Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All the Pretender characters are the sole property of “The Pretender” creators Steve Mitchell and Craig Van Sickle. All other characters are created by the author of this work with no correlation to anyone living or deceased. This written work is produced solely for recreational purposes, to honor “The Pretender” series and to entertain its fans. I also do not own any music by Phil Collins including Against All Odds.

Authors Note: As promised here is the next installment of my Pretender saga! Do you like do you hate? Should I stop torturing you all with the Chapters LOL Please let me know? Now on with the show!



Chapter 24: The Game: Act II Scene 2 (Sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses)


Strategy has brought the five players together.

Fate has his destiny unraveling before him.

Truth will be presented to the one who is seeking it.

Trust must allow for emotions to be felt and revealed.

Hope has just arrived.

Revenge is seeking justice.

*************************

Angels Hope
Act 2 Scene 2



“Your mother will have to stay here under observation. We are putting you in a special secure section of Angel’s Hope so that you can retain your privacy. Let the staff know if you have any needs. We have a wide arrange of services including counseling if you need someone to talk to.” Joan gave that pleasant therapist smile. “I promise things can only get better.”

The young man looked at the woman on the gurney and then back at Joan. “Yes, I believe they will.”

“Well again. Welcome and I hope that you will be comfortable with your accommodations.” Joan watched as they wheeled the woman down the hall with the young man at her side. “It’s refreshing to see such devotion from a son.” She turned to Sean. “Please put regular protocols in place. Watch them. I’m sure they are legitimate with the woman’s injuries being so severe, but better safe than sorry.”

“Yes Dr. Stedman. I’ll let Security know. How is Lily?” Sean asked as he marked his paperwork that would be forwarded to Security.

“She’ll be fine Sean. Thank you for asking. It will just take some time to adjust to her change in attitude. But everything is going somewhat as planned.” Joan started down the hallway. “Sean. Please get me a copy of Mark’s latest report. I’d like to review it before dinner.”

“Certainly Dr. Stedman.” The efficient assistant headed off to get the report and Stedman headed for her office.

************************

Jarod came fully into the room. He noticed Parker sitting at the desk as if she had been there her whole life. “That desk becomes you.”

“It’s become my home away from home. Not like I have anywhere to go or people to see.” Parker retorted coolly.

Jarod picked up on her coolness. “I’m sorry that you are feeling alone. It’s just that so many things are going on.”

“You don’t have to feel sorry for anyone Pez Boy. And who said that I was feeling alone. I don’t feel anything.” Parker got up from the desk.

“Maybe that’s part of the problem.” Jarod looked at her with sorrowful eyes. “Maybe you need to start feeling things. I’m worried about Lily too. She’s become reclusive. She use to feel everything and now she’s put up all these defenses.”

“Maybe it’s better that way. No one will be able to hurt her.” Parker moved around the desk and walked over to her mother’s picture.

Jarod took in a deep breath. He knew that it would be difficult reaching her and did he really want to keep trying. She was making it obvious that she wasn’t interested in…anything. “Your mother wouldn’t be happy to see the two of you like this. She loved you and cared for Lily. Wanted the best for both of you.”

“Well funny how my mother loved me so much that she brought Lily here instead of me.” Parker just kept looking at the picture, as the words came out that she had been thinking all this time.

Jarod realized what she was saying and moved closer to Parker. “You’re jealous of Lily.”

Parker swung around. “To hell with you. I don’t get jealous!”

“Your mother loved you very much. You can’t believe in your heart that she didn’t. I don’t think she had a choice in bringing Lily here first. Her life was in danger from Raines.” Jarod moved so that he was face to face with Parker. He took her hands. “You and I in certain terms were safe. Sydney somewhat protecting me and your father, in his way, protecting you. I’m sure she wanted to bring you here, but something went wrong after she faked her death in the elevator.”

Parker pulled her hands away and turned from Jarod. “It doesn’t matter.” There was a sadness in her voice that Jarod recognized always happened when she talked about her mother. “She’s dead.”

