Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters from the Pretender, I am merely borrowing them for a few for other’s and my entertainment. But, other characters are mine.
Author’s note: It may sound confusing at first for those of who aren’t good at placing the clues together, but you should get it later.

*This story contains NO MUSIC




Finishing What She Started

by AngelWings





A stranger. Only a stranger stared back at me from the reflection of the mirror. Black hair, blue eyes… no more brown hair, no more brown eyes. Only a stranger.

As scared as I am, the smug smile still pulls at the corners of my mouth as I stare at the stranger in the reflecting glass.

“Perfect,” I whisper aloud, trying to convince myself more that this will work. It has to. For all the destroyed lives and dreams that hell ripped away, it will have to work.

Gripping the bridge of my fake nose, I try to adjust it. It itches like hell and I pray that the damn thing won’t blow my cover. That’s all I need.

Flinching at the piercing cry of my cell phone, I flip it open and lift it to my ear. Taking only a split second to calm my nerves, I snap a Centre hello into the receiver. “What?” I say.

“The Board will meet you in three hours. Don’t keep us waiting,” the familiar voice booms out at me. I hold back my sneer remark to the man that ruined her life and mine and instead I reply with a quiet ‘yes’. Hearing nothing else from the other man, the line went dead. Flipping my phone shut again, I toss it down on the nearest chair.

“Great,” I mutter under my breath sarcastically. I glance back at the mirror and run a shaky hand through my colored black hair, cut short above my brow. “This is going to be the scariest pretend,” I whisper, wincing at the quiver in my tone. “Catherine, I could use your help.”

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

This place is completely denied of light, I think to myself as I briskly walk down the dark corridor. I feel my heart in my throat and find it hard to breathe at the familiar surroundings of this horrid place. I want to scream and spin on my heels, running for the exit and never looking back, but I know more lives are on my shoulders. How did you get as far as you did, Catherine?

I come to a stop in front of a blonde behind a dark wooden desk. She looks up at me over her glasses and appears to look me up and down. I shift to the other foot nervously, trying to slip into my pretend, but fear still pinches at me, preventing me to become fully absorbed into this life.

Looking back down to her papers that were scattered across the dark wood of her desk, she simply snaps, “Appointment?”

“Yes,” I replied with a quiver. I clear my throat quickly, recovering. “They are expecting me,” I say in a stronger voice.

At that, she stands abruptly, coming around her desk to walk passed me to the large doors that are the only access to the conference room. Taking a shaky sigh, I watched her peer inside and announce my presence. Watching her nod her head in reply, she looks over her shoulder and smiles at me. No politeness, no happiness, just a plain gesture of the mouth.

“They will see you now,” she replies in her sharp, quiet tone. I give a simple nod and walk passed her, entering the large and even darker room, coming to stand at the end of the large narrow table that had men and women in dark suits occupying each chair. Each of their eyes seemed to narrow at my appearance and I prayed with every fiber in my being that they did not recognize me.

Daring to look around the silent room, my blue eyes dance across each face, trying to take in their appearances and memorize each facial detail. But my eyes freeze on hers and I feel my heart skip. She too is staring at me, her blue eyes narrowed, full of rage and curiosity at the same time. Her dark hair is down, like always, curving perfectly around her face and then flipped out at the ends. A silver lighter dances in her fingertips as she rolls it around and around in her hand, still staring at me.

“Have a seat,” the man at the end of the large black table says to me, no expression in his tone. I glance over my shoulder at the sweeper pushing a chair up behind me, taking note that I didn’t notice that man was standing there before. Taking the seat, I return my gaze on the man across the long table, waiting for him to begin what I came here to hear.

“We understand that you are the best of what you do? Is that right, sir?” the man’s voice boomed.

“That is right,” I reply, forcing my mouth to form steady words and forcing my heart to resume it’s normal beating.

The man simply nods, before looking down at a vanilla folder that lies in front of him. Lifting it up, he flips it open and glances at it. “Do you know the reason why we called you here, Mr. Chanson?”

“To become a teacher, sir,” I reply, satisfied with the strength of my voice. The man nods, folding his large fingers together, lying them on the table in front of him.

“When can you start?” he asks, leaning back in his chair, hearing the squeal and crunch of the new leather on the seat.

“When I’m needed to start, sir,” I say, my face remaining untouched, expressionless. The man nods again, a satisfied smile pulling at his lips. He lifts his hand up and places it on the folder heavily, swinging his arm, sliding the folder towards me. I watch it slide to a stop in front of me and stare at it for a split second, before calmly reaching over and lifting it from the table.

“Read through it, Mr. Chanson,” the man instructed. “Frank will show you to your office.”

I stand, tucking the folder under my arm and turning on my heel towards the doors. In the corner of my eye I see the sweeper, ‘Frank’ probably, follow me out.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Hell, that’s the best word for it. That the room was the worst hell I’ve ever been in. Sighing, I collapse in my leather chair, looking briskly around my office. I study each file cabinet, picture, chair, plant, and desk. I have to admit this office is rather nice for a new employee. It had the whole enchilada, everything from a picture here, to a paperweight there. But it was probably crawling with bugs. No not insects with antennas and little dirty feet. No, I’m talking about the worst kinds. Those nosy little creatures that have ears the size of Texas. Probably will have to go bug hunting myself.

Leaning forward, I reach over my desk to lift up the vanilla folder Mr. Parker so happily threw at me. I open it and quickly scan through it. It was filled with things that were titled, ‘Top Secret’ and most of them had warnings that started with, ‘if this gets out…’ Sighing, I turn another page, surprised to see something new.

A little girl stared back at me. Her eyes were as green as the summer grass and her blond, curly hair flowed behind her face. She was a beautiful child and I felt my heart skip a beat, growing heavy in my chest.

What have I become apart of? I ask myself.

You had to, her familiar voice inside me says kindly. It was the only way.

The only way indeed. I would have been killed if they saw me, the real me, walk in here and begin opening doors and escorting the children out one by one. Now I only plan to do it in disguise. Man, if only I knew for certain that this is going to work. And how am I going to do this alone?

You’ve done everything alone, I remind myself. What’s the difference now?

What’s the difference? I am going against the hell that destroyed me a long time ago! They stole me from my family and filled my heart with hate!

The better reason to get your answers and destroy this place once and for all.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“So… how did it go?” Broots asked, watching the brunette stampede into the office with her chin out a mile.

