Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A/N: It's sappy, it's romantic, it's corny- but it is the next chapter.

Sing to Me

by RRP



Three months later...

"Miss Parker, this just came for you!" Broots held up a brown, padded package, and Miss Parker grabbed it out of his hands. She ripped it open, and he tried to see what it was. "Another CD?" He questioned, and she looked at him sharply.

"Is it any of your business?" She growled, and he started to nod, but changed his mind.

"N...no, I g..guess not." He turned back to the computer, and she looked down at the object in her hands. Yes, it was a CD. Another one. She turned to the table, which had a pile of CDs on it. Jarod's latest game. Send secrets and messages through songs. She set the new one on the side, and sorted through the old ones. First had been by some group called Caedmeons Call. The highlighted track was a song called 'The Ballad of San Fransisco' and it made them run to- where else-but San Fransisco. They were a day late, and Broots pointed out later that the song said in one line, 'but tomorrow I'll be in another town,'. Others, numerous songs about places, had made them run all over the US. It was making her mad, like most things Jarod did.

She picked up the newest CD, and noticed that it didn't have any songs about actual places. The highlighted song was called 'Let Me Know'. Strange. She opened the case, and a note fell out. It was written in Jarod's familar scrawl.

'THIS ONE IS JUST FOR YOU'

Parker sighed, and put the note back in the CD case as she snapped it shut. She could hear Broots typing behind her, and Sydney turning the pages of a book.

"If anyone asks where I am, tell them I went out for lunch." Miss Parker said, turning around.

"Where are you really going?" Broots asked before Sydney could stop him.

"Out for lunch." Miss Parker repeated, and Broots shrugged. Miss Parker left the room, and headed for her car. Out in the parking lot, a black Boxster greeted her with an obedient 'beep' as she pressed the unlock button. She climbed in the car, and tossed the CD on the passenger seat.

*-*-*


Miss Parker pulled into her driveway, and stopped the car. She picked up the CD, and got out of the car. She was dying to hear the song, but wouldn't have admitted it to anyone. She walked inside, and to the living room. A brand new CD player sat on the coffee table, and she sighed. How in the world did Jarod travel around so fast? She placed the CD in the new CD player, and set the case and note on the edge of the coffee table. She selected the track, and then sat down, as the song whifted through the room.

"Baby I've been waiting so long,

And I can see what's going on,

I gotta tell you how I feel,

And this time it's gotta be for real,

'Cause I'm feeling so peculiar,

When I see somebody else with you,

And you know my head is turning,

And it's time for me to make that move,



Baby let me know what I should say to you,

Just tell me what it is that I'm supposed to do,

'Cause I'm falling apart on my own

Without you everyday,

So tell me what to do.



Baby when I close my eyes,

I picture you inside my mind.

I think about you all the time,

Girl, why don't you just give me a sign,

'Cause I never understood it,

Why you made me wait so long

And I've got to get to know you

'Cause the feeling's getting oh so strong,



Baby let me know what I should say to you,

Just tell me what it is that I'm supposed to do,

'Cause I'm falling apart on my own

Without you everyday,

So tell me what to do.




The song faded out, and Miss Parker sat, partially stunned, partially speechless with anger. How dare he? But what if he really meant it? In a strange way, she hoped so. Half of her was screaming to believe him, and the other half was screaming that it was some cruel, sad joke. The next song started, and she let it play. The phone rang, and she turned the music down before answering.

"What?"

"I was serious, you know. I meant it." Jarod's warm voice replied, and she thought he sounded sad, and tired.

"The song?" She snapped back, putting her Ice Queen mask on again.

"Yes."

"Jarod, what do you want me to say?" She demanded, "What do you think I'm going to say?"

"I know what the Ice Queen Parker would say. But I'm hoping the real Miss Parker will answer." Jarod sounded extremely hopeful.

"This is me, Jarod. And I don't understand you, I don't think I ever will. I'm sick of your stupid little games." She could tell she had hurt him, hurt him badly. And she tried not to care, but she couldn't help it.

