Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

The Music of the Heart
Part 13 - Giubilante



Jarod shut the door of the room behind him as he stepped out into the corridor and looked up at Miss Parker who stood opposite.

"Nothing."

"What do you mean, 'nothing'?"

"I mean he can't remember. For some reason, even his subconscious has been blocked by someone."

"Or something," she murmured as she moved towards the door.

He watched her enter the room softly; his mind allowed her words to revolve within it. "Something…" he muttered to himself. "If it is something, I wonder what."

*~*


"What are you looking for?" Broots asked.

"I don't know." A small frown appeared on Jarod's face as he read over the information in front of him.

"Don't know?" Broots pulled up a chair and sat beside him. "How can you not know?"

"All right then, smarty," teased Jarod as he sat back. "You tell me what Mr Parker called a project that was used to wipe some of Sydney's memories."

"Ah."

The word was stated quietly and, with a smothered grin, Jarod turned back to the computer. Silence extended for more than twenty minutes until the Pretender sat back again.

"I've narrowed it down to three."

"On what basis?"

"Several. But primarily by date." He looked over at the technician. "During the session he had no problem recalling everything until soon after I was bought to the Centre. After that it becomes more patchy, leading up to the time about three months before Catherine Parker's death. Then it just stops, like somebody wiped it all away. He can remember some things," Jarod corrected himself, "like simulations we ran or conversations we had, but nothing apart from that."

"What do you have?"

"Aventine, Capua and Janus. The first was started in 1955 and Capua in early 1963. Janus was some months later." Jarod opened the first and scanned it rapidly. "It wasn't Aventine."

Broots shook his head. "Before you get into it, can you tell me what each of them are? My mythology isn't that good."

"Aventine was the site at which Ceres was worshipped. She was the Roman goddess of fertility. The project named in her honor," Jarod sneered slightly, "was the decision that Catherine Parker would make the ideal subject for the first IVF case. And, of course, her husband approved it."

"Of course." Broots nodded. "I would have thought that went without saying."

"Capua was the place that the goddess Diana was worshipped. She was the protector of children." Jarod fell silent for a moment as he absorbed the information in the file.

"What is it, Jarod?"

The Pretender's face was pale. "It was true."

"What was?"

"What my father told Miss Parker when she went to talk to him in the Centre after I rescued Steven."

"What did he say?"

Jarod sighed impatiently. "He said that Catherine and her husband were both keen to get Miss Parker and myself out of the Centre. According to this," Jarod waved in the direction of the computer, "when Catherine objected to several projects and threatened to expose the Centre, the Triumvirate threatened her. Mr Parker was willing for her to leave the Centre with Miss Parker and me. Capua was the secret plan that we would get out and Mr Parker was willing for it to happen." Jarod stopped for a moment and stared at the screen. "At least, he was willing provided that Sydney didn't accompany us." He stopped again. "That's why the car accident occurred, and why Michelle had to disappear."

"How did they learn about it?"

"Who?"

"The Triumvirate."

"Their pet told them."

"Raines?"

Jarod nodded, his mouth twisted bitterly as he stared out of the window.

"And Janus?"

Jarod's thoughts were brought back to the present as Broots spoke and he looked down to the computer, opening the file and reading the information.

"This is it." His face became sad. "This is what I wanted.

"What is...?"

"Janus was the god of gates. Gates, of course, block things. Highly imaginative." His lips twisted into a sneer again.

"And what was it?"

"A drug that Mr Parker had had designed and used it to erase information from Sydney's mind." Jarod turned and faced the technician. "If the information had only been blocked, we would have been able to find out about it under hypnosis. With this drug, Mr Parker was able to erase it."

"And who created it?"

Jarod got up suddenly, the chair tumbling onto its side, and ran over to the sink, where he retched for several moments before wiping his mouth and slowly turning around. "I did." His voice was almost inaudible. "I created that drug one year when Sydney was away visiting his brother."

"Can you reverse it?"

Jarod shook his head sadly. "Even if I did, there's nothing to reverse. The data is gone, lost. Nothing I could create would recall it."

"So - what now?"

"I want to find the information that was removed. There has to be a way of getting hold of it - especially now - but I can't."