“I don’t like the feeling about this guy, Syd,” Miss Parker says, ignoring the computer tech and turning to the old man that sat at the leather couch in the corner.

“Why not, Parker?” he asked, the permanent smile lingering on his lips. “What happened at the board meeting?”

“Nothing. He entered the room like some hot shot, kept quiet until someone talked to him and then left,” she spat out, leaning against the desk that occupied the center of the room.

“Doesn’t sound bad to me,” Broots said, glancing from his computer screen.

“Exactly,” Miss Parker said, waving a finger at him. “Any other ‘Centre employee’ would have at least pulled out a gun.”

“Parker,” Sydney chuckled. He got up from the leather couch and took a few steps towards her. “Why don’t all three of us go down there and meet him ourselves, huh?”

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Still staring at the green-eyed girl, I read over and over her name. Alexis. Simply, but pure. No last name, just a first. Alexis. That’s all there is. Just like what they told me. My first name. Not last, just first.

Slowly I let the picture slide from my fingertips and back onto the desk, still not pulling my eyes from her face. She’s so beautiful for a 7-year-old.

The crack of my door sends my heart to a stop and I skip my blue eyes up from the picture to… Sydney?! I automatically straighten in my chair and watch him enter my office, followed by Miss Parker and Broots.

Damn.

“Hello, we wanted to formally introduce ourselves since our offices are a few halls down,” Sydney said kindly, walking up to my desk and reaching his hand out for mine. “I’m Sydney Green, and this is Mr. Broots and Miss Parker.”

I stand, taking Sydney’s hand and shaking it, my eyes skipping over his shoulder to Miss Parker and Broots. I could almost feel Broots cringe as my eyes danced across his face.

“Silent type, aren’t you?” I hear Miss Parker’s sharp tone slice through the air. I snapped my eyes towards her and narrowed them as best as I could, showing her I’m no one to mess with, but it’s didn’t faze her. “They always are when they have something to hide.”

“Everyone has something to hide when they work at the Centre, Miss Parker,” I reply coolly. “I’m sure you have many [dark] secrets in your pocket,” I almost growled at her. I swore I saw fire flash through those blue eyes of hers.

“So much for first impression,” Broots mumbled.

“And what position are you three?” I ask, as if I didn’t know.

“We are in charge of the Pretender Project,” Miss Parker snapped, placing her hands on her hips. I simply nod. “And what are you in charge of?” she asked, lifting an eyebrow.

I glance down at my desk, quickly swooping up Alexis’s picture and lifting it up to their line of view. “Her,” I snap.

I watch as Sydney’s lips formed a smile. “She’s beautiful.”

I shrug my shoulders, letting the picture fall carelessly to my desk. “A pretender is a pretender,” I say, emotionless. That wiped the smile clear of Sydney’s face and I almost swore the man was going to slap me.

“Well, nice meeting you,” Sydney growled, obviously holding back his anger. I nod, still my face is expressionless as stone.

All three turn, leaving my office as quickly as they had entered. I let out a sigh and collapse down in my chair again. Damn, that was nerve racking.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

She sat quietly at the black table, twirling a blonde curl around her fingertip casually. She flashed her green eyes up at me briefly as I entered the little room, coming to stand in front of her.

“Hello Alexis,” I say gently. “My name is Mr. Chanson.” She looks up at me again, stares and says nothing. I lift the folder that was tucked under my arm and lay it down in front of her. “It says in your folder that you don’t talk.” Slowly lowering in the seat across the table from her, I watch her green eyes follow me. “Is it that you can’t talk… or don’t want to?”

Her eyes finally look away from mine and look to the folder. I know she wants to look in it, but she hesitates and just stares at it.

“Go ahead,” I say, watching her. She shakes her head no and pushes it across the table towards me again.

Sighing, I open it myself and pull out her picture. Lifting it towards her, her eyes flash with amazement, taking the picture from my fingertips and studying it carefully.

“That’s you, Alexis,” I say with a smile. She smiles, still staring at the picture, only briefly flashing me green eyes and then back down to the photo. “You can hold on to it, if you like,” I say gently. She nods with a smile, looking up at me. I smile back.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

It was complete and utter torture for me to stand in that room, so familiar to mine when I was a child, and watch that poor young girl become another victim of this hell, performing their experiments like a guinea pig.

No matter at what cost, until I free her from their grasp, I will make her feel loved and belonged as much as I possibly can. If I had be shown love and compassion… I might have been happy in this place.

No… as quickly as that thought was in my head, I pushed it away. There is no way in hell that I would live happy behind these walls. No way.

Alexis, I’ll get you out. I promise you that much. And the other children will be free by my hand too. I will get my answers, I will get my life, and then I’ll get the children and your life back as well. I promise.

Exhaustion drew new lines on my face and I ran a hand wearily over it. Sleep wasn’t familiar to me anymore. Hell, I forgot the meaning of the word.

Work. Definition: bodily or mental effort exerted to do or make something; labor. I knew that much. That’s what I am familiar with.

Sighing, I reached over my desk to pick up the steaming cup of coffee. It tasted awful, and not even imagining would do the trick to make it taste like coffee. But still, it served as my energy and awareness, keeping my eyes open long enough to dance them across the files on my desk.

Oh god, I need a bed, a pillow, a nice soft blanket and a big, steaming cup of hot chocolate! I felt my eyes droop at the thought and my mouth watered. Why do I torture myself like this? Too much in the habit of torturing Parker, I guess I am getting to myself.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Entering his office, the first thing she noticed was the grin Sydney wore as he stared down at the paper before him. Cocking her head to the side in confusion, she approached the desk cautiously.

“What is it Syd?” she asked, placing both hands on his desk, leaning towards him.

Her position before him reminded him to choose his words wisely, but instead, he chose to smile up at her in the same manner he did towards the file he had finished.

“This Mr. Chanson character works wonders for children. I just can’t see why he is at the Centre. Of all places to ‘help’ children, he chooses here.”

Miss Parker’s eyes skip away from the old man’s face, to land on the papers lying on his desk. Studying them for only a split second, she returns her gaze back to his face.

“Maybe that just what he intends to do, Syd… Is to [help] the children here. They could use all the help they could get.”

Sydney smile turned into a grin, nodding softly in agreement. But the happiness gave way to seriousness in a matter of seconds, drawing finer lines into his face. “But, yet I still have an uneasy feeling about him, Parker.”

