Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Childhood Fantasies
Part 1


He stared down at the piece of paper in amazement and then back up at both women. "But… how? I’ve never met these people."

"Sure?"

"I don't know the names."

Dr. Childs pulled out two cards from the file and handed them to him. "Driver's licenses. Recognize the faces?"

Jarod examined the photos carefully and then shook his head definitively. "Never seen them before in my life."

"Well, they know you. They must, or they wouldn't have left the kids to you."

He looked back over his shoulder to where he could see the girl on the bed in her room, sound asleep. Then he looked up at Ruth. "Are you finished your shift?"

"In five minutes, yes."

"Good. Come to my office then. We need to discuss this."

"I'll say."

* * * *


"So you're saying that the girl knows about her parents and the accident?"

"And me, and the fact that I'm going to, as she put it, 'find somewhere nice for us to live'." He looked up and waved Ruth into the room. "And she also mentioned something about a nice doctor with yellow hair, who had a man's name, but was a lady." Jarod eyed Dr. Childs. "I think we just found our culprit."

Ruth sat down. "She was talking in her sleep, just before, and I heard the name 'Sam'." She glanced at the female doctor. "It has to be you."

"What is going on?" Sam demanded.

Jarod leaned back in his chair. "As I said to Ruth, I wish I knew." He looked down at the photos. "I've definitely never seen these people - and I do mean seen, not only met. I've never laid eyes on them."

"Well, this is as clear as day." Sam picked up the will. "'We hereby leave custody of our children to Dr. Jarod Kind, who will take care of them and make a home for them with himself.' Doesn't get much plainer than that."

Ruth looked up. "Is that all?"

"Everything. It's like they had nothing left to leave."

"They probably didn't." Jarod picked up the paper on which he had been making notes and glanced over it. "I told you about the repossession. Well, I found some bank account details and every cent was withdrawn last week."

He circled a total on the page and pushed it over to them. Seeing the number, Sam picked up the folder and opened it, withdrawing a bundle of receipts, held together with another slip of paper and a bulldog clip.

"Anyone be surprised if I said that the total of the receipts we found in the purse with the will - and which are for food and diapers - was the exact same amount as that withdrawal?"

"Not really." Jarod looked up. "I'm beginning to develop a theory."

"Let's hear it."

"It's pretty outlandish."

"We'll laugh at you if we think it's necessary."

"Thanks." He grinned briefly. "Okay, I'm beginning to believe that there's some sort of psychic power at work here."

He waited.

"You're not laughing."

"If I didn't think it was the most plausible option, I would be." Ruth sat back in her chair and looked at him. "I began to get the same idea when Bronwyn was talking and that," she waved her hand at the papers on the desk, "seems to confirm it."

"Sam?"

She nodded. "Weird as it sounds, and I'm a huge skeptic by the way, I can't help but think that it's the only possibility."

"There's one way to test it," the man put in suddenly.

"Really?"

Jarod nodded. "She's never seen you - she admitted that much herself. So let's take you up and see if she'll know you."

* * * *


"Hi sweetie."

Jarod walked into the room and watched as the girl looked up, beaming. Her face was covered in the ice cream that she was finishing.

"Want some, Jarod?"

"No, it's fine." He smiled as he sat down. "You eat it."

The little girl scooped the last traces out of the bowl, licked the spoon clean and then glanced up at him. "Did you find the letter from Mommy?"

"Which letter, Bronwyn?"

"The one that says you're going to look after us."

Keeping the expression of amazement away from his face, Jarod nodded. "Yes, we found it."

"And is Sam coming up to see me?"

"Sam?"

"The lady I said about before. The doctor."

"Actually, she is."

"Goody." The girl began to bounce on the bed again and Jarod grabbed the bowl as it turned upside down.

"Hey, careful! You don't want to waste it."

"You'll give me more."

"Oh, will I?" Jarod laughed. "And when?"

"When we get to where we're going to live, 'cos you like ice cream, too, even more than me!" The girl glanced up to see the doctor standing in the doorway.

"Hi Sam."

Jarod raised an eyebrow as he looked up at her, but the doctor concealed her shock and walked over to the bed. "Hi Bronwyn. You wanted to get to know me, huh?"

"When Mommy told me about Jarod, I saw you, too."

"Where did you see us, Bronwyn?" Jarod placed the bowl onto the table as he looked down at her.

