Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Total Recall
Part 10 – Winning The Game


"Mom, Dad is coming home tonight, isn't he?"

Jennifer turned from the stovetop and smiled at her son. "Has he ever broken a promise to you before?"

"Well, no."

"So what makes you think he would do it today? After all, your first birthday as a teenager is an important event. He wouldn't miss it for the world. If I know your father..."

"You ought to after all this time," interjected her son with a grin that, right down to the dimples on both cheeks, was the mirror of his father's and also that of the young man who sat at the kitchen table, watching the scene in amusement.

"Then he wouldn't miss it for the world, would he?" She ruffled her son's hair and, when he tried to duck out from under her hand, tickled him until he gasped for air.

"Mercy, mercy. You win."

She let him go and he shot over to the other side of the room, peering out from behind James with a curious expression on his face. "What are you cooking?"

"What do I always cook on your birthday?"

"Pasta?"

"Well, naturally," Jennifer laughed. As she turned back to the stove, a sound was heard from the next room.

"That's Sydney!" Kyle made a leap for the door. "Should I get him up?"

"See if he'll go back to sleep first and try not to wake Jacob in the process." The crying of a healthy three-year old continued for several seconds before there was silence. Jennifer, glancing over her shoulder, saw her ten-year-old daughter in the doorway and exchanged amused glances with James.

"Don't I look pretty, Mommy?"

"Very pretty," agreed Jennifer. "But what did I say about wearing that dress?"

"On special occasions?"

"Try again."

The girl sighed. "When we're going out."

"And are we going out?"

"No, Mommy."

"So take it off and put on the clothes that I put out for you, please."

"I told Emily that she wouldn't be allowed to wear that dress."

Jennifer grinned at her son as he re-entered the room. "Smarty," she teased and watched as the boy laughed. With a final stir, she turned off the gas and put the lid on the pot. "Okay, everything's ready. Did you bring in the chickens?"

"Yes, Mom."

As he spoke, Jennifer saw headlights sweeping through the darkness as the car drove up the driveway, and then came to a stop. Before Jarod could get out, his son was climbing all over him. The other occupants all got out, laughing, and entered the house.

"Jennifer, it's wonderful to see you. How are you?"

The younger woman wiped her hands on the apron she wore and returned the kiss that her mother-in-law gave her. "I'm very well, thank you Margaret. I hope the journey was pleasant? Jarod didn't drive too badly?"

The conversation continued as Margaret and Emily, who had followed her mother in, began to set the table that James and Major Charles carefully extended to fit the extra guests. Jarod came in and handed Jennifer a large bunch of roses.

"Did you miss me?"

"Oh, goodness no. You know that we make a point of never missing you, unless we have to. Did you miss us?"

"Oh, once in a while, I suppose."

The Major came up to the couple in time to hear that statement. "Oh, come on, son," he teased. "You were saying in the car that you couldn't wait to get home."

Jennifer's eyebrows went up and she laughed. "So, you did miss us."

Jarod tried to glare at his father but couldn't and laughed instead. "Guilty. I did. And you're sure you didn't miss me? Not even the tiniest little bit?" Jarod slipped his arms around her waist and softly kissed the back of her neck.

His wife was about to respond when she heard gagging noises behind her and turned to see her older son and daughter with their fingers in their mouths, pretending to be sick. Jarod growled in his throat and laughingly chased them upstairs.

Jennifer laughed as well and then looked up as another car could be heard in the driveway. "Sydney and Broots?"

"I hope so. I understand from what Jarod said that they were coming, depending on work, of course."

James looked up, curious. "Is Sydney still working? I thought he'd retired."

Jennifer laughed. "He helps with therapy and flutters around the place. But yes, officially he retired after Jarod was shot."

"We heard about that retirement," her father-in-law smiled.

"And Miss Parker's still trying to find Jarod?"

Jennifer turned around so that her back was to the stove and shrugged. "That's something I've never been able to understand. Perhaps she thinks he still knows more about her family than he's telling her. I'm not sure."

"Why not ask her?"

"The last time I spoke, we didn't really get on. I'm not sure that she'll ever forgive me for having her held at the hospital. Even Sam forgave me for that."

"How was he?"

"Afterwards? Pretty good, actually. He didn't even have a headache, which is more than what we did. Of course that was nothing compared to the headache that the Centre had while trying to remove my virus. I still say that it was the cause of the place, to all intents and purposes, being closed down."

