Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans. I also do not own any music by Phil Collins including Against All Odds.


Chapter 25: The Game: Act II Scene 3 (Reflections and Contemplations)



The five players are defining their roles.

Fate and Truth are becoming entangled.

Trust is being given freedom.

Hope has taken his post.

Revenge will be searching for clarity.

Will the game bring total freedom or total despair?

*************************

Angels Hope
Act 2 Scene 3



Jarod paused a moment trying to read her body language. “You’ve gotten what you always wanted - you’re free.”

Parker turned back around. “Can we call this free? Now not only are you being chased, but so am I.”

“But we’re not being chased. We’re here. We could stay here and Raines, Lyle, Cox – none of them would be able to get to us. It would be you and me working together for the better good. For once – change the story and let the ending be up to you. Not them.” Jarod took Parker’s hands and pulled her into an embrace.

Lily, seeing her brother embrace Parker, pressed the button on her console that allowed a string of music to start playing. She turned off the monitor in the room; this was their private time. She could feel Mark move up behind her, but she didn’t move and just kept working at the console.

Parker recognized the music that seemed to permeate from the trees themselves as one of Phil Collins’ songs. “Against All Odds. Your sister is trying to persuade us.”

Jarod started to slow dance with her. She tensed under his touch. “I have to appease my sister.” Jarod didn’t know the song, but just smiled for having Parker in his arms.

Lyle started to turn from the monitor, when he heard the words from Against All Odds start to be sung. He turned again and looked at the monitor. “Who are you?”

Parker started mouthing the words of the song to Jarod who was entranced with just looking into her eyes as he listened to the words. He found himself intoxicated by the beauty of Parker’s face in the dim lighting. Parker found herself trying to convince herself of the words.

How can I just let you walk away, just let you leave without a trace
When I stand here taking every breath with you, ooh

You're the only one who really knew me at all


Lyle leaned onto his elbows toward the screen and touched the image of Lily as she sang the lyrics to the song.

Mark moved to the side of Lily, kneeling down beside her and placing his hand on hers. Lily just kept looking straight at the computer. She knew that the broadcast had started on Bobby’s end. The computer had beeped with the acknowledgement that the pre-taped transmission had begun. After a few moments, she pushed the button that activated the jamming device signal.


How can you just walk away from me,
when all I can do is watch you leave


Parker started to outline Jarod’s rugged face with her finger; gently tracing his lips and chin. The touch of Parker’s finger sent shivers down Jarod’s spine.

Cos we've shared the laughter and the pain and even shared the tears
You're the only one who really knew me at all

Lyle suddenly felt a sharp pain behind his ear. After a few moments it subsided. He looked at the woman’s face again and could see the pain. Not physical pain, but a pain in her soul. He knew that there was a reason for that pain. The memory was right at the tip of his tongue.

So take a look at me now, oh there's just an empty space
And there's nothing left here to remind me,
just the memory of your face
Ooh take a look at me now, well there's just an empty space
And you coming back to me is against all odds and that's what I've got to face


Mark pulled Lily up out of her chair and guided her to the middle of the room. He brought her close, looking into her soft brown eyes. She started to say something, but Mark put a finger to her lips. He started to sing the song that he could hear playing from the computer.


I wish I could just make you turn around,
turn around and see me cry


Parker looked into Jarod’s chestnut brown eyes. And it was there. In his eyes she could see the years of confinement, the years of running, and then she saw the only thing that mattered to him. Through everything else that had happened in his life. Her reflection.

There's so much I need to say to you,
so many reasons why
You're the only one who really knew me at all


Lyle looked at the flowers that were sitting next to his monitor. A flash of the young girl came to him again. They were sitting in a waiting room. He closed his eyes for a second and the music played on.

Jarod, now recognizing the refrain of the song, softly sang the words to Parker. Parker was shocked at the beautiful sound of his singing voice.


So take a look at me now, well there's just an empty space
And there's nothing left here to remind me, just the memory of your face
Now take a look at me now, cos there's just an empty space

Mark spoke the words softly into Lily’s ear as he leaned down cheek to cheek.

Jarod continued to sing to Parker. She softened in his grip and moved closer to him.

But to wait for you, is all I can do and that's what I've got to face
Take a good look at me now, cos I'll still be standing here
And you coming back to me is against all odds
It's the chance I've gotta take

Take a look at me now.


Jarod leaned down, Parker tilted her head and the two kissed. Finishing what had been started on Carthis.

Mark brushed slightly against Lily’s cheek as he came around to face her. He gently took her chin and lifted her face to his. Nervously he let his lips touch hers and kissed her.

Lyle opened his eyes with a start and looking at the flowers. “Lily.”

************************

The room was decorated as if it were a bedroom. Wallpaper, chairs, dresser, and a private bathroom. The young man had pulled up a chair next to the woman’s bed. The nurses had been in and out of the room since their arrival checking the vitals of the seriously hurt woman. She was mumbling in her sleep. The nurses could not make out what she was saying, but the young man knew. She was saying her son’s name.

The young man knew that a time was approaching when he would have to leave her. He had been told it. He had also been told that they had to stay hidden for now. That their presence there right now would interrupt what was unfolding. What was meant to be. So for now he would sit and wait. Hoping that she would pull through.



*************************

Raines’ vehicle pulled up to the front doors of NuGenesis. A woman and two men came out of the front doors. The one Sweeper got out of the car and opened the door for Raines. After Raines had removed himself and his air tank from the vehicle, he walked over to the waiting entourage.

