started playing and Jarod closed his eyes.

“Why didn’t you tell me what Lyle had done to you?” Lily said as she opened her eyes. She just kept facing forward looking at the screen.

“I didn’t want anyone to see that disc. It is personal.” Jarod replied also facing forward.

Lily rolled over to look at her brother. “I know I said it before - I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I came here and you got left there. I’m sorry that Catherine Parker couldn’t get you, Kyle, and Angelo out of there.” Lily sat up and put her arms around her brother’s neck. He tried to keep his balance on his heels. She whispered in his ear. “I’m sorry we didn’t get to be a family.”

“You have nothing to be sorry about. You had no choice on who went and who stayed. Catherine Parker knew that with Raines your life was in danger. You had to go. And we’ll be a family soon enough. We’ll get in contact with Dad and Emily. We’ll find Mom. We’ll be a family. And maybe we’ll add one more.” Jarod made a sideway glance to Parker.

Lily got up to her feet and Jarod followed grabbing his sister’s hands. “So I take it things went well last night?”

“Yes. Thank you.” Jarod said as a slight blush came to his cheeks.

Lily caught her brother’s reaction. “Understood.” Lily grasped Jarod’s hand and intertwined her fingers in his. She could see Joan outside the door giving Max grief. She nodded her head toward Joan. “Upset?”

“Definitely. You were MIA.” Jarod tried to explain.

Joan headed for the room as Lily was leaving the room. “Didn’t I tell you and Becky that this room was off limits?”

“Technically you told us removing things from the room was off limits. You didn’t say that I couldn’t go in the room.” Lily put on her best smile.

“Don’t play semantics with me young lady. There are reasons that I didn’t want you in this room.” Joan confronted Lily.

“And now the reason is gone. I know what I needed to know. What you should have told me.” Lily pushed pass Joan. “I am confronting these people and you are handicapping me.” Joan came up behind Lily, grabbed her arm and spun her around. Before she could say anything, Lily cut her off. “I am not a baby. I have a mission. A mission you started me on and now for whatever reason want me to stop.” Jarod came up quickly behind Dr. Stedman to quiet Lily. “No - stop Jarod. I need to know. Why? That‘s all I want to know. Why Joan?”

“Because if you confront Raines you are going to lose. You think those discs tell you what the Centre is like. Bullshit! Jarod was raised by Sydney. Sydney protected him. There is a whole other side of the Centre that you don’t have a clue. Not even with the knowledge of the years you spent there would you even be scratching the surface. And if Raines still has the technology active, you have that damn chip in your head. He could turn you on in a minute and maybe you would cease to exist.” Joan started crying. “And I couldn’t stand if anything happened...” Joan turned away from Lily and walked toward the wall.

Lily closed her eyes trying to keep herself from crying. “I know you feel like my mother. You think that you are protecting me. But we are all going to be in danger if I don’t confront Raines. You said it yourself that Raines will not give up. So I will do my best to stay safe and complete my mission.” Lily went over and gently placed her hand on Joan’s shoulder. “But there is always a possibility that I may not succeed. In that case, you have Jarod and Miss Parker. They are your next lines of defense.”

Joan turned around and faced Lily. “I’ve always known it, but when the time came I didn’t want to let you go. I guess I have no choice, you’re going to do this regardless of whether I lock you in chains till you’re eighty.”

Lily grabbed the woman in a hug. “You have to trust me.”

Joan nodded her head in agreement. “I need to speak to you before you leave. Can you come to my office?”

“I’ll be there soon. There is a man who came with his injured mother that I promised I would check on before I left today.” Lily said as she released the woman from her hold.

“Yes. I met them at arrival. Always the humanitarian.” Joan said as she wiped the tears from her face. “I’ll see you before you leave.”

“Thank you.” Lily said as Joan and her escort left the area. “Jarod. Why don’t you and Parker go get some breakfast and I’ll meet you in a little bit? That’s if you haven’t had breakfast yet.” Lily looked down at her watch.

“No. We haven’t had breakfast yet. Can we accompany you with your visit?” Jarod asked always looking to help those who have been injured.

“No Jarod. I’m not sure if they would appreciate others knowing their location. The mother was attacked and the son is being very protective. Too many people may spook him. I’ll be all right. Go eat and I’ll be along shortly.”

Jarod hugged his sister. “Then to breakfast we go. I’m famished anyway. Aren’t you Parker?”

Parker, who had taken a backseat during everything, came forward. “I would say that I could use a strong cup of coffee.”

“I’ll walk you to the dining room and grab a muffin.” Lily said as their entourage followed. Once to the room, Lily grabbed her muffin and headed out.

A few minutes later she was walking into the injured woman’s room. She looked a little more peaceful and Lily looked at her chart. She had been heavily sedated the night before so that she could get a better rest. Lily went and moved a few strands of the red hair that was stuck in the bandaging. “I’m so sorry you were hurt. There is too much violence in this world.”

“But you are going to help stop a portion of it.” Came a voice from behind Lily.

“Good morning Ethan. How did you sleep?” Lily asked as she approached the young man.

“I slept a little. There is allot going to happen in the next coming weeks. Sometimes I can’t get to sleep trying to figure out what part I am to play in it.” Ethan moved toward the doorway he had come in through. “I don’t want to disturb her. Can we go into my room?”

Lily followed the young man into his room. He had only the overhead lighting on. “Do you want me to put the lights on?” Lily asked as she moved toward the light switch.

“No. Please. Can we leave it the way it is? The light distracts me from focusing. I have a message for you.” He said as he sat in one of the chairs in his room. He motioned for Lily to sit next to him.

“What message?” Lily asked curiously.

“You are going into a game that started long before you were born. There are people who have killed to stay in that game and they use people as pawns. Only by knowing the whole playing field and all the players can you expect to survive.” Ethan started.

“Ohh. Very cryptic.” Lily tried to lighten the conversation.

“I’m not joking Lily. The message is this - before you can proceed there is one thing you must accomplish. Know thy enemy.”

Lily got up and looked down at Ethan. “How do you know what I have to do? How do I know that you are not some Centre spy sent here to distract me?”

Ethan looked as if he were listening to someone. He looked up at Lily. “She says that I should tell you this. It’s a phrase that you learned when you were little. Something that she said you were never to forget. That it unlocked the memories and gave you the beginning of all the secrets.” Ethan stood up so he was face to face with Lily. “Cree Craw Toads Foot......”

“Geese Walk Barefoot.” Lily looked into Ethan’s eyes. “Catherine?”

*************************

The unexpected always makes the Game more interesting.

Unexpected allies, unexpected enemies.

When will the two be revealed?