Miss Parker nods as well, knowing too there is more to know about the new employee than meets the eye. What does he have up his sleeve and why, someone like him, would come to the Centre? To what…? Help the children? Something doesn’t seem to fit.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Taking a deep breath, I enter the room, fear already itching at me at the familiar surroundings. It isn’t my room, but it is similar.

I smile softly at her, ignoring the shocked look in her eyes, as I enter the room, coming to sit down on her bed next to her. Seeing her wide-eyed expression as she stares at me, I begin to explain myself.

“I know,” I begin. “You aren’t used to your teachers actually coming into [your] room, but I come before you not as your teacher… but your friend.”

I give her the warmest smile I could manage, and I see the confusion vanish from her eyes and excitement making her green eyes sparkle. Reaching inside my suit jacket’s pocket, I hold my hand hovered over the object in it.

“When I was a child, I barely had a [glance] at any toy or candy of any kind,” I say. “But I think you should have this,” I finish with a smile, pulling out the Bugs Bunny Pez container, making sure my back was towards the camera. I notice right away as her eyes lit up in happiness and fascination, her hands immediately reaching out to grab it from my hand. Her eyes study the object, seeming to memorize each detail of the toy. Looking up at me with sparkling eyes, she smiles.

“Th… thank…you,” she whispers.

The smile pulls roughly at the corners of my mouth as I hear her speak to me for the first time. Her voice is as beautiful as her face, and the happiness made her eyes shine brighter. Already, I could see the improvement; already I could see her spirit’s dust lift away.

“You’re welcome,” I reply. I see her smile in return, her eyes skipping down to the toy again, staring at it. I lean closer to her and say quietly, “You better keep that safe somewhere, you don’t want to lose that.” She shakes her head with wide eyes. I smile at her again. “This is our little secret.”

“Our… secret,” she whispers, leaning towards me as well, happiness still shining in her eyes.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Miss Parker glanced over at the clock that hung from her office wall. Mumbling a curse under her breath, she ran a warily hand over her face. Probably most of the employees have already gone home, and yet here she was. Sighing heavily, she stood from her chair, walked around her desk, and took off toward the door.

Walking quickly down the hall, she found herself stopping at one of the office doors, peering inside.

There he sat, typing away on his computer. He seemed to not notice her, and just kept at it on his computer.

Staring at him, she studied his appearance. He was, she had to admit, attractive, and she had never seen such dark blue eyes on any man. Yet, he did actually seem rather familiar to her as well. She just couldn’t put her finger on it.

Pushing against the door, she slid inside, still unnoticed, and cautiously walked up to his desk. His head snapped in her direction, giving her a wide-eyed expression, before quickly closing his laptop shut before she could see what he was working on. Standing abruptly, he stared at her.

“What do you want?” he asked, his tone as sharp as a knife’s blade. Miss Parker flashed him a smug smile.

“Not just quiet, but very polite too,” Miss Parker sneered in sarcasm, crossing her arms over her chest. “What are you working on?”

He glanced down at his computer briefly before looking back up at her. “Nothing,” he snapped, too quickly.

“Oh really,” she asked, making her way toward him. He stepped back, standing right over his computer. She reached passed him toward his laptop, but he grabbed her hand to stop her.

“It’s none of your business,” he growls at her dangerously.

She glanced down at the hand that held her wrist firmly, before she glanced back up at him. “You said nothing, so there’s [nothing] to hide.” She smiled smugly at him. “Or is there, Mr. Silent Type?”

“There is something, and that something is none of your business!” he growled again.

“Sit down,” she snapped. She pushed him firmly and he could do nothing but fall back in his chair at the back of his legs. “Good boy.”

Before he could stop her, she lifted the laptop. He closed his eyes, hoping she wouldn’t ask questions… oh please don’t ask questions.

“What is this?” she asked, looking over her shoulder and him. “Why are you reading files on Jarod?”

He stared at her for a long moment, before opening his mouth to reply. “I… I’m…” he began.

Sirens ringing! Bail out, bail out!

“I was told to research him,” he lied. “To perform with a pretender, I must know a pretender. And he was the best one in this place, so why not him?”

Miss Parker stared at him for a moment, then blinked a couple of times. “Then why try to hide it?”

“Didn’t want you to get suspicious, you know, Jarod is [your] project, right?” he replies with a weak smile.

Miss Parker gave him the smile in return. “Oh… but of course. He is [mine], and if you want to kiss an ass by trying to catch him… I’ll kill you.”

“Sounds to me you don’t want him back,” he replied, his eyes glowing with the challenge.

Miss Parker clenched her white teeth together, still piercing him with her blue eyed stare. “Oh, I want him back, and [I’ll] bring him back.”

“Of course you will,” he replied coolly, still staring at her with the full depth of his blue eyes, cold and dangerous.

Miss Parker only gave a simple nod with a knowingly smile, before coming around from his desk to stand in front of it. “Now… [Mr. Chanson], you are a mystery rolled up in a dark suit. You seem to be hiding something. Tell me.”

“If I have something to hide, Miss Parker,” he began, standing from his chair slowly as he spoke. “Then it will stay hid.”

“Why don't you let it out?” she asked, sitting down on his desk and crossing her legs. She stared at him over her shoulder casually. “Because it’s not good to keep your emotion rolled up.”

“I would have to say the same to you too, wouldn’t I, Miss Parker?” he asked, crossing his arms. She stared at him for a moment, before looking away to the floor below, staring at the dark pattern that covered the thin carpet.

“I have my reasons, Mr. Chanson,” she began, standing again and stiffening her back dangerously, like a cat ready to pounce the mouse. “I’m head of security, my job requires to hide.”

“Oh? Is that so?” he asked, turning toward the large window behind him, his back now towards her.

“Yes. But are [you] only a teacher here? Tell me what a [teacher] needs to hide. Or is the job not the only thing you came here for, Mr. Chanson… Is there something up your sleeve that the head of security should know about?”

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

If it were possible, I would have told her then and there. I would have spun around and threw off this damn nose and threw out my contacts and told her everything from the reason I’m here to the whole plan I intend on following.

But I still stood there, my back facing her, letting her question hang in the air for a few seconds. I wanted to answer her, but didn’t know how.

Damn it, if only I knew my damn nose was going to tell her for me!

