Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



The End of Innocence
Prologue : Shadows Fall
Jessica Lonchas





The sky is almost black. Large, dark gray clouds engulf it, threatening to disperse millions of tiny raindrops at any moment. The bleakness of the atmosphere mirrors the mood of most of those who are present. All but one pair of eyes are on the priest as he says a prayer.

The girl cannot take her eyes off of the casket that lays only a few feet before her. It's a deep mahogany with gold clasps on the side. The lid has been sealed shut, hiding away the person inside of it from the daylight forever. Tears cloud her vision and her hand tightens around that of the woman beside her. She feels a gentle squeeze and turns her eyes to the woman.

The woman's face is expressionless, except for her eyes. Deep blue vessels, that are said to show the soul, reflect pain and loss of unimaginable proportion. They close and the girl feels another gentle squeeze. She gently squeezes the woman's hand and then turns her gaze back to the casket. Slowly, it begins to be lowered into the ground. "No." The child breaks free from the woman's grip and moves towards it.

Two arms envelop her and stop her from reaching the casket. She tries to break free and join the person in the ground. Turning, she sees that it's the same woman. The girl clings to the woman and begins to sob. "Daddy, no . . . please don't leave me," Turning her tear stained face up to look at the woman, she asks, "Why did he leave me? Why did he die, Miss Parker? Why?"

"I don't know . . ." the woman whispers, hugging the girl closer to her. "I don't know."

Her gaze shifts to that of the headstone.

R. L. BROOTS
A Loving Father
and a Loyal Friend
December 7, 2000


And her tears began to fall.



Feedback please : roguexvi@yahoo.com