Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer:  In first chapter.

 

 

Chapter 4

 

Before Broots began talking again, they stopped off at a coffee shop to get some coffee.  Once they got their drinks, Broots drove to a park that sat on the ocean.  It was the same spot as where the Centre used to be.  Miss Parker stood in the parking lot in disbelief.  She could never fathom something like this.  The hundred of acres of land that were once filled with death and misery were now filled with life.

 

Broots walked over to her.  “You don’t remember this do you?”  He paused.  “It’s beautiful isn’t?”

 

“Yes, it is.  It just looks so peaceful.  I would’ve never thought one could find peace here,” she replied with bafflement.

 

Taking a few hesitant steps, she walked across the parking lot to the concrete path that led up to the park.  The air was cool and crisp, as a gentle breeze came off the ocean.  The sun was shining down brightly, without a cloud in the sky.  The trees were different shades of color, and all different sizes.  It was the perfect autumn day. 

 

She could see all kinds of families running around.  Some were having picnics, while others played games.  She could see parents pushing their children on the swings, while others sat by and watched their children playing in the sandboxes.  She could see a soccer game being played on one of the three soccer fields that lined the area.  There were also three baseball fields, three basketball courts, two tennis courts, and even a football field for the peewee football league.  She still couldn’t believe there was no Centre here.

 

Seeing a newspaper lying on a bench, she went over and grabbed it.  Looking at the day, she read it out loud, “Friday, October 25, 2002.”   It was the same day when she chased Jarod in Lexington, yet everything was so different now.  Letting out a tired sigh, she sat down on the bench looking out over the ocean.  She heard Broots sit down next to her a few seconds later.  “Broots, let’s stop beating around the bush.  I want to know everything, okay?  No holding back.”

 

Broots nodded at her.  “Okay.  Well, let me tell you how you met Jarod.  Now, I’m just going by the stories everyone has told me about you guys, including you, so just bear with me.”

 

“Fine, now continue.”

 

Broots took a sip of coffee, and then cleared his throat.  “Both of your mothers were really good friends back in college, but they lost touch with each other after your mother married your father.  The marriage was hard on your mother.  Your father was always out of town, or staying at the office real late.  There were rumors going around saying some of those late nights were spent with the company of other women.”

 

“My father cheated on my mother,” she said in disbelief.

 

“Well, its just speculation, but I believe it’s true.  With her marriage on the rocks, she was starting to go in depression.  The only thing that gave her joy in her life were her children.”

 

“Children?”

 

Broots gave her a bewildered look.  “Yes, you and your twin brother, Bobby.”

 

“Lyle,” she whispered softly to herself.  She just realized that with the Centre gone, Lyle would’ve never been ripped away from her mother and taken to Nebraska.  He would’ve grown up with the both of them.  But, was he still a crazy sociopath?  Did nature or nurture win over him?

 

“Well, he used to go by Bobby then, but he dropped it, saying it was too childlike and now goes by Robert.  Anyways, out of the blue one day, Margaret called your mother saying they would be moving up to Blue Cove in a month, since the major got a job as a pilot in Dover.”

 

“What year was this in?” she asked curiously.

 

“It was April of 1970.”

 

Miss Parker was already starting to dread this.  “Broots, did…did my mother die this year?”

 

“No, she didn’t.”  She let out a huge sigh of relief.  That meant one thing.  Her mother was still alive.  She was alive.  “Parker, before you get to excited, you should look over there.” Broots pointed out.

 

Following his finger, she read the huge sign. 

 

–Catherine Jamison Parker

 

Memorial Park--. 

 

Miss Parker could feel her hopes being squashed.  A few tears escaped her eyes as she covered her mouth with her fingers.  How can life be so cruel to her?  In both existences, her mother was dead and there was nothing she could do about it.

 

Broots glanced over at her, giving her a solemn look.  “I can tell there are a lot of questions swimming around in your mind right now.  I’ll try to answer them the best way I can.”

 

Miss Parker gathered up some of her composure.  “Tell me about Jarod.”

 

“Okay.”  Broots took another sip of coffee.  “Well, Margaret and Charles moved up here in late May with their three children.  Jarod was the same age as you, Kyle was two years younger, and Emily, who was three years younger than Kyle, followed him.  They moved into a house two streets over from you guys.  Well, your mother was so happy to see her friend again.  As for Jarod and you, it’s a pretty funny story.”  Broots started laughing at the thought of it.

 

Miss Parker raised an eyebrow at him.  “Care to let me in on the little story, Chuckles?”

 

Broots waved his hand in the air.  “I’m sorry.  I’m sorry.”  Getting his laughter under control he started.

 

32 Years Earlier

 

It was an unusual hot and muggy day for May.  Catherine still needed to tidy up the house for Margaret and her family, which were coming over for dinner later on.  Standing at the foot of the stairs, she yelled for her children to come down.  They made their appearance a few seconds later.  Looking at her daughter she suggested, “Sweetie, why don’t you and your brother go down to the lake and swim for awhile while I clean up here.”

 

“Daddy doesn’t like us going down there.  We don’t want to get into trouble,” replied Miss Parker with concern.

 

Catherine smiled at her daughter.  “Now, you let me worry about your father, besides it’s a beautiful day outside, perfect for swimming.”

 

Bobby smiled up at his mother.  “Okay, momma.”  With that, he turned around and bolted up the stairs, followed by his sister.

 

Miss Parker loved the lake, but hated the cicadas that were now taking refuge in the trees.  The sound they made during the afternoon hours was deafening to say the lease.  Bobby on the other hand loved them.  She hated it when they would fly at you, and land in your hair.  That was the worse feeling.  Hearing the rattling noise just did her in. 

