Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer:  In first chapter.

 

Chapter 43

 

 

“How’s he doing?” Sarah asked.

 

Closing Brandon’s bedroom door, Miss Parker turned around an answered tiredly, “It took some time, but he’s finally resting now.”  Motioning for Sarah to follow her she asked, “Did Sydney leave already?”  Stopping at the top of the steps, Miss Parker sat down.  Turning sideways so she was facing Sarah, she leaned back against the banister, staring expectantly at the teenage girl.

 

“Yeah, Sydney left about fifteen minutes ago,” Sarah responded back as she followed her mother’s cue and sat down beside her on the top step.  “He said that he would call you sometime tomorrow to see how Brandon’s doing, and to also let you know that you could call him if any problems should arise overnight.”  Leaning back against the wall, Sarah added, “Sydney, also mentioned something about agreeing with your assessment about Brandon’s current state.  Whatever that means…”

 

Even though Sarah had no idea what Sydney was talking about, Miss Parker knew.  When they got Brandon and the rest of the family back to the house, she told Jarod and Sydney that there was no need to hypnotize Brandon for she knew what Brandon’s nightmares were about.  She explained to them what happened that awful April day in 1970, hoping they would have a better understanding of the situation, but all it did was seem to cause more confusion.  She could understand their bewilderment because she herself was also perplexed by Brandon’s nightmares.  How could he dream about something that had nothing to do with his young life?  It just didn’t make sense.

 

“So, where’s your father and Josh at?” questioned Miss Parker.

 

Smiling, Sarah answered, “They’re in the kitchen cooking dinner.”  Laughing, she added, “It’s male bonding at its finest.”

 

Chuckling herself, Miss Parker asked, “Do they know what they’re doing?”

 

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure they do, at least Dad knows.  As for Josh, the jury is still out on him,” Sarah grinned.

 

“Well, that’s good to know,” said Miss Parker, smiling.  Reaching up, she grabbed the railing of the banister and pulled herself up.  “Shall we?” she asked, motioning her hand down the flight of stairs.

 

“Before we go downstairs, we need to have a talk,” Sarah suggested, her demeanor becoming serious.  “There are a few things we need to get out on the table.”

 

Sighing inwardly, Miss Parker reluctantly sat down.  She had a feeling this conversation was going to become very uncomfortable for the both of them, or that Sarah and her would once again start fighting.  At the park, they did seem to find a truce, but that was for Brandon’s sake, but now, she didn’t know where she really stood when it came to Sarah.  Eyeing her warily she asked, “So, what do you want to talk about?”

 

Sarah remained quiet for a few moments before finally blurting out, “What are your intentions with Dad?”

 

“What?”

 

“When Dad took me to the fundraiser earlier today, he seemed really happy.  The only other times I’ve seen him like that were when you two were still together.  He believes there’s a chance with you now, and I really do want to be happy for him…and you, but I can’t help but feel that once you get your memory back, you’ll send him packing once again,” Sarah answered back, looking away from her mother as she stared down at her clasped hands.  “I…I just don’t want to see Dad get hurt again…or you,” she whispered out softly, glancing at Miss Parker.

 

“Sarah…” Miss Parker began softly, “I…it’s just that…”  She tried to find the words to answer Sarah’s question, but everything that floated through her mind just didn’t seem right.   It was never an easy task to express her feelings to strangers, but Sarah needed the truth and Miss Parker would not deny her that.  No matter how uncomfortable she felt about the subject of her and Jarod.  It was still new territory for her, and truth be told, she was scared to talk about such feelings, but she made a vow to herself some years ago that if she ever did have a child, she would never lie to him and her.  No matter what. 

 

So, closing her eyes, she took a deep, cleansing breath and put her trust into something she hadn’t trusted in a long time—her heart.  Opening her eyes, she looked over at Sarah and said, “For a long time, I tried to make myself believe that there was nothing between me and your father.  I was so hurt and angry that I wanted him to feel the same pain that I felt.  As the saying goes ‘misery loves company’, and I’ll admit, I wanted him and everyone else around me to be just as unhappy as I was.”

 

“What did Dad do to make you so angry at him?” questioned Sarah curiously.

 

“Nothing really,” Miss Parker answered truthfully.  “My anger was misguided, and Jarod just became the easy scapegoat for me to use, when in actuality the real person I was angry with was myself.”

 

“How so?”

 

Sighing, she answered, “Every child wants to believe that their parents are essentially good, that they can do no wrong.  However, when you begin to see the ugly truth behind the polished image that a parent has created, your perception of the world begins to change.  If you can’t trust your parents, then who can you trust?  And, that’s why I became so angry with Jarod because he tried to show me, tell me, time and time again that the world I was living in was nothing more than a illusion created by a lonely, little girl that wanted nothing more in life than to be loved by a father who would love her unconditionally with no strings attached.”  Miss Parker paused for a moment as a few tears escaped her eyes.  Quickly swiping them away, she continued.

