Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first chapter.

 

Chapter 5

 

Broots smiled at her.  “So, you want to know how Jarod and you became more than just friends, huh?

 

Miss Parker flashed him an irritated look.  “Broots, would you just spill it?”

 

“Okay, okay.”  Taking another sip of coffee he continued, “Well, it was our last year of college…”

 

XXXXXXX

 

It was Valentine’s Day.  A day that Jarod dreaded because once again he had no one to share it with, but he was hoping to change that by the end of the day.  Of course, he could have his pick of any women, but there was only one who had their name stamped on his heart.  Parker.  They have been best friends for the past twelve years, and now he was willing to put that friendship on the line for love.

 

The past year had been a tough one for Parker.  Last March, she found her mother dead from an apparent drug overdose.  It was spring break.  Instead of going to the usual college hot spots for that time of the year, she decided to go home and visit her mother.  The marriage between the elder Parkers was on the rocks.  It was obvious that Mrs. Parker was ready to leave her husband.  The last time Parker called her mother was the day before she left Princeton University.   Jarod remembered Parker telling him about how her mother sounded.  Parker said she sounded lost, confused, and somewhat scared, which frightened Parker only more. 

 

Jarod, Broots, Timmy, Bobby, and Kyle had planned to go to Vegas for spring break.  It would be just the guys.  Before he left for the airport Jarod asked her if she wanted him to come with her.  Of course, she said no, saying he needed to spend some time with the guys for a change.  When the car pulled away from the curb, he knew he should’ve listened to his instincts and went with her instead of going to Vegas.  When they got into their hotel rooms, the phone started to ring.  Since Bobby was the closest he picked it up. 

 

While the other three unpacked their bags and suitcases, Jarod watched Bobby intently.  The huge grin that was once on Bobby’s face quickly vanished as he listened to the news on the other end.  A few seconds later, Bobby dropped the phone as he sat down on the bed, shocked by what he heard.

 

Jarod quickly rushed over an asked, “Bobby what’s wrong?  Did something bad happen?”  Of course, Jarod knew the answer to his questions when Bobby stared up at him with tear filled eyes.

 

“She…she’s dead Jarod,” Bobby stated sadly as a few tears ran down his cheeks. 

 

Jarod sat down on the bed across from him, trying to comprehend his words.  “Who’s dead, Bobby?”

 

Jarod watched as Bobby quickly shook his head from side to side, trying to gather his composure, but it seemed to be useless, as more tears fell down his face.  “I need some air, some space.”  Before Jarod could get any more answers, Bobby quickly shot up and ran out the door. 

 

Hearing a sound come from the telephone, Jarod quickly signaled the other guys to go after Bobby.  Picking up the receiver he took a deep breath an asked, “Hello?”  No answer.  He could only hear low muffled cries coming from the other end.  Feeling fear creeping through his body, he gripped the phone more tightly.            

 

 

“Who’s there?  What the hell is going on?”  Still no answer.  Becoming frustrated he shouted into the phone, “Damnit, answer me!”

 

“Jarod…”  The voice was low, barely audible, but there was no mistaken it.  It was Parker.

 

All the air in Jarod’s lungs escaped his body.  “What happened?” he asked with concern.

 

There was a long pause before she answered.  “She…she’s dead,” she replied hoarsely through the tears.

 

Jarod’s breath caught in his throat. “Who’s dead?” he asked with fear.

 

“My mother, Jarod.  She’s dead.  I…I found her in bed.  I thought she was sleeping, but as I got closer I saw the empty pill bottle clutched in her hand.”  She stopped as she started sobbing into the phone.

 

He was at a loss for words.  All Jarod could say was, “I’m sorry, Parker.  Is there anything I can do?”

 

“Ca…can you accompany Bobby home?  I don’t want him being by himself right now,” she asked softly.

 

“I’ll do whatever you need me to do.”  Getting up, he started pacing back and forth.  “What about you?  Is there someone there with you now?”

 

“My father is stuck in London right now, but he’s trying to get home.  I called Sydney.  He’s here with me.  He wanted to call Bobby and break the news to him, but I thought it would be better coming from me.”  There was a pause as she tried to keep the tears at bay.  “Jarod, what am I going to do without her?” she asked with a lost voice.

 

Jarod’s heart went out to her.  He would give anything to be with her right now and hold her in his arms, trying to take her pain away.  Taking a deep breath he replied, “I truly don’t know.  I couldn’t even imagine the pain you’re going through right now.  I know this might sound cliché, but time will ease the pain.”