"In here." The little girl tapped the side of her head. "Where Mommy always said I have my magic picture room."

Jarod sat back in the chair, watching as Sam leaned against the wall. "And did Mommy have one of those too?"

"Yup." The girl smiled. "But she said that only the girls in our family have them."

"And did you tell anybody else about it?"

The little girl shook her head so that her brown curls danced. "Mommy always said that the only people I should ever tell were you, Sam and Ruth."

"And so you've never told anybody else?"

"Nope." She looked down at the tip of her nose, crossing her eyes in the process, and tried to lick the ice cream off it. A tiny frown appeared on her face as she struggled but couldn't reach it. Finally she looked up at Jarod.
"Help."

He laughed and picked up a cloth, wetting it at the sink, then gently washed the remains of the ice cream off her face. "You'll have to learn to eat it more neatly."

"You make a mess too, sometimes." She giggled. "You even spilled it on your pants once, when you weren't paying attention."

He laughed again, somewhat awkwardly, but remained silent.

* * * *


"Well, that explains everything!" Jarod spoke sarcastically and threw his hands up in the air as the two of them walked down the hall. "Suddenly I get landed with a family?"

"Come on, she's gorgeous."

"I don't dispute that." Jarod glanced at her. "And I have no problems with it either, but it's a little unexpected, wouldn't you say?" He grinned. "I don't know if you've noticed, but you seem to be included in this circle of ours."

"I...what?"

"Think about it. When she learned about me, she saw you."

He walked into his office and she followed. As she was about to continue speaking, there was a knock at the door.

"Uh, excuse me, Dr. Kind?"

Jarod looked up to see a man in a courier's uniform. "Yes?"

"I've been asked to deliver these to you."

"These?"

The man reached down and picked up several large parcels, placing them on the chair in the room. Then he held out a clipboard. "I just need your signature here."

Jarod signed the form and nodded his thanks, watching as the man left before glancing down at the parcels.

"Why do I get the feeling...?"

"That this is connected with your kids," Sam finished for him as she settled into a chair on the other side of the desk.

He raised an eyebrow. "My kids?"

"They are now."

Groaning, Jarod dropped into a chair. "I knew I should have called in sick this morning."

There was a brief pause, before the woman spoke again.

"Are you going to open them or not?"

Jarod looked up at her and grinned weakly. "If I don't, does that get me out of it?"

"No." She shook her head and picked up the will. "This gets you in so deep that nothing can get you out." Sam smiled. "Face it, Jarod. You are now the official guardian of two small, adorable kids."

He rolled his eyes. "You have no idea of softening things, do you?"

She laughed. "No, not really. Not if it helps you face reality."

"You forgot one important fact, though," Jarod told her.

"And that is?"

"One of my kids is psychic and knows everything about me." He groaned and hid his face in his hands.

"So open the parcels and maybe you'll learn things about both of them," Sam urged.

"That's the most sensible thing you've said all day."

He grabbed the first package and placed it on the desk, taking a letter opener and slitting the top.

"So, what's in it?"

"Clothes." Jarod looked up. "Girl's clothes." He reached in and pulled out a slip of paper. "And a note. 'So that they don't get damaged in the crash.'" He rolled his eyes again. "This is getting downright freaky."

"Not really. It fits your theory." Sam took a second package and slit it open.

"Boy's clothes?"

"Just the right size for a baby of Jamie's age." She reached in and pushed some of them aside. "And diapers."

"This mother really knew what she was about." Jarod's mouth narrowed. "If they’d had insurance, I would have suspected a scam of some sort, but they don't."

Sam handed him the third package - a thin, rectangular parcel.

"So shall we guess what's in this before I open it?" the doctor proposed.

"What do you suspect?"

"Necessary paperwork. Birth certificates and the like." He looked up. "The things I've been trying to find since I finished putting the cast on her leg and couldn't."

He opened the parcel and eased out the folder, opening it to reveal the birth certificates and then looked up at her. "Gee, maybe I'm psychic too."

"Don't even suggest it." She rolled her eyes before looking at him again. "Anything else?"

"Filled out adoption papers, medical history of both kids, location of two bank accounts that seem to have been set up to support the kids and which are under their names not those of their parents, forms so that my signature can be used to access the funds," he turned to the last page. "And a letter."

"From?"

"Do you need to ask?"

"So read it."