"Oh, well...Goodbye, Miss Parker." Click. She stared at the phone. Goodbye? He never said goodbye. What did it mean? She was afraid to guess. She set the phone down, and gazed at the CD player, still softly playing the next song.
"I'm sorry Jarod." Miss Parker whispered, but there wasn't an answer that she could hear.

*-*-*


Outside Miss Parker's house, Jarod watched her through a window, and saw her last words. He read her lips, and his heart lifted once again. She had stabbed him, deflated his spirit. But there were the words.

"I'm sorry, Jarod." She whispered, and he smiled.

"I know, Miss Parker. I know." He whispered back, before turning and leaving.

*-*-*


A WEEK LATER...

Miss Parker bit back tears as she hurried to her office. How her father could be so cruel, and yet still claim to love her, she didn't know. She pushed the question away, wrongfully blaming Jarod for putting it in her head. Mr. Parker had yelled at her for something, by the time he finished yelling, she had forgotten what it was even about. He always managed to hurt her. Everyday brought more thoughts of Jarod, more reasons to regret not telling him how she really felt. What her inner self, the real Miss Parker, wished for and wanted. She sat down at her desk, and fought the tears that threatened to fall. A slip of paper was on her desk, and she picked it up. It was an address, and a short note. It was typed, but she knew who sent it.

"SEND YOUR ANSWER.' A pair of blue eyes carefully watched her read the paper, and when she set it down with a sigh, he turned around in the air vent he was in, and crawled off.

Miss Parker wanted to send her answer, but she didn't know how to say it. She was still deep in thought when Debbie came running in.

"Miss Parker!" She stopped when she saw the paper. "I'm sorry, are you busy?" Debbie had a portable CD player clutched in one hand, and a large smile on her face, a smile that was quickly fading.

"No, Debbie. What is it?" Miss Parker smiled at her, as she shoved the paper in her pocket.

"Daddy got me a new CD! Listen!" She offered the headphones, and Parker slipped them on. Debbie pushed play, and the soft, but powerful song filled her ears. She smiled wider. She had found her answer. If Jarod wanted to talk in song, then Miss Parker knew what she would say. She slipped the headphones off, and handed them to Debbie.

"That's a pretty song. What CD is it on?" She asked, trying to sound friendly, and not too interested.

"The Promise, by Plus One." Debbie replied, slipping on the headphones and leaving to spread some more child cheer. Miss Parker stood up, then stopped. If she left now, it would be forever. She couldn't come back. She wanted to leave, go away from all the lies, but Sydney and Broots would still be trapped. She couldn't leave them. But, she was sure Jarod would find some way for them to leave, and Broots definatly wanted to go. Sydney would come, she was sure of it. She walked to the door of her office, and turned. She looked back on it, wondering if there was something she should take. Nothing. She didn't want to drag any reminders of this place with her. She left the room, and walked down the hall. She put on her Ice Queen mask, and watched the small guys tremble with fear, and hold their breath until she had passed.

Then, she saw Sam. How could she have forgotten? There was no way he would let her go. Not out of loyalty to the Centre, but loyalty to her. She would come back then. Pretend she had a lead.

A new plan formed in her head, as she left, and drove to the music store. It only took her minutes to find the CD and buy it, but as she walked back to the car, she realized Debbie hadn't told her what track number the song was. She scanned the titles, and found the one that sounded like it could be it. She slid it into the CD player, and the song greeted her ears with soft notes. Yes, this was it. This was her answer. She just hoped he would know it was for real.

*-*-*


THREE DAYS LATER



Jarod played with the Pez dispenser, and watched the mailbox from the dirty window of the warehouse. He hoped her answer would come today, if she was going to send an answer. The mailman pulled up, gave a cautious look around the area, and shoved a brown package in the mailbox before running back to his truck, and leaving.

"Yes!" Jarod shouted like a happy kid, never once thinking that her answer could still be one he didn't want. He ran outside to the mailbox, and pulled the package out. He shook it gently, and heard a small box slide around. Nope, it wasn't a bomb, it was a CD! He pulled it out as he ran back inside, and looked at it. He read it, as he dropped the CD into his laptop tray. He pushed it in, and went to the highlighted track.