 

“No amount of time will ease the pain that’s in my heart right now.  I feel like a part of me died with her.”  Jarod could hear her starting to weep again.  “Please, just come home.”  He was then greeted with a dial tone.  Pulling the phone from his ear, he put it back in its cradle.

 

Jarod still couldn’t believe all the people that came to the funeral.  Catherine Parker was truly a special person.  She touched so many lives.  Jarod never left Parker’s side during those three days of mourning.  How she found the strength to get through it, he would never know?  Hearing a knock on the door, Jarod was broken from his thoughts.  Looking in the mirror by the door, he checked his hair.  Satisfied with his appearance, he let out a deep breath and opened the door.

 

“What took you so long?  I was about to call out the cavalry for you,” said Parker playfully.

 

“I uh…um got held up on the phone.”  Reaching out, he grabbed the pizza box she was holding and stepped aside for her to come in.  Following her to the kitchen, he put the box down on the counter and got some plates out.

 

Opening up the refrigerator, she reached in and grabbed two bottles of beer.  Handing one to Jarod, she jumped up on the counter across from him.  “So, who were you talking with?” she asked curiously.

 

Jarod could feel his cheeks becoming flushed.  Feeling embarrassed, he turned around and started cutting the pizza.  “No one you would know,” he lied.  Jarod regretted it once the words came out of his mouth.  He knew Parker wouldn’t drop it.  Curiosity always got the best of her.

 

Turning back around, he found a mischievous smile grace her lips.  “Hmm, Jarod being tight lipped about a phone call.  Was it someone of the opposite sex you were talking too?” she teased.

 

“Why can’t you drop it, Parker,” he whined, as he took their plates and walked over to the couch.  Setting the plates down on the table, he reached for the remote and turned on the television set. 

 

Parker sat down beside him, snatching the remote from him.  Pushing the mute button, she set the remote back down on the table.  With more seriousness she asked, “Really Jarod, who were you talking too?”

 

           

Jarod let out an exasperated sigh.  “It’s no one you would know.”

 

Parker leaned back into the couch, taking a sip of her beer.  “Ah, so it’s a mystery woman.  You must really like her if you’re not talking to me about her.”

 

Jarod didn’t answer her. Leaning forward, he started eating his pizza.  There were so many things he wanted to tell her, but he just couldn’t seem to get the words out. 

 

“So, who is she?” she asked.

 

Jarod smiled to himself.  If he weren’t mistaken, she sounded somewhat jealous.  Turning around, he looked at her.  “Why Miss Parker, you sound somewhat jealous,” he replied with a mock southern accent.

 

Parker just rolled her eyes at him.  “Please, what do I have to be jealous about?  I need to know who she is so I can warn her about you.”

 

Laughing, Jarod leaned back in the couch.  “And what would you tell this mystery woman?”

 

Turning sideways, Parker rested her arm on the back of the couch, with her head on her hand.  “Well, I’ll tell her how you like to call people at ungodly hours just to tease them and make their lives miserable.  My, won’t she love hearing that,” she said jokingly.

 

Jarod feigned shock.  “What?  You mean you don’t like hearing the sound of my voice late at night?”

 

Parker started laughing.  “What’s there to like?  Besides, who wants to go out with you?”

 

“Hey, I’m a pretty good catch.  Women think I’m quite a stud,” he replied playfully.

 

“Were these women intoxicated when they told you this?”

 

Jarod joined in with her laughter.  “Well, maybe some.”

 

Shaking her head, Parker got up.  “You’re hopeless, Jarod.”  Turning around she headed back into the kitchen.

 

Watching her retreating form, Jarod commented to himself, “Yeah, I’m hopeless, hopelessly in love with you.”  He wanted to tell her how he felt about her, but the words always seemed to get caught in his throat.  Looking back up, he saw her walking out of the kitchen with some napkins in her hands.  Handing one to him, she sat back down on the seat she vacated.

 

“So, what movies did you rent?”

 

The movies.  He forgot to get those.  “Uh, you’re not going to believe this, but I forgot to stop at the video store,” he answered with embarrassment.

 

Parker gave him a strange look.  “Hell must’ve frozen over, Jarod.  You never forget anything.”  Grabbing a slice of pizza, she took a bite.  “You must be head over heels for this mystery woman.”

 

Running his hand through his hair, he muttered under his breath, “You have no idea.”

 

“Hmm?”

           

“Oh, uh nothing.”  Standing up, he grabbed his car keys.  “I can still get the movies, if you want?”

 

Parker gave him a reassuring smile.  “Jarod, it’s okay.  Besides, the weather is starting to get real bad outside.  While driving over here, they said the county was under a winter storm warning.  They’re predicting freezing rain, sleet, and a foot of snow by daybreak.  There’s no point in risking your neck for a couple of movies.”

