Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


 

Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 8

Jarod stood back up and walked over to the window. Opening it up, he stared down at the ground. Shaking his head in disappointment, he turned back around. "Do you think she snuck out to go see this guy?" he asked.

Miss Parker stood back up. "Yes I do. She did it out of spite. Now, we just have to find out where she went." Going over to Sarah's desk, she rummaged through the drawers while Jarod pulled out his cell phone trying to call her.

"Damn it," he growled in frustration. "I can't reach her." Looking back out the window he commented, "I can't believe she would do something like this. It's so unlike her. One thing's for sure, when I find this guy he's going to wish he never met Sarah. What would possess this guy to go out with a sixteen year old?"

That was a question Miss Parker was afraid of answering. She had a pretty good idea why this guy was spending so much time with Sarah. He probably thinks she's going to be an easy lay, cause God knows that's what happened to her at that age. Sarah would be an easy target for this frat guy. She was young and naïve to the world. Her parents were in the middle of a divorce; so she would naturally turn to someone who would listen to her, show her that she wasn't alone in this world. That somebody out there cared about her feelings. She just prayed that Sarah wasn't sleeping with this guy.

Coming up empty, Miss Parker slammed the last drawer and plopped down in the desk chair. She watched as Jarod continued to search frantically in the room, looking for any clues when a thought came to her. Looking over at Brandon she asked, "Does your sister have a diary?" She hoped Brandon was a typical younger sibling that liked to search through his brother and sister's things without them knowing.

Brandon looked down at the floor, biting his lower lip. "No, I…I don't know where she keeps her diary," he said softly.

Miss Parker smiled inwardly. Obviously, Brandon knew where it was, but was afraid to say anything because he might get himself in trouble. "Brandon, you won't get in trouble, just tell us where it is. It might help us find Sarah," she explained calmly.

Jarod stopped what he was doing and walked over to Brandon. Kneeling down, he reached out and rested his hands on top of Brandon's shoulders. "Please son, tell us where it is," he pleaded.

When Brandon let his gaze wander back and forth between his parents, Miss Parker could see the battle waging in his eyes. Looking back at Miss Parker with uncertain eyes he finally said, "She…she keeps it taped up behind her headboard."

Since Miss Parker was closest, she got up and went over to the headboard. Reaching behind, she let her hand search around aimlessly until it grazed over the item. Grasping it, she pulled it off the headboard and brought it out. Taking the plastic bag off, she opened it. She skimmed through the book until she found something.

"What did you find?" asked Jarod.

"Brad goes to Winchester College. They're having a frat party tonight." Throwing the book aside she continued, "Jarod, we have to get her. The fraternity this guy is from is known for their extracurricular activities if you catch my drift."

"Let's go," Jarod replied with concern. "Hopefully, we can get there before something bad happens." With that, all three left the room.

XXXXXXX

Jarod and Miss Parker agreed that Brandon shouldn't come along for this trip. They would've asked Broots to watch him, but he actually had a date tonight. Jarod's sister was still in Florida visiting their parents, so she was out of the question. When she brought up her father both Brandon and Jarod were vehemently against it. She could understand Jarod's reasoning, but she was confused by Brandon's reaction to her father. In fact, he sounded almost frightful of the man. They would've asked Sydney, but he lived in Maryland and they just didn't have the time, so that left one person. Lyle.

When Jarod pulled up to the building she still couldn't believe this was what Lyle did for a living. Glancing out the window she saw a sign, but what stood out to her were the words –Reverend Robert Parker-. 'Good grief, Lyle a man of God. Who would've ever guessed,' she thought to herself. Shaking her head, she got out of the car with Brandon. Before she closed the door she heard Jarod say, "Parker, watch out for those old women. It's bingo night."

She scoffed. "Please Jarod, these are old women we're talking about. I think I can handle a few gray haired women who are half my size. Besides, I don't ever recall hearing about bingo being a very rowdy game."

Jarod started laughing. "Whatever you say, Parker. Whatever you say."

Flashing him an annoyed look, she closed the door and walked to the church with Brandon by her side. Before opening the door she asked Brandon, "Are you sure you want to stay with Ly…I mean Robert tonight?"

Brandon's eyes lit up. "Yeah, I want too, Mom. I always have a good time at Uncle Bobby's place. We watch movies, play video games, and eat all kinds of junk food. He's a cool guy." She watched as Brandon stopped talking as a sad look came upon his face. "I just wish Grandpa could see what a good guy he is."

Miss Parker was taken aback by what he said. She would've never dreamed that Lyle and her father would be at odds with each other. "What do you mean by that?" she asked.

