Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



The Eight Ball has been shaken.

The Player’s futures are at hand.

Each shaking and taking a chance for happiness.

As for the answers - the ball reads “Maybe”

*************************

Angels Hope
The Truth Behid Love and Hate




Jarod took her hands into his. “Faith Parker, you have to have faith.”

“I could say faith is for the religious zealots and the righteous, neither of which have been acquainted with the Centre.” Parker half wisecracked. Jarod made a face at her. “OK. I will believe that you believe she is doing the right thing. But bottom line is if we end up at the Renewal Wing, I’m requesting that you have the seat right next to mine so I can say I told you so.”

“If I’m in the chair next to you, you won’t know me to say anything anyway.” Jarod quipped back. “But that’s never going to happen.” Jarod wrapped his arms around Parker. “United remember. I’m never going to let anything separate us again. Ever.” He leaned down and kissed her again.

Parker relaxed in his arms and allowed him to pull her closer. It was as if time itself had stopped and that they had intertwined into one.

The stars had aligned and the chosen were ready. Ready to face what was ahead of them and what was creeping up behind them.

Jarod pulled back from Parker and just took in her radiance. At that moment, in that place, she was the Parker he had known all those years ago. For the first time he saw contentment in her face. It caused a warm feeling to flush through his body. His stomach had butterflies and his heart was racing. It was a done deal – he was in love.

“What are you thinking?” Parker asked noticing that even though he was looking at her, he was really somewhere else in his mind.

“How I wish we could suspend this moment in time. It’s peaceful. For once I don’t have to worry whether someone is chasing me or is going to hurt you.” Jarod said as he brushed a strand of hair away from her face.

“You worried whether they were going to hurt me? I pack a 9mm and you were worried about me.”

“I worried that with every bit of your life that I gave you, that they would panic and do something stupid. In part, I credit your father for intervening when I think Raines would have pursued other measures. But I knew that even he couldn’t prevent everything. Especially when you got shot in the back. When I saw your body just hanging in your father’s arms and there was so much blood.”

“Syd told me after you escaped from the plane that you were recaptured because you stayed behind for me. You almost spent the rest of your life a slave to the Triumverate because you tried to save me. He also showed me the DSA of what Lyle did to you. You could have gone with your father and been with your family right now. After everything I’d done to you, why did you stay?”

“I went on autopilot. All I could think about was getting you to a hospital. That I couldn’t let you die there on that tarmac.” Jarod lifted Parker’s chin. “I didn’t want you to leave me. I could withstand hell as long as you were all right.”

“Hell being the Centre. Which makes Raines Beelzebub and Lyle the spawn of Satan. And that brings us back to the same problem. Lily’s obsession with my dear brother.” Parker leaned her head against Jarod’s shoulder. “I’m doing it again. Avoiding. I have come to realize when I am doing it.”

Jarod smiled. “Has Dr. Stedman been analyzing you?”

“No. Becky. She told me that I don’t allow myself to feel. She’s right. Every time I think someone is getting close, I push them away. It‘s been that way my entire life.” Parker lifted her head up and gently pushed off Jarod‘s chest. She turned and walked away from Jarod.

Jarod couldn’t move. He was afraid that in that moment she might have changed her mind. That maybe she thought that this was just another moment of weakness. He felt like his heart had stopped beating.

Parker looked up into the trees and touched the leaves. “I don’t want to do that anymore. I’ve taken that hard look Jarod and I don’t like what I see. I wasn’t ready to make that turning point before.”

Jarod came up behind her and put his arms around her. His heart making up the missing beats by furiously thumping in his chest. “But you are now?”

Parker rolled in his arms. “I’m willing to try. I can‘t guarantee anything. I just know that I don‘t want to pass on the Parker legacy to my children. I want them to have my mother‘s legacy.”

Jarod smiled. “That’s the first time I have ever heard you say that you wanted children.”

Parker smiled slyly. “I might want children, if I was with the right man. A white knight with a trusty steed.”

Jarod’s face dropped. “A king or queen has neither knighted me nor do I have a horse.” Parker looked at Jarod in surprise at his answer. Then Jarod gave a big grin. “Only kidding.”

“I’m glad. I was just starting to rethink the whole genius thing.” Parker tickled his ribs. Jarod jumped and laughed from the tickle.

“Ah. A weakness.” Parker began to tickle Jarod again, Jarod backing up trying to escape the attack.

