Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Two Faces
Part 2


Stevenson's Falls, Delaware
3pm May 15, 2000

Stephanie wiped the last of the chocolate icing from off the bench and stood back with a satisfied smile as she surveyed her clean kitchen. Less that twenty minutes earlier it had looked as though a bomb had hit it after her two children had finished icing they cake. Now they were both lying in little heaps on their beds, sleep having taken over them just after the cake had been put away, and she had finally managed to clean up the mess. A smile creased the corners of her mouth as she rinsed out the cloth and hung it over the tap. With a final sigh she glanced around the room and then picked up the phone as it rang.

"It's me. We're coming."

Before she could even open her mouth, the dial tone sounded in Stephanie's ear. Well, if anyone was tracing the call, they certainly wouldn't manage it that time. But we? Were they together then? Obviously he was all right, or he wouldn't have been able to speak to her. But they must have been injured in some way. It would be miraculous if they weren't both in desperate need of medical attention. Walking over to the cupboard, Stephanie bent down and picked up two plastic bowls, filling them with warm water and a splash of disinfectant.

She was turning back the bed in the guest-room when she heard the back door open and, going out of the room, she saw the two figures stumble into the house. Before either could speak, she held a finger to her lips and, taking some of the weight, ushered the two of them into the spare room.

"Jarod, what on earth is going on? How on earth did the two you escape?"

As she spoke, Stephanie picked up a cloth from beside the bowl and, soaking it, began to wipe the blood from Ethan's forehead.

As the man winced and tried to move away, she placed a hand on his and looked into his eyes. "Ethan, it's all right. I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to help you. Do you believe me?"

He looked at her out of large blue eyes, but gave no reply. She wiped the last of the blood away and then looked up at Jarod, who hadn’t replied to her questions, seeing the dirt smearing his face and the weariness in his eyes.

"Well?"

"How...did you know about Ethan?"

"I found some files just after you left for your vacation with Zoe." As she turned her head, her hair moved aside and he saw the small bandage on her forehead. He grabbed her hand and gently turned her head to get a better look.

"What happened?"

"Don't be silly," she grinned at him as she turned away and picked up another cloth from the pile. "Did you think we'd leave you in that tunnel on your own? The Triumvirate ordered me to take Sydney and the others in there to try and retrieve you all. So we did."

"And?"

"And what? We found Miss Parker but we had to leave before we could really look for the two of you. Of course, having inside information meant that I could see the way you two had gone. Not that the others know that."

"And...Miss Parker?"

"She's fine. Somehow. Oh, she was knocked out, of course. But otherwise there's only a few bumps and bruises."

"But...you...?" He reached out and gently touched the small plaster.

"It's fine, Jarod. I just didn't duck down behind the wall far enough and a bit of shrapnel hit me. I'm more worried about you two." She turned back to Ethan. "Will you let me have a look, Ethan? I'll try not to hurt you, I promise."

She watched as the two brothers looked at each other and waited as Ethan spoke. "Is it...?"

Jarod smiled. "What does Catherine say?"

Stephanie raised an eyebrow slightly and glanced at Jarod. He ignored her and kept looking at Ethan, who finally looked at Stephanie and nodded. She smiled and, deciding to wait and clarify everything later, moved over to the younger man and gently dried the wound with a soft cloth.

#####

"Okay, now you're going to tell me what's going on?"

Stephanie applied the last strip of sticking plaster to Jarod's forehead and sat in a chair opposite him at the kitchen table.

"First of all, how are the kids?"

"Fine. Asleep, I hope. But you didn't answer my question."

"Before I start talking, I want to know what you know. There's no point in me telling you things if you know them already."

Stephanie sighed and grinned at him. "Okay. The day that you went off to spend time with Zoe, I found a file about Mirage. The Triumvirate passed on all the information that they forced out of Mr Parker, when they were questioning him."

"Why didn't they ask Raines? It's his project."

"Jarod - he's dead."

"What?"

"Miss Parker was..."

"Miss Parker shot him?"

Stephanie grinned. "You and Sydney both! No, she was questioning him about Ethan, and he was about to let some things slip when Mr. Parker shot him, from point blank range. As far as any of us know, he's definitely dead." She giggled. “Not that that seems to be worrying too many people.”

"And Mr. Parker?"