"Please, Miss Parker, be nice." He whispered, before pushing play.

I'm so scared that you will see,

All the weakness inside of me,

I'm so scared of letting go,

That all the pain I've hid will show,

I know you want to hear me speak,

But I'm afraid that if I start to,

I'll never stop,



I want you to know

You belong in my life,

I love the hope,

That I see in your eyes,

For you I would fly,

At least I would try,

For you I'll take,

The last flight out,



I'm afraid that,

You will leave,

As my secrets,

Have been revealed,

In my dreams,

You'll always stay,

Every breathing moment from now,

I know you want to hear me speak,

But I'm afraid that if I start to,

I'll never stop,



I want you to know

You belong in my life,

I love the hope,

That I see in your eyes,

For you I would fly,

At least I would try,

For you I'll take,

The last flight out,



I cannot hold back,

The truth no more,

I let you wait too long,

Although its hard and scares me so,

A life without you scares me more,




Jarod listened to the song three times in a row, before he decided she was serious. Could she really be serious? Could it be some cruel joke, or even a trap? He desperately hoped not.

*-*-*


Miss Parker pulled into the parking lot of the Centre, and ran inside the building, and back to Broots' office.

"Broots, I've got a lead on Jarod!" She exclaimed. "I'm going after him." Broots turned around, eyes wide.

"It was a CD! W...where is he?"

"New Jersey. I'm just taking Sam," Miss Parker handed him the address, minus the note at the top.

"W..where'd you get this?" Broots asked, almost demanded.

"It's not important." She left the room, leaving a shocked Broots, to try to regain his senses and call Sydney.

Miss Parker searched the halls for Sam, and soon found him near the front doors, talking to another younger Sweeper. He seemed to be reprimanding the Sweeper for something, and the younger man was almost trembling. Miss Parker heard him murmur a fearful, 'Yes, sir,' before Sam turned around.

"Miss Parker," Sam seemed a little surprised that she was right behind him.

"We have a lead. We're taking the Corporate Jet."

*-*-*


Sam shifted uneasily in his seat on the jet. She wasn't telling him something. She was too happy. Granted, Sam wanted her to be happy, but it was strange, unusual. She seemed almost...bouncy. He shuddered, wondering what in the world could have made her feel and act like that.

"We're landing." The quick, cut information was given by the gruff Centre captain. Sam pulled his seat belt on, as the jet nosed down and they hit rough air. Miss Parker, several aisles ahead of him, did the same.

Minutes later, the jet had landed, and they got off. Sam put a hand near his gun, ready for anything (or so he thought). Miss Parker did the same, putting on a brilliant act. She had no intention of taking Jarod back to the Centre, in fact, she hoped he would drag her away instead. In a few hours, her Ice Queen mask would be discarded for as long as possible. Although the future change scared her, she couldn't believe she was so ready to go through with it.

Sam saw him first, in the airport. He was standing by a small fast-food restaraunt, gazing at a large picture of a hamburger.

"There he is." Sam whispered to her, discretly pulling his gun out. Miss Parker nodded, and yelled.

"Jarod!" He looked over sharply, and his heart dropped. It was a cruel trick. She had Sam with her.

Meanwhile, Miss Parker hoped once again that she could trust Sam, for everything hinged on his loyalty. Sam was extremely confused, as he ran toward Jarod. Jarod stood still, waiting until the last minute, hoping that it wasn't really happening. Sam was once again surprised, as Miss Parker flew past him, her gun in her pocket. She ran up, and threw her arms around Jarod, and kissed him.

Sam could have sworn Jarod looked as surprised as he did, but he didn't say anything. He stopped, shell-shocked, unsure of what to do. Miss Parker let go of Jarod, and looked into his eyes.

"I meant it." She whispered, and he broke into a grin. Sam pulled his gun up, and aimed it at Jarod's chest.

"Jarod," Sam started, but Miss Parker stopped him.

