Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

The funny thing about life is that it always seems to deal you new cards when you least expect them.

Little did anyone know that in the life of Pretenders, there were two worlds with one destiny.

**********


Angels Hope
Travel Time



Card #1

Becky was starting to lag behind. "Lil", she was panting, "Wait up."

Lily had been going on at a good pace. She was a very athletic built woman and was in good shape. "Come on slow poke. This has been exhilarating."

"Lily, I'm not use to this. Slow down." She stopped in place and kicked the snow. "I'm not going another step."

Lily turned around. "OK. We'll stop for a bit." She found a boulder for them to sit on. She pulled the backpack off her back and opened it. After digging in the bag, she pulled out a bag of peanuts. 'Want some? Good in protein." She offered the bag.

Becky came over and plopped herself on the rock. "I think I'm going to have to get a moped to keep up with you." She put her hand out for some peanuts.

Lily pulled out a bottle of water. "Here. Have a drink. I told you all those years you should have taken gym class more seriously. Or at least been doing aerobics, tai chi, something the last couple of years." Lily laughed.

"Excuse me for liking Evita over Richard Simmons. I am the artsy one. You smart and athletic, me computer geek and music literate." Becky retorted. "I wish I were playing my piano right now."

Lily looked at Becky. She was obviously tired and breathing heavily. "You could go back." She said very seriously.

"If I went back, I would have to squeal on you. You know Joan has a way of getting things out of me. She's like the mother we never had. Besides you promised me an adventure." Becky smiled at Lily and mock punched her in the arm.

"OK, over that hill and then we'll be in town. I have the car already reserved. We pick it up and then head for Denver International Airport. Adventure Begins." Lily put the peanuts and bottled water back in the backpack and started her walk again. Becky rubbed her aching legs and got up to follow. She decided to play Mozart in her head to pass the time walking.

*************

Card #2

Jarod had stopped at a hotel on the outskirts of Blue Cove. He knew being this close was dangerous, but he had to figure his next plan of attack. The message had been sent saying that Lyle was bringing the five year old child to the Centre. He wasn't sure if she had gone through Charleston, SC or if they were bringing her straight to the Centre. They may not have chanced taking her to Angel Manor since Jarod knew of it's existence and had already stolen their last Pretender, Davey, from there. Jarod opened his computer and started an e-mail to Angelo. He needed more information. After a few minutes, his e-mail chimed that he had a reply. He quickly opened the e-mail and began to read. A confused look came over Jarod's face. "If you didn't send me the information Angelo, then who did?"

**************

Card #3

Miss Parker lay in bed. One of the many nightmares that invaded her sleep had occurred. She had awoken thinking about Jarod. About the Island. About who she was descended from. The monster that was her great-grandfather. The outcast Jarod had said she was. And how she had wanted to be comforted by him. She remembered:

"Let the storm rage outside, Miss Parker. Not inside you." Jarod had said

"Easy for you to say Jarod. There's a graveyard full of Parker's burned to death by their father. My great grandfather. The same year my great grandfather arrived alone and founded the Centre. Generation after generation. That evil has been passed down to me." Parker stated.

"You know who you are." Jarod replied back.

"I'm a Parker. And with every new revelation in my life, my family portrait becomes a more hideous picture." Jarod had handed her a soothing cup of tea, but nothing was going to soothe her. They had continued to talk about the Centre and how it had consumed both their lives.

She then she had spoken the words she had kept hidden inside all these years. "Why is it that the one person that I have been trained to distrust, to hate, to capture is always with me during the most difficult moments of my life."

"Maybe, it's suppose to be that way...."Jarod had stated with passion in his eyes.

How they had almost kissed at Ocee's and how much she had wanted to kiss him. But in the car she had chosen survival over Jarod. She had hurt him. Even though she wasn't looking at him, she knew that he had been hurt. Could feel it. And ever since, her mother's voice had been in her mind telling her she had made the wrong decision. "I can't show them any weakness Mother." She talked to the thin air, but knew her mother was listening. "It's too dangerous right now." But inside, she craved the one person who could save her from the mess that was her life.