Throwing my hand up suddenly to rub my tired face, I literally knocked the nose from my head! I watched as it fell to the floor with a quiet thud and almost swore aloud. Instead, I settled for my hand, coming to cover my mouth and nose, staring down at the rubber traitor that lays at my feet. Hoping she didn’t notice what had happened, I stand there silent, waiting for further noise behind me. If only she would turn and leave long enough for me to place my face back on!

“Well?” I hear her sharp voice break the silence, feeling my heart skip at the sudden noise. My eyes widen a little in fear, glancing briefly back down at the nose at my toe.

Removing my hand a little from my nose and mouth to speak without having my voice muffled, I asked with a quiver, “Well, what?”

“Well…? What are you hiding, Mr. Silent Type?” she snapped impatiently.

“Ah…” I began nervously, looking again down to the blasted thing at my feet, seeming to taunt me with its presence. “Nothing,” I snapped… too quickly.

“I’m sure,” she replies with sarcasm itching in her tone. I wince a little, praying she would soon go away. “Turn around.”

There it was, the request sending a wave of heat to my head. I feel the heat of fear and panic rise from my collar and burn at my flesh on my face. What am I going to do? What am I going to do?

“No,” I snap. How convincing, I scold myself with sarcasm. That will surely make her belief I have nothing to hide and turn right where she is, running out of my office to leave me at peace.

“No, eh?” she asked. I can see her place her hands on her hips, even without looking at her.

Damn.

“Right… I ah… enjoy the view,” I reply. You deserve a cardboard cookie for that one, my inner voice says sarcastically.

“The view can’t be that good at night,” she sneered, her voice again causing my heart to leap.

“With all the lights it is,” I explain, praying she will take the hint and scurry away from my presence. Please leave Parker! Please!

Suddenly, I hear the soft footsteps of her high heels walking over to me. Damn. In the corner of my eye, I see her come to stand by me, staring out the window as well. True, it was a great spot, couple stories up, seeing the lake that was just outside the Centre to the right and the city of lights across the way. If I weren’t scared as hell right about now, I would have indeed enjoyed the scenery with her. But, keeping my hand over the naked area of my face, I stare out the window, my attention glued on the person I watch in the corner of my eye.

I heard her sigh in relaxation before her head turned to look at me. I felt my toes curl as she stared at me, my heart beating in my throat and feeling the heat of panic still burning inside of me.

“What’s wrong?” Her question buzzed in my ear and I take the second to look down at my feet, quickly kicking the rubber nose behind me, hoping she didn’t see it. It already made it under my desk before she looked down.

“Nothing,” I reply before she can ask what the hell rolled under my desk. She glanced back up at me.

“Why are you covering your nose and mouth like that?” she asked.

Without any warning, I felt her hand on my wrist, yanking it down from my face roughly. I quickly looked away from her, hoping she had no time to see my face, but it was no use. She reached up and pulled my chin firmly toward her, forcing my gaze to settle on her face. Her eyes glitter with confusion as she stared at me, studying my facial detail carefully. After what seemed like a full minute of staring into the depths of each other’s eyes, her own widened in surprise.

I stared at her for a long moment, considering my next move. I waited for her to yell at me… or at least slap her hand across my face, but nothing happened. Only silence stretched between us, both trying to adjust to the new knowledge that was just displayed.

“I hope you know what you are doing,” was all she said quietly. I narrowed my eyes in wonder, staring at her like she just spat a foreign language at me.

Without anything else being said, she turned on her heel, quickly leaving my office in silence. The click of the door shutting behind her pulled me through my shock and I stiffened my back. That had to be the best thing she ever did for me.

Thank you, Parker.

Briefly closing my eyes in relief and I bend down to retrieve the damn rubber pest from under my desk.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Miss Parker walked into Sydney’s office with an extra spring in her step. Sydney looked up from the paper on his desk to study the brunette before him.

“You seem to be extra cheerful today, Parker,” he said with a slight chuckle, laying his pen down and folding his arms on the desk, waiting for what she had to say.

She almost shrugged but caught herself. “I am not cheerful, Syd,” she explained with annoyance.

This time he shrugged simply and leaned back in his leather chair, his aged eyes on the woman before him, studying her appearance carefully. “Then why do you seem… different today, Parker?”

She seemed to look around a moment in confusion, her blue eyes soon to coming back to the man behind the desk. “What do you mean?”

He smiled, shaking his head in defeat. “Is there something I can do for you Parker?”

“Yes, I was thinking that Broots was in here and I wanted to ask him if there were any new leads on… um, Jarod,” Miss Parker said, flinching at his name. “Have you heard from him?”

“Last time I knew, Parker, he was in the computer lab, searching some files for your father,” Sydney asked, looking back down at his papers and lifting his pen to begin his work.

Saying nothing else, she turned and left his office, shutting the door behind her.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

My hands glide across the papers, shuffling them together and stuffing them into my suitcase as quickly as possible. I knew Raines was probably on his way to scowl at me for giving Alexis a Pez container, that possibly his ‘trained eye’ saw. As soon as I reached the door, it swung open, almost hitting me square in the face. I take a step back, already narrowing my eyes at the man… wait a minute… Damn it, Parker!

She stood there, a smile on her lips, obviously enjoying her little entrance she so proudly displayed. Pushing passed me, she entered my office, coming to turn on her heel in front of me, just staring at me with her little smug smirk, her red lips stretched across her face.

Lifting an eyebrow at her coolly, I set my suitcase down and began to slowly circle around her like a vulture.

“What do you want, Parker?” I ask, my voice low.Her face does not change; she remains staring at me with that smug smirk. I knew she was enjoying the power over me, that one secret that no one else knew.

“Guess,” she shot out, her eyes looking me up and down.

I flinched at the insinuation of the remark, stepping back a little and almost tumbling into my leather chair. She let out a low chuckle, walking toward me slowly, her hips and legs just as seductive as her expression. I swallow hard as she stops right in front of me, only inches away from making contact.

“Like it was clearly said before, [Jarod] is [my] pretender,” her voice purrs, her breath brushing onto my lips. Speechless, I stare at her, like a shocked, trembling animal, trapped in a corner by its enemy, no way out, no where to turn. But enemy wasn’t exactly the word I would have chosen at that moment as her hand reached up to casually land onto my arm, squeezing a little and letting it slide down my jacket sleeve. I couldn't help but shiver at her touch, struggling to listen as she whispers softly, “What are you doing tonight, [Mr. Chanson]?”

