Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer:  In first chapter.

 

 

Chapter 41

 

 

Eli led Sarah to the area that was sanctioned off to be used as a break area for the students and parents working at the school fundraiser.  Grabbing a couple bottle waters, Eli steered Sarah to a spot where they could have some privacy.  Patting the top of the picnic table, he said, “Hop up here.”

 

Once Sarah was settled on top of the table, she looked into Eli’s eyes and asked, “Why did you help me back there?”

 

“Because, no matter how angry you make me sometimes, I’m still your friend.”  Unscrewing one of the bottled waters, he handed it to her and added, “And, as you know I never turn my back on friends.  No matter what they say or do.”

 

Taking a few gulps from the bottle, Sarah wiped her mouth and said, “But after everything I said to you…”

 

“Its water under the bridge,” he interrupted, waving her off.  “Besides, some of the things you said were true in a way.”

 

“How so?” Sarah questioned.

 

Sighing, Eli sat down beside her.  “Don’t get me wrong, I love Nathan, I mean, he is my older brother, but there’s always been a part of me that was always somewhat jealous of him.”  To ashamed at what he just admitted, he averted his eyes away from her. 

 

Sarah could sense the inner turmoil that was raging within Eli.  This was obviously something that he kept bottled up inside for too long of a time.  She knew he needed to talk about it, so she offered him encouragement to go on by taking his hand in hers, giving him a reassuring squeeze that it was okay to continue.  That she wouldn’t judge him for being human.

 

A stunned expression appeared upon Eli’s face as he looked down at their entwined hands before looking up into her sympathetic, brown eyes.  Glancing back down at her hands he pointed out, “You’re trembling,” trying to change the subject.

 

“Don’t worry about it.  I’ll live.  Now stop avoiding the question and talk.”

 

Shaking his head he said, “I don’t want to talk about it.  I already feel guilty enough as it is.”  Taking his hand away from hers, he jumped off the table and walked over to a tree nearby.  Leaning against it, he stared off into the distance.

 

Hopping off the table, Sarah walked over to Eli, standing beside him.  “Eli, I know you like to give off this laid back, easy going, class clown persona, but I can see the pain that’s in your eyes.”  Looking over at him she said, “You need to talk about this and release this burden that’s eating you alive from the inside and out.”

 

A sardonic chuckle escaped his lips as he plopped down in front of the tree, leaning against it.  “You remember last year when I made the varsity squad for football, and how excited I was?”

 

Smiling, Sarah sat down beside him.  “Yeah, I remember.  I can still remember you running down the hallways at school going nuts.  You couldn’t wait to tell your father the good news—a sophomore starting varsity football.”

 

Smiling sadly, Eli nodded his head and said, “Yeah, it should’ve been good news, but of course, my brother just had to trump it.  Well, as you know September 11th just happened, and emotions were running high in America at the time.  Well, Nathan decided to join the marines.”

 

Throwing the piece of grass to the side he continued, “I can still remember busting through the house, ready to tell my parents, especially my father the good news…Of course, things didn’t go that way.  My father was so proud of my brother that I decided to not even bother with telling him my good news because Nathan and he were already in their own little world, discussing Nathan’s new life.”

 

Gazing at Sarah with glistening eyes he said, “So, guess what I did?  Feeling pissed off at my brother’s limelight I vowed silently to myself that something bad would happen to him in case he was ever shipped off somewhere.  Don’t get me wrong…I…I didn’t want him to die or anything like that.  I just wanted him to feel the same pain I felt standing in that living room watching him and Dad bond over his good fortune.”  Looking away from her he said sadly, “I just for once would like to go to baseball game or camping with my father, just me and him, just like he does with Nathan.”

 

“You need to tell your father these things, Eli.  He needs to know.  How can he fix something if he doesn’t know it’s even broken,” Sarah suggested softly, turning his face towards hers.

 

A few tears trickled down Eli’s cheeks, which he quickly wiped away.  “It’s no use telling my Dad these things now.  He’s not the same guy anymore.  He’s been so distant, so withdrawn since we found out about Nathan’s MIA status in Afghanistan.  He throws himself into work, working these ungodly hours, and when he does come home he’s like a zombie.  The only time we ever do actually talk is when he berates for me things I’ve done wrong, never when I do something positive.”  Grabbing a small stick nearby, he threw it down the hill angrily.

 

“What does your Mom have to say about everything?” Sarah asked.