**************

The girls had dropped off the rental car at the station. They were entering the airport, when Lily spotted one of the Retrieval Team members. She pushed Becky up against the wall. They had found the plane tickets in the rental car as she had instructed the travel agent.

"Becky, we have to figure out some way to get to Gate 4 without Larry seeing us." Lily said truly nervous now. She had thought they would have more time before they knew the two were gone.

"Lily, look." Becky was pointing to a large group of tourists following a tour guide. "Can we blend into them?"

"It's worth a try Sis." Lily responded. She headed for the group, tilting her head down as to hide her face. Becky did the same. They successfully avoided the Retriever. They slipped out of the crowd and headed for Gate 4. Lily and Becky approached the boarding area and checked in before boarding the plane. It was daylight now and they had booked the first plane to Delaware. "They know now that we're missing, it's going to be a race to see who gets to Delaware first." Lily stated while scanning the area.

"We'll have to be on alert. You know Joan will be with the Retrieval Team when they come after us Lil. We'll be running from the one person that I have felt safe with all my life since we got to Angel's Hope." Becky added after sitting in one of the waiting area chairs. "I feel like one of America's Most Wanted."

Lily came and sat next to her and pulled a file out of her backpack. "I know." She put her head against Becky's. "I know. Think we'll end up on the Post Office wall?" She smiled at her sister and opened the file. "I think our first course of action is to find a motel close to Blue Cove. We'll rent a car at the airport. We'll do a surveillance of the grounds so that I can get an idea of the layout of the Centre. I have basic floor plans here, but not as detailed as I had hoped."

"Lil", Becky started, "who sent you the information?"

"I don't know. I just received an e-mail with the information. It said that it was vital to the survival of my family and a key to my past. So that makes it a key to our past." Lily replied looking back down at the plans putting them to memory.

"How do you know that this isn't some sort of trap? If this is the place that they told us about for all those years, then they want us. May have been looking for us all these years." Becky took the file. She got a flash of a man typing the e-mail. Scared. Angry.

Lily looked at her. "Anything?"

"A man scared and angry, but not dangerous to us I think. I think he wants us to help someone, but I'm not sure whom?" Becky replied still trying to decipher her vision.

"How I envy you for being able to do that." Lily was impressed with her sister's ability and how she had learned to control the visions.

"You wouldn't say that if you got the wicked headaches they cause sometimes." Becky replied not being able to see anything further. "I think he has something to do with both the Centre and Angel's Hope, but I'm not sure. And I don't believe he means you any harm."

"That's good to know. Just wished I knew why he was doing it. What is his connection between the two places?" Lily was contemplating.

"Now boarding Gate 4 to Blue Cove, Delaware." They heard announced over the intercom. The girls stood up and were last in line to go past the attendant. Lily handed the attendant her ticket and passed. Becky was handing her ticket, when a commotion began behind her.

"Stop that plane!" They heard yelled from the crowd of people.

Becky quickly took back her ticket and pushed Lily through the boarding ramp to the plane. The attendant closed and locked the door just as Joan and Larry reached the door. Lily could see Joan through the window, nodded her head and waved. She then turned and boarded the plane.

Joan watched as the loading ramp was retracted and the plane took off. "Get me the next flight to Delaware." She stated to Larry with an angered tone.

*******************

Jarod had lain down in order to get some rest before he entered the Centre that evening. He hated going into that place. But on several occasions he had been forced to and this was no exception. He would not let them harm another child, even if he had to steal back every single one they took. His sleep was restless. He dreamed of his own abduction and how he had screamed for his mother and father. Then he saw his mother's face. As she had been on the Island, worn and tired. She had been trying to find out who he was. But what did that mean?