"He and Lyle are being questioned by the Triumvirate for their involvement in an attempted coup. The last I heard, Lyle was being brought in front of a T-Board. I would have stayed around to help, but the Triumvirate sent me home to recover."

"How much do they know?"

"Oh, everything. They just want to watch them sweat blood before they reveal all of the facts. I don't think either of them will have much to do with the higher ranks of the Centre for some time."

"And...Parker?"

"She's fine. A few cuts and scratches, of course, and she might take a few hours to get over the concussion, but otherwise she's okay."

Jarod suddenly bit his bottom lip and stared at her. "As far as the others knew, we didn't get out. So Sydney thinks we're..."

Stephanie reached out and covered his hands with her own. "Jarod, I had to tell him the logical thing. Believe me, considering the situation, it made sense for you to have been killed in that explosion. Almost as soon as we found Parker, another train went past. The tunnel..."

"...collapsed." Jarod's face and voice were grim.

"And, as far as Sydney knows, you and Ethan were trapped in it."

"And is he...?"

"He hasn't had a chance to deal with the fact yet. When we talked, later, he kept shifting between times, from you being alive to the other possibility. I believe it will take him some time to get used to it. I'm a little worried about what he might do when that happens."

Jarod pushed his chair back in preparation for standing. "Then I should call him, tell him I'm okay." He stood up and nearly collapsed. Fortunately, Stephanie had been waiting for such an occurrence and she was quickly beside him.

"You are doing nothing except going to bed. After carrying Ethan all this way, you aren't fit for anything. Now don't argue," she interjected as she saw Jarod's mouth open. "You're going to bed and that's the end of it."

"Yes, mommy."

A perfect imitation of her son's voice.

Stephanie giggled quietly as she supported him along the hall and into his room. She helped him to sit down on the single bed and moved across to shut the curtains. "And now," she turned around and was about to continue when she saw that he was already lying down with his eyes closed. She choked back a giggle as she pulled the covers over him and, turning, left the room. Had she looked back, she would have seen Jarod cautiously open his eyes and roll over onto his back, silently easing his cell phone out of his jacket pocket.

She walked down the hall and into the living room. On the floor, near where the two had entered, lay a scrap of paper. Picking up it, she read the address that was printed on it, but noises in another part of the house told her that she had no time to try and work out its meaning. Within a few moments, her children appeared in the room.

"Mommy, can we have some cake?"

"Not yet, Clare. We'll wait for a few hours, and then maybe Daddy can eat with us."

"He's here?" Clare was about to run down the hall when Stephanie put out an arm and held her back.

"You can see him after he's had a sleep."

"Is he tired again?"

"Yes. So we need to let him rest, okay?"

"Okay." The little girl turned a hopeful look up to her mother. "Can we go play on the trampoline?"

"We? You mean you, don't you? You know that Jeremy is too young."

"But sometimes..."

"Only when I'm going to be out there with you, and right now I have things to do."

"Really?"

"Really. Now, off you go. I'll call you to come in and see Daddy."

As the little girl waltzed out of the house, Stephanie turned to see Ethan walk out of the guest room. Her son immediately hid his face in her neck as she picked him up.

"I'm sorry. He's awfully shy. Hey, Jeremy. This is a person who knows Daddy."

"Daddy?"

"That's right?"

The little boy turned to the startled young man. "Wat's oor name?"

Stephanie smiled and nodded encouragingly as Ethan glanced at her.

"I...I'm Ethan."

"Hello." The little boy smiled and then squirmed until Stephanie put him down with a sigh of relief.

"He's very energetic, even for a two-year-old."

Ethan slipped onto one of the high stools and rested his arms on the bench. "He doesn't look much like Jarod."

Stephanie stared at him for a moment in mild confusion, before bursting into peals of laughter. "You thought that we...well, I suppose it could have seemed a little like it. No, Ethan, we aren't married. This was my husband." She handed Ethan a framed photo showing a man whose resemblance to the small boy was unmistakable.

"Was?"

Stephanie took back the picture and gazed at it for a few seconds before restoring it to its place on the bench. "David...my late husband...was killed in a car crash a little over two years ago, before Jeremy was born. Jarod was working at the crèche where Clare, that's my daughter, she's playing in the back yard, where Clare goes. For a few months, after David died, Jarod used to bring Clare home and sometimes do some shopping for me. Jeremy always called Jarod 'Daddy', and it seemed to make Clare feel better to do it as well. Then, one day, Clare said that mommies and daddies should always live together, so I offered to let him stay here when he was in the area. He'd already told me what he did, you see, so that I wouldn't worry about leaving Clare with him. Being so close to Blue Cove, it also lets him keep a close eye on the Centre."