"'Dear Dr. Jarod Kind'," he looked up. "Positive start."

"Get on with it, Jarod," she prompted impatiently.

"'You don't know us but we know a thing or two about you and are well aware that we can trust you. For this reason, we are leaving you the care and custody of our two children. This bundle of paperwork and the other two parcels will provide you with what you need to take care of them for the short-term and we are relying on your generosity for them, long-term. Knowing what we do of you, we believe that you will do all that you can for them.'"

He stopped and looked up at the other occupant of the office. "I'm sorry but this is just creepy."

"I agree." Sam looked serious. "They're basically throwing their children on to you, with no certainty that you'll even take care of them." She looked up at him closely. "You will though, won't you?"

"How could I not?" Jarod glanced at her. "Especially considering the way that Bronwyn is around me."

"And I think that, despite what she said about only women in the family having the 'room' in their heads, Jamie knew something about you, too."

Jarod shrugged. "It could be possible. He certainly didn't seem scared to see me when he woke up." He glanced down and then up again, his mouth open.

"What? What is it?"

"'Bronwyn is already well aware of who you are and is looking forward to seeing you. We have done our best to give Jamie some knowledge of you as well, so that he can get used to you being around instead of us.'"

"Okay, that's just too unreal!" Sam got out of the chair and began to pace his office. Glancing over, she saw a twinkle in Jarod's eye. "What?"

"'Despite the shock that it will be to her, we hope that Dr. Samantha Childs will also be willing to help you with the children when you require it and, for this reason, we have encouraged them both to be aware of her also.'" Jarod glanced up. "And you were trying to get out of it? You're in just as deep as me."

"No way..." She dropped back into the seat and stared at him.

"'The only reason that we have not given you joint custody of the children is that Samantha's occupation is likely to make her less able to spend time with them.'"

He eyed her and she grinned faintly. "I get the sneaky suspicion that they're trying to play Cupid at the same time."

"Don't even go there." Jarod grinned. "I'm getting two kids. I don't even want to start thinking about a wife as well." He laughed. "But you're welcome to visit..."

"Thanks." She looked up. "Is that it?"

"A nice farewell and a wish that we make sure the kids grow up knowing that their parents loved them." He fell silent and swallowed. "The ink of the last words has run, as though something dropped on them."

"Tears?"

"They've just given up their kids. Could you get through a letter like that without breaking down? I don't think I could."

The phone rang, startling both occupants, and Jarod turned on the speaker.

"Jarod Kind."

"Dr. Kind? This is Children's Ward, Helen Daley speaking."

"Yes, Helen. What can I do for you?"

"Bronwyn asked if you were going to come up and see her before you left."

"I certainly had every intention of it."

"And she asked if you could bring a bear that she said you just got. I'm not too clear on that part, actually."

"That's okay." Jarod put one hand into the parcel and pulled out the stuffed toy, looking down at it. "I understand."

"Good. We'll see you soon then."

He disconnected the call and glanced over at Sam. "I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with a girl who's that good."

"You'd better get ready to deal with it, Jarod." She stood up. "Those two small orphaned children are depending on you." Silently she walked through the door and shut it behind her.

* * * *


"Jarod?"

Bronwyn’s voice was sleepy as she looked up at him through drowsy eyes and he put the bear into her arms.

"Here, sweetheart."

"Thanks." She snuggled down in the bed and then looked up at him again. "Will you stay till I'm asleep?"

"Sure." He sat down in the chair beside the bed and then reached over to cover her properly as she lay facing him.

"Jarod?"

"Yes?"

"You are going to take care of us, like Mommy promised, aren't you?"

He bent down and gently kissed her. "Of course I am."

"Mommy said that now, when we were with you, the Centre would never find you so that we'd be safe." Her eyes slipped shut as she finished the sentence and he was left staring at the small girl in amazement.

* * * *

"This is Sydney."

"Can you do me a favour?"

"Jarod?"

"Who else would it be, Sydney?" Jarod's voice contained a hint of frustration as he watched the baby boy sleep.

"It's just...you've never asked me that before."

"Well, I'm asking now."

"Only if you return it, Jarod."

"And how could I do that, Miss Parker?"

"You come back here, we'll do your favour."

He laughed softly. "Keep dreaming." Jarod leaned forward. "Sydney, in return for the things I've given you, I want you to do this for me."

"Tell me what it is."