Brandon shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know, it's just that whenever we have a family dinner at Grandpa's place he always seems to say mean things to Uncle Bobby. The last dinner was pretty bad. Bobby and Grandpa got into a huge fight, with Bobby leaving and slamming the door. Why does Grandpa have to be such a bully?"

Brandon looked at her intently, expecting her to answer, but truth be told she didn't have one. All she could say was, "I don't know why." Changing the subject she commented, "So, are you ready to go in?"

Brandon nodded his head up and down. "Yeah," he answered excitedly. Opening up the door, they walked in.

When they walked into the bingo hall, it was somewhat quiet as a game was in progress. Miss Parker let her eyes wander the room until they found what they were looking for. She found Lyle in the concession stand with two older women. When he looked up their eyes met and he smiled at her, waving his hand for Brandon and her to come over. Feeling a slight panic taking over, she squeezed Brandon's hand, ready to bolt from the room. She looked around frantically, expecting everyone in the room to stop what they were doing and pull out guns, pointing them at her and her son.

"Mom, you're hurting my hand," Brandon commented with discomfort, as he tried to free his hand from his mother's grasp.

Miss Parker gave him a dumbfounded look. "What?"

Raising his eyebrows at her he replied, "My hand."

After a few seconds, Miss Parker reluctantly let go of his hand. "I'm sorry, sweetie. I…I just got lost in my thoughts."

Brandon rubbed his hand, giving her a quizzical look. "What's the matter? You looked spooked or something."

She looked back towards the concession stand seeing Lyle walking towards them. Before she could react fast enough, Brandon ran across the room after Lyle.

"Brandon!" she yelled out softly. The only answer she got in return was cold stares and people saying 'be quiet' from the tables they were playing at. Muttering out apologies, she walked briskly over to Lyle and Brandon, who were hugging each other.

Pulling Brandon away at arm's length, Lyle said, "So kiddo, ready to have a fun time tonight?" When Brandon nodded yes, Lyle stood back up and ruffled his hair. Putting an arm around his nephew's small shoulders he looked over at Miss Parker. "Hey there, sis."

Miss Parker couldn't believe how different her brother was. He actually seemed human for once in his life. The smile he had on his face right now was warm and friendly, instead of cold and calculating. "Lyle," she answered in disbelief.

Lyle and Brandon gave each other confused looks. Letting out a soft chuckle Lyle commented, "Wow, that must've been some spill you took this afternoon if you can't remember your own brother's name." Looking down at Brandon he said, "See, that's what happens when you get old, kiddo. The first thing to go is the mind." Brandon joined in with Lyle's laughter. Noticing the cold glances, Lyle gained back his composure.

Bending down and resting his hands on his knees, Lyle stood eye to eye with Brandon. "Kiddo, intermission will be starting soon, I'm sure Brenda and Thelma could use all the help they need in the concession stand, why don't you go help them?"

"Okay, Uncle Bobby," he answered happily. Turning on his heels, he walked over to the stand as fast as he could, trying to make as little noise as possible.

Once Brandon was inside, Lyle looked back at his sister. "So, tell me how you're really…"

He was interrupted when someone yelled out, "BINGO!" Turning back to his sister he said, "I'll be right back." She watched as he hurried over to the table rattling off numbers. Once the caller said the bingo was good he told everyone to take a fifteen-minute break for intermission. Through the noise and bustle she heard someone shout out, "SHAKE THEM BALLS UP!" Miss Parker couldn't stop herself from laughing at the comment as she watched the small frail lady who yelled it out walk over to her.

"Well, if it isn't one of Catherine's babies," said the old woman. "I heard about your tumble today. Your brother told me that the doctors said you had amnesia. So, tell me sugar, how are you holding up?"

"Um, I'm doing fine ma'am," she answered back, having no idea who this woman was.

Seconds later, Lyle came back over. "Mrs. Sanders, I see you found my sister."

"Of course I did, Reverend. I may be old, but I'm not blind." Looking back over at Miss Parker she asked, "So how's your family holding up?"

"As well as can be expected," she sighed.

Mrs. Sanders reached out, giving her a reassuring pat on the arm. "Well honey, I'm sure you and Jarod will work your problems out. You know, the divorce isn't final, so there's still hope."

"I don't know about that," she replied back with a lack of confidence.

"It's a shame really. There's so much love between the two of you, and personally I think it's still there, as much as you try to ignore it, it's still there," Mrs. Sanders stated matter-of-factly.

Seeing his sister becoming uncomfortable with the topic at hand, Lyle intervened. "Mrs. Sanders, where's your husband at? Does he realize what he's missing here?" he joked.