 

 

“God, if it wasn’t for my Mom I probably would’ve gone crazy by now.  She has to be the neutral party between me and my father, but I know she’s hurting too, and it makes me angry that my Dad doesn’t see it,” Eli spat out as he jumped to his feet.  Digging his hands into his pockets he continued, “My Dad needs to realize that he’s not the only one affected by Nathan’s disappearance.  We all are.”

 

Lifting herself off the ground, Sarah looked up into Eli’s eyes and replied back, “E, maybe your father is just doing what he does best, and that’s putting on a brave face…for you, for your mother, and for himself.”  Looking out across the land she said, “You know, in all the years I’ve known your father, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him cry.”

 

Eli sighed heavily.  “I know, neither have I.”  They remained silent for a few moments before Eli spoke up again.  “Thanks Sarah, for just…you know…for just being here and listening.”

 

“It’s no problem,” she smiled.  “It’s the least I can do for what you did for me back there with Brad.”

 

Turning towards her, he took a step closer to her.  “Sarah, be straight with me, how are you really doing?”

 

Averting her eyes from Eli’s, she wrapped her arms around herself.  “I want to tell you I’m okay, but I know you won’t believe me, so there’s no point in lying about it.”  Glancing back at him she said, “I thought I knew Brad, but I don’t know, maybe I didn’t want to see the truth that was there in front of me.  I thought he loved me, but he was just playing me for a fool all along.”  Looking up to the sky, she shook her head from side to side, trying to ward off the barrage of tears that threatened to fall as the weight of her heartbreak came crashing down around her.  “God, I was so stupid.”

 

“You’re not stupid,” Eli said softly as he pulled her into his arms.  “Confused, most definitely, and Brad picked up on this, and used your vulnerabilities to his advantage.”  Resting his head on top of her head he added, “But, he won’t hurt you ever again, I promise.”  Holding her a few moments longer, he pulled her away and asked, “What are you going to tell your parents?”  Grazing his fingers down her neck he added, “You already have bruises forming.”

 

“I…I really don’t know.  I’ll think of something,” she answered back.  “Just don’t tell them or anyone else what happened.”

 

“But Sarah…”

 

“Eli,” she interrupted, holding up her hand, “I know you mean well, but this is just something I’m not ready to tell yet.  I’m already embarrassed enough as it is, and having them know about this is just going make me feel like more of a fool.  I can already hear the ‘I told you so’s.”

 

She could tell Eli strongly disagreed with her decision, but she was thankful that he kept his opinions to himself for she just wanted to forget the ugly situation that happened with Brad, and just move on with her life.  Of course, that would be hard considering that her parents always read her and her brothers like an open book, or more specifically their mother.  And for Sarah, that was the last person she wanted to know about her situation.

 

Glancing down at her watch, her eyes grew wide.  “Oh no, I’m late!” she exclaimed.  Looking back up at Eli she said, “I was suppose to meet my father ten minutes ago over in the picnic area.”

 

“Hey, don’t worry,” Eli said calmly, “I know a short cut through the woods.  Just follow me.”  And with that, Eli led the way with Sarah close behind him.

 

XXXXXX

 

Brandon gasped for breath as he was thrown down on to the ground.  He shivered at the coldness that surrounded him as his hood and tape were finally ripped off.  “Please let me go…my parents…will be worried about…me,” he stuttered out through chattering teeth.

 

The only response he got was laughter.  Hearing the sound of crunching leaves behind him, he tensed up immediately, getting himself ready for the next round of his humiliation.  “Please…nn…no more,” he pleaded, eyeing Randy warily as he walked around, standing in front of him.

 

“Ah, what’s ta matter, is wittle Brandon scared,” taunted Randy from above as he nudged him roughly with his foot.  Glancing to his side, Randy ordered two of his friends to pick Brandon up off the ground.  “Take off the jacket,” Randy commanded.  Once they were done with the task, Randy walked up to Brandon with a proud smirk across his face.  Standing toe to toe with him Randy said, “You think round one was bad, wait till you see what happens in round two.” 

 

Before Brandon had a chance to prepare himself, Randy brought his fist back, punching Brandon squarely in the gut.  Brandon cried out in pain as he gasped for air, doubling over.  Grabbing the back of his hair, Randy yanked his head back.  Seeing Randy’s fist once again being pulled back, Brandon closed his eyes and prepared himself for the next punch.

 

However, the punch didn’t come for that’s when someone interfered with Randy’s plans.  “Hey, why don’t you pick on someone your own size?”

 

XXXXXX

 

To Be Continued…