"I want you to find out if a couple named Taylor ever had connections with the Centre. And if they knew about me."

"Taylor?" He could hear the surprise in Miss Parker's tones. "Why would they...?"

"They just might." Jarod laughed softly. "And, as you aren't going to find any leads on me for a while, I figured you could use your time productively." He disconnected the call, still chuckling.

As the little boy began to cry softly, Jarod slipped the phone into his pocket and walked over to the small bed, picking him up and holding the baby close to his chest.

"Okay, Jamie. I'm here."

He patted the small back and felt the child relax immediately, the sounds ceasing as the infant slept again. Jarod walked over to the window, and stared down at the city that was spread out below him. He liked bigger cities; they always gave him a greater feeling of anonymity. However, he couldn't help but feel convinced by Bronwyn's statement. His daughter's statement, he reflected with a faint grin. It seemed amazing that twenty-four hours could present him with all this. In fact it was even less. Jarod glanced at his watch. Less than twelve hours had passed since he had received the call to go to the emergency room.

"Dr. Kind? Are you planning to stay all night?"

He turned to see the nurse in the doorway. "No, Helen, I wasn't." Gently, Jarod placed the small boy back in the bed and walked over to the door.

"Did I understand right in briefing - these kids are yours?"

Jarod chuckled softly. "Well, they weren't this morning, but apparently so." He could feel the amazed eyes of the nurse on his back as he headed down the hall to the elevators.

* * * *


Jarod paced the length of the small hotel room, his eyes unfocused, his mind thinking only of the two children in the nearby hospital. It was already early morning – he would have to go back on duty again in only a few hours – but he had been unable to rest, torn about the decision that was confronting him.

The thought of adopting children was disquieting. His own perceived insufficiency as a father was balanced by the kind of life the Centre was forcing him to live. He couldn’t possibly uproot the children whenever the Centre loomed, and yet the thought of remaining in one place and leaving himself so open to capture was terrifying.

Without realizing, he pulled on his jacket and slipped his feet into his shoes before pocketing his wallet, keys and hospital ID. Ignoring his car, he strolled down the street, the puddles from the previous day’s rain reflecting the pink of the sky as the sun rose, and the scent of wet pavements filled his nostrils.

A tall gray building stood almost next to the hospital. This was the city’s Home for Orphaned and Deserted Children, and Jarod stopped to peer in through the tall gates at the bare asphalt playground inside. No lights illuminated the numerous levels, and the whole place had an atmosphere about it so similar to the Centre that Jarod found it hard to stop himself from shuddering.

Only a few paces away, the hospital was already partly lit up, cleaners, the kitchen and the night shift still hard at work. Entering, Jarod made his way into the building, showing the pass he had been given when he had come to stop an insurance scam that had been being perpetrated by one of the doctors. Somehow, he found himself heading for the children’s ward. Helen was sitting at the central desk and looked up when he came out of the stairwell, her expression immediately concerned.

"Did somebody call you?"

"No," he assured her softly. "It’s okay."

She nodded, somewhat uncertainly, and he could feel her eyes on him as he quietly let himself into the room in which Bronwyn lay, her uninjured leg tangled in the covers. Gently smoothing her hair, he lightly kissed her forehead, seeing a slight line disappear as he straightened up. Delicately straightening the covers, he pulled them up over her and saw her snuggle under them without waking. Picking up the folder that hung on the end of the bed, he opened it to check the temperature and pulse figures.

When they proved to be satisfactory, he slipped out and headed into the other room and leaned over the bed, seeing that Jamie was awake and staring at the ceiling. The boy pulled himself up using the bars and held out his arms, his hands opening and closing, revealing his desire for a cuddle. Smiling, Jarod swung the boy up into his arms and sat on a rocking chair beside the window. With the room in darkness, the rising sun was clearly visible over the city, and the first cars were driving the streets, heading for work. Jamie’s little arms curled around his neck and his head came to rest on Jarod's chest, snuggling against the man.

Jarod looked down to see the boy’s eyes were closed, his expression peaceful. A distant ringing made him look up again to see lights go on in the Home next door. Jarod found suddenly that his arms had tightened around the boy on his lap. The thought of subjecting either of these children, who had been given into his care, to the regimented lifestyle that was starting a new day before his eyes as he saw the doors open and residents march, rather than run, into the grassless yard for exercises, was horrifying and, he realized suddenly, impossible. Jamie squawked in his arms, the baby’s brown eyes opening in surprise, as Jarod tightened his grasp briefly, before realizing what he had done and releasing his hold.