"Who are you Jarod?" He could hear his mother's voice whisper.

"Who am I Mother?" He heard himself respond back. He awoke with a start and sat straight up. "Mom?" He called out into the darkness. Then realized where he was and hung his head. He got out of bed and went into the bathroom to splash water on his face. He started getting ready for his trip to the Centre.

*************

Lily and Becky disembarked the plane and surveyed the area. "I don't see any Retrievers. I think we got here first." Becky shook her head in agreement while contributing to the surveillance. "Let's get the car and get out of here." Lily and Becky headed for the rental car station.

An hour later, they had a car and were heading for a remote motel on the outskirts of Blue Cove. They checked in and went to a small store for supplies. They ate and spent the rest of the afternoon going over different simulations of what could happen at the Centre and if they were found at the hotel. They considered every situation. It would be nighttime soon. Becky laid down and fell asleep quickly. Lily lay on her bed unable or unwilling to sleep. She had never executed one of her own simulations herself. It had always been one of the Retrieval Team that had gone and done the job. To make things worse, she had Becky with her. She had to make sure nothing went wrong. She fell into a non-restful sleep.

**************

Card #4

Jarod left his room and got into his car. He was going to go in through the North area ventilation system. That was their weakest spot. The child was suppose to be held in the renovated SL 27 subsection. Angelo was doing reconnaissance for him and he would meet him in one of the ventilation shafts they used as children. Jarod started his car and headed for the Centre.

The sound of a car starting woke Lily up. She looked at the clock. It was 9 p.m. Time to get ready. "Becky, wake up." She nudged Becky slightly. Lily had to laugh to herself. She had had dreams of monsters and evil men and here was Becky grinning in her sleep. Obviously dreaming something pleasant and wonderful. She envied Becky's ability to do that, shut out the outside world. She shook her again. "Becky."

Becky opened her eyes. "Is it morning?" She asked knowing that it would irk her sister and hopefully lighten her mood.

"Get up, you." Lily saw right through her. "We have to go."

"Ok. Can I take a bubble bath first?" Becky smiled as she got out of bed.

"Get your backpack." Lily pushed her sister slightly. "Remind me never to lend you to her Majesty's Secret Service."

"I think you have seen one too many James Bond movies." Becky picked up her bag.

Lily grabbed her's and took the map off the table. "Let's go." Both headed for the car.

Jarod had met Angelo who had showed him where the little girl was. As they observed her, she looked catatonic. "They did to her what they did to me?" Angelo asked.

"Yes, Angelo. Somehow they did it again. We have to get her out of here and to safety where I can make the anecdote. I just hope it's not too late." Jarod took out his laptop and entered the security code he had stolen out of the Centre's Main Frame. He disabled the room's security system and crawled down into the room. He scooped up the little girl and handed her to Angelo. Then he reentered the shaft and closed the grate. He went back to the computer and enabled the system again. "Angelo, lets get out of here."

"I help you." Angelo stated to Jarod stroking the young girl's long hair. Angelo helped Jarod go back through the ventilation system. Jarod was holding the young girl and feeling like he had failed her. He hadn't been there to protect her against the monsters of the Centre. Before exiting the system Angelo grabbed Jarod's arm. Jarod turned to look at him. "Not your fault." Angelo nodded at the girl. Jarod half smiled at Angelo, not believing what he had said. When they got outside, Jarod headed for his car with Angelo behind him.

Lily and Becky were scouting the North area of the Centre's perimeter when they spotted a figure carrying a small body. Lily swung her bag around and pulled out the one thing she was hoping she would never have to use. Lily approached the dark figure and pointed her gun at him. "Put the child down." She ordered.

Jarod in one motion threw the little girl over his shoulder, pulled his gun that had been tucked into the back of his pants and pointed it at the figure standing before him. "Never."

And there they stood across from each other, with guns pointed at each other's chest.

******************

A moment in time, a shuffle of the deck, and destiny begins