Licking my lips and swallowing, noting the dryness in my throat, I answer, “Nothing, according to your plans.”

The smile that appears on her lips frightens me a little. Just a little. “Exactly. I knew you were a genius from the moment I laid eyes on you.” She seems to skip her eyes up and down my body. “Why don’t you come over and we can… [discuss] some matters.”

Not knowing if she meant it by discussing my plans or it was just a fancy way of saying ‘we can have sex’, I just stood there, staring at her for further… ‘orders’. Smiling widely, she walked passed me, strutting for my benefit, and walked out the door without further discussion. Staring off toward the door she had just used to exit my sight, I blink a couple times in shock.


^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

As soon as I stepped foot on her doorstep, I began thinking that this is [the] Miss Parker. What the hell am I doing? And what the hell is she doing? She [knows] it’s me and she is inviting me to her… house? Wait a minute, this has to be a trick… it just has-

“You going to stand out here all night?” she asked, swinging her door open and staring at me. I practically jump out of my skin.

“Sorry Parker,” I mumbled. “I was just thinking.”

“Well, Jarod, frankly I [think] you [think] too much,” she said, reaching out and pulling me by the arm inside her house. I stumbled a little, but quickly caught my balance as I look around carefully. She hasn’t changed it much since the last time I have been here. Well, I have only seen it at night (best sneaking time), but still, it looked pretty much the same.

“Have a seat,” she said from behind me and I looked over my shoulder at her as she gestured towards the couch. I walked around the coffee table to seat myself onto the couch, looking around awkwardly and nervously. Why the hell was I here?

“Now,” she begain, sitting down next to me. “What is this about Jarod?”

I glanced at her surprisingly, not wanting to talk about this subject at all, and quickly look away to the floor. “Look, Parker, I don’t need your help, so there is no reason for me to bring you into this or even tell you what I have planned.”

“Tell me Jarod, or I’ll kill you right now,” she shot out, her voice not threatening at all, but still I knew she meant it. I glanced at her, my eyes almost pleading with her not to make me do it, but she still stared at me with that hard stare, her blue gaze cutting into me like a knife slicing through butter.

“I…” I began reluctantly, briefly closing my eyes. “Plan to finish what she started.”

I watched as confusion flashed through Parker’s eyes, before awareness kicked in. Her blue eyes steadied for a moment before becoming wide. She leaned back a little, staring at me like she had never seen me before.

“Why the hell…” she began, but her voice trailed off, her eyes flicking between mine, searching for some kind of explanation they’d give her. “Why, Jarod?”

Licking my lips, I carefully chose my words, not wanting to upset her in anyway. “Because… I think that Catherine’s beliefs should be carried out. That the children should go free. They deserve to be free. They [need] to be free.”

She stared at me then, her eyes glittering with an unreadable emotion. Suddenly, she looked away, looking down at her lap. I almost sighed with relief to have the tension from her gaze away from me. But soon that tension returned as her blue eyes settled on me. I watched somewhat awe-struck as she leaned closer to me.

“I do want to be apart of this plan, Jarod. She was [my] mother,” she said then, her voice husky. “Please, let me help you.”

As much as I wanted her on my line of the battlefield, I shook my head, closing my eyes off from her desperate glare. “No, I don’t want to bring you into this. It’s too dangerous.”

“Since when have I not become apart of any plan that [isn’t] dangerous!”

“Please, Parker, this is something I need to do on my own. I can’t worry about a second person. Please, you will be helping me but not helping.”

She stared at me, with her jaw clenched shut tightly, her gaze cutting and cold. "You can't shut me out of this."

"I don't anything to--"

"Jarod, please," she said, all the hardness now gone from her voice. "Please. Let's do this together."

Together. What a beautiful word coming from her mouth. I searched her face, already feeling myself buckle under the look she was giving me-- that look of openness, that look that gave me a glimpse of the real woman underneath the shell. I felt myself nod before my brain even gave the command.

She smiled then, a real smile, one that reached her eyes. And I could do nothing but smile back.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

She wasn't sure how it had happened, but it did.

She lifted her head to look down at him. He was asleep still; his even breathing gave him away. He had taken off his fake nose and contacts last night before they climbed into bed. Now, only thing different about him was his black hair.

He looked incredibly handsome lying next to her. His short hair a tad out of place, yet still looking fashionable. His bare chest, rising and falling and his body twisted in the sheets.

Miss Parker smiled faintl and lowered her face down to his forehead, placing a soft, sweet kiss there. He stirred a little, his body tensing, but soon relaxes letting out a soft whimper.

Lying back down on his chest, she closed her eyes and concentrated on his heartbeat beating like a drum in her ear. Never in her life has a man had this effect on her like this. She was both facinated and scared by him.

Sitting up again when he began to stir, she looked softly into his eyes, watching them flutter open to see the dark brown instead of blue.

“Hey there,” she said.

“Hey,” he whispered in response, his voice low and ragged from sleep.

“I’m making breakfast. I’m open for suggestions.” She climbed out of bed and reached for her blue robe.

“You? Making breakfast?” he said sitting up.

“Yes,” she said, obviously annoyed, placing her hands on her hips. “What do you want, Brat Boy?”

“Whatever you would like to make and eat,” he said with a smirk.

She shook her head, turning on her heel and leaving the room. He slowly let out a sigh and fell back onto the pillows.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Where have you been? Why are you late, Parker?” Sydney asked, watching her enter the office, the line of her mouth slightly curled up.

“Sorry, Syd. I over slept,” she said coolly, turning toward Broots who sat at Sydney’s desk with his face to the computer screen. “Any sign of… Rat Boy?” she snapped, the hesitation making her wince slightly, causing Sydney to narrow his eyes in thought.

“Um, no Miss Parker. It seems he vanished,” Broots attempted to explain, looking up at the brunette cautiously. She stared down at him for a long moment, but said nothing.

“There seems to be something different about you, Miss Parker,” Sydney said, stepping forward a little and studying her appearance. Miss Parker slowly cocked her head to the side in confusion.

“What do you mean, Syd?” she asked.

He shook his head softly, still keeping his gaze fixed on her. “I don’t know. You seem more… friendlier than usual.”

“Friendlier?” she barked in laughter, throwing her head back. “Since when have I been [friendly]?” she asked, her laughter turning a bit evil.

