Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans. I also do not own any music by Journey including Mother, Father.



The Roulette wheel spins.

The ball is in motion.

The world is spinning out of control.

Which Players will come up winners?

And which will just keep waiting for the spinning to stop.

*************************


Angels Hope
Expanding Horizons




Lily had gotten onto the elevator, her guard behind her like a tail. “Larry. Tonight, can you just give me a little space?”

“I can’t leave you totally alone Miss Lily, but I think I can keep far enough behind that you won’t notice me.”

The elevator doors opened and Lily went to walk out. “Thank you Larry. You’re the first one today to respect my wishes.”

“You’re welcome. I hope that you find whatever you’re looking for.”

“I hope so too.” Lily had gotten off on one of the dormitory floors that were seldom used. She had just wanted to get away from everyone and think. She walked down the rose and pink colored hallway just clearing her mind. She had stopped to look at one of the paintings when she heard music playing down the hall. She could hear the words.

She sits alone

An empty stare

A mother’s face she wears.

Where did she go wrong?

The fight is gone.

Lord help this broken home.....

Curious, Lily proceeded down the hall checking each room as she went.

Hey, mother, father, sister
Hey, come back, tryin', believein'
Hey, mother, father, dreamer

Lily looked through one of the open doors and saw a woman lying in the bed. She looked so frail. Lily could see tuffs of red hair under her bandages. Lily had an urge to go in and hold the woman’s hand. “What terrible thing has happened to you?” The music continued to drift through the air.

Don't you know that I'm alive for you
I'm your sevenths son
And when lightin' strikes the family
Have faith, believe.

And from the dark corner of the room came a response. “She’s lost.”

Lily turned to see a good-looking young man sitting in the corner. He had short brown hair and brooding good looks. “Hello. My name is Lily. Who are you?”

“A game piece to the your future.” The young man replied

“So cryptic. What do you know of my future? Are you a fortuneteller?” Lily asked trying to size up the good-looking stranger.

“Of a sorts. Are you always this rude?” The young man tilted his head with a questioning glare.

“No. Only when I meet strangers who seem to know me.” Lily retorted.

“Touché. But I do know that right now you are very confused and unsure of yourself.” He got up from his chair in the corner and Lily backed up towards the doorway. “You don’t have to be cautious of me. I would never hurt you. Right now I have a different path than harming anyone. I am her Guardian.”

Lily picked up the word Guardian quickly. “You work for Dr. Stedman?”

“No. I just met Dr. Stedman when I brought her here. Her body was badly hurt, but your facility doctors have helped to heal her. But her soul is wrought with guilt and sorrow. She is lost.”

“I know the feeling. What happened to her?” Lily asked moving towards the bed.

“Better attitude. We were running away from a Sweeper Team and she was hit.” The young man took stance on the other side of the bed. “She is very fragile right now. She has been running a very long time.”

Lily took the chart from the end of the bed. “Looks like she is in stable condition. Our team in Atlanta got to her in just enough time. Bullets didn’t hit her lungs. The lacerations to her face weren’t bad. But she hasn’t responded to...”

The young man cut her off short. “Are you always this sensitive?”

“Excuse me?” Lily asked a little shocked.

“She isn’t a simulation; she’s a person. A person who needs a loving hand, not a cold technician. Don’t analyze her; be there for her.”

Lily took a deep breath and took stock of herself. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to...I mean I wasn’t..”

The young man came around the bed and pulled a chair from behind Lily. “Sit here and be with her. Different situations call for different reactions. You will never succeed if you don’t find the balance between the two worlds you have lived in.” He was hoping that she was listening to the music.

Through bitter tears
And wounded years, those ties
of blood were strong
So much to say, those yesterdays
So now don't you turn away.
The words of the song caught her attention again. Lily cautiously sat down and took the woman’s hand. She stirred a little, mumbling in her sleep. “How is it that I don’t even know me, but you can analyze my life in under ten minutes?”