Mrs. Sanders rolled her eyes at him. "Please, that old fart said he would rather be caught dead than be in a place like this. He says it's a woman's game, but to tell you the truth that's just fine with me. It gives me a chance to spend some time with the girls." Changing the subject she asked, "So Robert, have you been seeing anyone special lately?"

Miss Parker couldn't stop the grin that appeared on her face as she watched Lyle squirm. "No, I haven't. I just don't have the time," he replied back.

Mrs. Sanders shook her head. "That's nonsense. A good looking man like you should be married and starting a family of your own." She paused, looking over at Miss Parker, "Am I right?"

She looked over at Lyle who was begging her with his eyes not to answer. "You know what, I think you're right, Mrs. Sanders."

"See, even your sister agrees with me. You know, my granddaughter isn't seeing anyone right now, maybe I can fix you up with her," she suggested.

Lyle gave her a weak smile. "As tempting as that sounds, I'm afraid I will have to pass. I really just don't have the time, but thanks for the offer."

Mrs. Sanders smiled at him. "Well, it doesn't hurt to ask. And in case you change your mind, the offer still stands." Looking over Miss Parker's shoulder, she said, "Well, I let you two go since one of the girls needs me to help her with the food. See ya." With that, the lady was gone.

"She's some piece of work," commented Miss Parker.

Lyle watched as Mrs. Sanders walked over to the table. "Yeah, she is. I can't believe you agreed with her about the family thing," he replied light heartily.

Miss Parker quirked an eyebrow at him. "Why are you so defensive about the family issue?"

"I rather not talk about it," he answered defensively. "Well, you better get going before Jarod sends in a search party." She was about to turn around and go when Lyle grabbed her arm. "I do hope everything's okay with you." She was stunned by Lyle's next move as he reached out and embraced her. "No matter what Dad says Jarod is a good guy. I know you'll both find your way back again." He paused an added, "I love you, sis. Remember, I'll always be here for you, no matter what." Letting go of her, he smiled warmly at her and waved good-bye as he went back to the concession stand. Still being in a trance like state, she waved back and walked out the door.

Going down the stairs two at time, she jogged over to Jarod's car and got in. "Is everything okay," asked Jarod.

Miss Parker pondered the question. Was everything okay? No, it wasn't. Everything was just so surreal here. She would've never guessed in her wildest dreams that Lyle would show so much concern for her. It just boggled her mind. Looking over at Jarod she lied, "Yes, everything is fine. Let's go find our daughter." Keeping his eyes on her a few seconds longer, Jarod shrugged his shoulders and turned on the car, driving out of the parking lot with one destination in mind; Winchester College.

XXXXXXXX

After three hours of fretful searching they still couldn't find Sarah anywhere. They didn't just go to Brad's fraternity house; they also went to the ones that lined the street. They barged through the doors, showing Sarah's picture to anyone, but no one knew who she was. Feeling defeated, they got back into the car and headed back too Blue Cove.

Turning onto the street that used to be their house, Miss Parker glanced at the clock on the dashboard. The green glowing lights read 12:06 am. "Jarod, that daughter of yours better be in the house when we pull into the driveway, or I'm afraid World War III will begin tonight," she stated evenly.

Jarod gave her an amused look. "Oh, I see, so when she does something bad she's my daughter."

Miss Parker glared at him. "You know what, I'm glad you find this all funny, because I don't. Look at what she has done these past four hours. Here we are, out looking for her, and she's probably at home talking on the phone, eating ice cream. When I'm through with her, she'll wish she never heard the word grounded."

Reaching over, Jarod grabbed her hand. She tried to pull it away, but Jarod held it firmly. "You need to calm down, okay? You don't want to say something you'll later regret in the heat of the moment."

Miss Parker didn't say anything, only giving Jarod a quick nod. When Jarod's gaze fell back on the road, she looked down at their entwined hands. Who knew Pez head could give her so much comfort by holding her hand? Glancing over at Jarod, she could see he was worried as much as she was, but was trying to be strong for her.

"Jarod?"

"Hmm."

"Thank you," she said softly.

Jarod looked over at her, giving her a bewildered look. "Why are thanking me for?"

"Just…just for being you." Feeling somewhat embarrassed, she turned her head away staring out the passenger side window.

Jarod smiled at her words. He knew he would never stop loving her, no matter what. Giving her hand a reassuring squeeze, he reluctantly let go. He knew she was going to ask questions, especially about her mother and father, and that was a road he didn't want to go down. However, as much as he wanted to ignore the inevitable he knew it was coming. He was broken from his thoughts when Parker sat up in the passenger seat, resting her palms on the dashboard. "What is it?"

"Look over there." He followed her pointing finger. "It's past midnight, yet there's a car running."