Jarod turned her around. “And because your father is dead, you’ll never get the answers. You’re wrong Parker. The answers are here. You just have to look for them. This is where her last thoughts before her death are stored. Her journals, notes, personal items. They’re all here for you. She preserved them for you. Joan didn’t leave this room like this just because she wanted a shrine. I’m sure she hoped one day you would be here. Getting the answers you have been looking for all this time.”

“I’m tired of the search Jarod.” Parker broke free of his grip. “It gets me no where but to more misery. The Centre has my life wrapped around its little finger and I can’t ever break free. I lived my whole life trying to get Daddy’s attention only to find out that he isn’t my father. He’s my uncle. And that the wheezing sack of bones I’ve detested my whole life is my real father. It makes me ill.” Parker slid down the front of the desk onto the floor. “I just don’t want to do this anymore. I’m tired.”

Lily had knocked on the door between her office and Catherine Parker’s. She could hear voices, so she opened the office door slightly. Lily listened to Parker and quietly re-shut the door. Lily put her back up against the door and lowered her head.

She knew that Jarod loved Parker and that Parker had the protective walls up that Jarod kept talking about. The walls that surround you because of the Centre. She was going to have to get them alone. Without all the interruptions of what was going on. They deserved the happiness that had eluded them for so long. The happiness they didn’t have a chance at mainly because Catherine Parker saved her instead of them.

She went to the entrance door of her office and opened it up. Larry was standing there.

“Is there something I can do for you Miss Lily?” Larry asked.

“Yes. I want you to radio to the commissary and get the following items set up for me…”

*************************

Lyle strode through the doors of the Centre from the parking garage. He was tired of being played and not being in control of his life. He pushed the button for the elevator and waited impatiently for the doors to open. Raines was going to give him the information he wanted.

The elevator doors opened and out walked Raines accompanied by two of the men from the Sweeper team. “Nice of you to show up today Lyle.”

“I have to talk to you. Now.” Lyle hissed subtly, his face showing his determination.

“Whatever it is Lyle, unless it has to do with that woman, it’s going to have to wait. I have an appointment.”

“You can be late. I want answers.” Lyle made an aggressive move towards Raines.

The two Sweepers accompanying Raines moved into a protective stance. “You’re in no position to order me anywhere.” Raines started to walk away and turned back to Lyle. “I don’t have time for your games boy. Bring me tangible evidence or you can be removed permanently from my sight. Remember who’s in charge here.” Raines turned back around and headed for his car that was now waiting. The two Sweepers watched Lyle as Raines got into the car then followed him into the car.

Lyle, steaming from the encounter, waited for Raines’ car to drive out of sight and then punched the column. He started shaking his hand. “I wouldn’t count on it old man. You’re not going to be in charge for long.”

He pushed the button again for the elevator and the doors opened. He was in a bad mood now and someone was going to be the brunt of it. He would have to find Angelo or Broots. They were always good for a tongue-lashing. Sydney always challenged him. He was no fun to harass. The elevator doors opened and he proceeded to his office. His secretary wasn’t at her desk. Another thing he would have to correct. He got inside and slammed the doors shut. He turned around to see a vase of flowers sitting on his desk.

“What the hell is this? Lilies? The flower for death.” A card was sitting amongst the beautiful flowers. He pulled out the card and read it out loud. “Turn on your computer.” Lyle went and put his computer on. The main desktop screen came up. “Nothing. What is going on in this place? I’m going to get my gun and….” Suddenly her face came on the screen.

“Hello Bobby....”

************************

There was a knock on the office door. Parker quickly got up off the floor and straightened herself. Jarod went to the door and opened it. Standing there was Becky.

“Hi Jarod. Am I interrupting anything?” Becky peeked into the room to see Parker rounding the end of her mother’s desk.

“No. We were just talking. What can I do for you?” Jarod motioned for her to come into the room.

“No. I can’t come in. Lily was wondering if you and Miss Parker could come down to the arboretum. She has to talk to you both.”

“Is there something wrong Becky?” Jarod asked getting concerned.

“Nothing wrong. She wanted to get your input on something that she has been working on.” Becky said with a smile.

“I don’t know if this is the best time Becky. Maybe I can come by in a little bit and…” Jarod started but was interrupted by Parker pushing him out of the way.