Jennifer looked up at the door as it opened to reveal the last visitors and then smiled, moving across to greet them.

"Sydney, Broots, how lovely. I'm so glad you could come."

"Well, having been to all the other birthdays, I couldn't really miss this one, could I?" Sydney smiled as he kissed Jennifer on the cheek. "How are you?"

"Very well. Emily's been waiting for you to come..."

"...but she had to change her dress!" The boy ran over and hugged Sydney while Broots moved to greet Jennifer. She was about to make a comment when she looked again at the doorway.

"Kyle!"

He looked up sharply, recognizing the tone in her voice. "Yes, Mom?"

"Come here!"

The boy moved over and she waved at him to stand behind her before she spoke again. "Miss Parker, it's been a long time."

"It...it has."

Jarod entered the room at this point and Jennifer looked briefly at him, raising her eyebrows, and he nodded slightly. However before she could say anything, the other woman spoke.

"I...Jarod suggested I come."

"Really..."

Jennifer looked at Jarod again, for a little longer this time, as a feeling of futility welled up in her. For so many years they had managed to avoid this moment but now it had come. She looked at the woman again and was surprised to see that she carried no gun. Not that it mattered. There was, no doubt, a helicopter full of sweepers heading their way at that moment, having been kept expressly for this occasion. Sydney and Broots, too, were silent until the woman spoke again.

"Jennifer, I...I'm not going to, I mean, I don't want to...I won't..."

Sydney stepped forward and placed a hand on Miss Parker's shoulder. "She isn't here as a Centre operative, Jennifer, but as a friend. She was in my office when Jarod called to let me know what time to come, and I thought it might be nice if she came along."

Parker found her voice. "Believe me, I really don't want to...ruin this. I..."

"I need to know that my children are safe." Jennifer's voice did not sound as hard as she had thought it would.

"They are. Believe me, they really are. I just wanted to...see how things were going."

Jennifer looked at her for a long minute. Miss Parker was staring at the floor and Broots' expression begged her to believe his colleague. Jennifer let out the breath that she had been holding and the tension in the room broke at the same moment. Sydney pulled out a chair for Miss Parker at the table as he and Broots sat down.

"Kyle, you can go into my room now, if you like."

The smile in Jennifer's voice was reflected in the face of her son as he grabbed James' hand and pulled the laughing young man out of the room.

Sydney leaned over the table to where Miss Parker was standing. "Jennifer always puts the main present in her room until we arrive and then the birthday child can go and find it."

"And you've been to every birthday?"

"Four times a year for the children's birthdays and Christmas."

"Four?" Miss Parker looked around to where a young girl had sidled in.

Jennifer laughed and turned to her daughter. "Sweetie, go and get the twins."

Sydney glanced up as the girl left the room. "Michelle and Nicholas send their regrets. They couldn't make it this year."

"Kyle will be disappointed. He and Nicholas get on well."

"Nick said he'd make an effort to try and come down at some later date."

Margaret and Emily were still standing, although Major Charles had sat beside Sydney and the two of them had begun to talk. Miss Parker turned to them and the unsure way in which she spoke was a comic contrast to her usual style.

"I...I'm sorry."

"Are you, Miss Parker? After everything that my family has had to go through for all these years because of the fear caused by you and that team of yours, all you can say is 'I'm sorry.' Do you have any possible idea what it's like, going through life wondering if you're just around the next corner, waiting to grab us at the first opportunity. I can't help wondering when the sweepers are going to burst through the door and drag us all away."

Jennifer started at hearing her thoughts echoed as Jarod got up and put his hands on his mother's shoulders, leading her gently out of the room. Emily followed them.

"Parker, sit down." Sydney nodded at the chair and the other woman sank slowly into it. "I'm sorry. She's still a little..."

"Tense?" Broots suggested before a look from Sydney made him shut his mouth.

"I can understand it. I mean, if I'd spent all my life running from me, I don't think I'd want to see me either, even more."

Jennifer suppressed a smile at the absurd remark and was about to comment when a sound brought Major Charles to his feet. "Be right back."

"Where's he going?" Miss Parker's tones revealed her thankfulness at a change of topic.

"To help Emily with my babies. I don't not sure if Sydney would have told you about the newest arrivals, three years ago.

"Sydney hasn't told me anything, which was probably the right thing to do."

"Are you so determined to take us back? Even now?" Jennifer voice was soft. "I mean, with Raines, Lyle, Brigitte and the others out of the way, what on earth is your incentive? Even your father can hardly keep his end of the deal from Africa."

