Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Sleight of Hand
Part 14



Ashe, New York
"Ethan?"

Helen gently shook the young man and watched as he rolled over, looking up at her. "I'm sorry to wake you but I want you to get into the habit of eating regularly."

"Do I have to get up?"

"Not if you don't want to, but it's hard to drink lying down."

He smiled, pulling himself into a sitting position as Helen tucked pillows in behind his back. She handed him a mug and sat down on the bed beside him.

"Are the others still here?"

"For the moment, yes, although they're planning to leave soon."

"And will you stay here or do you have to go to Delaware?"

"Not yet." She smiled. "We've got a couple of days' grace before they bring your sister, Broots or Sydney in for questioning. The head of the Triumvirate wants to find out what they can do before that happens, especially regarding the mainframe."

"He's your brother, right?"

"Yes." Helen laughed softly. "I'm glad I knew that before, though, or it would have been an awful shock if you'd just told me for the first time now."

"I wouldn't have said anything if you didn't already know."

The doctor leaned back and watched the young man begin to eat breakfast. "Just how much did Catherine tell you about me?"

"Enough."

"That doesn't answer my question, Ethan."

He smiled. "She told me about when you were planning to rescue Jarod and also that you were looking after him while he was sick. She said that my sister trusted you and that I should as well."

"So, despite being the little sister of the head of the Triumvirate, you're still going to trust me?"

"Somehow I don't think that was your choice."

She laughed. "No, that's true." The doctor took away the empty plate and gently eased the extra pillows out from being the man's back. "I'm sure you won't mind if I say that I want you to sleep some more."

"Probably not." He yawned. "Will you be upstairs later?"

"If not, then I'll be down here putting washing on or in my lab. Don't just come in, though. Knock first or you might find yourself in a heap on the floor."

Ethan smiled sleepily. "I don't know if I'd complain about that."

"You might not but I would and I'd hate to think what your brother would say. He's such a bully sometimes."

# # #


Blue Cove, Delaware
"So how did the day go?"

Broots laughed. "Very peacefully and according to your plan. We received a not-at-all informative briefing about the mainframe and I've spent all day trying to get back into it – without success, of course – while Sydney was trying to remember some of Jarod's old SIM results and Miss Parker was trying to put together a list of the places that we ended up while hunting for him."

"Well, after eavesdropping on my brother's discussions all day I can tell you that, considering your reactions from 1998, they've got no intention to bring you in front of T-Board. They don't feel that it will be any use."

"Thank goodness for that. It seems your brother does have some sense after all."

Helen grinned. "I did, however, take a look at the room reservations, and it seems as though the Triumvirate has plans for a T-Board the day after tomorrow."

"Should I warn them?"

"It might be nice. You can tell them that I'll keep a very firm eye on the way things are going."

He nodded, leaning back in his chair and looking at the computer screen. "How's Ethan?"

"He's fine. He spent most of today in bed, like yesterday, but I'm expecting to see him up soon. And Debbie?"

"Quiet. I think she was missing you."

"That makes two of us."

"You were missing you?" He grinned. "I can see that being rather difficult."

"Oh, stop being facetious." She laughed. "You know what I mean."

"Yes, I do." He smiled. "I'll tell her you said hello."

"Do that. I'll see her when I'm next in Blue Cove."

# # #


Ashe, New York
Helen closed the laptop and went over to stare blankly out of the window into the garden, where the snow was beginning to melt.

"Helen?"

"Hi, Ethan." She turned with a smile. "How are you feeling?"

"Much better." He sat down in front of the fire. "Were you talking to my sister?"

"No. Broots." She returned to her seat on the sofa. "He was telling me about their first day back at work. It seems to have been easy."

"And when will you go back to Blue Cove?"

"Tomorrow night." She stared into the flames. "That will give me time to set it all up before the T-Board, just in case they do anything."

"How long will you be gone?"