“Now is perfect. Peachy.” She went right past Jarod and into the hallway.

“I guess now is a good time.” Jarod shook his head, following Becky out of the door way and down the hall. The women in his life had a habit of dodging important conversations. The group entered the elevator and got off on sublevel 6.

Becky escorted them to the arboretum doors. She opened the door and allowed Jarod and Parker to pass. Without entering the room, she closed the door behind them. She took out a cell phone and hit speed dial. “They’re in.”

Lily was sitting in the control room for the arboretum. She typed onto the keyboard and secured all the locks. After her breakdown in there, Joan had made the control panels inaccessible from the room. So she had complete control of the exit.

Jarod turned and noticed that Becky had not entered with them. He went back to the glass door and tried to open it. It was locked. “What’s going on?” He tried the door handle again to no avail. “Becky!” He yelled through the glass, but the woman was nowhere in sight.

“Jarod. Come here.” Parker yelled from further inside the room.

When he approached the room, he finally saw what Parker was looking at. There were white twinkling light in the trees, soft lighting, sounds of crickets and night life, and a beautiful table set in the middle of the room. There were two candles, fine china, and crystal glasses. All he could say was. “What?”

“Because it’s time the two of you make up your minds.” Came Lily’s voice through the loud speakers hidden somewhere in the room. “ It’s sink or swim. The two of you have been dancing around each other and neither will express your true feelings. So now, you don’t get out until you do. This way you know where each of you stands. I’m voting for the theory: united we stand, divided we fall. But that’s just my choice .”

“Lily. Open these doors!” Jarod yelled. His eyes were pleading while he looked for the room cameras. “Don’t do this.”

“It’s my fault the two of you are where you are in your lives. Now I’m correcting that.” Lily’s voice sounded hurt.

Parker thought for a moment. “You heard what we said in the office didn’t you? Were you watching us like you are now?”

“No. I would never do that. Yes, I accidentally heard part of your conversation in the office. I knocked on the door, but you didn’t hear me. When I opened the door, I overheard your conversation. So I didn’t want to disturb you. But I’m correcting part of what’s wrong now. The two of you need to resolve your relationship.”

“Relationship. I can’t have any relationships in my life Lily. Love is a luxury I’m not allowed.” Parker tried to explain, not sounding very convincing.

“The only person stopping you is you. Raines, Lyle, the Centre. They have no control over you now. Soon Raines will be out of the picture. And if he’s not, he’s got to suspect that you are helping me by now. So either way, you will both have to rely on each other. Better that you fight together than separately. So I’m going for now. But I’m going to leave you with a little musical incentive.” There was silence for a moment and then Lily came on. “And brother dear. This music is perfect for slow dancing. Hint. Hint.”

“I’m going to kill her.” Is all Jarod said.

“Stand in line.” Parker retorted.

************************

“You just have to control everything around you, don’t you?”

Lily turned around to see Becky standing behind her. “I don’t control everything.” Lily half smiled, half smirked.

“What do you call this?” Becky pointed to the monitor.” Now I’m only helping you this time because I think you’re right. I can feel it generating off both of them. But they’ve been running and chasing each other for so long, they won’t admit that they’re in love.” Becky thought for a moment. “I also did the other favor you asked me to, even though I don’t totally agree with you. I had Claudia send the flowers and the jamming device is in place on the vase. Are you sure this is going to work? His conditioning may be irreversible after all these years.”

Lily turned back to the keyboard and started typing. The signal was generating from the vase. “It’s the only way I know to reach him. I know Bobby is in there somewhere. Just like my memories were. I have to hope that by jamming his chip those memories will surface. We need his alliance.”

“We need or you need?” Becky asked already knowing the answer. “I think you need the redemption more than he needs the saving. Remember I have been your sister forever and I know you, besides being able to read you like a book.”

Lily turned from her desk. “Sometimes I wish I could turn off that gift of yours. You know me too well. Either way – I need him out of the way to get to Raines.”

There was a knock on the door. Becky started heading for the door. “There is also something else that needs to get fixed.” She opened the door and Mark was standing there. “Take your own advice. Resolve issues. Night.” Becky closed the door behind her.