Miss Parker looked startled. "How did you know he went?"

"Oh, I keep an eye and an ear on everything to do with the Centre. It was a form of security in the past and now it's a habit. Until Raines' death, he was the one we all had most to fear from. Even he must have realized the link between me and that virus."

"You? You mean...?"

Jennifer slammed her fist on the table in annoyance as she got up. "I thought you would have realized. Yes, I put it into the system. Who did you think?"

"Well...Jarod. He seemed like the most obvious suspect. Even after the shooting, I thought he must have infected the system before. It never occurred to me that you would have..."

"Well...I did." Jennifer sighed heavily. "I couldn't help myself, and one day, when you called Sydney at the hospital, I realized what Jarod would have wanted if he hadn't woken up. So I did it."

Emily reappeared at this point, being pulled into the room by her namesake. The little girl ran to Sydney and scrambled up into his lap. "I didn't get my hug."

"It's not your birthday, gorgeous," responded Sydney with a smile as he kissed the top of her head. "You'll have to wait for that." He began to tickle her and she slid off his lap amid peals of laughter. Running to her mother, Emily tried to hide behind her.

"You'll have to do better than that." Jennifer swung her daughter up in her arms and dropped her into a chair at the table. "Where's Kyle?"

"He's showing Daddy his present. He got dragged all the way up the stairs by his tie, Kyle was so excited."

"What's he getting?" Broots smiled at Emily as he asked the question.

"I don't know. I don't get to see until he shows me. But I know it's something very special. I mean, Mom's been telling us for ages what an important birthday the thirteenth one is."

"And you're not going up there until he asks you to, understand?"

"Yes, Mommy."

"Oh, man!" An excited thirteen-year-old burst into the room, followed by the two identical men, and threw his arms around his mother. "How did you know that I wanted a stereo?"

"I guessed. And I suppose," Jennifer continued with a smile, "that you'll want some music to play in it, won't you?" She reached into her pocket and pulled out the two objects that she had slipped in there several minutes earlier.

"Oh, wow!" Kyle gasped, taking them from her almost reverently. "Come on, Em, I'll show you. Dad set it up in my room."

"Kyle." The boy looked at his father. "Remember what I said about the volume, please. We want to be able to hear ourselves think out here."

"Yes, Dad." The two ran off and Jarod grinned before sitting down in the chair that his daughter had vacated and looking up at his wife. "Mom and Dad will be down soon with the other two. They needed changing."