"I'm not sure. Minimum of one day, but it could be longer." Helen looked up at him. "Do you mind staying here on your own or do you want to come with me and find somewhere to stay during that time?"

"She suggested I stay."

Helen's brow furrowed slightly. "Why? What else did she say would happen?"

"Nothing. She just told me to stay here and that you’d call to let me know how things were going."

Nodding, she smiled. "I'd certainly do that. The only circumstance when I might fail to contact you was if they caught me."

"What should I do if that happens?"

"Get in touch with your brother." She sat back. "Actually, I might get in touch with him now. We can start planning."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"I'm sure you understand the need for this, doctor."

"Of course."

Sydney resettled himself in his chair, concealing his amusement as he watched the needle being prepared. Feeling it enter his hand, he relaxed as the contents were injected. Gradually, his mind began to fog as chemical reactions changed the drug to a sedative and made his limbs suddenly feel like ton weights. Sydney's eyelids slowly became too heavy to keep open and he let them fall as his head sank forward. As if from a great distance he could hear a muffled, confused mass of voices and Sydney only had time for a brief reflection of gratitude for Helen's foresight before he was unconscious.

"Get a medical cart down here, immediately."

The head of the Triumvirate moved over and shook the man, unable to rouse him. A few minutes later, the door of the interrogation room opened and a dark-haired woman came in, pushing a medical trolley.

"You requested assistance, sir?"

"Find out what's wrong with him."

The man folded his arms, watching as the doctor began a rapid but thorough examination. Picking up the vial on the table, she examined it before turning to the man.

"According to the recent tests of this drug, a small number of people respond to it in this manner. There's nothing I can do except order him up to the infirmary and let him sleep it off there."

"And how long with that take?"

The doctor looked at the notes on the table, taking in the amount that had been injected. "He'll be unconscious for about four hours, but the effects will continue for the rest of today, and even part of tomorrow. The doctor will be drowsy, disoriented and have difficulty recalling things. I'd doubt, personally, if his memory will be good enough to answer your questions for several days."

"Fine. If there's nothing to be done, that's all there is to it," the man snapped, and turned away as the woman waved stretcher-bearers into the room.

# # #


"Sydney?"

Through a drugged mind, the man could hear the voice faintly speaking his name and something about it seemed to be familiar. Slowly the clouds of fog dissipated enough for him to be able to open his eyes. A dark-haired figure stood next to the bed, but his vision was too blurred to make out the woman's other features.

"It's all right, Sydney. Just relax. Everything's fine."

Blinking several times, he was finally able to focus on her face, and he gazed drowsily up into her eyes for a few moments until his mind achieved recognition.

"H… Helen?" His voice was weak but audible and she smiled.

"Very good, Sydney. I didn't know if you'd recognize me with brown hair."

"What… are you…?"

"The infirmary got an urgent call from the Triumvirate to say that someone they were questioning had had an unexpected reaction to a drugs they were using, so I took it upon myself to respond." She put a hand on his. "Get some rest and, in a few hours, I'll take you home."

"P… Parker?"
"I'm fully expecting a call about her soon. I heard from Broots as soon as you two were take down to the T-Board and that's how I'm here." She watched as he had to blink erratically in order to concentrate and smiled. "Sleep now, Sydney. Don't worry. You're quite safe and I'll take care of you."

Nodding slightly, he closed his eyes and relaxed. Helen gently settled the blanket closely around him before turning away from the bed.

# # #


"And who's going to stop me from seeing him?"

Hearing the argument on the other side of the door, Helen walked out among the group of nurses who were trying to keep the woman away from the room.

"What's going on here?" she demanded.

At the tones, Miss Parker's eyes widened, but she saw a surreptitious wink that the other woman gave her and resumed the aggressive haranguing that she had been engaged in.

"Your stupid staff won't even let me in to see him, and if you think a few years at medical school is enough to keep me..."