"And…you work there?"

"At the moment, yes." She glanced up as Ethan began to shift awkwardly in his seat. "Now, don't worry. Jarod would never have brought you here if he didn't trust me. What does Catherine say about me?"

"She says...I should trust you too."

"And what do you say?"

"I..." He looked away and then looked back with a determined and hopeful expression in his eyes. "I want to trust you."

She leaned across and put her hands on his. "Then try, Ethan. I don't expect you to do it at once, but please try."

He looked up into her eyes and seemed suddenly overwhelmed by emotion.

"What..." he said with difficulty. "What do you do there?"

#####

Stephanie was finishing her discussion with Ethan when the back door of the house opened and a little girl stuck her head inside.

"Can I come in yet?"

Stephanie glanced at the clock. "Oh, my goodness! In all this discussion, I forgot about the time. Did you bring Sam with you?"

"Sam?" Ethan looked startled. "I thought your son was called Jeremy."

The little girl giggled and skipped into the room. "No, silly. That's Sam." She pointed to the doorway, where a small black head was poking itself inquiringly into the room.

"Clare! That's not a nice thing to say."

The little girl dropped her head and muttered an apology before shuffling out of the room.

"Where are you going, Clare?"

"To see if Daddy's awake."

"No, you're not. Come back out here and meet a person that Daddy knows."

The girl turned and came back into the room. She came over and stood beside Stephanie.

"Clare, this is Ethan. Ethan, this is my daughter."

"Hello." The child stuck out her hand and, hesitatingly, Ethan shook it.

"Okay, Clare. You can put on your new video if you want."

The girl ran through an archway and into another room, where sounds could soon be heard. Meanwhile Stephanie picked up the scrap of paper from the bench and held it out to Ethan.

"Do you know what this is?"

He took it and read it, turning it over to see what was on the back. "I don't know. The address is not far from where I lived. It's a convent. The Sisters of St Catherine Church."

Stephanie took back the scrap of paper and, leaning against the bench, contemplated it as though it contained all of the answers she needed. Ethan half-smiled at her. "What are you thinking?"

"Wondering what is so important to Jarod that he would hide it here. Tell me," she turned to Ethan, "how did Jarod know about you?"

"I don't...oh. I think...Emily."

"Your sister?"

"Mmm-hmm."

Stephanie walked around to her computer and opened it. Within seconds she had the article about the attempted murder up on screen. Then she picked up the phone.

Sisters of St Catherine Church
5pm May 15, 2000

"Well?" the white-haired man demanded as he looked up from his position beside the bed as one of the nuns entered the room.

"There's a person looking for you, Major. Or for Emily. He goes by the name of Ethan."

"Ethan!" Emily's eyes shone and she tried to sit up but her father prevented her.

"We don't know whether it's really him. It could be the Centre."

"But it could really be Ethan! What if it is, and we miss the chance to see him?"

"What if it isn't, and we end up dead or at the Centre?"

The girl rested her head back on the pillow and looked up at her father.

"Dad, please. It could be Ethan and Jarod!"

The Major shook his head. "Definitely not. We're leaving here today."

"But Dad..."

Stevenson's Falls, Delaware
5:15pm May 15, 2000

"It's no good. They told me that they weren't there," the man said in a disappointed voice.

"Which is, presumably, not true." Stephanie folded her hands on the table in front of her.

"Beside the point. They'll leave today."

"Not if we can get there first."

Ethan stared at her. "And how would we do that?"

She grinned. "It's perfectly simple. In a Centre jet, we could get there in no time."

"And how are we supposed to get a Centre jet?"

She laughed. "Very easy, Ethan. I ask for one."

The grin vanished as she felt the hand on her shoulder and turned to look up into Jarod's dark, glittering eyes.

The Centre Jet
5.30pm May 15, 2000

"How long until we land in Philadelphia, Mike?"

"About half an hour."

"And did you file the false flight plan?"

"Uh huh. According to it, we're going to North Dakota."