Instantly forgiving, Jamie tugged on Jarod's tie, pulling it loose until the man removed it from around his neck to let the boy play with it. Smiling, he looked down into the boy’s eager expression as Jamie beamed up at him and giggled as Jarod gently tickled his tummy. The obvious trust in the child’s eyes only emphasized the decision he had already made – the children were his and nothing, now, would change that.

When Helen appeared with Jamie’s breakfast, Jarod handed the boy over and headed into the other bedroom, where he could see that Bronwyn had already finished eating and was busy drawing.

"What's that, Bronwyn?" He looked down at the picture she was now holding up to him.

"It's our house, where we're going to live now."

"Oh, really?" He raised an eyebrow. "And where is it?"


"Close by, so that Sam can come to stay and you can keep working here."

"And who says I'm...?" He glanced over his shoulder to make sure the door was still closed.

"Mommy said that, when we were together, you'd stop doing all different jobs and stay here so that you could look after us."

Jarod smiled and moved over to sit on the bed. "Your mommy was very clever."

The girl looked up at him and then threw her arms around his neck. "So you will? You promise? 'Cos Mommy said you'd have to think about it."

"I did think about it. I thought about it last night."

She grinned and touched the dark circles under his eyes, the result of his night of deep thought and furious pacing. "You look like you were awake all night. Mommy and Daddy looked like that, too, before the crash."

He wrapped his arms around her, his face becoming a little sad as he thought about what those parents must have suffered. "I bet they did."

* * * *


Jarod slipped in behind the wheel of his car and sat thoughtfully staring through the windscreen for several moments before starting the engine. He steered the vehicle out of the parking lot and turned to head for the hotel where he'd been staying to complete the pretend that had necessitated his work at the hospital and for which, he reflected thankfully, he had received no publicity at all.

Turning several corners, he stopped at a red light and then glanced up, his mind taking in the 'For Sale' sign that pointed down a nearby street. Something, instinct, made him turn down it as the light changed and he pulled up in front of a small cottage. Reaching into his bag, he pulled out the drawing that the little girl had insisted he take so that he would know the house when he saw it. Well, he had seen it and now he knew it. Looking up in time to see somebody come out of the front door, Jarod got out of his car and walked over.

"Can I help you, sir?"

"Are you the estate agent?"

"Yes, I am." The man glanced over his shoulder at the house. "Are you interested in looking at the property?"

"Do you have time to show me now?"

"Of course."

He walked through the four-bedroom property, looking carefully at all of the rooms on the two levels. It was a delightful house, snug and cozy with, and this was the thing he couldn't believe when he caught himself doing it, a nice wide staircase, no sharp corners and no other dangerous places that a young child could fall and get injured.

"Can you tell me about this house?"

"Certainly, sir. It's a deceased estate, formerly the property of an elderly couple who were quite well known around this area. The couple had two grandchildren of four and almost two who used to stay with them a lot, which is the reason that the cot and changing table are there."

"Does the property come with those?"

"It's to be sold as it is now, yes. Fully furnished."

"And… has there been much interest?"

"None at all, Dr. Kind. In fact, the family was considering removing it from the market at the end of the day."

Jarod shook his head, not quite believing what he was going to say next. "So what sort of price are you looking at for it?"

* * * *


Jarod pushed the sheet of paper in front of the women as he arrived in the room for the briefing session the next morning.

"What's this?"

He grinned. "Kind family residence."

Sam stared at him. "What?"

"Well, I thought you should know where it was so that you could come and visit."

"Jarod, what on earth...?"

He grinned and opened the folder that he was carrying, pulling out a sheet of paper, handing it to Ruth. "Bronwyn drew this for me yesterday."

As they examined the drawing, he pulled out a photo.

"And that's the house."

"Unbelievable."

"Considering I hadn't even seen the house before I got that, I'd say it's more than just unbelievable."

"And you bought it?"

"Hey, what can I say?" He shrugged. "My daughter's very convincing."

* * * *

He stopped in the doorway to find that she was still asleep and glanced at Ruth with a smile on his face. "How's she doing?"

"Both your kids are doing really well." She smiled. "There's not really any reason to keep them here. You could care for them fine yourself."