Sydney let the frown pull down at his lips. “I don’t know, Parker. It’s just…”

“Broots, call me if you find anything,” she snapped, interrupting Sydney before he could stick his nose too far into the frosting.

“Ah… okay, M-Miss Parker,” Broots said, briefly pulling his eyes from the screen.

Miss Parker flashed Sydney a brief, sharp-edged smirk before turning on her heel and leaving the two men alone in the office.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Hi,” I say gently. I see the little girl smile up at me, her eyes sparkling in wonder.

“Hi, Mr. Chanson,” she says, her voice like a song to my ears. I lean down to her, my eyes now becoming level with hers and I smile warmly.

“What are you doing?” I ask, looking down at what she has in her little fingers. There, tightly held, was the Bugs Bunny suspensor, almost empty of candy.

She smiles again. “I was just playing.”

“I see you are almost out,” I say, briefly flashing my eyes down at the Pez suspensor.

I see the sadness flash in her green eyes, her lower lip quivering a little as she glances down at her hand. Softly, almost a whimper, she says, “Yeah.”

I smile and reached into my suit pocket and brought out three packs of refills, flavors: cherry, grape and orange. As soon as her little green eyes landed on the items I held in my palm, her mouth curled into a huge smile.

“Oh, Mr. Chanson! Thank you! Thank you!” she says, whispering in excitement, aware of the camera. She grabs the packs of candy from my hand, flashing me a smile of all teeth and bright eyes and she quickly pockets them, knowing someone, somewhere will try to get them from her. Smart girl.

“Now,” I whisper. “Today, the sim is a little difficult. You think you can do it?”

She looks up at me then, and slowly, reluctantly nods her head. “I will try.”

“Good. I will help you if you need it, okay Alexis?”

She smiles wide. “Okay, Mr. Chanson. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

My heart felt like it was being squeezed tightly by a strong hand. I knew this child looked up to me in a great way, and there was no way in hell… this hell, I was going to let her down.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

[Shit]. It has been almost a week at this dreadful place, me playing my part nicely. But tonight… tonight I… Oh god. [Shit].

Like water, doubt and worry floods down on me. I gasp for air, trying to rid myself of regret, trying to clear my head. I have to do this! For the children, Jarod, for the children! [Damn it].

The creak of the door almost sends me skyward. I snap my attention to the intruder and my body tenses. I watch as the old man approaches my desk, that permanent smile on his lips. Calmly, I set my papers aside, clasping my fingers together to fully listen to what he had come to say.

“I must say, you are wonderful with children, Mr. Chanson,” Sydney said, his accent giving his voice a ring of music.

I smile, no happiness, and stare up at him.

At that point, I want to tell him everything. Like before, I wanted to talk to him, tell him all my worries and I wanted him, like always, to make my troubles seem not so… ‘troubled’. Oh, Sydney.

“Is a compliment the only reason why you are here, Mr. Green? Or is there something I can do for you,” I force my lips to say. Briefly, disappointment flashes in the older man’s eyes, but I watch as he quickly recovers, that smile reappearing on his face.

“There is nothing you can do for me, Mr. Chanson,” he says. “I just came in here to…” I watch as he pauses to lick his lips in thought. What is it, Sydney? Inhaling sharply, he opens his mouth again. “To ask you a question.”

Curiosity seems to pull at my mind. I narrow my eyes in wonder at the man, watching in shift nervously before me. “Shoot,” I simply snap, giving him the cue to ask his question.

Sydney leaned forward, placing his hands on my desk, supporting his weight. “Jarod.”

There it was, not a question, simply a word. He knew… he knew and I had a good idea who told him.

Leaning back in my chair, my eyes still on his face, I sigh. I watch Sydney’s throat as he swallows, waiting for me to say if he is right or wrong.

Running my tongue over my bottom lip, I softly reply, “Making up stories now, Mr. Green?” I say, smiling, placing a finger on my nose, fake nose and tapping it.

He smiles widely then, nodding. Right on the nose, Sydney, right on the nose.

“I guess I am… [Mr. Chanson],” Sydney says, the smile changing his words completely. I return the smile.

“Good luck,” he simply said then. I caught the quiver in his tone and I wince in surprise. As he turns to leave, I call his name, causing him to stop at the door. Looking over his shoulder, his eyes settle on my face, waiting for my reply.

“Thank you… Sydney,” I whisper. I watch the sad smile pull at his lips, before he turns and leaves my office.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

My heart was pounding in my ears, and my palms are sweaty. I couldn’t think straight.

Looking down the hall, I see the guard walk by. Damn, how am I going to do this? The plan, Jarod, think of the plan.

Taking a deep breath, I spring from my place around the corner, and before the guard, or the camera could see my presence, I dash into the door across the hall.

Looking around carefully, I spot the fuse box on the far wall. With a quick pace I make it across the tiny room, tripping over brooms and buckets, and carefully open the little rusty door on the wall. Inhaling sharply at the sight of hundreds of switches and wires, I study them. Red, blue, green, and white wires all stares up from me and some buttons glowed with yellow.

All right, think. Lifting a shaky hand, I press a button. Click. The yellow light on the button clicked off. Press another button. Click.

When all the yellow lights were off, I glance over towards the door, looking down under the door to see darkness of where light would have shown from the hall.

Good, the lights are all off. Now cameras.

I pull a tiny wired box from the inside pocket of my jacket, setting it on the edge of the fuse box. Running a hand down the wires, I begin to connect each wire to the right color. After that is down, I flip each switch on the little box and sigh shakily.

Now I dash across the room again, opening the door a crack and peering outside into the darkness. The guard has his back to me, looking around in confusion… perfect. I leap out without a sound and throw my fist to the back of the man’s head, hearing his gasp of surprise followed by the moan of pain as he slumps to the floor unconscious. Reaching down, I pull the ring of keys from his belt and stare at them, before glancing down the dark hall at all the doors that cover the walls.

I pick the right key and jam it into the nearest door lock, twisting it and hearing the satisfied click. Opening and peering inside, I see the small figure on the bed, back towards me, sleeping dreamlessly. I tiptoe my way in and wake the small child up.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Miss Parker looked up from her paper work, when suddenly, the lights on her floor went out. It turned completely dark in her office. Feeling around blindly, she made her way to the door and swung it open, squinting her eyes in order to focus on the darkness in the halls.

People were scurrying about the halls frantically, some murmuring about escapees and others about the electricity. Miss Parker cocked her head to the side in confusion for a moment, deep in thought. What the hell is going on?