"Jarod." The Pretender, becoming agitated, looked over as the technician spoke. "Why don't you let me hunt for it while you go and tell them what you found?"

"Tell them?" An expression of pain crossed Jarod's face. "How on earth am I supposed to tell them?"

*~*


"Why don't you remember it, Jarod? Why did you have to see the facts before they came back to you?"

He looked up from his seat on the bed to see Miss Parker standing in the doorway and shrugged indifferently.

"What does that matter?"

She came and knelt at his feet, resting her head on his knee. "It does matter. It matters a lot." She paused, but he remained silent. "Don't you see, Jarod? It must have been used on you, too."

He froze, his hand about to rest on her head but now hovering in the air about it.

"What?" It was a whisper forced out between teeth that seemed clenched firmly together.

"Broots came up and told us that he found something to say that it was used on you, as well. Mr Parker," the name came out bitterly between her lips but neither noticed, "used it to hide the fact of its creation, so you would never accidentally mention it to Sydney."

She reached up and captured his hand in both of hers, rising to sit on the bed next to him.

"Broots said he found the information you were looking for - and more."

*~*


"You see, Sydney," Broots looked up from the computer as Jarod and Maleah entered, "they've been using that drug for more than thirty years. According to this, every time that something had to be decided, the Triumvirate would come to you, you would sign the relevant form. Then Mr Parker would administer the drug so you forgot about it. It would wipe your short-term memory before you had a chance to store it, long-term, and so you would never remember."

"That puts him in danger!" Miss Parker placed one hand on each of her father's shoulders.

"No," Jarod shook his head. "It doesn't put him in danger because he was never allowed used his real name." He picked up a piece of paper. "I received this from the Yakuza this morning. It's a report that they want to get hold of a Cameron Horvath who, according to what they found, is the person who gave his assent for all of the transactions in which they were involved."

"But how could they... and how could you...?"

"Cameron... Horvath." Sydney's voice was thoughtful. "I remember that. Every Monday morning, before I would begin work, one or other of the Triumvirate would come in with a pile of papers and ask me just to quickly sign them using that name. I would be left alone with the papers for about an hour and then they would come back and take them away, always leaving either something to eat or drink behind."

"But why?"

"They wanted to set up a fall-guy, Maleah. To make it easier, and to restrict the amount of knowledge floating around the Centre, they made sure that only one person ever saw those forms. If anybody found out about it, no doubt they would immediately have produced a body and said that that was the person they wanted. Because of the things that Sydney read, he necessarily could learn all of the secrets of the Centre. That's what Lyle meant when he said that despite everything he knew he wouldn't treat your father any differently. And Catherine presumably had no idea of what Mr Parker was doing and believed that Sydney could still remember everything as well."

Jarod stopped for a moment before continuing.

"Because Mr Parker didn't fully understand the way that Janus worked, he was scared that if somebody stopped being treated with it, the memories might come back. That's why everything was done to keep Sydney at the Centre."

"And that's why you were so important to them, Jarod."

The group gathered in the kitchen looked at the technician.

"What do you mean?"

"It's here. Mr Parker wrote in a memo to the Triumvirate that, if you were ever allowed to completely disappear or were in any way permanently injured, Sydney might use the occasion to leave the Centre. Apparently Mr Parker knew about the treatment that Lyle was giving you when he dragged you back to the Centre but did enough to make sure that it wouldn't be permanent. It wasn't just because of your abilities - they could, and did recreate those." Broots looked at Steven. "But you built up an emotional connection with Sydney and that was what they couldn't afford to have broken off."

"You said that the Yakuza wanted Horvath."

Jarod nodded thoughtfully and then grinned. "I say we give him to them."

"What?! How?"

"Let's give them Lyle."

"Then you will be giving them Horvath."

Steven looked up from the computer he had been using and grinned as the others stared at him. Major Charles walked over and put one hand on his shoulder. "What do you mean, son?"

"According to this, Cameron Horvath is Lyle's real name. Or, if not the name he was given at birth, it was the one that Raines registered him under when he was only a few days old."

Jarod took the computer away from under his brother's hand and typed in the name, scanning the pages quickly.