The young man went back to the chair he originally was sitting in and pulled it to the bedside. “There are some who believe that loved ones who have passed on still watch over us. For those who can listen, they are the guides. They can advise you and help you. That’s why I am here.”



And when lightin' strikes the family
Have faith, believe

Believe, Believe.
Lily listened to the last refrain of the song. “Normally I would say that you were insane, but my sister Becky is very empathic. She says that sometimes it’s like someone is whispering in her ear. Other times she can touch someone or something and can see images. Do you have this gift too?”

“I can hear people talking to me. Like I knew to play that song. That right now you’re attuned to music and you would come.”

“You knew I was coming?” Lily asked.

“Told. By the voices. At first when I heard them it was all the time, barraging me day and night. I thought I was going insane, but then I learned from someone very special to trust those voices. They saved my life and the lives of my sister and brother. And now her.”

“She’s very lucky that you listened. I envy that you have balance in your life and can use your gift to help others.” Lily watched the woman, seeing that she was in the middle of a horrible nightmare. A shiver crept up her spine as she remembered the memories she had been having. Tears started in the cracks of the woman’s eyes. Small droplets started falling down her cheek. Lily took her finger and gently wiped them away being careful not to touch the wound dressing. The woman stirred a little.

“My life hasn’t always been balanced. There was a time when a person I trusted told me things and made me do something that could have hurt a lot of people. My brother found me and helped me to learn that I was trusting the wrong person and the voices were whom I could trust. Everything was very confusing and I decided to go off by myself to find out who I was. I met a gentleman who taught me meditation. It helped me to control my inner demons and my inner sense. Now I can hear the voices clearer.”

“Found yourself a guru huh?” Lily put the woman’s hand gently down on the bed and started to get up to leave. “Well I have to get going. I’m sure the nurses will be here soon and I’m not on their best terms these days. They’ll take good care of her. I really wanted to be alone anyway tonight.” She headed for the door.

The young man got up from his chair and came around the bed. “You can’t run away from everyone forever. Find your center and you will be able to defeat all the demons threatening to destroy you from within. Think about what I’m telling you. Your family needs you.”

“I’ll think about it.” Lily was almost out the door when she turned back around. “You never did tell me your name.”

“Dr. Stedman said I was to be called Nathan. She was close, my name is Ethan.” The young man looked at her to see if any spark came from the recognition of his name. “But no one can know that I am here.”

“Well it was nice to meet you Ethan and your secret is safe with me. For once I‘ll be holding the secret.” Lily walked out to the hallway and headed back towards the elevator.

Ethan followed her into the hallway. “Come back tomorrow and I will help you to find your center.”

Lily turned around as she continued walking. “I’m leaving tomorrow for an appointment, but I’ll check up on you both before I go.”

“Make sure you do.” Ethan watched her go around the bend in the hallway and disappear. “Your life depends on it.”

************************

Jarod watched Parker as she got redressed amongst the twinkling lights. A joy permeated through his body that no one would be able to extinguish. His heart was beating wildly and he felt as if he were to die tomorrow it wouldn’t matter. Because he had had that one perfect moment in time.

Parker noticed Jarod staring at her. “You might want to wipe that drool that is running down your chin.”

Jarod ran his hand along his chin line. “I don’t feel any drool...”

Parker started laughing. “I was joking Jarod. We have to work on your sense of humor.”

“Like the Three Stooges. Wah wah wah wah.” Jarod made the Three Stooges gesture.

“Will you ever grow up?” Jarod went to answer, but Parker bent down and put her finger over his lips. He returned the gesture with a kiss. “Don’t answer that. I don’t think I want to know.” Parker handed Jarod his pants. “Better get dressed before the warden catches you with your pants down.”

“Very funny.” Jarod started getting dressed. Now it was Parker’s turn to ogle. “I don’t think that Lily would allow Dr. Stedman in here.” Jarod turned slightly to look at the door on the other side of the room. “But I’m not quite sure that we didn’t give the guards something to talk about.”