She made her way to Sydney’s office, being run over a couple times by panicky people and only sneering down at them. She swung his door open and briefly looked around the dark room. He wasn’t there.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Go down the stairs and make a right. There you will find an open air vent on the far wall. Go through there and follow the tunnel until you reach the outside. There you will find a friend of mine. He will take you some where safe,” I whisper gently to the four children. All four nod at me and spin on their little feet, taking off towards the stairs. I sigh and pray that they will make it okay, before getting up from my haunches and taking off towards the elevator. I knew at any moment they would be down here, searching for me. But, they would only find a [completely] empty floor.

As the doors slide closed, I smile to myself. I got twelve kids out already, thanks to Angelo’s help anyway, and I am on my way to SL-20. ‘She’ waits for me there. I have to safe her, I tell myself. I just have to! I picture the smile on her tiny lips and the happiness in her green eyes as I pick her up and carry her to safety.

Yes, I know. I am aware of the attachment I have of her. Deep down, I will admit, she is like my own. She is like my daughter that I never had, that I [would] never have.

Sighing, the quiver in my voice evidence of my fear, I watch as the doors slide open, stepping out onto the floor and looking around. I know that I only have about ten minutes before the cameras are back on, but I freeze.

What the hell is wrong with me? I can’t move! Fear, panic, all the above pulls me into a position in which I can’t move.

Footsteps… oh god, footsteps echo in the halls. The sound pushes the sound of my heartbeat into my ears. Damn it.

Braking the spell, I dash down the hall, full sprint as I near her door, D35. Skidding to a stop, I pull out the key and lower it to the door lock. [Damn it] it’s the wrong key!

I get down on my knees and pull out a pocketknife and use the tip to unscrew the hinge on the door. Slow… it takes too long! Too slow! [Damn it]. I look over my shoulder from my task at the door and see four sweepers round the corner down the hall.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

The sweepers pace down the hall quickly, their eyes glued onto something at the end of the hall, their guns out and aimed. As they reach the door D35, they glance around.

“This floor is clean. The pest probably went to SL-15 first,” one sweeper mumbled.

“Damn, I hate this job,” another muttered under his breath, tucking his gun back behind his waist and spinning around towards the elevator.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Letting the shaky sigh of relief escape my lips, I tiptoe out of the shadows and lean down to the door hinges again, pulling out the knife. When the last hinge was off, I place a shaky hand on the cold metal and push, the door slowly opening. I dash into the room and lean over the sleeping form, running a hand over her soft hair and brushing it from her face.

“Alexis, wake up,” I whisper. I see her tiny nose wrinkle and her face tense; her green eyes fluttering open with long eyelashes. Her gaze looks up at me over a shoulder and she smiles.

“What are you doing here?” she whispers, and then her face falls in fear. “What is going on?”

I hush her and wrap my arms around her waist, pulling her tiny form up from the lumpy bed. Automatically, her legs wrap around my waist, her arms around my shoulders, as I rush out into the hall dashing towards another room and pulling out a key.

Unlocking the door, I set Alexis down, telling her to stay and rush into the room to wake the other child from his sleep. After I gather all five children from their rooms, I pick Alexis up in my arms and take off towards the elevator, the children following me. As the doors close, the children are silent with fear, listening to the humming of the elevator. I want to lean down and hug them all, telling them that everything was going to be okay and then were going to be with their parents soon.

Won’t they? Would if Angelo couldn’t have found [all] the children’s parents? Would if…?

The doors opening slices my thoughts like butter, and I step out into the floor, still caring Alexis and the four children following me. We make it to a small room and I give them directions of where to go through the air ducts. They nod and one by one, begin to climb into the small hole in the wall.

Turning, I reach the door, when a tiny voice calls me back.

“Mr. Chanson, where are you going?” Alexis asks, her tiny feet trotting up to me. I look down at her and see the sparkle of tears in her green eyes.

“I have to turn the cameras off again and then I have to…” I begin, but her crying stops me.

“Don’t leave me! I don’t want you to get hurt!” she whales.

I hush her, pulling her into an embrace and holding her tiny body to mine. “I am not leaving you Alexis,” I whisper. “I’ll always be with you, okay?” I push her away from me slightly to look into her eyes. “But I want you to follow the others. Get out safely.”

Her small eyes stare back at me with worry and fear. She blinks once, a tear making its way down her cheek. Running the back of her hand across her cheek, she sniffed. “I want to go with you.”

“You can’t, Alexis,” I whisper. “Promise me, you will get out safely.”

Sniffling again, she nods, closing her eyes and lowering her chin. I place a kiss on her forehead and stand up straight, watching her trot over to the air duct and climb inside.

Quickly, I turn and open the door, walking out into the hall to find the camera light in the high corner was beginning to blink red again.

“Shit,” I mutter, and take of towards the elevator, now hearing footsteps from the down the hall.

As soon as I reach the elevator, the doors slide open. My eyes widen, my heart taken a sudden leap as sweepers pour out the tiny space of the elevator. One of them grabs my arm, but I frantically pull away, stumbling backwards and spinning on my heels. I take off down the hall in full speed, the sweepers at my heels.

Blindly, I dash through a door, it slamming shut behind me and I leap three steps at a time as I run down them, hitting the door at the end, sending it flying open.

I hear a scream, watching a woman in a mini skirt fly to the floor after the door hit her square in the forehead, her coffee mug shattering across the floor. I mumble an apology and dash down the hall, hearing the sweepers open the door and bumping into the woman on the floor as well.

Zigzagging through people, I run, fear stricken, down the hall. At the end, I spy a familiar face and I want to run to him, scream at him to hide me, but I dash by, knowing his worried gaze following the sweepers as they ran after me.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Sydney dropped his briefcase right there and took off down the hall after the sweepers, his old legs gaining speed on them.

“Stop!” Sydney screams, his accent almost gone. He watches as the pretender ahead skids to a stop at the end of the hall, helpless and trapped. Sydney watches as he jams his finger on the elevator button over and over, panicky looking up at the lighted numbers on top of the closed doors.

“Sydney!” Sydney hears Miss Parker yell from behind him.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

I press my back against the wall next to the elevator, feeling the heat of panic and fear rise again in my body. I want to scream, curl up in a ball on the floor and tell them do what you will.

I don’t care anymore. Not for my life anyway. I got seventeen children out, that is all that matters. What ever happens to me, I don’t care, at least the children are safe.