"I would be interested," Helen interrupted coldly, "to know how you're aware that he's down here." She waved away the group of nurses as the other woman responded angrily until they were out of hearing. Then, smiling, Helen lowered her voice.

"Sydney's fine. He's asleep right now but you can see him if you want to."

"Are you insane?" The woman stared as the doctor closed the door behind them. "I can't believe you'd come here!"

"Miss Parker, I'm here regularly. Besides, nobody can possibly recognize me with this." Tossing a long, brown curl over her shoulder, Helen laughed.

"A wig?"

"Well, I sure didn't grow it overnight." Stepping over to the bed, Helen picked up Sydney's wrist and timed his pulse. "As I thought it would be, the drug was converted into a strong sedative. He's been asleep for almost six hours, but he should wake again soon and then we'll take him home."

"How did you know they'd do it?"

"I didn't, but I can make very good guesses." She looked up. "And I guess he didn't use anything on you."

"Thankfully, your brother seems to have decided that one unexpected reaction to it was enough."

Helen rolled her eyes, and then looked down smilingly as the man slowly awoke, gazing drowsily up at her.

"Hello, Sydney. Welcome back to the world."

"Did I… Is Parker… here?"

"Yes, she is." She glanced over at the other woman, who moved to the bedside.

"Hi, Syd. I thought I'd come down and see how you were."

"Are you… okay?"

"Fine. I had a few hours of questioning, but they didn't give me anything. I've got a second session to look forward to tomorrow, but I'm free for the rest of the day."

He nodded slowly and was about to close his eyes when Helen spoke again.

"Sydney, I've arranged a vehicle to take you home in. The bed will go into it, so all you have to do is just lie there and let us take care of everything, okay?"

Nodding again, he closed his eyes and relaxed, feeling the brakes on the wheels released as the trolley begin to be wheeled down the hall. As the elevator doors opened, Miss Parker glanced up to see Broots leaning against the rear wall of the lift and she stared at him.

"How on earth…?"

"I got a call from the infirmary." He slyly grinned at Helen. "I thought I'd come and see if I could be of any help." Looking at Sydney as the elevator began to ascend, Broots’ face took on a worried expression. "Is he okay?"

"Fine. He'll be drowsy for the rest of today but he'll soon be back to normal, and I got him off work for a few days, too." She lowered her voice. "And Debbie got taken somewhere safe after school, just in case."

"Thanks." Broots put a hand on the trolley to help direct it along the corridor and through the back doors to where the ambulance was waiting. The blond driver of the vehicle helped her red-haired assistant to load the bed into the back and it was all that Broots and Miss Parker could do to keep from laughing until they were all safely behind closed doors.

"Jarod, I can't believe you'd do something like this!"

With a shrug, the man took off the red wig he was wearing and ran a hand through his hair as the woman opposite did the same with her brown locks.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time."

"And it all worked out." Helen bent over the bed as Sydney's eyes slowly opened and she smiled. "It's okay, Sydney. Everything's fine."

Broots glanced back from his seat beside the driver who, when they’d passed the security check, removed her blond wig. "I don't suppose Debbie could be with the 'driver's' parents, could she?"

"Hmm, maybe. And possibly the other ambulance officer's parents as well." The doctor smiled. "I called them and asked them to pick her up."

"So what are you all doing in Blue Cove anyway?"

"Keeping an eye on my brother and his co-workers. I've actually been inside the Centre since last night, setting up my 'position' as doctor in the infirmary." Helen laughed. "It would have been a lot harder if the mainframe was still active but, as it is, even Jarod could get a job there now." She glanced at him sternly. "Not that I'm suggesting you try it."

The vehicle pulled up in front of the house and Helen opened the doors, taking an end of the bed to help Jarod get it out. Wheeling it into the house, the two people rolled it into the bedroom and moved the sleeping man over on to the bed before taking the gurney back to the ambulance. As the two 'officers' got in, Helen slipped a note into Jarod's hand.

"That's to tell your parents that Broots and I will be there in about four hours or so to bring Debbie back to Blue Cove."