Jarod glanced at the empty beds that constituted the Children's Ward. "I should take advantage of the fact that it's so quiet to start getting everything ready."

"I can't believe you bought the house."

"You can't believe it? I'm still trying to cope with the idea."

She laughed softly. "Well, at least you won't have to tell her."

He grinned and then walked over as the small girl yawned and opened her eyes, meeting his gaze. Sitting on the edge of the bed, he bent down to kiss her cheek.

"Hi, sweetie."

"You got it, didn't you?"

She held out her arms and he picked her up, wrapping her in a blanket as she snuggled close to him.

"Of course I got it. I had to." He smiled down at her. "You told me to, remember?"

"So when are we going there?"

"I need to finish a couple of things there first, Bronwyn, like buy some food and make the beds so that my girl and boy have somewhere warm to sleep."

She looked up at him. "And did you tell Sam and Ruth where it was?"

"Of course I did. I'm going to take them with me tonight so that they can see it."

* * * *


"Is that it?"

"You don't recognize it?" Jarod glanced over at her. "I thought you would have, from the picture."

"Actually, I do. I just wanted to hear you say it."

He grinned and walked over, opening the door and ushering the two women inside. "Welcome to," Jarod shook his head in amazement, "our home."

"It's great that he's so convinced," Sam laughed at Ruth as she walked in and looked around.


"So, what do you think?"

"Tell me how much it cost again."

He repeated the figure that he'd paid for it and her eyes widened. "Deal of the century."

"You're telling me, especially considering that the television and other electrical appliances were only bought new last year."

"And all the furniture and all the fixtures are now yours too?"

"They came with the house, yes."

* * * *


Sam ran a hand over the bed and pressed the springs before looking up at Jarod who stood in the doorway. Before she could speak, however, he jumped in.

"So which room do you want?"

"Excuse me?"


"Hey, they're half your kids too, remember, unofficially anyway. It might be nice if they could see you now and then."

She smiled. "Would you object if I said this one?"

"Not at all. I liked the other one better anyway." He grinned as he watched her go into her en suite briefly and then open the door of the closet. "Planning where your clothes are going already?"

"Something like that."

She followed him into the next room, in which was a small bed, the perfect height for a small girl, and a large doll's house.

"Don't tell me that that..."

"No, it didn't." Jarod grinned. "I saw it yesterday and couldn't resist."

"What are you, made of money?"

"I have a fairly available source of funds, yes." He hid a smile and led the way into the other bedroom, in which was a cot, changing table and rocking chair.

"Was all this here?"

"The furniture was. I put his clothes from that package into the drawers, as well as a few other bits and pieces that I bought yesterday."

"Those kids are going to be spoilt rotten."

"They deserve it."

She smiled over at him. "You know, I think they probably do."

* * * *


Jarod glanced around the room that was now his, taking in the newly purchased bed linen and various small items that sat on his shelves, including a collection of books. With a shake of his head, he stood and opened the closet, looking at the clothes that hung there. It really was his house. And, this being the most bizarre feeling, it was probably one of few times that he would be alone in it. Five days and he had two kids, a house and what seemed like a settled occupation. His life had seemed weird before but this was just beyond anything. Gently he reached over and picked up the two photos that sat on his shelf. He had found the pictures in the package with the other papers and had framed them because he couldn't think what else to do with them.
Going down the wide staircase, he looked at the open-plan room that constituted the lower level. Kitchen, living room and dining room all seemed to merge neatly together, giving the small house an appearance of being much larger. A flight of stairs hidden behind a door led down to the cellar that contained the brand new washing machine and dryer that the house had come with.

Jarod eased open the refrigerator and looked down at the stocked shelves, reaching over to do the same thing with the nearby larder. One shelf was dedicated to the baby food that he would need for the boy. His son, he reflected with a slight smile. That feeling still seemed strange but he hoped that, once they were settled in, he would feel more comfortable with the idea. Going out of the house, he locked the door and slipped the key into his pocket. Jarod glanced into the back seat of his car where the baby seat and child booster seat were waiting and then climbed in behind the wheel to go and get his family.

* * * *


He scribbled his signature on the second form and looked up as Sam appeared in the doorway.

"Getting ready to take the kids home?"

"Our kids?" He grinned at the look on her face. "Yes."

"Can you not?"