 

“In some strange way, I’ll always love my father, but the way he treated me, used me over the years is inexcusable…I…”  Miss Parker stopped talking as she felt years of pent up pain and rejection come bubbling up to the surface.  Looking down at her feet, she took a deep, fortifying breath, trying to calm herself down. 

 

The pain she felt moments before slowly began to turn into anger.  Why was she sitting here, crying over someone who was nothing more than a puppet master when it came to her life?  She was such a fool when it came to her father.  He never deserved her loyalty, and, he didn’t deserve her tears.  So, taking a few more deep calming breaths she looked up at Sarah and said truthfully, “Life is to short, and your father and I are tired of playing these stupid little games where no one ever really wins.  So, to answer your question, I do…love your father will all of my heart.  Nothing or no one will ever change that.”

 

Sarah raised her eyebrows.  “Not even Grandpa?”

 

“Especially your grandfather,” Miss Parker answered in a determined tone.  “It’s time that I start living my own life and not the one he created for me.”

 

Looking away from Miss Parker, Sarah stared straight ahead as she pondered her mother’s words.  Miss Parker couldn’t help but be slightly amused as she watched Sarah think things over because it reminded her so much of Jarod.  When Sarah pushed a few strands of hair behind her ear, Miss Parker noticed something on her neck.  Scooting closer to the girl, she reached out, pushing the rest of Sarah’s hair away from her neck.

 

Confused by her mother’s actions, Sarah asked, “What…what are you doing?”

 

Keeping her eyes on Sarah’s neck, Miss Parker shot back, “Sarah, what the hell happened to your neck?”  Letting go of Sarah’s hair, Miss Parker sat back and stared expectantly at the girl.

 

Quickly covering her neck with her hand, Sarah shrugged her shoulders and answered, “It...it’s nothing.  I think it’s from the shirt I was wearing earlier today.  It’s just a rash.  It’s really nothing to worry about.”

 

Miss Parker quirked an eyebrow at the girl.  “Well then, if it’s nothing, then why are you still trying to hide it?” she questioned, referring to Sarah’s hand.

 

“Because…”  Turning away from her mother’s knowing gaze, Sarah looked away.

 

Miss Parker could see the inner turmoil in Sarah’s, glistening eyes.  Something else obviously happened at the park, before the incident with Brandon, but what was it?  Taking another quick glance at Sarah’s neck, Miss Parker could see the slight discoloration of her skin from the bruises that were beginning to form.  Looking up at Sarah’s face once again, Miss Parker could see a few tears running down Sarah’s cheeks.  Feeling this overwhelming sense to comfort the teenage girl, Miss Parker wrapped an arm around Sarah’s shoulders and pulled her close.

 

“Sarah, please tell me what’s wrong?  Let me help you,” Miss Parker pleaded.

 

Resting her head against Miss Parker’s shoulder, Sarah closed her eyes, doing her best to ward off the tears.  “I…I don’t want to talk about it, okay?” Sarah replied back solemnly. 

 

“Sarah, someone obviously tried to hurt you today, and I want to know who,” stated Miss Parker.  When Sarah didn’t answer, Miss Parker decided to work another angle.  “Sarah, if you don’t tell me then I’m going to call Eli to get some answers.”

 

Sarah’s head instantly shot up.  “Why do you have to drag Eli into this when he doesn’t know anything?  I don’t want anyone else to know, so just drop it,” Sarah said angrily, standing up.

 

Standing up also, Miss Parker looked down at the girl and asked, “Know what, Sarah?  What are you hiding?  Are you protecting someone?”  As soon as the last question flew from Miss Parker’s mouth, she had an idea as to who was behind Sarah’s current distress.  Taking a step closer, Miss Parker leaned down and asked, “Did Brad visit you at the park today?”

 

“What?” Sarah questioned with annoyance. 

 

“Did you two have a fight today?  Did he get rough with you?” She asked, staring down at the girl.  Miss Parker had a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach that Brad was the one that did this to Sarah, and if he did, she would make sure he paid for what he did.  No one would be able to save Brad this time.

 

“Why can’t you just drop it?” Sarah pleaded through silent tears.

 

“Sarah…” Miss Parker chided lightly, “…you can’t pretend nothing ever happened.”  Touching her neck, she added, “I mean, you can’t hide behind turtlenecks forever.  Eventually, people would start to notice.”

 

Pushing her hand away, Sarah stared defiantly at Miss Parker.  “Just drop it, and that’s final,” Sarah fumed.  “I don’t need your help, so just leave me alone.”  With that, Sarah turned around and bolted down the stairs.

 

Shaking her head sadly, Miss Parker watched Sarah’s retreating form and whispered out, “Sarah, you need my help more than you realize.  You’re playing a dangerous game with the devil.”

 

XXXXXX

 

To Be Continued…