"No problem." He waved as Emily backed the ambulance down the drive and drove away. Smiling, Helen went back inside.

"Just where is Debbie?" Broots demanded as soon as she appeared.

"Charles and Margaret took her to New Jersey, where we swapped cars when I brought you back here from New York. We'll go and get her in a few hours while Miss Parker keeps an eye on Sydney."

"He's okay, isn't he?"

"Oh, yes. I told my brother that his memory would be affected by it for a few days and it would be quite plausible if it were to last for longer. That means, tragically, that they probably won't be able to ask him anything else about the projects they want details of, or your mysterious kidnapping. In reality, though, at most he'll have a few co-ordination problems for the rest of the day, but he can stay in bed so that won't be a problem. Otherwise he'll be fine."

"And whose idea was all that?"

"I told Jarod that I was going in to the Centre when they hauled you up in front of the T-Board and he suggested the rest."

"So why the hair?"

"Just to make things a little less obvious. I didn't feel like being thrown in a tiny cell, never to see the light of day again, and neither, you may be amazed to learn, did Jarod or Em, so we thought that would be best."

"And if they had used it on me?"

"We would have used the same method to bring you back here as well. Actually, that's what we'd planned for. I didn't expect my brother to be so nice as to refrain from using something on you."

"Well, after watching Sydney collapse, I thought it might be better to let a few little things slip, just to prevent it. But we'll see what happens tomorrow."

"I had every intention of appearing at 'work' tomorrow as well so if it does happen you can be confident that everything will be fine."

# # #


The man stretched slightly and opened his eyes, looking around the room before pulling himself up in bed.

"That looks like a good sign," Miss Parker smiled from the doorway. "How do you feel?"

"Pretty good." Sydney stifled a yawn. "Probably not up to doing anything athletic, but otherwise not bad."

"Ready for something to eat?"

"That depends what it is." He looked up. "I'm not all that hungry."

"Helen left some soup that she suggested you eat before she and Broots went to pick up Debbie."

"That sounds nice." Sydney smiled as he saw himself being scrutinized. "Parker, I'm alright."

"Let's just say that I didn't really like seeing you slump in the chair like that."

"You weren't expecting it?"

"Despite that, it wasn't fun."

"I think our beloved boss thought it was even less fun." Sydney sat back against the pillows that she put behind him. "What did they do to you, anything?"

"They shot a few questions in my direction, and I answered a couple of them, but that was all." She half-smiled. "I wouldn't be too surprised if they recover from the shock of your turn to expose me to a similar thing tomorrow."

"Well, you know what will happen." He put a hand on hers. "Don't get too worried about it, Parker. It's not that bad."

"Says the expert," she responded teasingly, standing up. "How about that soup?"

# # #


Falk, New Jersey
"Mommy!"

The girl threw herself at the woman as Helen appeared in the doorway of the house, hugging her vigorously. Broots pretended to look offended.

"Don't I get a welcome, too, Debbie?"

"I saw you this morning," she responded, giggling. "I haven't seen Mommy for days!"

"At least four anyway," Helen laughed. "But I'll still be in Blue Cove for at least the next day or two and I promise to see you minimum of once then, okay?"

"Will I be in Blue Cove too, or just you?"

"Now that's an idea." The doctor laughed, looking at Broots. "We can leave her here and go back by ourselves."

"I thought you were devious, not cruel," Jarod commented as he walked into the room.

"I don't think you've been able to make up your mind on that point, have you?"

"Well, maybe not." He grinned. "How's Sydney?"

"He was still asleep when we left, but I'd expect him to be awake soon."

"And have you written a report to be handed in to the boss tomorrow?"

"Better." She sat down on the sofa and Debbie squeezed into the tiny space between Helen and Broots. "I got a call from him about twenty minutes before we all came out to you, asking me to come to his office in the morning and present it to him in person."

"You're not going to?" Jarod asked in horror.