"And did you disable the tracking device?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"And you do realize the consequences of telling anyone about this?"

The pilot looked at her out of the corner of his eye. Having trained with her, Mike was fully aware of what could happen. There was, therefore, some apprehension in his eyes. "Yes, ma'am. You know you can trust me."

"Good."

Stephanie stood up and left the cockpit, heading into the body of the jet.

"Where are we going to land?"

"There's an airstrip about five minutes away from the convent. We'll land there and get to our destination before they can leave."

Jarod eyed Stephanie. "I hope this works."

She looked down at him from where she stood. "It will."

Sisters of St Catherine Church
5:45pm May 15, 2000

"Are you ready, Major?"

"Almost." He turned to Emily, whose red eyes showed the depth of her emotion at missing a possible meeting with her brother.

"Dad, can I have a drink?"

"Sure." He slid one arm under her shoulders and was about to lift her when she gasped and then her head fell back. "Emily? Emily!" He put her back onto the pillow and shook her, gently at first and then harder. "Emily, come on. Open your eyes. Talk to me."

The Centre Jet
5:55pm May 15, 2000

"Preparing for landing, Mike."

"Landing in thirty seconds."

Stephanie ensured that her seatbelt was secure and settled back, her hands gripping the arms of the chair. It wasn't that she was a nervous flyer. It was that she hated the thought that Jarod and Ethan's family might have slipped away while they were in the air.

"Perfect landing."

"Good. Let's get out of here."

The three of them hurriedly exited the plane and got into a car that was waiting for them.

Sisters of St Catherine Church
6pm May 15, 2000

The girl slowly opened her eyes and focused on the almost frantic expression of her father. "What happened?"

"I don't know. I suppose that me lifting you caused you to faint." He turned away to pick up a damp rag from beside the bed and thus missed the mischievous expression that fluttered across the girl's face. When he turned back, she was again looking slightly confused and somewhat pale.

"Are we...leaving soon?"

"As soon as you're ready."

Emily's lips moved but she made no sound as her eyelids gradually closed. Her father stood back from the bed and watched her.

Sisters of St Catherine Church
6:02pm May 15, 2000

"Hello, Sister Joan."

The elderly nun looked up and then jumped up, running around the desk to embrace the slender female. "My goodness! Stephanie, my dear! Oh, how wonderful to see you again. I can't believe it, after so long!"

"I know." Her face broke into a wide grin. "But this time I'm here on business, I suppose you might call it. I'm planning to reunite a family."

"But...who...Not your own?"

The woman laughed. "No, definitely not. These two men," she turned and beckoned. Then Jarod and Ethan stepped out of the shadows. The nun hurried forward.

"Jarod. I'm so glad to see you. And who is this?"

The Pretender smiled. "This is my brother, Ethan. I want him to meet his father and sister."

The nun, by now, was smiling so widely that Stephanie secretly wondered whether her wimple would stay on.

"You're in luck, all of you. They were about to leave but a small relapse has delayed it."

"Relapse? Jarod's face became immediately concerned.

"It was nothing serious. Just a small faint. She's recovering well, and it was nothing more than could be expected."

"Sister, I'm sure that Jarod would like to see his sister himself, to assure him of that fact. Would it be possible for you to take them there?"

Ethan glanced over. "Aren't you coming?"

"And ruin a family reunion? Never. No, you two go. Sister Joan and I have a lot to catch up on." Stephanie watched them leave and was about to sit down when her phone rang.

#####

Major Charles brushed the hair away from his daughter's face and watched her as she slept. Then he rose and, picking up an empty glass, walked towards the door. As he was about to open it, the knob turned in his hand and the door came towards him, nearly knocking him back into the room. He looked up, fear evident in his eyes, at the nun whose figure filled the doorframe.

"I'm sorry, Major. I didn't mean to startle you. There are two men here who want to see you."

"Two men?" The voice from the bed startled both occupants of the room.

"Yes. Two." The nun smiled and stood to one side of the doorway, revealing the two figures standing behind her. Then she smiled again and moved back through the doorway closing it behind her.

Sisters of St Catherine Church
6:05pm May 15, 2000

"Yes, sir... No, I quite understand... Of course... Yes, they're all here... No, that's unnecessary... Actually, sir, I already started to explain that on the way over here, in the jet... No, sir, that's fine... Of course. I'll see you then... No, that's fine. I'll tell Miss Parker myself... Goodbye."

