Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans.



The Game is afoot – taking on new playing fields.

A Defense is being mounted.

The Light has broken through for some, has become clouded for others.

What will be the next play?

*************************

Angels Hope
Act 3 Scene 2



Jarod saw her faltering and took her hand. “Don’t do this Parker. Don’t move backwards. You’ve taken this first step in reclaiming your life. Don’t let them have the control back.”

Parker straightened up. “I am the master of my own destiny. No longer will I allow Raines or his crew to have control over me.”

Jarod looked her in the eyes. “Then say it. Say the one thing you know they would never allow you to feel or say.”

Parker looked at the room around them, glistening with twinkling lights. Back around to the table, glowing with the flickering of the candles that reflected off the crystal. And then back at Jarod. In the lighting a glowing haze seemed to envelop him as if he were glowing himself. The man who had been there during every difficult moment of her life – her father, her mother, Tommy, Lyle. No matter what she had done to him, what her family had done to him – he was always there for her. Knew who she was and where she came from. With the bottom line being - he didn’t care. A simple kiss had unlocked everything. She looked in to his eyes and started to speak. “I… I…”

Jarod just kept his eyes on hers, knowing that this was a momentous decision for her. If he said anything prematurely, everything would crumble. He found himself holding his breath as he waited for the words he so wanted to say himself.

“I love you.” There she had said it. It was like the weight of a thousand tons had been lifted off her chest. No sign of weakness. The world had not come to an end. Just three simple words said.

Jarod could see she was shaking ever so slightly. He reached across the table and took her hands. Parker held her breath as she waited for his response. “I love you too.”

That school girl smile that Jarod remembered all those years ago, shone across her face. “I never thought I would be able to say those words again.”

Jarod lifted her hand and kissed it softly. “I know. It’s going to be all right. We’re together now. No one will be able to separate or hurt us.”

“That’s yet to be seen.” Parker contemplated asking something. “When did you first know?”

“Know what?” Jarod asked puzzled by her question.

“That you loved me.” Parker decided to take a bite of food before it got cold.

“Ever since you gave me my first kiss.” Parker gave him a look. “I’m not joking. When I left the Centre, I knew that they were going to send someone after me. I was so happy when it was you.” Jarod decided to join her in tasting the delicious pasta dish in front of him.

“So you show your love for me by driving me crazy and giving me an ulcer?” Parker kept her poker face on, even though she was teasing him.

Jarod poured them a glass of wine. “I didn’t give you the ulcer, the Centre did. Now for driving you crazy…” Jarod smiled a sweet ‘I’m an angel look’. “At first it was a matter of ‘I can keep one step in front of you’ – like hide and seek. But then I started to find things out. And it wasn’t a game any more. I thought you deserved to know the truth. And somewhere in there I realized that my antics were a way of keeping us connected.”

“And I spent my time trying not to think about the connection. I was taught that love was a liability that someone could use against you. But I think Sydney was hoping that.. well you know…we would find each other. Especially after Thomas died.” Parker took a long drink of the wine.

“I’m sorry about Thomas. I never meant for you to get hurt again. I never thought the Centre would…” Jarod felt a sadness fall over him as he remembered his fallen friend.

“I know Jarod. I understood then. His death wasn’t your fault. Bridgette had her own agenda. In the end, my stepmother got what she deserved.” Parker finished her glass of wine.

“She received her judgment for Thomas’ death by paying with her own life.” Jarod decided to take a drink of his wine.

“You drink wine? And you‘ve taken on spirituality?” Parker looked surprise. “Things have changed since you left the Centre. There was a time when the only thing that would pass your lips was a pure sugar Pez and the closest to religion was what the Centre fed you.” She gave a half smile.

Jarod smiled. “Thank you for changing the subject.” Jarod took another bite of his food. “A lot has changed since when I first left the Centre. I have spoken to many people, learned much about their beliefs. They said to have faith. I guess they were right. Have faith and anything can happen. Even us.“ Jarod looked off. “And I learned there are more enjoyable things in this world than what the Centre fed me. Nutritiously and for my soul. But there is still a piece missing. A void I haven’t filled yet. Even after finding half my family, I don’t feel whole. I still don’t know who I am.”