“Wait!” Lily got up and ran past Mark. She opened the door to find Larry standing there. She went to go past him and was blocked.

“Sorry Miss Lily. I have strict orders from Miss Becky not to let you out of this room until she says so.” Larry said standing his ground.

“And since when does she have authority over me?” Lily’s temper flared.

“Since she has Dr. Stedman’s authorization And she told me to tell you this. Don’t dish out what you don’t want served back to yourself.”

Lily stood there in shock and then broke out laughing. Only Becky would use her own mission against her. “I’m sorry Larry. I didn’t mean to get flippant with you.”

“Quite alright Miss Lily. Have a good talk.” Larry smiled and closed the door as Lily stepped back into the room.

“I’m sorry Lily. I didn’t know this is what Becky called me up here for. She said that you needed me to help you with the mission.” Mark had sincerity in his voice and Lily knew that he was telling the truth.

“It’s OK. Becky has a sick sense of irony in her. I have to get back to work.” Lily went over and sat at the console. “I have to monitor a project and I have to start the music for Jarod and Miss Parker.”

“You can bury yourself in your work all you want. But eventually you’re going to have to talk to me. Tell me what’s happening and how you feel about us.” He pulled one of the chairs out from the corner. “Or Becky is never going to let us out of here.”

************************

“Hello Bobby. And don’t try to deny it. It’s just you and me here. I know who you were. The problem is that you don’t know who you were. For a long time neither did I. Raines messed with our bodies and our minds trying to make us the perfect puppets.” Lily looked coyly through the screen. “But we’re no puppets. Never were, never will be. You and I are a lot alike. We fight for what we want.”

Lyle pulled his chair in and settled in to hear this. “So you think you know me so well.”

“I’m banking that you are not going to rat on me to Raines. I think you’ll be remembering the Boogeyman as well as I do soon. He’s not to be trusted, but I’m sure you already know that. I have to tell you something very important. There is a way that he is controlling you. There was a chip surgically placed in our heads. If you go to a hospital or private doctor’s office and have an x-ray scan done, then you’ll see the device. It stimulates the parts of your brain that control anger. I’m not going to get all technical. Just go somewhere that isn’t run by the Centre. If they catch wind that you know, you’ll be in more danger than me. You have to believe me. I don’t want any more harm to come to you. You’re special.”

Lyle sat there dumbfounded.

************************

“She’s right you know Parker.” Jarod said as he turned to Parker. “We keep avoiding just telling each other how we feel. I tried in Carthis and at the airport, but…” Jarod looked away from Parker.

“I can’t believe she did this. Are you sure she’s your sister? More like she wants to be the damn host of Love Connection.” Parker was moving away from Jarod.

Jarod turned his head back around and followed Parker. “See. You’re doing it again. I try to talk to you and you avoid the subject. It’s always the same - running and chasing - regardless of who’s doing it. With what has happened here, you can’t deny this is a turning point? That you have something..” Jarod motioned to everything around him. “And someone to turn to.”

Parker grimaced at the memory of her words.

“You said you couldn’t give me the different ending I wanted before and that was just the way it had to be. But circumstances have changed. Lily’s right. You can’t go back to the Centre this time.” Jarod paused a moment trying to read her body language. “You’ve gotten what you always wanted - you’re free.”

Parker turned back around. “Can we call this free? Now not only are you being chased, but so am I.”

“But we’re not being chased. We’re here. We could stay here and Raines, Lyle, Cox – none of them would be able to get to us. It would be you and me working together for the better good. For once – change the story and let the ending be up to you. Not them.” Jarod took Parker’s hands and pulled her into an embrace.

Lily, seeing her brother embrace Parker, pressed the button on her console that allowed a string of music to start playing. She turned off the monitor in the room; this was their private time. She could feel Mark move up behind her, but she didn’t move and just kept working at the console.

Parker recognized the music that seemed to permeate from the trees themselves as one of Phil Collins’ songs. “Against All Odds.”

************************

The five players are defining their roles.

Fate and Truth are becoming entangled.

Trust is being given freedom.

Hope has taken his post.

Revenge will be searching for clarity.

Will the game bring total freedom or total despair?