"Business?"

Stephanie looked up from the pad of paper, where she was jotting down a few notes, to find the nun standing beside her.

"Unfortunately."

"You're not enjoying your work?"

"Not at the moment I'm afraid, Sister. It's never good to destroy people's dreams, but sometimes..."

"Sometimes it has to be done. Stephanie, I know you'll find the inner strength to do it. I have faith in you."

The other woman smiled. "I wish I had so much faith in myself."

"If it is for the best and if you ask, He will help you."

"He has always helped me, Sister. And this time is no exception."

The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
10pm May 15, 2000

Stephanie glanced at the small screen showing the woman lying on the bed in the infirmary. The Triumvirate had insisted that she be put there for a time, but her time off was about to be ended in the most unpleasant way. Stephanie whispered a small prayer under her breath and, watched as Broots entered the room. Carefully, she watched his every move on the screen.

"What is it, Broots?" Miss Parker looked up from the discussion that she and Sydney were having and glared at the nervous technician.

"I...It's Jarod!"

"He's alive?" the woman exclaimed.

"More than that! He's here! Back at the Centre!"

"What?!" Miss Parker threw back the blankets, preparing to get out of bed, as Sydney stared in shock.

"And...and not only that. Also Ethan, and Major Charles and Emily. They were lured into a trap and brought back an hour ago!"

As he finished speaking, Stephanie pushed open the door to the room and strode in. She was carrying three folders.

"Miss Parker, tomorrow morning at nine o'clock precisely, you will report in the Corporate sector for your new position there. Doctor, you will be at the laboratory in SL-14 and you, Mr Broots, will show yourself at the Tech Room on SL-5, also at 9am. Here are your orders for assignments to be completed at those times. There will a meeting for the former pursuit team," Stephanie watched Miss Parker wince at the term 'former', "at midday tomorrow. You are all expected to attend."

Stephanie pushed the folders into the hands on the men and dropped the other onto the bed and then turned on her heel and prepared to leave the room, but a comment stopped her.

"I congratulate you, Stephanie, on achieving the impossible."

Stephanie turned and fixed her gaze firmly on her ex-rival, who maintained eye contact only with difficulty. "As I told you on Friday, Miss Parker, *I* never fail. The Triumvirate, however, has, I understand, some comments to make on *your* ability." Turning on her heel, Stephanie left the room.

Once outside, she resumed her post at the monitor and watched as the three picked up the folders and skimmed through the contents. Miss Parker was the first to react. The folder ended up on the floor, its contents scattered around.

"I don't believe it. It's a ploy to get rid of us."

She looked from Broots, who still looked pale, to Sydney who seemed distracted. "What is it? Syd? Sydney! What's wrong?"

"It's true." Sydney's voice was hollow and his face was even paler than Broots'.

"What's true?" Miss Parker's voice held a tone of nastiness, but it wasn't enough to break through Sydney's mood.

"About Jarod. He's here - at the Centre."

"Prove it." Miss Parker's voice held a sense of healthy skepticism, until Sydney showed her the photograph he was holding. She took it, glanced at it and then let it drop on the bed.

Stephanie turned away from the screen with a small smile on her face. At the same moment, her cell phone rang.

"It is working," she announced.

"So we have just witnessed. Have you explained everything?"

"I believe so, sir. And we now have fourteen hours in which to make sure that everything goes according to plan."

"Oh, it will, Miss Stephanie. Be very assured that it will."

"One more thing, sir. I would like your permission to examined the room tomorrow before we hold the interview."

"For what purpose?"

"Just to guarantee that it will suit my purpose, sir."

"And that is?"

Stephanie laughed. "Why, sir, have you forgotten? Entertainment, sir. Pure entertainment."

Stevenson's Falls, Delaware
11:35pm May 15, 2000

Stephanie lowered herself onto her bed with a sigh and a small groan. Her head was finally beginning to remember that it had been struck by a flying piece of brick almost twelve hours earlier and she wished it would stop reminding her. She had far more important things to think about. She picked up the black folder and was about to continue reading its contents when a knock at the door startled her.

"Come in."

She smiled as Jarod's head poked itself around the doorway.

"I thought you were asleep."

To Stephanie's surprise, Jarod reddened slightly. "What, just now?"