"Sam, if you're dragging him back, you'll have to shoot me first." Sam stared at her. He couldn't shoot her, he had promised to protect her. And all the Centre junk about the mission coming first never held much with him. He slowly put the gun away, and put his hands behind his back in the traditional bodyguard stance. Jarod still looked slightly confused, and Sam couldn't, no matter how hard he tried, hide his look of absolute confusion, and shock.

Miss Parker grabbed Jarod's hand.

"My stuff is in the plane, let me go get it." He nodded, speechless, and stood still as she raced back to the plane. Sam stayed where he was, unable to discern his next smart move.

Back at the plane, Miss Parker dragged a body bag near the aisle, and pulled a homeless lady out of it. The lady had been a tragic victim of hit and run, but Miss Parker had had the coroner give the lady a face lift, hair tranplant, and several other expensive cosmetic surgeries, and she now looked exactly like Miss Parker. Parker dumped two duffel bags near the door, and ran back to the aisle. She let out a bloodcurdling scream, and shot the 'Parker' lady twice. She ran to the doors, and disappeared, right before the captain raced out of the cockpit.

Sam and Jarod both heard the scream at the same time, and jumped. They both looked straight at each other, as the same thought raced through their minds. 'Miss Parker!' Sam started to turn and run, when Miss Parker rounded the corner with a smile.

"Come on! Let's go, Jarod!" She exclaimed, as she ran towards them, two bags in tow. He grinned, and took one of the bags. Sam didn't move as they walked off. Should he go, or stay? Miss Parker turned back,

"Sam! Come on!" He nodded, and followed them.

Once they were out of the airport, she stopped. Jarod looked at her inquisitivly, as she turned to Sam.

"Sam, you have to go back. Tell them you saw me die, but you don't know who shot me. Sam, please, don't breathe a word of what really happened to anyone!" He looked at her, and saw her eyes pleading, begging for silence so she could keep her freedom. He nodded slowly, understanding the trust she had placed in him. "Sam, we'll find a way to get Sydney and Broots out of that place,"

"Angelo, too." Jarod added, and Miss Parker went on,

"But, do you want out?" Sam wondered if she had forgotten the escapade right before Broots' rescue only months earlier, and his thoughts briefly turned to Stosh. Of course he wanted out! He nodded vigorously.

"Go, Sam." He turned, and started walking slowly back toward the plane. He stopped, and turned around.

"Miss Parker, they won't believe me." She pondered this for a moment, and he could tell Jarod was thinking too. He racked his brain for a solution, and hit upon one. It would hurt, but he would have to do it. He pulled his gun back up, and next to his arm. He closed his eyes, gritted his teeth, and pulled the trigger. Right before he heard the blast, he heard Jarod yell.

"Sam!" But it was too late. Sam felt his arm set fire, and he looked down at his arm. Jarod ran over to him, shouting at him. He faintly caught,

"You idiot!" But most of it was lost, and Sam just stared at his arm, fighting the pain. Jarod had him sitting on a bench, with his jacket off, and a towel, from an airport employee, on his arm, before he really knew what was going on. Several people were crowded around him, asking if he was going to be okay. Jarod nodded grimly, in response to their questions. Sam blushed slightly, embarrassed by all the attention. Sam fought Jarod off with his good arm and stood up.

"Sit back down!" He commanded, and Sam shook his head.

"If I go back with my arm wrapped, and cleaned, there's no way the pilot will believe my story." Sam held his arm, wincing a little, as worried onlookers gave confused stares. Miss Parker stood, shocked, as she finally realized how much Sam was willing to risk. Sam turned, and walked towards the plane, as everyone stared after him. Jarod started to go after him, but Parker caught him.

"You know he's right." She said softly, and Jarod nodded. They left the airport, as Sam stumbled back to the airplane. The captain was leaning over the body of 'Miss Parker', and turned to Sam.

"I...I couldn't save her," He whispered, his gruff tone not relaying worry, but fear. He saw Sam's arm, and gasped. Sam told him the story he had been building in his mind.

"I saw him shoot her, and I ran after him." The captain nodded, understanding.

"Was it him?" The captain asked, under his breath. Sam shook his head.