I watch as Miss Parker walks up behind Sydney, both wearing a worried expression on their faces, their gaze glued onto me. Mr. Parker soon appears as well, but his face doesn’t take on worry, but of some kind of twisted joy. He wants me dead, I know.

My gaze snaps to the sweepers again, all six of them crowding around me like vultures circling a dead animal. I see the guns in their hands, them lifting their aim to my chest. I hold breath, my attention glued onto them, my eyes pleading.

The sudden ding of the elevator doors slices through my heart like a knife and I almost faint. As I begin to inch my way towards the open doors, a deep voice booms out.

“Don’t move or I’ll shoot you down!” a sweeper threatens. I freeze, glancing over at him. He is the closest to me, his eyes dark as the halls around me. An evil gleam shines in them, causing a tight hold of panic in my chest. I watch him, my ‘blue’ eyes glued onto his.

“Why are you doing this Mr. Chanson?” I hear Mr. Parker’s voice ask. My eyes snap over the shoulders of the sweepers to Mr. Parker, his aged eyes narrowed as he stares at me in disgust. I want to slap him, hard, but I still lean against the wall in fear.

“To…” I say, pausing after my voice quivers. “Help the children.” I almost jump as he laughs at me, throwing his head back. I see the look Miss Parker shoots him, but I know he is unaware.

“You idiot! You just made a huge mistake!” he shouts. “Shoot him.”

“Is that how it was?” Miss Parker voice screams suddenly. Everyone freezes, as Mr. Parker looks over at his daughter in surprise. “Is that what happened with mom?” she asks, her eyes sparkling with tears as she stared up at her father. He sighs deeply, raising his chin a little. “You killed her didn’t you?” Miss Parker shot out, stepping back from him.

“I would never shoot your mother!” he boomed angrily at her.

“No, but you gave the orders to! Didn’t you?” she asked.

Mr. Parker looked over at me and said again. “Shoot him!”

My heart leaps as I watch him slap Miss Parker right as the shots begin. I dash into the elevator, hearing screams, and shouts over the banging of the barrels of the guns.

“No! Jarod!” I hear Sydney scream, right as something seemed to bite me in the arm and then the side… I double over clutching my stomach, trying to breathe.

Silence. Am I dead? No… I am still standing.

I look up over the madness. Slow motion… everything was in slow motion. I see Sydney running towards me, pushing past the sweepers, but his movements are too slow, they are too late.

Numbness. Now am I dead? Not yet.

I lower to my knees, still unable to hear anything over the pounding of my own heart in my ears. I see the blood, but don’t feel the pain. Oh, so much blood. So much blood covers the floor of the elevator. I know, without even looking, that I have been shot twice in the chest.

I lower to the floor, letting the sigh of defeat escape my lips.

Feeling is gone now, staring up at the lights of the ceiling. I see a figure, no two figures lowering to their knees by me. I watch their hands reach out for me, again in slow motion. I can’t feel their touch as they look down at me. I can’t feel anything but this numbness, the numbness that seemed to be there the whole time.

I want to cry, I want to scream. Oh, Catherine I failed you.

My heart pounds louder now, the sound making me seem to go deaf. I close my eyes, wanting the sound to stop, wanting it to stop so badly.

Then suddenly, it did…

~“Now am I dead?” I ask, my voice echoing through my mind. I open my eyes slowly, looking up at her. Her face held a gentle smile, her eyes sparkling as she stares down at me.

“I am so proud of you, Jarod,” her voice hums like a song. I smile warmly, staring at her beautiful face. “But you can’t give up, not yet.”

“It’s so hard,” I whisper.

“I know, but you need to fight it. It’s not your time yet.”

“I can’t fight anymore… it’s so hard. I can’t…”

“You can. Alexis needs you to fight, Sydney needs you to fight… [she] needs you to fight.”

I close my eyes, the feeling of numbness consuming my body again.

“Don’t give up, Jarod,” she whispers, her voice making my heart leap. “Never give up, Jarod. Never, Jarod… Jarod… Jarod…”~

“Jarod! Oh god, please! Jarod, wake up! Please wake up!”

My eyes are heavy, so very heavy. I want to answer her, I want to tell her I am okay, but all I can manage is a quiet whimper.

“Oh my god!” I hear her say. “Jarod?”

Finding strength, my eyes flutter open and I look up at her. Her blue eyes sparkle with tears, her cheeks wet with them. She smiles, gasping in surprise as she leans down to press her lips against mine. I try to kiss back, but I have no strength to do so. She pulls away, wiping at her cheeks.

“Oh thank god, Jarod,” I hear Sydney’s voice say. I weakly look over at him, seeing him too was crying, his cheeks wet. I feel something squeeze my hand and I glance down to see my hand in his. I want to squeeze back, but I had no strength left in me. “Oh god, we thought we lost you, Jarod.”

I look around, the room so unfamiliar. “Where…” but I choke on my words, coughing softly.

“You are in a hospital,” Sydney answers me with a soft smile. “The doctors didn’t know if you were going to make it or not.”

“How did…” I only managed to get out.

“Miss Parker and I,” Sydney began, glancing up at her, “Rode with you down in the elevator. Miss Parker called Broots and told him to get ready to help us carry you to the car. There, we took you to the hospital.”

“Sweepers…”

“We had great timing,” Miss Parker answered, still wiping at her tears. “Oh god, I thought I lost you the same way as my mother,” she said, leaning down and laying her head on my shoulder. I felt my heart leap and I wanted so bad to hold her to me tightly.

“The children…” I began, looking over at Sydney.

Sydney smiled. “Angelo was able to find all the children’s homes. And…” Sydney smiled, leaning down closer to me. “He was able to find yours too.” I stared up at him in shock for a moment, wanting to scream with joy, but all that came out of my mouth was a gasp. Sydney chuckled softly. “Your mom and sister will be here shortly.”

“Oh my god,” I whimpered, trying to hold back the tears. I never cried with happiness before. I was never this happy in my life, and it felt strange… it felt new. I liked it. “How…?”

“With seventeen kids returned to thier homes, the authorities got suspicious. They're investigating the Centre now.” Sydney said happily.

I smiled, feeling warmth roll all the way down to my toes. Never in my life have felt so happy… and at peace.

Thank you, Catherine, thank you so much.

‘No, Jarod, thank you for finishing what I started.’