“Parker stop. Please. I don’t want to hurt you.” He backed up so far that he tripped over one of the boulders, which sent him rolling to the ground.

Parker followed him to the ground and continued her assault. “You hurt me. I don’t think so.” She continued her tickling until Jarod was a laughing mess. He tried rolling away, but Parker blocked him with her knee.

Jarod knocked her knee out from under her, which sent her falling face first toward the floor. In one swift movement he rolled over, pinning Parker underneath him. His strong arms outstretched on both sides of her. He could see that she was breathing heavily. She looked beautiful lying there on the grass. The lights twinkling in her eyes.

Parker brought her hands up, cupping his strong chin in her delicate hands. With little resistance, she brought his face down to hers. She began by placing small kisses on his lips and then letting them blossom into a full passionate kiss.

Jarod pulled from the kiss and started to nibble down Parker’s neck. She responded by tilting her head back allowing Jarod full access to start up the other side. She nuzzled into his neck, planting kisses of her own.

Both stopped and looked into each other’s eyes. “Are you sure?” Jarod asked sheepishly.

“I haven’t been more sure of anything in my whole life.” She responded as they intertwined their bodies and souls.

*************************

“You have no idea what I went through. You weren’t there.” Lily retorted.

Mark looked straight into her eyes. “Yes I was.”

Lily was flustered. “What do you mean ‘yes you were’? You were never at the Centre.”

“Mark was one of the green files.” Joan broke the stalemate.

“Green files. You were one of Raines’ projects? You were tortured like I was?” Lily asked realizing that her memories could be his own.

“Raines’ noticed early on that my gifts were more centered on the psychological. I could read people and determine their reactions. He started having me evaluate his experiments. He always threatened that I could either assist him or become like the others.” Mark’s face showed his uneasiness at revealing his past.

“So you assisted him with the experiments?” There was a lump forming in the pit of Lily’s stomach.

“No. I never assisted. I observed and evaluated. I was afraid of him Lily. I couldn’t see any escape and I didn’t want to end up like...”

Lily interrupted him. “Like me.”

Mark looked at Lily and his worst fears were confirmed. So he decided to just lay it all down for her. “When they brought you to the Centre I knew that you were special. There was all this security added and Raines started having more meetings behind closed doors. I would observe you and wipe your brow at the end.”

Lily had a sudden flash of lying on the floor of her room at the Centre and an older boy wiping her forehead with a cold cloth. He was smiling down at her telling her it would be all right.

Mark continued. “I would also watch you through the observation window. I saw you escape from your room and I didn’t say anything. I knew you were meeting Bobby and that it was against the rules. A few times I even tried to stop Raines from doing his experiments. That’s when it all came to an end.”

Lily’s eyes were tearing. She was desperately trying to keep her anger in check. “An end?”

Mark came up to Lily and tenderly held her by her elbows. “When Raines found out that I was protecting you, he went on a rampage.”

“You stood up to Raines for me?” Lily kept looking at Mark’s chest, not able to look into his eyes.

Mark took her hands to his face and motioned yes. He kissed her hands and let them go. “He tore the room apart. Screamed that I betrayed him and after he had treated me like a son. I told him that I wouldn’t let him do anything to you any more. That I was going to get you out of there. He told me that my objectivity had been compromised and I had become a liability. That night he sent me to another facility. I fought to try and get to you, but in the end he just sedated me and shipped me off. I tried to get the doctor‘s at the new facility to tell me how you were, but they told me to concentrate on my studies.”

“You were in love with me even then, weren’t you?” Lily asked trying to digest everything she had heard.

“In a young boy’s way, yes I suppose. But in the end I couldn’t save you. I wanted to die. Then in my mid teens Joan’s people found me.”

“And I brought him to a safe house. I financed his college education and then brought him here.” Joan added trying to size up what Lily would do next.

Mark also was trying to read Lily’s face. “Lily. I know there is a lot that you are remembering and some of that is information I possess…”

“But no further information is going to be given out without my authorization.” Joan ended Mark’s sentence. Mark gave a frustrated look to Joan. “I mean it. No more!” She said sharply.

Lily’s face looked drained and her body tired. She turned to Joan. “I don’t want to argue any more. I’m over it. You want to keep secrets, go ahead.” Lily headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” Mark asked heading for the door after her.