"It wasn't him. He was wearing a mask, but he was too short to be Jarod. Let's go." Sam sat down, holding his arm, and the captain nodded again, as he stood up and went back to the cockpit. Sam looked at his arm, and sighed. It was going to be a long trip home.

*-*-*


Mr. Parker rushed onto the plane, closely followed by Lyle and several Sweepers. The body bag was covering a still form on the floor of the plane. Mr. Parker knelt on the floor, and lifted the bag. He gave a gasp, and dropped it back down on the ground.

"It's her." He said, as another loud gasp came from a Sweeper.

"Sam!" He exclaimed. Everyone looked to where he had run, to see Miss Parker's loyal Sweeper slumped down to the ground, between two seats. His left arm was drenched in blood, and the Sweeper's face was a deathly pale.

"He...he's alive." The Sweeper breathed, with a sigh of relief.

"He probably passed out from loss of blood." Lyle scorned. "The idiot." He turned, and called over his shoulder. "I'll send a medic team up here." Mr. Parker stood up, and with a last look at the still form of his daughter on the floor, he followed Lyle. Most Sweepers wordlessly followed him, but two stayed behind, trying to revive Sam.

*-*-*


"Sam, you idiot!" The doctor let loose a colorful curse before continuing, "Why didn't you get help there? You've lost so much blood it's hard to believe you're alive!" Sam shrugged, and winced. Even that hurt his arm. It was true, about five minutes after take-off, blood started gushing fast, and he couldn't stop it. He had no idea how long it was before he passed out, but he knew he was out for quite a while.

"They would have asked too many questions." Sam replied, as the doctor sighed and set two files on a counter. One, Sam could see, was his. The other was 'Miss Parker''s. The doctor gave him a threatening look.

"Stay right there, or I promise I'll put you on bedrest for two weeks." Sam nodded, and hid a smile. He heard the doctor's footsteps die out in the hall, and stood up. He walked over to the files, and looked at Miss Parker's. He had to make everything match the real Miss Parker's file. He looked at the computer, and sighed. He found the 'Find File', option, and clicked on it. He typed 'Miss Parker' in the box, and it quickly came up. He looked at the information, and found a pencil. It took several anxious minutes to change everything with one arm, and go back to the main screen, but he did it, and made it back to the chair right before the doctor came back in.

"Take these, and take it easy for several days. Come back in three days so I can check your arm." He handed Sam a bottle, and almost laughed. "That would buy most people bedrest, but I can't seem to keep you Sweepers in bed. Turn around for five seconds, and you're out looking for your infernal guns." He smiled, and Sam stood up with a nod, hiding another smile. How right the doctor was. "Mr. Lyle and Mr. Parker want to talk to you." He added, as Sam left the room. Sam had expected this, and he was ready.

*-*-*


"Jarod, one question," Miss Parker sat on the couch of Jarod's condo, watching him type furiously on his laptop.

"What?" He prompted, without looking up.

"Why the sudden decision? You could have done this years ago." Miss Parker asked, knowing that he would understand what she was talking about. Jarod flipped the laptop screen down, and swivled around in his chair, to face Miss Parker.

"I was on a Pretend, as a police officer, when it happened," Jarod was looking straight at Miss Parker, and she could see pain in his eyes. "I was working one night in Brooklyn, and I heard a noise in an apartment, so I went to investigate. There was a man upstairs, wearing a black mask, and a woman on the floor. He shot her right before I kicked the door down. It was too late, I tried to help her, but I couldn't save her," Jarod's eyes glistened with tears, and he struggled to go on. "Another guy came in behind me, and when he saw her body he started yelling. He attacked the man with the gun, and I had to pull him off him. The police got the murderer, but I tried to counsol the man. He just kept sobbing over and over, 'I didn't get to tell her I loved her,'. I didn't want us to end up like that, Parker. I wouldn't be able to stand it." Jarod fought the tears that were starting to flow, and Miss Parker managed to smile at him.

"We won't be like that, Jarod, not now." He smiled back at her,

"I know. Kiss me again." He grinned, as she leaned forward and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. "Fine. Save the good stuff for later." Jarod was grinning as he said it, and she looked at him.

