Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A/N: Tadum! Tadum! Tadum! R/R

Protect Me

by RRP



"Riley!" Jakebs called out, as he saw her step off the bus. She looked tired, old, and scared, and that scared him. She looked up quickly, and hurried over to him.

"I'm sorry, Jakebs." She whispered, as he turned wanting to hug her and reassure her, but afraid to do so.

"Why?" Was all he could think to say.

"For leaving in the first place." She said, following him, staying close, and looking around fearfully.

"Ah, Ri! You couldn't have known." He said, leading the way to his car.

"I should have though." She protested weakly.

"How? Shh, just be quiet. It's okay now." Jakebs replied, setting Alec in the car, and turning back to her. "Where do you want to go?"

"My place." She answered, numbly sitting in the passenger seat, and staring blankly out the windshield.

"Sure." Jakebs climbed into the driver's seat and started the car.

"Buddy." Riley spoke after several minutes of silence.

"What, Ri?"

"Thanks."

"No problem, Riley. Anything for you. Do you want to get anything at the store? Something to eat?" Jakebs offered awkwardly, unsure of what to do. He handled dozens of homicides and rapes every year, yet when it happened to someone he cared about, his mind became blank.

"No. I just want to go home." Riley shook her head, curling up on the passenger seat.

*-*-*


Five months later...

"Broots, we just got this in the mail," Miss Parker held out a CD, with a blue-gray cover.

"You, you want me to play it?" He asked, stuttering.

"Syd! A genius! Just don't tell the Centre!" Miss Parker said sarcastically. "Yes, you moron. Play it."

Sydney stepped forward, as Broots opened the case. A slip of paper fell out, and Miss Parker grabbed it.

"Track thirteen." She snapped, after glancing at the note. Broots nodded, and waited for the CD to load on the computer. A small black box popped up, and he selected thirteen, and pushed play.

"So I'm walking down the street somewhere outside of San Francisco

But I don't really know my way around

And I'd love to stay a day or two and get into some trouble"


"Sydney, get the jet ready for flight to San Francisco. We're going to catch Labrat." Miss Parker interupted. Only heard by Broots, underneath Miss Parker's voice, was the next line of song.

"But tomorrow I'll be in another town."

"Miss Parker!" Broots stuttered, trying to get her attention.

"Not now Broots!"

"But-"

"Not now. Let's go." They left the room, the Cd still playing.

"There's at least one coffee bar for every single couple

And there's at least a couple in this place

It's strange the things you notice when the walls are closing in

And the walls are closing in on me today



So where, oh where can I find someone, anyone

'Cause there's no way out of here

Well, here is where I live and so I guess that means

The carrot's gonna dangle for at least another year



I love anonymity and I love being noticed

Just the same as anybody else

Years ago I told you how I loved to be alone

These days I'd be perjuring myself



So where, oh where can I find someone, anyone

'Cause there's no way out of here

Well, here is where I live and so I guess that means

The carrot's gonna dangle for at least another year



It's like you gave me up like I gave up drinking coffee

So I guess I would've done the same

Now I know I'm lost somewhere outside of San Francisco

But I'm still glad that I came."


*-*-*


The pavilion was full of long tables, most of which were covered with food. A large banner hung at one end, saying in blue and black letters,

'5th ANNUAL DOVER FBI PICNIC' It was an enjoyable occasion, except for the Undercover agents, who weren't permitted to attend. The air was frosty, but the pavilion was heated. No one knew why the 'picnic' was held in November, but one popular theory was that no one would expect someone to hold a picnic in November, which is why it made it perfect for the FBI.

"Hey, Ri! How's it going?" Jakebs yelled across the pavilion. Riley smiled, and began walking towards him as he jogged to meet her.

"Better. How about you and Alec?"

"Great! Except Alec's the center of attention, and the rest of the guys will give him anything he wants." Jakebs motioned towards the crowd of FBI Agents crowding around a table.

"Kinda like you?" Riley said, smirking. Jakebs frowned.

"I do not spoil him." He protested.

"Jakebs, the kid owns half the apartment. You're going to have to get a house just to find room for all his toys." Riley rolled her eyes.

"Well, maybe, once in a while." Jakebs admitted.

"You're a regular at Toys-R-Us. The stock guys know you and Alec by sight and name." Riley laughed, sipping a soda.

"Okay. You're right. I spoil him." Jakebs agreed, holding his hands up in mock surrender. At that moment, an FBI Agent slipped past them to get a drink, and accidentally bumped into Riley, who flinched. Jakebs frowned, as she moved aside, and watched the rest of the Agents from a distance.

Her mask had worked for most, but Jakebs knew she hadn't given herself enough time to recover, if that was possible, but still, she hadn't even given herself a chance to try and recover. She had gone through the motions. Counseling, doctor checkups, but, she hadn't really payed attention. She just closed her eyes, and waited for it to pass.

The Dover FBI got a warrant for Peter Krandall's arrest, and the lowlife was in prison, but after that, Riley had pretended to move on, and the rest of the Force accepted that.

But her masquerade hadn't fooled Jakebs, so he still worried.

*-*-*


Miss Parker kicked open the door of Jarod's latest lair in San Francisco, and stormed in, gun ready. She made a throrough inspection of the room before she decided it was empty. She put her gun back in her holster, and kicked the wall, while cursing Jarod.

"Um, Miss Parker. You might wanna, um, look at this." Broots stuttered, staring into the near empty fridge.

"What?" She stomped over to him, and ripped the piece of paper he had found out of his hands.

"What's it say, Miss Parker?" Sydney asked.

"You should have listened to the rest of the song. -Jarod." Miss Parker read aloud. She cursed again, and scunched the paper into a ball, and threw it on the floor. Broots scurried to pick it up, to take to the Centre.

*-*-*