 

Jarod walked over to the window to look outside.  He could see the snow coming down in such intensity, that it was almost blinding.  Letting his gaze fall back on Parker he commented, “Maybe you’re right.”

 

“Well duh.  Of course I’m always right.  Haven’t you learned that by now,” she said teasingly.  “Why don’t we just relax and watch some TV.”

 

Letting out a soft chuckle, Jarod walked back over and plopped down on the couch next to her.  Reaching for the remote, he channel surfed through the channels.  Once he found a show, he leaned back into the cushions, throwing the remote on the table.  He let out a soft gasp when Parker snuggled up to him, draping her left arm around his waist, while resting her head in the crook of his neck. 

 

“Jarod?”

 

“Yeah,” he answered softly.

 

“I’m glad we’re spending Valentine’s Day together.  I’m sure you would rather be spending the day with your mystery woman instead of me.”  Looking up at him with tear filled eyes she said, “I just want to say thank you for being here for me this past year.  I know I don’t say it enough, but you’re a true friend and a special guy.  Any girl would be lucky to have you as a boyfriend.”  Resting her head on his chest she continued, “Jarod, if you really like this girl you should tell her, because if you don’t, you’ll regret it the rest of your life.”

 

Jarod looked down at this beautiful, amazing woman sitting beside him.  In his heart, he knew she was the only woman for him.  This was the woman he was going to marry and have children with.  This was the only woman he ever wanted to call his wife and grow old with.  The realization hit him like a semi truck.  Seeing a stray tear run down her cheek, he wiped it away with his thumb.  Lifting up his arm, he wrapped it around her shoulders, pulling her more closely to him.  Bending his head down, he placed a gentle kiss on top of her head.  “Parker, I…I don’t…know how to say this.”  Jarod stopped because he felt like an idiot.  He couldn’t put a coherent sentence together.

 

Parker looked back up at him.  “Say what?”

 

Jarod could feel his heart beating faster.  Just say it you idiot, he thought to himself.  “I l…lo…I l…like that shirt your wearing,” he said rapidly.

 

Parker gave him a strange look.  “Uh, thank you, Jarod.  I think,” she replied with confusion.

 

Why did he say that?  God, he was such an idiot.  How hard was it to say ‘I love you.’  A five year old would sound better than he just did.  Getting up quickly, he headed straight for the bathroom.  Closing his eyes, he pounded the palm of his hand against his forehead while saying, “Stupid, stupid, stupid.”  Putting the toilet seat down, he sat down, covering his face with his hands.

 

He’d run this scenario so many times in his head, yet why couldn’t he do it?  He knew the reason why, because he was afraid of being rejected.  It was such a scary step.  Once he uttered those three words, everything would change between them.  What happens if for some reason it didn’t work out, would they still be friends?  That was his biggest fear, losing her forever.  Never having her in his life again scared him shitless.  Standing back up on wobbly legs, he made up his mind.  Taking a deep breath, he opened up the door.  He took a step back, not expecting Parker to be standing there.

 

“Jarod, are you okay?’ she asked with worry.  “You don’t look to good.”

 

Jarod meekly nodded at her.  “Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes, I’m fine,” he answered softly.

 

Parker stared at him a few more seconds before turning back around and grabbing her coat.

 

“Why are you leaving for?” he asked.

 

“Jarod, you’re sick.  You need to get some rest.”  Grabbing his elbow she steered him to the couch.  “Now lie down and get some sleep.”

 

“No.”

 

Parker gave him an annoyed look as she tried to push him down on the couch, but he wouldn’t budge.  “Why do you have to be so damn stubborn for?”

 

“Parker, I’m not sick.  I’m nervous and scared right now,” he replied, as he held her hands in his.

 

Still keeping her eyes on him, she sat down beside him, with their hands entangled together.  “Jarod, you’re scaring me.  Tell me what’s wrong?”

 

Jarod looked down at their hands than back up to her face.  “I’m sorry.  I don’t mean to scare you; it’s just that there is something I need to say to you.” 

 

“Is it good news or bad news?” she asked with dread.

 

Jarod smiled at her.  “I don’t know about you, but I consider it good news.”  This was it.  Taking a deep breath, he looked straight into her eyes.  “Parker, I…I love you.”

 

Parker let out a sigh of relief.  “I love you too, Jarod, but why are you acting like a goofball for.”