"How can I get out of it?" She looked up at him. "What possible excuse could I give him? The only way would be if they questioned and drugged Miss Parker earlier than the time he gave me, and I can't see that happening. In fact, as I know what time she has to turn up at the T-Board room, I know it won't happen."

"Call in sick."

"No can do. They're going to question Miss Parker tomorrow morning, no matter what, and I have to be there for that. No, I'll just have to go and take all possible necessary precautions."

"Such as?"

Helen reached into her pocket and took out a tiny glass vial, smiling. "Do you remember a certain strong sleeping gas I mentioned?"

"The one you were going to use on Miss Parker, yes. Is that it?"

"Yes."

"And how would you administer it?"

"If I break the seal, the gas will be released and it's both strong and concentrated enough to affect everyone in an office the size of my brother's in something less than one minute."

"Except you, of course."

"Well, it wouldn't be a lot of good if it affected me, too, would it?"

"And what will you do?"

"I'll wait and see when it happens. In the best possible circumstance, I'd prefer it if I didn't have to use it, but, like I said, we'll see."

# # #


Blue Cove, Delaware
"Mommy, are you going to stay at our house tonight?"

Helen looked down with a loving smile. "No, baby, I'm going to sleep at Sydney's house, just in case he needs anything."

"Will I get to see you tomorrow?"

"Definitely. I'll come and visit in the evening. It may not be for very long but I'll be there, okay?"

"Uh huh." The girl continued to read her book, leaning against the woman's arm, as Broots drove.

"Have you talked to Ethan?" the man asked.

"I called him just before we left to let him know I wouldn't be back tonight."

The technician pulled the car up into the driveway and turned in his seat. "I'll call you whenever things start happening tomorrow, like they did today."

She nodded. "If I don't answer, call Jarod. There'll be something wrong."

He looked serious. "Are you expecting it?"

"Not at all, but you never know."

"Particularly not around a person as unpredictable as your brother."

"Thanks. It's always nice to get such a great endorsement for family."

Helen got out of the car and waved to Debbie as Broots drove off, before letting herself quietly into the house.

"How's he doing?"

The woman on the sofa jumped and turned quickly. "Do you mind?"

"That vacation ruined your normal awareness, Miss Parker." Helen sat down with a laugh. "And you can't even blame it on the measles."

"I'll blame it on that drug you gave me."

"Go ahead." The doctor grinned. "The drug wasn't responsible, of course, but I'm sure it won't mind being blamed."

Miss Parker smiled briefly before becoming more serious. "What do you think is going to happen tomorrow?"

Helen reached into her bag and took out a folder bearing the Centre logo. "I've got a meeting with my brother at eight to give him this. I'm recommending he hold off on any more such 'treatments', considering just how busy the infirmary is at the moment."

"Are they really?"

"Yes. Yesterday, just after Sydney was given that drug, a large group was bought up from one of the research labs. Apparently they were trying to finish a number of tests within a given deadline and hurried things too much. A few people received very severe burns."

"Well," Miss Parker commented snidely. "They should be used to treating those."

"These were all innocent women, Miss Parker, who were offered large amounts of money to participate. Instead some of them may not be able to work and at least one poor soul might never walk again."

The other woman was silent for a moment before speaking. "And after you’ve said all that to your brother?"

"I'll go back to the infirmary and watch your T-Board. If it's all okay, I'll head off to Ashe and your brother."

"How is he?"

"You didn't call him?" Helen raised an eyebrow. "I thought you would have."
"I thought about it, but I didn't want to wake him if he was asleep."

"Well, I called him before Broots and I left Falk and he was fine then." Helen rose to her feet. "I'm going to see how Sydney is."

# # #


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware

"How is the doctor this morning?"

"When I called on him at home, on the way to work, he was recovering fairly well from the affects of the drug."

"Explain what you mean by 'fairly well'." The man looked up, his eyes glinting as they focused on the brunette who stood in front of his desk.