"The name of Cameron Horvath," he proclaimed after several moments, "was first used after the birth of the man we know as Lyle in 1960. That means that, if the Yakuza or anyone else ever got too close to the Centre, Mr Parker could happily hand Lyle over to them and everything would be alright." Jarod paused briefly and then continued, his face devoid of expression.

"In fact, there was only one thing Mr Parker didn't know."

"And that was?"

Jarod typed in the details given to him by Broots and stared down at the frozen image of the woman that appeared before his eyes.

"The existence and location of Catherine Parker's DSA."

*~*


Jarod came back down the stairs after having helped Debbie back into bed. He sighed heavily and then walked through the doorway and into the living room where a group sat, waiting for him. He was about to sit down on the floor when Miss Parker got up and took his hand, placing him in the seat she had occupied and then seating herself on his lap, putting her hand into that of her father who sat beside them both.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" He looked at her, noting that there were now unshed tears in her eyes.

"Very sure."

"Um, it's kind of long." Broots spoke up from his seat next to the DSA player and which Jarod had earlier plugged into the television so that it was more visible.

"How long?"

"I'm not sure, exactly, but it's a big file."

"Play it anyway," Miss Parker instructed from where she sat. "We've got as much time as we need."

As the screen flickered into life, Jarod could feel Parker holding her breath. He slipped an arm around her waist and she rested her head on his shoulder.

"My name is Catherine Elaine Parker. I make this DSA in order that, one day, after I am dead, it will be possible for people to learn about the real secrets of the Centre. The facility known as The Centre was founded by my husband, with the assistance of myself, in 1954, soon after our marriage. Within six months of its conception, the Centre extended itself to the creation of a fertility clinic. The two have, until this point in time, been wholly interconnected and inseparable. It is my suspicion that they will continue to remain so. It was, at the time, my own and my husband's intentions that the Centre should remain positive and altruistic in its aims and objectives. While this has always remained my objective, I understand that circumstances have changed my husband's viewpoints. You who watch this may know little or much of the Centre's current state. I can only hope that you have not been the victim of such potential transformations."

A collective shudder seemed to run through all of those present as they realized the honesty that was collected in those statements.

"During the first years of the Centre's operations, several people were employed who have greatly influenced the events which occurred there. The first is Doctor William Raines."

At this point the screen, which had been clear, became covered with static. Jarod glanced at both the woman he held and at their brother, who was sitting close to the television.

"Are one of you doing that, or is it Catherine herself?"

Ethan shrugged. "It's her."

Jarod nodded and concentrated on the screen once more.

"Dr Raines' influences on my husband cannot be seen as positive. His actions towards a number of the children within the Centre have shown the potential he has for cruelty. It is my hope that this recording will be found soon enough that he can be removed before the damage is made permanent."

Sydney looked from Angelo who sat at his feet to Ethan and sadly shook his head before glancing over to find Jarod watching him. The psychiatrist nodded and, words being unnecessary, the two continued to watch.

"The other who has a great influence within the Centre, this time on a far more positive note, is Doctor Sydney Remarque. His position, not only as the father of two of my children - "

There was a general gasp in the room as the words were spoken but a desire to hear more prevented an outburst of speech.

" - but also in the trust he has allowed myself and others to place in him have given him a far greater authority within the structure of the Centre than could be considered safe. If the great changes I believe will come arrive while he is employed within the Centre then I believe his life will be in as much danger as my own is at this moment."

Miss Parker felt her father's hand clutch hers convulsively for a moment and she turned to him with a gentle smile.

"His debt to myself is large and I know that he will do everything possible within himself to discharge it, if not to myself directly then by aiding the children I leave behind me in every possible way. I do not speak merely of my own children, but also the other children of the Centre who, entrapped within the walls of that place, can only hope to be rescued before they are destroyed completely."

"Pause it, Broots." Miss Parker's voice cut across the otherwise silent room and the technician leaped to do as she told him but the tape faded to black before he could do so. Ignoring this, the daughter faced her father, her expression curious.

"Why, Dad? Why did you owe her a debt?"