 

Jarod shook his head.  “No, you don’t understand.  I’m in love with you.”  Parker gave him a gaping look, eyes wide with shock.  Becoming uncomfortable with the silence, Jarod chimed in, “Parker, I don’t mean to be pushy, but please say something.  I mean, if you…”  Parker hushed Jarod, as she laid her fingers on his lips.  Looking up into her beautiful blue eyes, he could see her eyes becoming watery with silent tears.  Now he was starting to feel guilty.  The last thing he wanted to do was make her cry.

 

“Jarod…”  More tears came out of her eyes.  Trying to shake the tears away, she got up and stood in front of the window, looking out at the winter wonderland that now covered everything in a blanket of white.  Crossing her arms in front of her she said, “Jarod, you don’t know what you’re saying.”

 

Jarod got up and stood behind her.  “I do know what I’m saying.  I do, with all my heart, love you.  This is no joke.  You’ve seen the way I’ve been acting lately.  Every time I’m around you my heart starts beating faster, my palms become sweaty, I get butterflies in my stomach, or my mouth becomes dry.  I see your face wherever I go.  Please, look at me,” he pleaded.

 

Parker slowly turned around with her head hung low.  Taking a deep breath, Jarod lifted her chin up, and cupped her face in his hands.  “If you don’t feel the same way I do, I’ll understand, but this was something I had to say to you.   I couldn’t sit on the sidelines an always wonder what could’ve been.  However, always remember this, no matter what you say right now, I’ll always be there for you,” he said gently.  “If you want to stay friends, I’ll understand.  It may be hard for me at the beginning, but I’ll just have to try my best.  I just don’t want to lose you over this.”

 

He watched as Parker closed her eyes, and rested her hands on top of his.  Gaining some composure back, she opened up her eyes again.  Pulling her left hand away from atop of his, she cupped the side of his face, looking into his eyes adorningly.  “Jarod, I do love you, with all my heart and soul,” she replied in a low whisper.  “This is such a huge turning point for us.  If we do this, everything will change for us.  There’s no going back to what we use to be?”

 

“I know.  I’m scared too, but we can’t deny what’s in our hearts.”

 

Parker couldn’t stop the grin that slowly came upon her face.  Wrapping her arms around his neck she commented, “Are you sure you’re man enough to deal with the likes of me?  Just to let you know, I’m not a pretty sight in the mornings.”

 

Jarod smiled down at her, wrapping his arms around her waist.  “I think I’m up for the challenge.”

 

“Well, actions speak louder than words,” she challenged.  Pulling his face down to hers she kissed him for the second time in their lives.  When they pulled back for air, she turned around in Jarod’s arms and stared out the window, resting her head on his chest.

 

With his arms wrapped around her, he rested his chin on her shoulder.  Whispering in her ear he said, “This is where we belong, in each others arms.”

 

XXXXXXX

 

“What happened after that?” asked Miss Parker.

 

Broots smiled at her.  “Well, I got stuck at Timmy’s place due to the snowstorm.  When I came back the next day, I found the both of you on the couch sleeping.  The TV was still on so I assumed you two fell asleep in each other’s arms.  I don’t think any hanky panky went on that night.”

 

Miss Parker felt her cheeks becoming flushed.  She would’ve never dreamed of having this kind of conversation with Broots.  Taking a sip of her coffee she asked, “So, tell me about everyone else.

 

After two hours of talking with Broots, they headed back home.  She still couldn’t believe what she heard.  Sydney was a good friend of her mother’s.  They met each other at the hospital Jacob worked at in Blue Cove.  Her mother was one of the volunteers that helped out, while Jacob was a psychologist who worked there.  Sydney and Catherine met on one of the elevators when Syd went to go visit Jacob.  As for Sydney, he was a psychology professor at the University of Maryland, and was married to Michelle.   They had one child named Nicholas, who was expecting his first child any day now.  Both Sydney and Michelle lived near the campus of Maryland, but Broots said every now and then they always come to visit Jarod and her.  Most times, it was just Sydney who visited.

 

As for Sam, he was married and had two sons.  He was the police chief of the Blue Cove police force.  Broots told her that one of his sons was Josh and Sarah’s age, while the other one was nineteen.  Broots told her that the oldest one was in the marines, who were sent out to Afghanistan only two months ago.  Broots said that Sam and his wife had been very worried about him because they hadn’t heard anything from him in the past month.  Now, with tensions heating up in Iraq, Sam was afraid they might send him there to fight.

 

As for Broots and Angelo, or Timmy as he was known here, they met her and Jarod their freshmen year at college.  However, Timmy was not the same person as he was in college.