"Hey, I've only just gotten used to the idea myself. It makes it a little easier to know that the responsibility isn't all mine." Jarod capped the pen and put it into the holder on his desk, glancing down at the papers to make sure that he'd done everything.

"Then give me time to get used to it, too," she pleaded.

He stood up and walked around the desk, leaning against the edge of it with his arms folded. "Well, don't take too long, Sam. Those kids don't just need a male figure in their lives. Especially not somebody like me, who's going to be doing this whole thing blindfolded."

"You'll do fine, Jarod, or they wouldn't have left them to you."

"I could still do with any help or advice you feel like throwing my way, particularly at home."

She smiled. "Give me time to get used to it too, and then I'll do what I can - but, if it makes you feel any better, I was planning to spend the night there tonight."

He reached into his pocket and then picked up her hand, uncurling the slender fingers and placing something in the middle of the palm.

"And this is?"

"Key to the door." Jarod grinned. "I figured that, if you were late, you wouldn't need to wake the kids by knocking."

* * * *


Jarod watched as Ruth put her signature on the relevant line and then stamped the forms and put them into the folders.

"So, that's it."

She looked up to see Jarod staring blankly at a point on the floor and laughed, waving a hand in front of his face. "If you don't get moving, it'll be dark before you get those kids home."

"Please, Ruth." He looked up at her. "I'm still trying to come to terms with it."

"Jarod, you'll be fine. With everything this mother knew, it's obvious that you'll be okay. After all, you've been around kids before, right?"

"Temporarily, yes. But never long-term."

"Hey, they already adore you, so that's one difficult step completed."

The two of them walked into the infant's room and Ruth laughed again as Jamie held out his arms the moment he saw Jarod in the doorway.

"What did I tell you?"

He picked up the baby with a sheepish grin and then slipped him into the carrying pack, putting it on his back. Jarod could feel as the baby nestled into the soft material, then put his head down and seemingly went to sleep.

"Is he...?"


"Out like a light." She gently touched Jarod's arm. "You see? The biggest hurdle with any non-biological relationship has already been overcome. They both trust you implicitly. Now you've just got to get used to the idea yourself, and get some confidence in your abilities."

Jarod walked into Bronwyn's room and put a finger to his lips as she looked up and saw him.

"Is Jamie asleep?"

"He sure is." He walked over and picked her up. "Are you ready to go?"

"Uh huh." She nodded vigorously and threw her arms around his neck. "And when we get home..."

"Hey, let's get there first and then we can start making plans, okay?" He turned towards the door, waiting while the girl said goodbye to Ruth.

"You'll come and see us, won't you?"

The nurse smiled. "Of course I will. But you have to get used to being home, too."

"That's easy." The girl looked confidently up out of the man's arms. "I already know what that's going to be like."

"And what will it be like, Bronwyn?"

"Good." She snuggled closer to Jarod. "Really good."

Ruth raised her eyebrows as she looked up at Jarod. "Well, I'll come by in a few days and see how things are going."

"You do that."

"Will you be in tomorrow?"

"I'm changing to a 'call-in' basis, for the next while anyway."

"Sounds good." She looked up. "Good luck, Jarod."

"Thanks." He smiled at her and turned, walking down the hall.

* * * *


He opened the front door and walked inside, shutting it behind him as he carried Bronwyn over and put her down on the sofa. She looked around with a happy sigh.

"It really looks like it."


Jarod eased the straps off his shoulders and then took the sleepy baby out of the carry bag, cuddling him close.

"What do you mean, Bronwyn? You said that you saw it."

"I did." She looked up at him. "But sometimes I get mixed up with other things that I make up." The girl looked around again. "But this is just right."

He knelt in front of her. "Did Mommy mix things up too?"

"No." She shook her head. "She was always right."

Jarod nodded, comforted, and then looked down at her. "I'm going to put Jamie into bed. Want to come up and see your room?"

"Yup!" Bronwyn got off the sofa and made her way across the room but stopped at the stairs. "Are you going to carry me?"

"Let's see if you can do it yourself." Jarod knew the greenstick fracture in her leg had almost healed and he glanced down at the boy. "My arms are kind of full."

"Maybe I can help."

"Sam!" The little girl turned to see the woman standing in the doorway and she beamed. "I knew you'd come."

"And I'm glad you did," Jarod grinned at her. "Otherwise I'd have to grow another pair of hands."