"His co-ordination and alertness is better than I had expected but his recollection is poor. He had no memory of yesterday at all, beyond entering the interrogation room."

"Was that so unexpected, Doctor?"

"I would certainly have expected him to remember being at home later, after the drug had worn off. Instead I owe all knowledge of what occurred that evening to Miss Parker, who, I understand, spent the night there."

Helen watched her brother's eye meet that of the man on his right, whose head moved in a slight confirmation of the fact. The redheaded man leaned back in his chair and pressed the tips of his fingers together.

"And I'm assuming that you have a recommendation in this case. You medical people have recommendations coming out your ears."

She briefly wondered what had given him such a bad idea of medical people, but prevented her emotions from showing on her face.

"With all due respect, sir, I would recommend that you refrain from administering that drug, or any others in that series, to any of the people you're questioning."

"Why?"

"At present, due to a serious accident yesterday, the infirmary is stretched to the limits of both manpower and medication. We can't afford to be leaving a room aside for people to be sleeping off drugs for hours on end, not to mention that such cases generally require constant supervision in case they react further."

"In what way could this occur?"

"Deaths from such reactions, from the material I read, are not unknown, sir."

The man raised an eyebrow. "And what 'material' would that be, Doctor?"

"Several weeks ago, I had a patient brought to the infirmary who showed identical signs to those of the doctor yesterday, having taken part in a series of tests with that drug family. I did some research in the mainframe and found those details."

The man nodded slowly. "Would you happen to have saved any of this data?"

"No, sir." Helen let her eyes widen in seeming astonishment. "But I'm certain that you could look it up for yourselves."

Out of the corner of her eye, she watched the third man's lips twitch, but whether in amusement or vexation, she couldn't tell.

"So you feel that none of these drugs ought to be used until we carry out further tests?"

"Certainly not if you wanted the people to be available for further questioning. I'd honestly be very surprised, considering the doctor's reaction this morning, if he will be able to answer many of your questions in future. My own questioning flustered him and made it difficult for him to concentrate. That effect may fade but I wouldn't like to guarantee it."

"And do you consider that he will be able to work in future?"

"Oh, yes. In fact he said that he felt well enough to return to work today - he became stringent on the subject - but I managed to persuade him that it would be best for him to stay at home today and come back tomorrow. Providing that he isn't placed under great stress, I can see no problem with him continuing to work."

"And that is your considered medical opinion?" The man's voice was a sneer and Helen made her voice icy.

"Yes, sir."

"Very well. We shall consider it. You may go."

Responding to his nod with a nod of her own, Helen turned and left the room just in time to stop herself from laughing out loud. She had reached the elevators when her cell phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Flustered, was I?” an accented voice asked. “Unable to concentrate?"

"Sydney!" She lowered her voice to a murmur. "If I'd known you were listening..."

"It was highly entertaining, doctor." His tones became patronizing. "You acquitted yourself well."

"I'm very grateful for your kind comments." She grinned. "So how did you manage to log into the security system?"

"He had help," another voice put in.

"Jarod, are you mad? You were close enough to the Centre yesterday!"

"I thought about appearing there today. You know, maybe visit the infirmary for a short stint."

"I'll tell my brother on you."

"No, please!" She could hear him fighting to contain his amusement. "Not that! I'll be good! Just, please, anything but that!"

"Keep going like that and I'll tell your mother."

"Okay, okay, I'll leave Blue Cove."

"I'm glad to hear it. Sydney, do you want me to come around and see you?"

"You can if you like. I'm feeling all right, though."

"I'm glad to hear it. If Miss Parker doesn't need my help, I'll come around to see you before I visit Debbie."

"If they do use anything on her, bring her around here and I'll look after her while you get back to Ethan."

"Thanks, Sydney. That's very good of you."

"No problem. I have to make up for my extended vacation somehow, you know."

"In the meantime, you can start practicing, in case he ignores my recommendation and does drag you up again. Don't forget, flustered and unable to concentrate."