 

A couple of weeks before Brandon was born; Timmy was in a car accident, along with Kyle and Lyle, or Robert, as he was known here.  All three of them went up to Sydney’s cabin to go fishing for the weekend.  Before coming home, they had been drinking.  Thinking he could handle driving, Robert got behind the wheel, it would be a mistake that would haunt him the rest of his life.

 

Coming around a curve to fast, Robert lost control and rolled down an embankment.  Timmy suffered severe head trauma.  There was nothing the doctors could do to reverse his condition.  For the past ten years, Timmy has been living at a mental care facility.

 

As for Kyle, the news was more tragic.  Since he didn’t have his seatbelt on, he flew through the windshield, killing him instantly.  Broots told her that till this day, Robert and Jarod have never mended their friendship.  Both Jarod and Emily still blamed Robert for their brother’s death.  It seemed history had a sick way of repeating itself in this life also.

 

As for her brother, Broots told her that Robert was engaged to Jarod’s sister, Emily, but she broke it off after the car accident.  Broots told her that Robert was somewhat lucky; the only thing he lost in the accident was his left thumb, which got severed off.  What shocked her the most was Robert’s profession.  She would’ve never guessed that in a million years for her brother.

 

When Broots pulled into his driveway she thanked him for taking the time to explain things to her.  “Broots, why don’t you come over with me?” she suggested.

 

“I can’t.  I have to take Debbie over to her mother’s house for the weekend, but thanks for the offer.”  He paused, looking at her house across the street.  “Listen, I know you’re scared when it comes to your kids, but in their eyes you can’t do anything wrong.  They’ll love you no matter what.”

 

“I hope you’re right, Broots,” she sighed.  Glancing over at him she asked, “Tell me a little about them.”

 

“Well, the twins are juniors in high school, right along with Debbie.  Brandon is ten, and in the fifth grade.  I will say this; all three of your kids are exceptionally smart.  Sarah has the highest GPA in her class, followed closely by her brother.  They could’ve moved up a couple of grades, but Jarod and you decided to have them stay with kids their own age.

 

As for Josh, he’s the star quarterback on his football team.  He already has scouts looking at him.  He’s a very serious boy.  I don’t know, maybe he suffers from that older child mentality, always having to set a good example for people younger than him.  But, he’s a good kid.  Very responsible, has a good head on his shoulders.  Family is the most important thing to him, so he’s very protective, especially with Jarod gone.  With his absence, I believe he feels he has to be the man of the house, and look out for all of you.  As for Brandon, he follows him wherever he goes, always looking up to him.

 

Sarah is your wild child I guess you can say.  She has a mouth on her and will speak her mind.  You two were very close until the separation.  In a way she felt that you gave up on Jarod, when you sided with your father.”

 

“My father?  What does he have to with this?” she asked.

 

“I don’t really know all the details.  I think it’s better if you talk with Jarod.  As for Brandon, he’s completely different from the other two.  He’s very quiet and soft spoken.  The kids around here like to pick on him because he’s the smartest kid in the class, plus one of the smallest.  It’s sad because he’s a really good kid.  The kids at school like to call him a momma’s boy, because whenever he’s about to get pounded on you’re right there to stop it.  Out of all your kids, you seem to worry about him the most.”

 

Parker leaned on the car, closing her eyes.  How was she going to be a mother to these three kids?  She could barely take care of herself.  Pushing herself off the car, she took a deep breath and walked across the street to her house.  Before she made it to her house she heard Broots yell out, “Can you tell Debbie to come home?”  Waving her hand to him, she walked up to the house.

 

When she got on the porch she could hear the TV blaring from one of the rooms.  Stepping aside, she looked through the window.  Staring into the living room she found Brandon lying on his stomach with his head propped up on his elbows, watching a cartoon on TV.  Over in the corner she saw Sarah sitting on a plush chair, talking on the telephone with her legs dangling over the armrest.  She watched as Sarah laughed into the phone while twirling her hair with her finger.  She was obviously talking to a boy.  ‘Great, that’s just what I need, a boy crazed daughter,’ she thought to herself.  She just prayed she had a talk with her about the birds and the bees.  That was a talk she just wasn’t looking forward to right now.

 

Deciding to have a look around the house, she climbed off the porch and walked to the back.  Stopping by one of the kitchen windows, she found Debbie and Josh goofing around in the kitchen, while doing dishes.  She watched as Josh took some suds out of the sink, flinging them at Debbie.  Of course, Debbie retaliated by doing the same thing.  Both seemed to be having the time of their lives.  Letting out a heavy sigh, she repeated to herself, “I can do this, I can do this.”  Opening up the door, she realized she was no longer a single woman, but a family woman now.

 

XXXXXXX

 

To Be Continued…