"Something else is bothering you. What is it?"

"Sydney's rubbing off on you, Parker. Becoming a pyschologist, are we?" Jarod was a little surprised at her question. Miss Parker laughed.

"No, I'm Pretending. Really, what is it?" She asked again, and he sobered.

"When Broots had the 'accident', and we all thought he was dead, Sydney didn't tell me everything."

"What did he leave out?"

"I don't know. Tell me everything, again." Jarod was puzzled, and his face was giving it away. Miss Parker nodded.

"Well, we would have to start the day before, when Broots found the baby-" Jarod stopped her.

"That's it! The baby! No one ever told me about a baby!" Jarod looked excited, and pulled the laptop out again. "Where's the baby now?" Miss Parker's next answer brought all his excitement crashing down to the ground.

"We don't know, we never could find him." Silence took over for several minutes, before Jarod brightened.

"I'll find him."

*-*-*


"So, you saw Miss Parker's shooter, and you know it wasn't Jarod?" Lyle asked again, and Sam nodded.

"Yes." Mr. Parker watched from the other end of the table. He was suspicious of Lyle, thinking that maybe Lyle had arranged the killing. Lyle was feeling the same way about Mr. Parker. Sam could sense the tension in the room, and was grateful for it. It would help him keep his story.

"When you saw that he had shot Miss Parker, did you do anything to help her?" Mr. Parker asked, and Sam nodded again.

"I went forward to see if their was anything I could do, but she was already dead. I followed him, and he shot me in the arm. I lost him right after that, and made it back to the plane." Sam held his aching arm, which helped verify his story. He only hoped he wouldn't have to shoot himself again.

"Fine, we're done here." Mr. Parker stood up and stifled a yawn. They had been questioning Sam for three hours. Lyle gave a low growl, and glared at Mr. Parker before leaving the room. Sam sat for a few minutes after they left, cradling his arm.

*-*-*


ONE WEEK LATER....



Sydney watched Sam walk down the hall, past his office. Miss Parker's death had hurt him, but it wasn't exactly a big shock. But Sam's behaviour bothered him. Sam hadn't yet been reassigned, and spent most of his time walking the halls, and Sydney thought he seemed extremely depressed. If it was because he couldn't save Miss Parker, then that was understandable, but Sydney had a nagging feeling that it was something else. It was time to see Angelo. Minutes later, Sydney found him in his room, rocking back and forth.

"Angelo, can you tell me what is wrong with Sam?" Sydney held a picture of Sam forward. Angelo took it and looked at it with interest.

"Comes with daughter." He said after a few minutes.

"But Miss Parker's dead." Sydney reminded him. They had told him over and over again, but he wouldn't believe them. Angelo stubbornly shook his head. He turned his attention back to the picture.

"Sad. Sad that he can't tell. Can't tell Sydney. It hurts." Angelo half-said, half-chanted.

"Can't tell me what, Angelo?" Sydney knelt down next to him. Angelo leaned towards him, to whisper in Sydney's ear.

"Daughter is alive." Sydney leaned back, shocked. Angelo couldn't lie, could he? He wouldn't, anyway? Not to Sydney.

"Angelo, are you sure?" Angelo nodded, smiling. He whispered, again.

"Daughter is alive."

*-*-*


"Any luck?" Miss Parker asked, handing Jarod a large glass of chocolate milk.

"Nothing really. I'm going to have to hack into the accident reports for that day. See who was on duty." Jarod accepted the glass with a smile. "Thanks."

"You're welcome, but don't expect it again." Miss Parker used a threatening tone, that Jarod knew was fake.

"Hey, I found something!"

"What is it, Wonderboy?" Miss Parker leaned over to see the screen.

"The man who pulled the Sweeper out of the car was an FBI agent, Agent Buddy Jakebs. It says that he and his partner took the baby for security reasons."

"Where does he live?"

"One second."

"Waiting."

"Got it! Let's go!"

"Go where?" Miss Parker inquired, and Jarod grinned.

"We're going to go see that baby!"