"Your mother, Maleah," Sydney sighed and clutched both of her hands within his own. "It was in August 1967 - the second in fact. Your uncle and I were driving home from the Centre and were arguing about a plan that Catherine herself had proposed that day - that we should work together in order to save the children, including yourself, who were trapped inside the Centre. The car spun out of control and crashed, leaving your uncle in a coma."

Sydney swallowed and Miss Parker would have spoken, but for the warning hand Jarod placed on her shoulder.

"Your mother was also leaving the Centre that night. She was several cars behind and saw the accident. Immediately, she came over and helped me to save Jacob's life." Sydney's eyes glistened with tears. "She took us both to a nearby hospital where she knew that we would be safe and then went home and told her husband. Between them, they managed to keep the accident quiet until I was able to move Jacob to a safe place where he could continue to be looked after. Raines came looking for him only a few hours after I got him safely away and I know that he would have killed him. That," he turned to his daughter and smiled, "was the debt that I owed your mother. Jacob was all the family I had left that I knew of and she managed to help me keep it for a little while longer."

"And what," Miss Parker spoke up after a pause of some minutes, "was the terrible family secret that she mentioned to you in 1970? The one that we heard her refer to on the DSA, the last time you saw her."

"Ah, yes." Sydney sat back slightly and smiled a little sadly. "To her it was such a terrible secret. I don't know that it would be considered as such now."

"What do you mean?"

"Your mother, Miss Parker, was a very strict Catholic, if you'll recall. Had she not met your father, I firmly believe that she may have taken the veil and become a nun. I should add," he said suddenly, "that she never told me what that secret was. I, of all people, was the one she could never mention it to."

"Why not?" His daughter's voice betrayed her eager curiosity.

"Because you and your twin brother were the subjects of it. As a Catholic, and being one myself, I understand, to a certain degree, her feelings, it must have been terrible for her to know that she had two - later three - children to men who were not her husband."

"But that wasn't her fault," Ethan burst out from the other side of the room.

"No," Sydney agreed. "But she would have felt the shame of it, all the same."

At this juncture, Major Charles caught the eyes of his daughter and Steven and gestured them away. After one final, cautious look, Broots followed. Only Jarod saw them leave and he smiled slightly as the technician glanced once more over his shoulder before shutting the door.

"Hi, baby."
The voice from the television made the room's remaining occupants jump and they turned as one to stare at the screen.

"I hope you one day have the chance to see this. I have the feeling that, perhaps, the man you think of as your father may try to destroy it. I hope that someone will find it for you so that you can hear what I want to tell you."

The face of Catherine Parker glanced down for a moment and Jarod, at least, saw the tears that dimmed her eyes.

"Your position at the Centre is as unique as you are. As you may have heard, it was my husband and myself who were responsible for the creation of the Centre but, a couple of years after you and your twin brother were born, several bad decisions on the part of your father left it in severe economic straits. This had two results. Firstly, a group that called itself 'The Triumvirate' was brought in to help try to resurrect it. They slowly took control, buying power where they couldn't intimidate it, until they had full control. The second result was less pleasant even that that."

Jarod nodded, believing that he could guess what was coming.

"The Centre had managed to learn, or assist in the creation and development, of a number of highly gifted children. You know several of these already - Jarod and your brother Timmy to name two. It was decided that these children could help the Centre recover what it had lost and so the transformation into the modern think-tank was begun. I, as you may imagine, objected strenuously to the use of the children, but I was ignored and informed that, the Triumvirate having bought up so much of the Centre, I had no more say."

A small smile hovered around the edge of Catherine Parker's mouth.

"I decided that I would regain my rights. Little by little, using the money that I earned and that my parents had given me, I began anonymously buying back those parts that I was able to. It cost me every cent I had, but it was worth it. It means that you, your father - should he still be living - and your brothers are the rightful heirs and owners of the Centre itself. If the Triumvirate ever learns of it, however, my life will be in even more danger than it is now, as will yours."

The figure on screen looked around the room that those watching the DSA had already identified to themselves as the living room in Raines' forest house.

"I have a feeling that they will manage to destroy me and that I will never have the chance to see you or either of your brothers grow up. I can only hope that one day your brothers and Ethan's half-brothers will be able to help you complete my plan."