"Well, when else? I was under the distinct impression that, after we all came back from the Centre, you went into your room and went to sleep."

"That was a very correct assumption." He walked in and sat on her bed. "But now it's wrong."

She shrugged and slipped the papers back into the folder. "At least I was right for a while. Where's everyone else?"

"Ethan and Emily are asleep in Clare and Jeremy's rooms, respectively, and Dad is in the guest room."

"Asleep too?"

"I'm not sure. The light's on but I do have a vague memory of him falling asleep with it on before, so that might be it." He looked closely at her. "I have a feeling that they aren't the only ones who should be getting some rest. You look like death warmed up."

"It's so nice to have friends," retorted Stephanie in a somewhat sharp tone.

He grinned and she couldn't help grinning back. "So what are you doing?"

"Talking to a person who thinks he's clever."

"Oh, very funny."

"I was serious."

"So was I."

"Okay, I was reading these files that Sydney left in my office this afternoon. Good enough for you?"

"And what do they say?"

"Well," she turned a look on Jarod that, grown man as he was, suddenly made him feel about eight years old again, "considering that I'd read of all of about two words, it's probably a little early to tell, wouldn't you say? But I'll keep you informed," she added, kindly and picked up the papers with a sigh. Then, with an even bigger sigh, she put them down again. "What is it, Jarod?"

"Is this plan of yours going to work?"

"How many times have we been through this?" She rolled her eyes towards the ceiling. It was true, she thought, that it was possibly a little harsh considering what he'd been through that day but, to hell with it, she'd had a bad day as well and now she was going to make sure he knew about it.

"Look, Stephanie, I know you've had a bad day..."

She blinked at him in surprise.

"...But none of us are too keen about being back at the Centre."

She sighed again. "Look, surely the fact that no-one stopped you from leaving earlier today must show you that I wasn't lying."

He looked at her somewhat skeptically. She wasn't really surprised.

"You've always trusted me before. Why change now?"

He moved up further on the bed until he was sitting next to her. Reaching out, he put his hand on hers. "You know that it's not you that I don't trust. It's them. How can I be expected to trust the Triumvirate?"

She touched the side of his face gently with her hand. "You aren't. And, considering the past, I wouldn't expect your family to either. All I ask is that you trust me."

He stood up and headed for the door. Suddenly he turned back. "And what makes you think that *you* can trust them?"

She smiled. "Believe me, with what I know about them, it's more of a case of them having to trust me."

He looked at her one last time before leaving the room. She sighed again and picked up the papers. Glancing at the clock, she rolled her eyes again. Great. Six and a half hours before she had to be at the Centre, so that she could get them all back before anyone in a position to do anything about it found that they weren't there. And then she had to check that anyone who wasn't in a position to do anything about it hadn't told someone in a position to do something about it that they weren't there. And then she had to convince the aforementioned person in the position not to do anything about it that they shouldn't tell the aforementioned person in the position to do something about it that they weren't there. Or something.

Stevenson's Falls, Delaware
6am May 16, 2000

Stephanie rolled over as the alarm clock jangled loudly in her ear and tried to pretend that it didn't exist. She couldn't. Instead she sat up and glared at it for a few minutes before deciding that her headache might ease slightly if she turned it off. So she did. It didn't help. Her head still felt that someone had thrown a brick at it and, considering the activities of the previous twenty-four hours, that was probably justified. She was about to lie down again and try to go back to sleep when several other activities of the past twenty-four hours waltzed their way into her brain and she realized that she probably needed to do something about them, and drinking to forget them was probably something she should have done the night before. Oh well, too late now.

She dragged herself out of bed and into her adjoining bathroom. She nearly fell asleep three times in the shower, until she finally got out in case she did fall asleep and accidentally drowned. Then she walked, slightly more awake, back into the bedroom and got into the dress that she'd had the foresight to put out for herself and tied back her hair. Lastly, she attached a small bunch of artificial flowers to her dress and left the room.

"Good morning." The voice sounded far too cheerful and she responded with a glare, but it didn't deter Jarod. He came and slipped an arm around her shoulder.

"What happened to you? Last night you were ready to commit murder, arson and any other crime I can come up with and this morning you look as though you just spent a cheerful afternoon in a hot tub with Zoe." She watched as he turned and stared at her.

"How did you know?"

"Know what?"