*-*-*


"Come on, Alec!" Jakebs threw the diaper bag in the bag of the SUV, and watched as the small boy toddled over to him.

"Daddy!" Alec squealed as Jakebs picked him up and tossed him in the air.

"Let's go home." Jakebs continued to talk to him as he buckled him in the car seat, and started the car.

"Ice cream? Please?" Alec's pronunciation surprised most people, but Jakebs just accepted it. Alec was unusually smart, and already talked in sentences.

"Maybe, kiddo." Jakebs grinned, and Alec laughed.

"Kiddo, kiddo, kiddo..." He chanted as Jakebs drove down the road, and soon pulled into the apartment parking lot.

Jakebs slid out of the Explorer, and walked around to get Alec. He was pulling him out of the car seat when he heard something behind him. He left Alec in the car seat, put one hand on his gun, and whipped around. A tall man was standing there, with a lady next to him. The man stepped forward.

"My name's Jarod, and this is Miss Parker. We might know who the baby belongs to." Jakebs suddenly became defensive. After all, he had taken care of Alec for the past eight months.

"I'm taking care of him." Jakebs snapped, and Jarod stepped closer.

"May I see him, for a minute? We're not taking him right now." Jakebs looked at him for a minute, then slowly nodded. Alec looked at Jarod, as Jarod pulled him out of the car seat and held him. Alec giggled, as Jarod ran a hand through his short blonde hair. Then Alec saw Miss Parker. She smiled at him, but the small boy started screaming hysterically, and reaching for Jakebs.

"Daddy, Daddy!" Alec gasped, between sobs and screams. Jakebs jumped forward and took him. Alec clutched him tightly, and slowly quieted.

"What's a matter, Alec?" Jakebs asked him, as soon as the little boy had calmed down. Alec didn't answer, and Jakebs turned to Parker and Jarod. "Who the heck are you? You scared him half to death! What do you want with him?" Jakebs was yelling, and Alec's little arms were wrapped tightly around Jakebs' neck. Jakebs grabbed the diaper bag out of the car, and thundered up to his apartment, Jarod and Parker following.

"We might know something about him! Is he the little boy from the wreck?" Jarod asked, as Jakebs slammed the door. It slowly reopened, and Jakebs nodded.

"Yeah. Come in, but don't try to pull anything. I have a gun." Jarod nodded, and stepped inside. Jakebs thought he heard the lady, Parker, mutter, 'So do I,', but he ignored it.

Jakebs put Alec in a highchair in the kitchen, and opened the freezer.

"Chocolate, or Vanilla?" Alec squealed again, happiness restored. He usually didn't get ice cream before dinner.

"Chocolate!" Jakebs pulled the chocolate ice cream out, and grabbed a bowl.

"You can sit on the couch. I'll just be a minute." Jakebs scooped the ice cream out, and got a small spoon. "Want me to help? Or do you want to do it by yourself?" He asked, and Alec smiled.

"Do it myself. I can." He responded, and Jakebs grinned.

"I thought so. Don't eat it too fast, kiddo."

"Kiddo, kiddo, kiddo!" Alec laughed, as he pushed the spoon into the ice cream. Jakebs pulled a chair from the table around to the couch, and sat down.

"You said you might know who he belongs to?" Jakebs asked slowly.

"We might be able to find out, but it's a long story." Jarod said, watching Alec eat the ice cream, oblivious to everything around him. Jakebs looked at Alec, before replying.

"I have time."

"We think that the baby-"

"His name is Alec."

"Okay, we think that Alec was kidnapped." Jarod said bluntly, and Jakebs glared at him.

"Who kidnapped him?"

"A place called the Centre. Alec carries a gene called the Pretender Gene, and is very intelligent. We might be able to find out who the parents are," Miss Parker answered, and Jakebs turned around to see Alec.

"If you can find his parents, and prove it's them, then I'll believe you. Until then, he's staying with me." Jakebs took the now-empty bowl away from Alec, and Miss Parker braced herself for a mad scream from the baby, but Alec just sat happily.

"Dinner, soon?" He asked, and Jakebs laughed.