“I’d be more worried about making an x-rated video. Did the cameras ever come back on?” Parker looked at the cameras that she knew of in the room. The red lights were still off. “Darn. They’re still off. And I was going to ask for a copy.”

Jarod came up behind Parker and wrapped his arms around her. He gently planted a kiss on her neck.

“Do I know you Sir? I don’t normally let my prey nuzzle on my neck.” Parker tried to hide a smile.

Jarod turned her around and pulled her close to him so that she was almost a part of his own body. “I concede. You have caught me and I hope that you never let me go. I am your prisoner.” He bent down to kiss her, but Parker stopped him. He pulled his head back in shock.

“You will never be my prisoner. Turning points remember. I’d rather you’d be my.... Partner.” Parker took Jarod’s face in her hands and brought it down.

Before their lips locked, she heard Jarod say. “Forever.”

************************

Lyle was not use to waiting. Sitting in this dingy ER waiting room in the middle of nowhere made him cringe. People he had always thought below him rambled past him in disarray. Children with broken limbs, homeless with God knows what diseases, men and women with all sorts of ailments. He had watched numerous emergency cases file in before him. So there he waited. Playing with the medallion that hung around his neck.

“Mr. Lyle. Is there a Mr. Lyle out here?” The nurse screamed over the banter that had filled the waiting room.

“Here.” Lyle yelled as he stepped over the legs of a drunken man that had fallen asleep next to him. He made his way to the nurse.

“The doctor has the results of your films Sir. Please come this way.” The nurse sat Lyle in a room off the main ER room with all its curtained stall. “He’ll be right with you.” She left the room and shut the door.

Lyle looked around the small clinical room and a shiver ran up his spine. He hated confined spaces and he especially hated medical facilities. They always reminded him of...his mind flashed. He was back there again.

Raines had shot him with something. His body relaxed and the guard picked him up and placed him on the gurney. A man in a white jacket was pushing the gurney. He could see through the haze that he was being pushed through a set of doors. He was taken into a room that had allot of bright overhead lights and curtained areas. He could see other gurneys with children on them. He knew something bad was going to happen. A nurse started shaving a section of hair behind his ear. She had turned his head and then he saw his friend being wheeled in. “Lily. No.” Tears ran down his cheeks. “They promised.”

The door opened to the room and Lyle was snapped out of the vision.

“Mr. Lyle. I’m afraid I have some disturbing news. I know that you came in complaining of headaches. We have found a very peculiar item behind your left ear. I’m not sure how this type of device could have been implanted without your knowledge.” He placed several x-rays up onto the screen. “It’s positioned right here.” The doctor circled the spot that Lyle now had gotten up to look at.

And the Boogeyman ate into your brain.

“I want to call a neurologist in. We may have to go in and remove the device in order to stop the headaches. I’m not sure I can get someone in at this late hour, but I don’t want you to leave until I can have someone looks at these.”

Lyle traced his finger around the spot on the x-ray. Then he grabbed his coat and started getting dressed. “That won’t be necessary Doctor.” Lyle turned and grabbed the x-rays off the screen. He headed for the door.

The doctor stood in front of Lyle and tried to block his path. “Sir. I can’t allow you to leave this hospital. You may be seriously ill. If you’re experiencing headaches, you may be leaving with a possible hemorrhage. I advise you to...”

Lyle pushed the man out of his way. “These are all I need doctor. Thank you.” Lyle slipped out the door and headed out of the hospital. He knew that the hospital guards would soon be after him, so he stepped up his pace to his car. He got in and spun out of the parking lot, leaving the guards in his dust. As he drove down the rode he flipped open his cell phone. He punched the button and connected with the Centre. “Get the jet ready. I’m heading for Los Angeles.”

*************************

The Twister board has been set.

The Players are in position.

Poised for that first color to be called.

What will happen when two meet face to face on the same color?

Will they fight for control or work in cooperation?