"About Zoe?"

"It was a lucky guess, Jarod." She grinned and headed for the kitchen. "Now, is that coffee I can smell? I think we're all going to need a few good strong cups to deal with the day today!"

Lab on SL-14
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
9:17am May 16, 2000

Stephanie stalked into the room and sat down on a convenient chair, with her legs crossed and arms folded, and waited. It took three minutes until the door opened and the face of the doctor appeared on the threshold. He hesitated when he saw the occupant of the room and then marched resolutely across and put his bag on the desk before he met her eyes.

"You, Doctor, were given explicit directions. They did not involve being twenty minutes late for work this morning, regardless of what may have happened yesterday."

He looked at her briefly before extracting a folder from his bag. "I'm sorry. I had car trouble."

She got up from the chair and made her way over to him. "It would be advisable, Doctor, if you wish the Triumvirate to have any sympathy for your predicament at all, to try and work with them instead of against them. You are, I may as well warn you, unpopular enough with them as it is."

Stephanie had reached the door before Sydney spoke.

"How is Jarod?"

"The condition of Red File number 2 is no longer your concern. You are to focus on the tasks you have been given. Any attempt you make to contact him will result in punishments being inflicted on both of you. The patience of the Triumvirate has worn thin over the last four years, Doctor." She closed her mouth and stalked out of the room.

Tech Room, SL-5
9:24am May 16, 2000

Stephanie walked into the room and placed a heavy hand on the shoulder of the man seated on front of one of the computers. She then had the satisfaction of feeling his squirm at her touch as he realized her identity.

"You, Mr Broots, were late."

"I...I'm sorry. I was - "

"No excuses, Mr Broots. The Triumvirate has heard every one. Now, you, Miss Parker and Doctor Sydney may have been discussing the latest developments but there is a time for that. It's called lunch hour. In the meantime, I'm sure you have a lot of work to do. The Triumvirate wants a full report on everything that Jarod could have done which may have affected the mainframe. Get onto it, Mr Broots." She took her hand off his shoulder and, turning on her heel, left the room.

Corporate, Level 2
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
9:35am May 16, 2000

"I was informed, Miss Parker, that you arrived late to take up your position this morning. If this activity continues, I shall be forced to make a report to the Triumvirate."

The woman and turned stared as Stephanie announced her arrival thus. "You have no jurisdiction over people within Corporate."

Stephanie smiled grimly. "On the contrary, Miss Parker. Your lack of success in the capture of Jarod has suggested to them that perhaps you do not have the best interests of the Centre at heart. For this reason, the three of you are to continue under my supervision until you have proven your loyalty. Is that understood?"

Miss Parker turned and glared fiercely at her but the other woman simply waited until Miss Parker ceased her expression and then turned to leave the room.

"I will see you at midday. You do remember about that meeting, don't you Miss Parker? It is very important that you attend. Your whole future may depend on it."

Stephanie left the room without seeing the expression on Miss Parker's face as she turned and watched the other woman leave the office.

SL-17
The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
11:15am

The three men sat in their cell, their shoulders slumped and faces drawn. They had not slept since their arrest, being too afraid of what the others would do under those circumstances. Also, they had spent most of their time, in between interrogations, arguing about who was to blame for their current situation. Stephanie watched them on the screen for a few moments before entering the cell, accompanied by several sweepers. The prisoners leapt to their feet, but she knew it was out of eagerness to leave and not respect for the position she held.

"What do you want?"

"I am here to remind you of the meeting at midday today. You will need to be well dressed and neatly presented. For this reason, each of you, accompanied by two sweepers, will be taken to the bath and shower facilities and presented with a clean set of clothes."

"And if we refuse?" Stephanie looked at Lyle, who had been arrogant enough to make the statement,

"Then you will come as you are. I don't suppose that it will enhance the Triumvirate's opinions of any of you but, as they are not particularly high at the moment, that probably won't trouble them. It may, however, exacerbate the circumstances in which you may find yourselves in the future. Any other questions?"

"What will happen to our projects?"

Stephanie glanced at Mr Cox. "Your central project has been removed from your care and placed in mine. Your other projects will, no doubt, be assigned to people who, it is felt, will endeavor to complete them."

She turned and walked back to the door, leaving the sweepers in the room with the prisoners but spoke once before she left. "I shall see you all at midday."