“And I started out knowing who I was; to just find out I wasn’t who I thought I was. How dysfunctional are we?”

“Very. That makes us a perfect couple.” Jarod smiled. “Do you realize that we’re having an actual civil conversation?”

“Who would have imagined? The lab rat and the huntress sitting down to dinner and not a 9mm in site.” Parker smiled. “I almost wish it wouldn’t end. But reality awaits us.”

Jarod sighed. “Can’t you think of anything but business for a little while?”

“No. I’m a realist. This is an illusion put together by your sister.” Parker retorted.

“My feelings for you aren’t an illusion. Seems everyone around us could see them except us.”

Parker frowned. “Everyone? Who’s everyone?”

“Lily didn’t plan this all on her own. We know that Becky was involved and who knows who else. And I’m sure Sydney would be thrilled to see us together and away from the Centre.”

“He’s always wanted me to leave the Centre. Be free of their influence. The Centre’s involvement in Michelle and Nicholas’s disappearance out of his life just confirmed that for him. But we have to be realistic Jarod. How are we going to stop the Centre?”


“It’s no longer me against the Centre or you against the Centre. It’s Angel’s Hope against the Centre. Your true legacy. The Centre was never your legacy, not if your mother had her way and Lily’s plan will cement that.”

“One victory for Lily does not ‘bring down the Centre’ make. Raines will come after us and with everything at his disposal. You’re one of his properties Jarod. He doesn’t look at people for being people. He has burned the soul out of himself. He has also set a challenge for Lyle and I. He has taken Daddy‘s position at the Centre and wants me to...”

“Shhh” Jarod put his finger over Parker’s lips. “It doesn’t matter what Raines says or does. His time is short. Lily has already started Stage II and...” Jarod stopped his words abruptly and pulled his hand back.

“Why did you stop so suddenly? What is Stage II?” Concern mounted in Parker’s voice. “What is she planning Jarod?”

“I’m not sure you will agree with part of it. I’m not sure I agree with part of it.”

Parker gave him that tell me or die face.

“Lily is trying to contact Bobby.” Parker’s face changed to fear.

“She can’t do that Jarod. He’s not Bobby, he’s Lyle. What is she thinking?” Parker got up and walked away from the table and towards the door. She stopped when she remembered that the doors were locked.

“Calm down Parker.” Jarod came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. She instinctively went to pull away, but then relaxed a little. “Together. Remember?”

“She’s going to get us all a one way ticket to the Renewal Wing.” Parker said exasperated.

“She seems to think she can reach him. That the Bobby she knew is still in there somewhere. Just like her memories were hidden for all these years.”

“Jarod. I have been working with him all these years. I can see the coldness in his eyes.” She stopped for a moment before she proceeded. “Sydney and I think that he has killed women. We couldn’t prove it, Lyle got rid of the evidence.”


“I know. I’ve told her to be careful. She said that if this first initial contact doesn’t work, she’ll proceed with her plan as if he were Lyle. But it’s something else about this whole thing.” Jarod walked back among the twinkling lights. “It has to do with redemption.” Parker followed him back into the room. Jarod turned back around to face Parker. “I think as much as I helped all those people to atone for the pain and suffering that my simulations caused, she has to do this to atone for whatever happened with Lyle. I can’t blame her for that. So even though I believe that Lyle is as evil as Raines, I have to let her try. If there is the slightest chance she can reach him, I have to let her try. For her own sanity.”

Parker paced around in her spot and then looked up at Jarod. “I know...but it’s Lyle.”

Jarod took her hands into his. “Faith Parker, you have to have faith.”

************************

Mark brushed slightly against Lily’s cheek as he came around to face her. He gently took her chin and lifted her face to his. Nervously he let his lips touch hers and kissed her.

Lily pulled away, turning so her back was to Mark. Closing her eyes in an effort to decipher the emotions that she was feeling.

Mark hung his head. “I could take it as a good sign that you didn’t kill me right on the spot for kissing you.” He lifted his head and turned her around to face him. “I need to know one thing. When this is all over, will there be an us?”

************************

Players

Each trying to find out where they fit in the game.

Moving in straight lines and circles.

In the end, trying to figure out who they are.