"Good. We'll want to eat soon or it will get cold."

~~~~~

After dinner, the adults moved into the living room. The older children were in Kyle's room, using the new stereo and the twins were close to going to bed. Miss Parker held little Jacob in her arms and gently rocked him.

"You're good at that."

"I had a lot of practice with Robert."

"How is your brother? He's a year older than Kyle, isn't he?" Margaret inquired politely. She had gradually become used to the idea of Miss Parker's attendance and, although she wasn't as friendly and warm as she was to the others, she could at least now be civil.

"He's growing up fast. He started at boarding school last month and he's doing well and really enjoying it."

"Is he as independent as you were at that age?"

"More so, if that's possible."

Sydney smiled at the remark but didn't comment.

"Have you heard from your father?" Jarod's question sounded off-hand but his wife could hear the underlying meaning in it. She understood, feeling the same concern herself.

"He wrote a few years ago, to tell me she was still alive and possibly pregnant again, but that was all. I don't think he's actually allowed to write any more than that. Mutumbo won't let him. It was part of the deal, trading freedom for a life as a slave, just to be close to her. They don't get time alone so I don't really see what good it did him, but it did give him protection against Raines' anger, and after betraying the Centre to the CIA, he needed all the protection he could get." Jennifer tried to hide the smile on her face but Jarod noticed it and raised one eyebrow in an unspoken question. She nodded, knowing that he was well aware that it hadn't been Mr Parker who had betrayed the Centre to the CIA and she wondered if he would comment. The child in her arms spoke first.

"Momma, I want to go to bed."

"Okay, sweetie." Jennifer smiled down at the little boy. Miss Parker glanced at the mother as she got to her feet, the boy nestling into her neck.

"Should I come too?"

"Sure."

"He speaks well." Miss Parker commented as they climbed the stairs to the upper level of the house.

"Considering who his father is, I don't think that's such a surprise. Margaret said that Jarod spoke earlier than most other children. Kyle and Emily both did too. In fact, they did most things earlier."

Jennifer entered the room, still wondering in the very darkest part of her mind if Parker was planning to use the occasion when they were alone to take a little revenge for the past. She was still undecided when they left the room and began to descend the stairs. Suddenly the redhead stopped and turned to look at the other woman.

"Parker, I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Everything. But mostly for having held you at the hospital when Jarod was shot. I know that it was hard for you to take..." She trailed off.

"I can't deny that I was angry about it, but after I learnt that you arranged for Ben to look after Robert and organized everything else, I realized why. I guess it was about that time that I forgave you for it. And," she smiled, "it's easier to work for the Centre now than it was then."

Jennifer leaned against the banister railing. "I find it incredible that you still work there. I mean, I organized a nice retirement package and everything, so that it would be possible for you to leave."

Miss Parker stopped on the step. "I thought about it, I really did. But I had this fear, for the first few years, that if I left they would come for me, like they did..."

"...with your mother."

She nodded silently. "It's always haunted me that I could end up in the same situation. I had nightmares about it for years. And then," she abruptly changed the subject, "I got interested in what I was doing and so I stayed."

"Why are you still looking for him?" Jennifer's voice was soft, as if afraid of the storm the question might incite. "I mean if you want to ask anything, all you've got to do is call. What is it incentive, after all these years?"

Miss Parker looked a little sheepish. "Habit."

"Habit?"

"I guess so. I know it sounds strange but I'd been looking for him for so long that it seemed impossible that it could be unnecessary. Of course, it is now."

"So, you'll stop?"

"I...I guess I will."

Jennifer let out a sigh of relief. "You've got no idea how good it is to hear that."

"I can guess. It wasn't not only when a person was being chased by the Centre that they felt hunted."

Jennifer and Miss Parker looked at each other for several seconds, considering what had been said, before they both began to laugh. They were still giggling as they re-entered the room where the others sat.

~~~~~

Jennifer climbed into bed with a sigh of relief. The guests hadn't left until late and, having to cope with four children as well as prepare the house for the visitors, she was exhausted. Sleep, though, was impossible with so many thoughts in her mind. When Jarod got into bed beside her, she rolled over and propped her head up on one arm.

"So, how does it feel?"

He looked at her with a bemused expression. "I know you don't like this word, but 'huh'?"

"How does it feel not to be hunted anymore?"

He shook his head and put the back of his hand to her forehead. She pulled out from his touch impatiently and then began to giggle again.

"I'm sorry. I forgot that you didn't hear that conversation." She repeated the main points of it for him, by which time he was lying on his back with his hands tucked behind his head. After a pause Jennifer spoke again. "Well?"

"I don't know. I'll need some time to get used to it." His glance met hers. "Do you believe her?"

"Actually, yes. She's never lied to me, so I don't see any reason not to. Come to think of it, I don't think she's ever lied to you either."

"No, that's true." The words came out slowly, almost unwillingly. She lowered herself until she was lying on his chest.

"Let's change the subject. How long are you home for?"

"Not sure, exactly. A couple of days, anyway." He wrapped both arms around her and held her close. "I really missed you, did you know that?"

"I missed you, too."

"Dad had this great idea. He and Mom volunteered to baby-sit the kids for a few weeks and I was thinking maybe we could finally have that honeymoon we always talked about."

Jennifer lifted herself and looked at him. A smile spread across his face and one hand came up to gently stroke her cheek. "Well?"

"Where?"

"Wherever you want. I'm happy anywhere, as long as it's with you."

"Oh, Jarod." She lowered herself again but, as she ran her hand down his chest, the smile vanished from her face.

"What?" Jarod's voice was full of concern at her continued silence. "What is it?"

Jennifer broke out of the reverie and tried to smile. "I'm sorry. I was just thinking about the time before we got married."

"The hospital? I thought you were going to try not to think about that again."

"I know. And I do try. But sometimes, I can't help thinking about it."

"Hey, it all worked out, remember? I'm still here. With you."

"Thank God." The phrase was soft, but Jarod heard it and smiled.

"I guess that prayer worked after all."

"I guess it did. I'll never forget looking up and seeing you looking back at me. I nearly fainted."

"Well you certainly cried," he teased.

"As you would have. In fact, if our situations had been reversed, I think you would have cried more."

"Maybe." After a pause, Jarod spoke again. "So, where do you want to go?"



The End