Seating herself behind her desk, she could hear him laughing.

"Yes, doctor. I'll do my best to obey orders."

# # #


Helen watched as the woman was escorted from the room and heaved a grateful sigh, turning to slip her things into the bag that lay on her desk. Turning, her eyes met those of the man who had silently removed the air vent cover, and she went over, first to lock the door and then to kneel in front of him.

"What is it, Angelo?"

"Plan."

Raising an eyebrow, she rocked back on her heels. "Whose plan? Mine? My plan from five years ago?"

He nodded emphatically and pushed several folders into her hand. She looked at the names and then back at him.

"Will you help me, Angelo?"

With another emphatic nod, he held up ten fingers. "Time."

"Ten o'clock tonight? Right after the light go out? And should I ask Broots to help with security?"

"Me."

"Are you sure you can manage it?"

"No danger." He grinned for a moment. "No daughter."

"All right, Angelo. Take care of the system and meet me at ten in our spot." She grabbed his wrist as he was about to disappear. "I'm taking you with me tonight. I won't leave you here now. It's too dangerous."

"No." He shook his head with as much emphasis as he had nodded it. "Stay. Help Jarod. Others."

"You'll help him a lot better by him knowing you're safe. Do you know what’d happen to you if they realized?"

He tapped the side of his head, grinning sadly. "Punished."

Gently she reached out and hugged him. "Yes, Angelo." Her voice was full of pain. "You already have been."

Picking up the folders as he disappeared back into the darkness, she took them over to the desk and sat down. The first sheet outlined a plan and, reading through the details, her eyes widened, before she nodded definitively. It was more than time for her plan to be used and she could guess the information contained in the other folders. Glancing through them quickly, she thrust them into her bag, abruptly leaving the office.

# # #


Blue Cove, Delaware
Sydney saw the distinctive red head enter the supermarket and, with a grin, went in after her. He followed her down the first aisle and, as she glanced to her right, tapped her on the shoulder.

"I couldn't quite remember - was fresh air in that prescription?"

"If you think it’d help," she grinned, recovering from her shock at his sudden appearance. "But I'm sure you're capable of making that decision for yourself, aren't you, Doctor?"

"Well, I always like a second opinion." He eyed her. "Particularly from the little sister of my boss." He watched her put several items in the trolley and grin while watching him from the corner of her eye. "Uh, should I ask?"

"Only if you really have to know." She looked around. "I'll tell you, but not here."

He nodded. "Can I give you a hand?"

"With the amount of stuff I need to buy, I'd appreciate it."

"Are you setting up house in Blue Cove?"

Helen eyed him scornfully as she put several jars into the cart. "I didn't expect that drug to have affected your brain."

"Please," Sydney raised his hands in a gesture of protest. "If you place me under great stress, I might become flustered and unable to concentrate."

"You're too smart for your own good,” she snorted. “And mine."

"Well, why not buy it all closer to home?"

"Because I won't have a chance closer to home."

"There are no supermarkets between here and there? I'll have to have a word to somebody about that on your behalf."

She smiled, picking up several large packages and, as Sydney stared in astonishment, put them on top of everything else. "That's awfully considerate of you, but I never said that I was lacking opportunity. It's just that my circumstances make it easier now."

# # #


"Okay, Helen, what's going on?"

He looked at her as soon as they were in the car and she assumed her look of mock-innocence.

"I couldn't just be planning for a possible future?"

"Not unless allegedly permanent operations have suddenly become reversible," he shot back.

Laughing, she reached into her bag and took out a sheet of paper. "Let's see if that drug really did have an affect or not."

Steering into the traffic, she watched out of the corner of her eye as Sydney read through all the material.

"Mr. Parker?" he suggested in startled tones.

"Say a loving goodbye if you should happen to see him tomorrow. The only thing you'll see after that is a pine coffin."