“I need to get out of here. I need time to think. There are too many things and too many voices talking inside my head and I need to get a handle on things.” Lily opened the door and Mark went to follow. Lily put her palm up against his chest. “Alone.” The hurt expression on Mark’s face conveyed his disappointment. She looked past Mark to Joan. “The funny thing about secrets. They tend to come around and bite you in the ass. And by the way, Jarod and Miss Parker are in the arboretum. I gave them a night to be alone so that they can figure out their lives. I strongly suggest that you give them that time. After everything they‘ve gone through, they deserve one night off.” Lily turned back around and in a second was gone through the door.

Mark looked at Joan with angered eyes. “I will be in my office Dr. Stedman.” He stormed out the door leaving Joan standing in the middle of the room wondering how everything had become such a mess.

*************************

And for the first time in a long time Lyle felt his soul. And it ached with the pain of everything that he had gone through. He pulled his knees up to his chest. Sitting on the floor of his office alone and in pain, he did something that he hadn’t done since he was six - he cried.

“What are you doing you idiot? Sitting on the floor babbling like a baby. Pull yourself together.” Lyle wiped all evidence of the tears from his face. He went into his washroom and splashed cold water onto his face. He grabbed the small blue hand towel and wiped his face. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught the reflection of himself. Hair nicely groomed, crisp suit - everything that the good Centre employee was suppose to wear. Or was it good Centre puppet. Suddenly the image that reflected from that mirror revolted him.

He had been a free spirit as a child. Intelligent, athletic, fun loving - all taken away by Raines and the Bowman’s. They had stolen his childhood. When he should have been playing football and going to the movies with girls - he had been locked in a shed. Raines had taken him and sent him to places where he learned torture and use inhumane ways of hurting people. He had never questioned these lessons before. He had embraced them and coveted them as his own.

The memories were there. He could feel them. Waiting like a floodgate to crash open upon him. They held the key to why he had become who he was. But now, these ideas disgusted him. Lyle walked out of the rest room and went to the vase of flowers. He picked the vase up and looked at the intricate design. Why had she sent them? A reminder of who she was? His fingers ran across the glassy textured surface till he hit a larger design in the pattern.

He felt that the design was raised about an inch above the vase. It was circular in shape. Lyle thought for a moment and then took the flowers out of the vase. He raised the vase above his head and smashed it on the floor. The fragile vase broke into a million pieces. Lyle got onto his knees and searched through the broken pieces till he found what he had been looking for. A medallion on a chain had been imbedded into the vase. There was an engraving on it. “Wear this if you want the true answers. Love, L.” He also spotted a piece of paper amongst the pieces. He read it to himself. “Seek the theater of Truth and you will find me. I know the secrets and have the solutions. I will see you in two days at the city of Angels.”

Lyle put the piece of paper in his jacket pocket and after a moment put the chain of the medallion over his head. He tucked the medallion into his shirt. He went to the phone and dialed. “This is Lyle. I want you to locate Sydney and Broots and page me when you find them.” Lyle pulled the phone book out of his desk and started looking through the pages looking for non-Centre affiliated clinics.

************************

Lily had gotten onto the elevator, her guard behind her like a tail. “Larry. Tonight, can you just give me a little space?”

“I can’t leave you totally alone Miss Lily, but I think I can keep far enough behind that you won’t notice me.”

The elevator doors opened and Lily went to walk out. “Thank you Larry. You’re the first one today to respect my wishes.”

“You’re welcome. I hope that you find whatever you’re looking for.”

“I hope so too.” Lily had gotten off on one of the dormitory floors that were seldom used. She had just wanted to get away from everyone and think. She walked down the rose and pink colored hallway just clearing her mind. She had stopped to look at one of the paintings when she heard music playing down the hall. She could hear the words.

She sits alone

An empty stare

A mother’s face she wears.

Where did she go wrong?

The fight is gone.

Lord help this broken home.....

Lily looked through the open door and saw a woman lying in the bed. She looked so frail. Lily could see tuffs of red hair under her bandages. Lily had an urge to go in and hold the woman’s hand. “What terrible thing has happened to you?”

And from the dark corner of the room came a response. “She’s lost.”

Lily turned to see a good-looking young man sitting in the corner. “Hello. My name is Lily. Who are you?”

“A game piece to the your future.” The young man replied

************************

The Roulette wheel spins.

The ball is in motion.

The world is spinning out of control.

Which Players will come up winners?

And which will just keep waiting for the spinning to stop.