“Good afternoon Mr. Raines.” The woman walked up to him.

“How are the renovations going for the new facility Dr. Randolph?” Raines asked wheezing his way up the handicap walk.

“The facility is almost complete. The equipment will be in place by tomorrow afternoon.” The doctor responded quickly.

“When can we expect our patients to arrive?” Asked the man who had quietly come up behind the group of doctors.

“Ahh. Mr. Klos. Thank you for joining us.” Raines walked through the front doors of the Center and started for the conference room. “Mr. Cox will be retrieving Ms. Broots soon. We are having a problem with security at the moment. I didn’t want to take any chances with this project. We’ve already lost one of the subjects.”

“Yes. A certain woman has been giving the Centre a run for your money. Very interesting. A frontal attack upon a corporation that has unlimited resources. Very bold.” He seated himself at the left side of the head of the table. “When we catch her, I would like to personally conduct her interrogation. It should be very interesting.”

“There will be enough time for that Klos.” Raines reached into the brief case that the Sweeper had brought in for him. “This is a list of all the female subjects that were utilized during the age bracket we believe she is in. I need you, as head of security for this project, to tell me which one she is.”

“How do you know she is one of these girls?” Klos asked with curiosity.

“You’ll see the profiles of their stay with us. It will explain why I believe it is one of them.” Raines continued. “I have confidence that you will be able to eliminate the problem once you have found out who she is?”

“Swiftly and quickly Mr. Raines. She will be delivered to you as docile as a kitten. Will the transfer of current subjects be delayed until her capture?”

“Let’s see how fast you can deliver her.” Raines turned to the rest of the group. “Dr. Randolph how is the conditioning of the child going? Are you seeing any progress with him?”

“He is still resisting the external stimuli for negative reinforcement. We are only seeing a sample of empathic ability, but we believe that he may be masking his gifts.”

“At three years old?” Raines asked intrigued.

The doctor continued. “It’s like someone is coaching him to not use it. We have caught him talking when no one is in the room.”

Dr. Myers, one of the other doctor’s at the table, chimed in. “But then it’s within his developmental stage to have imaginary friends.”

“This boy is well beyond his developmental stage doctor. He is a Super Pretender. Will possibly even exceed the expectations we had for Jarod. Both his mother and father came from the Prodigy program.”

“We will keep you updated Mr. Raines if we have any further developments. Should we also forward an update to Mr. Lyle? ” Asked Dr. Randolph as she wrote her notes in her palm pilot.

“No. For right now Lyle is out of the project. He is becoming a liability. I cannot afford for any more seizures of my subjects. Especially the boy. Klos, make sure that only a limited number of people are assigned to this case. I don’t want wind of this to get anywhere near Jarod.”

“I thought Jarod was MIA as of this point. Him and the Parker woman.” Klos asked looking up from his files.

“I’m not sure how much persuasion their kidnappers would have to do to get them on their side. As of now, Miss Parker is considered a hostile element towards the Centre.” Raines got up to leave. “IF she returns, then we will have to evaluate her continued loyalty to the Centre.”

The others gathered up their belongings and left the room. Raines pulled Klos aside. “I want security tripled once the Broots girl is obtained. Not only will we be expecting retaliation from Mr. Broots, but I can’t believe that wherever Jarod and Miss Parker are that they will sit by and let it happen.”

“Why then tripled? We’re already set for Jarod and Parker.” Klos asked questioningly.

“Because wherever they are, they are going to plead their case to her.” Raines held up a picture of Lily. “And right now I believe she is more dangerous than Jarod, Parker, and Broots combined.”

*************************

Jarod finished the kiss. He pulled his face away far enough to look to see what Parker’s reaction was. To his delight, she didn’t look like she was about to pull out her 9mm.

Parker opened her eyes as Jarod pulled his lips from hers. She was looking at his expression. “What?”

“I was just checking that you weren’t going to kill me.” Jarod said with a smile.

Parker smiled back. “Do you think that you are that bad of a kisser?”

“Do women normally judge how men show their affection?” Jarod asked as he led Parker over to the candlelit table. The light reflected playfully off the beautiful crystal.

“You have a lot to learn Jarod.” Parker retorted as she took her seat.

“And I’m hoping you will teach me.” He responded with a smile that outshone the crystal. He took his seat. “So where do we go from here?” Jarod lifted the covers off of his and Parker’s plates.

Parker smelled the delicious aroma coming from the plate, but then let out a long sigh. “I don’t know Jarod. I’m not even sure we should be heading down this road.”

Jarod saw her faltering and took her hand. “Don’t do this Parker. Don’t move backwards. You’ve taken this first step in reclaiming your life. Don’t let them have the control back.”

Parker straightened up. “I am the master of my own destiny. No longer will I allow Raines or his crew to have control over me.”

Jarod looked her in the eyes. “Then say it. Say the one thing you know they would never allow you to feel or say.”

Parker looked at the room around them, glistening with twinkling lights. Back around to the table, glowing with the flickering of the candles that reflected off the crystal. And then back at Jarod. In the lighting a glowing haze seemed to envelope him as if he were glowing himself. The man who had been there during every difficult moment of her life – her father, her mother, Tommy, Lyle. No matter what she had done to him, what her family had done to him – he was always there for her. Knew who she was and where she came from. With the bottom line being - he didn’t care. A simple kiss had unlocked everything. She looked in to his eyes and started to speak. “I… I…”

************************

The Game is afoot – taking on new playing fields.

A Defense is being mounted.

The Light has broken through for some, has become clouded for others.

What will be the next play?