"I didn't know your brother was such a cheapskate. He doesn't deserve ebony or something for all the work he's put in over the years?"

She laughed. "At least they're going to bury him beside his wife's empty coffin."

"So that means the baby…"

"Precisely." The doctor nodded. "I'm getting him out tonight."

"And Miss Parker?"

"She's too valuable to the Triumvirate, but I checked and…" Helen trailed off and, stopping at the traffic light, reached into her bag, producing another folder. "Take a look at those tests and you'll see what I mean."

The psychiatrist glanced over the sheets of paper, only a few of which had any meaning for him, but the results were clear and he read through the summary.

"So where will you take him?"

"Ashe. It's safe and Ethan can help me care for him."

"Does Ethan know?"

"Sydney, I've had been privy to that information for about an hour and we were in the store, which is about half an hour from the Centre, for the other half, so when would I have told him anything?"

"Who gave it to you?"

"Well, I sure didn't get it from my brother."

"And will he be the only one you take back to Ashe?"

"I tried to convince Angelo to come with me, but he wouldn't."

"Is that all?"

He waited, watching a small grin appear on her face as she remained silent, and turned to face her, his impatience obvious.

"Well?"

# # #


Helen pulled the car up the curb and got out, walking around to the passenger's door and hearing the signal for the end of the day as she did so. A few moments later the first of the students ran through the doors and Helen quickly recognized the familiar face in the crowd.

"Debbie?"

"Mommy!" the girl shrieked in delight before running over to throw herself at Helen. "How come you're here?"

"I came to pick you up, baby." The doctor hugged her. "I thought if your dad asks me that I'd even come for dinner."

Debbie scrambled into the passenger seat and did up the belt, her eyes widening as she glanced into the back seat.

"Mommy, who's that for?”

"Somebody that I'm going to pick up tonight and take home."

"Like you did with us?"

"Exactly." Helen started the engine. "But it's a secret, sweetheart, so you mustn't tell anyone, not even your dad or Miss Parker, okay?"

"Uh huh." She looked at the doctor. "They'll know eventually, though, right?"

"Yes, but it might take them a while. If you have to talk to anyone, Sydney knows but that's all I'm telling."

"How does he know?"

"He was with me when I bought it."

She nodded before looking up. "Will you help me with my homework tonight? I'm all behind from being sick."

Helen glanced over with a loving smile. "Of course I will, sweetie."

# # #


Dropping silently into the darkness, Helen straightened up to find the empath next to her.

"Perfect timing, Angelo. Is everything set?"

She could make out the nod of his head in the faint light as she followed him down the shaft. The two figures descended several ladders, finally arriving at the vent of a room in which a man lay on the bed, asleep. Helen reached into the sleeve of her top and drew out a long, thin file. Slipping it in between the cover and the wall, she jiggled it for a moment and heard the quiet click. The hinge made no sound as Angelo pushed the cover away and climbed out into the room. Going over to the bed, he gently shook the man on it.

"Steve."

Slowly the man awoke, making out the features in the dim bulb that still burned in the ceiling, and sat up.

"What is it, Angelo? What do you want?"

"Friend."

"I know you are." The man grinned feebly. "You didn't really need to wake me up to tell me that. I had a terrible day. Couldn't you have left me to sleep?"

The empath grinned, shaking his head. "New friend."

"Oh, really?" The man glanced over to the vent cover and watched as the woman appeared in the room. He eyed her mistrustfully before looking at Angelo. "You're sure?"

"Positive. Help escape."

"Who?"

"Jarod."

The man's eyes widened, staring at her. "You did?"

"Yes, Steven." She smiled. "And I thought it was time I did it again. Are you ready to go?"

"Why?"

"I can't explain it now; we don't have time. You're not the only person on my wish list tonight."

"Michael?"

"Well, I wouldn't leave him here, without you, would I?" She smiled. "I know quite a bit about your connection and I wouldn't take one without the other. Now, if you can trust me, let's get going."