"Maybe someone works the third shift or something, and they're warming up their car," he answered.

"Jarod, turn off the headlights and pull up behind it," she ordered.

He gave her an astonished look. "Are you kidding me?" When she glared at him, he knew she wasn't. Pulling up behind, he turned off the car. "Mind telling me what the hell is going on?"

"Let's just say that if I snuck out, I would make sure that the person who picked me up and dropped me off would do it at the end of the street." Miss Parker smiled triumphantly as she read the bumper sticker on the back of the car. "Winchester College," she said under her breath.

"What?" asked Jarod with irritation.

Miss Parker waved her hand in the air towards the car. "The bumper sticker says Winchester College." Then realization sat in as she noticed the windows on the other car were fogged up. "Son of a bitch." Not waiting for Jarod, she quickly got out of the car and ran to the black car in front of her. Opening up the passenger side door, she found Sarah and Brad sitting in the front seat making out. Both broke apart when they noticed the door was open. Sarah looked at her mother with horror an embarrassment.

"M…Mom…what are you doing here?" Sarah asked with fear.

"Get out of the car, right now," she demanded through clenched teeth.

"But…"

Miss Parker leaned in more closely to Sarah. "Don't argue with me on this. When I say get out I mean get out. Now is not the time to test me. You've got three seconds to get out before I yank you out."

When Sarah got out, Miss Parker glanced over at Brad who had a smug smile on his face. "You, stay away from her," she hissed out. Before Brad could say anything, the driver's side door flew open as Jarod yanked him out, slamming him against the car over and over again. Miss Parker quickly ran over separating Jarod and Brad.

"Jarod, you need to take your own advice and calm down."

Straitening up, Brad commented, "Well, I can see who where's the pants in this family." Jarod was about to charge over again, but Miss Parker stepped in his way.

"Jarod, go back to the car and wait for me. I'll be there shortly. Brad an I are just going to have a nice little chat." Jarod didn't move as he continued to stare daggers at Brad.

"This is my daughter also. I won't be shut out of this," Jarod said with determination.

Deciding not to fight Jarod on this, she turned back around. "Stay away from our daughter, you got that? If I catch you anywhere near her I'll have your sorry ass thrown in jail for statutory rape."

Brad let out a sarcastic chuckle. "Please, you won't get me for statutory rape. I'm sorry to break this to you, but we haven't slept together." He paused, tilting his head to the side. "But, if you want, the next time I go out with your daughter I'll make sure to show her a real good time if you know what I mean."

"You bastard!" Jarod hissed, as he took a few steps closer. Pointing his finger at Brad he commented, "In case you don't know, I'm a lawyer. Believe me, if I want too, I'll get you for something. Just press your luck and see what happens."

Brad gave him a smug smile as he dug into his pocket. On instinct, Miss Parker reached behind her back to get her gun, but of course nothing was there. She watched as Brad took out a cigarette and lit it. Miss Parker just shook her head in disgust. "You know, you two can't keep me away from Sarah. If she wants too, she'll find a way to see me. You can't watch her 24/7."

When he took another drag from his cigarette, Miss Parker reached up and snatched it out of his mouth, throwing it to the side. "Bitch! What the hell is the matter with you," Brad growled out. Rage radiating from him, he took a step closer to Miss Parker who seemed unfazed by his demeanor.

"Listen here little boy, and listen good. You know what, you're probably right. My daughter will probably try to see you again, but you know what, I'll be on her like bees on honey. If she does see you again you better pray you don't ever make her cry. See, that's a cardinal rule with me, you make my daughter cry I'll make you cry, got it?"

"Whatever lady," Brad said with a flippant tone, as he turned around and made his way to the car. However, Miss Parker wasn't done yet as she grabbed him by the collar, pushing him up against the car.

"I'm not finished yet. If you do make her cry, oh you'll be in world of hurt. If this does happen, then I'm afraid I'll have to introduce you to my two pals known as Smith and Wesson," she said light heartily. Brad rolled his eyes giving her a bored look. Without warning, she tugged on his collar bringing his face within inches of own. "And if they do come out, you better pray they don't put a cap in your ass," she growled out.

Brad gave her an amused look. "Is that a threat lady?"

Miss Parker roughly pushed him back. "Call it what you will, but remember this, I don't make empty threats." With one more slam against the car, she walked back over to Jarod's car and got in.

As Jarod watched her close the door, he gave Brad a disgusted look. "Remember, stay away from my daughter," Jarod warned, before walking back to his car.

When the car drove past Brad he said to himself, "Try as you might, you won't keep me away from her." Taking a deep breath, he got in his black Mustang and peeled out of the neighborhood.

XXXXXXXX

To Be Continued…