"Soon," He knelt by Alec's highchair. "Alec, why don't you like the lady?" Alec looked at Parker.

"They were mean." He whispered, but loud enough that everyone in the room could hear him. Parker stood up and walked over to him.

"I'm sorry if they were mean, but I promise I'll be nice. Okay?" Alec stared at her for a minute, and nodded.

"Okay." He announced, as he broke into a smile. "Dinner, Daddy?"

"Sure, Alec." Jakebs faced Parker and Jarod. "Wanna stay for dinner?" They looked at each other, and Jarod shrugged.

"We'd be glad to. You're Agent Buddy Jakebs, right?"

"Jakebs, please," Jakebs tossled Alec's hair, and Alec looked up at him.

"French fries?" He asked, and Jarod and Jakebs both broke into wide grins.

"Sure, kiddo."

"Kiddo, kiddo, kiddo..."

*-*-*


Sydney strolled casually down the halls, hoping to catch Sam before he left for the day. He rounded a corner, and saw Sam standing by a window, staring through the gray glass that seemed to match everything else in the Centre, gray, cold, and opaque. Sydney walked up behind him,

"Sam, what are you doing tonight?" He asked, and Sam spun around, breathing a sigh of relief when he saw that it was Sydney.

"Nothing. Stosh is visiting his Grandparents. I don't him them to be home when..." Sam trailed off, gesturing lightly to his arm, which was still limp at his side. Sydney nodded, understanding completely.

"Would you like to join me for dinner?" Sydney asked quickly, and Sam nodded slowly.

"I'd like that."

So, half-an-hour later, Sydney and Sam sat at a small table in a Italian restaraunt, working steadily on large plates of Chicken Alfredo (Sydney) and Rigatoni (Sam), when Sydney asked the question.

"Where's Miss Parker, Sam?" Sam looked up, startled at the unusual question.

"What?" He asked in reply, narrowing his eyes.

"Where's Miss Parker?" Sydney repeated, and Sam sighed.

"With Jarod." He replied, after several minutes of silence.

"What?"

"With Jarod." Sam said again, staring down into his rigatoni. "I don't know where, exactly."

"So the whole shooting was a fake?" Sydney inquired, and Sam nodded. "Your arm?" Sydney pushed, glancing at Sam's 'guilty' arm. Sam looked up, blushing slightly.

"We needed a cover up, so I shot myself." Sydney gave a low whistle, while shaking his head slowly.

"I think it's strange Sam, that we should have two fake deaths in one year, and in both cases, you're the witness."

"I...I've never thought of that, before." Sam admitted, his eyes straying back to the rigatoni, glaring at it, as if it were someway responsible.

"I'm not implying anything, just pondering." Sydney added, to make sure Sam didn't think he had misplaced Sydney's trust in someway. Yes, he was disappointed that Sam hadn't told him, but it was probably because of Miss Parker's orders. Sam had actually gained some trust, by keeping it a secret, and going so far as being willing to inflict pain upon himself to protect her. Suddenly, a song came on, over the speakers in the restaraunt,

Do you trust me?

Do you trust a friend?

Do you trust a memory,

Or do you trust it's end?



Trust me alone please,

If you think you can,

Trust me alone please,

The lone, sure shadow man.



Watching in the darkness,

Betrayed once again,

I promise, not I, did that,

Worst of all sin,



Trust me alone please,

If you think you can,

Trust me alone please,

The lone, sure shadow man.



Silence speaks the loudest,

When the actions yell,

Forgotten promise broken,

Please just don't tell,



Trust me alone please,

If you think you can,

Trust me alone please,

The lone, sure shadow man.



Watching you from shadows,

Protecting day and night,

Catching, freeing, never leaving,

Until all is right.



Trust me, trust me,

The lone sure shadow man,

Trust me if you can,

The lone sure shadow man.




"That's another thing that's strange." Sydney said slowly. "All the songs seem to match what's going on in our lives."

"Then I guess it's true." Sam replied quietly.

"What?"

"The words of a book are powerful, but truer still are the words of a song."

*-*-*