 

When they reached their favorite spot, they were surprised to see two boys already there.  How did they find this spot?  Only her and Bobby knew about it, not unless he told someone.  “Bobby, did you tell anyone about this spot?” she asked accusingly.

 

Bobby put his hands up.  “Whoa, whoa, whoa.  Don’t start coming at me.  I swear, I’ve never uttered a word to anyone,” he said defensively.

 

She glared at Bobby a few more seconds, and then stalked over to the dock.  Both boys were around their age.  Both had dark hair, but one had blue eyes, while the other had brown eyes.  Miss Parker had a feeling they were brothers.  Seeing that the brown-eyed one was the oldest, she walked over to him, standing on the edge of the deck.  Crossing her arms in front of her defensively, she glared at the boy angrily.  “You’re not suppose to be here,” she hissed out.

 

The brown-eyed boy looked up at her from the water, squinting as the sun shined in his eyes.  “Says who?”

 

“Says me,” she growled out.

 

“Is that so,” he replied tauntingly.

 

“Yes, now get out, or I’ll tell my father to sue you.”

 

The brown-eyed boy tilted his head to the side, smiling at her.  “I know you’re bluffing.” 

 

She was becoming infuriated.  She could hear the boy’s younger brother giggling.  Looking away from the older boy, she glared at the younger one, who sobered up instantly.  Letting her eyes fall back on the brown-eyed boy, she smiled mischievously. 

 

The brown-eyed boy gave her a confused look, “What’s so funny?”

 

“I’ve got a proposition.  See that floating dock out there,” she pointed out.  “How about me and you race to that and back.  The first one that touches the dock I’m standing on wins and stays here, while the losers have to find another place to swim.”

 

Bobby walked up beside her.  “Are you crazy?  He’ll beat you hands down.  Why can’t we just share it with them?”

 

Miss Parker looked at her brother.  “No, I’m not sharing this spot with them.  It’s special to the both of us.  Mom taught us how to swim here, and I won’t have them tainting this place with their cooties.”

 

Miss Parker watched both boys get out.  Throwing Bobby her towel, she stood next to the brown-eyed boy.  “You know you can back out, I wouldn’t want to embarrass you in front of everybody,” the boy teased.

 

Miss Parker scoffed at him.  “Please, the only one who will get embarrassed will be you.  I’ll make sure to tell everyone in town that you got beat by little o me.”  Instead of getting mad, the boy just grinned at her, annoying her even more.  Over her shoulder she yelled, “Tell us when to go Bobby.”

 

Bobby just shook his head sadly at her.  “Okay, on your mark, get set, GO!”  Bobby and the other boy ran up to the edge of the deck, as their siblings dived into the water.

 

“COME ON, JAROD.  YOU CAN BEAT HER. GO!” his younger brother yelled out.

 

Bobby chimed in.  “COME ON SIS.  KICK HIS BUTT.  GO, GO, GO!”

 

Miss Parker and Jarod were neck and neck when they reached the floating dock, tagging it; they turned back around, heading down the homestretch.  They were halfway back and Miss Parker knew she was loosing ground, deciding to have a little fun of her own, she reached over and pushed his head down in the water, hoping to slow him down.  It worked like a charm when she went past him, however he caught up to her and grabbed her ankle, pulling her back.  Swimming past her, he waved at her and yelled over his shoulder, “See you at the finish line.”

 

Miss Parker knew she was beat.  She pounded her fist into the water in a fit of frustration, and then swam back.  He always seemed to get the best of her.  When she climbed up onto the deck she wrapped the towel around her and watched with anger as Jarod and his brother gave each other high fives.  Bobby came walking up to her.  “See, what did I tell you?  Why do you have to be so stubborn about everything?  Now we’ll have to find a new spot.”

 

Miss Parker ignored Bobby and walked past him and stood in front of Jarod.  “You cheated,” she accused.

 

Jarod gave her an incredulous look.  “I cheated,” he responded in disbelief.  “You’ve got to be kidding me.  Out of anyone who cheated it was you.  Man, you have some nerve.”

 

“Let’s race again.  Best two out of three,” she suggested.

 

Jarod shook his head from side to side, with a cocky smile plastered on his face.  “Sorry, no can do.  I won this bet fair and square.  So bye-bye.” He then waved his fingers at her.  He was having such fun riling her up.

 

“Urgh!” she screamed out in frustration.  She turned around, and then a thought came to her mind.  Turning back around, she walked up to Jarod with a huge smile on her face.

 

Jarod gave her a weary look.  He didn’t like that look on her face.  She was obviously up to no good.  “What?”

 

She stood there for a few moments, just looking at him.  Then out of nowhere, she shrugged off her towel, and pushed Jarod into the water.  “Sucker,” she commented triumphantly.  Walking over to Bobby she ordered, “Let’s go.”

 

Before they left, they could hear Jarod’s younger brother yelling for him.  “Jarod, where are you!  This isn’t funny!”  Looking over his shoulder he shouted out.  “Help him!  He may be drowning!” Panic was etched across his face.

 

Miss Parker and Bobby ran back over, standing beside the younger boy.  Getting down on her knees, she looked into the water.  She couldn’t see Jarod anywhere.  The annoyance she once felt for the boy was turning into worry and panic.  Getting back up, she dove into the water.

 

Thirty seconds later, she found Jarod.  Grabbing a hold of him, she swam back up.  With her right arm around his neck, she swam back to the dock.  Bobby and Jarod’s younger brother helped pull him up, as Miss Parker climbed up after him.

 

“Oh no, he’s dead,” cried the younger boy.

 

Miss Parker knelt down beside Jarod, patting his cheeks.  “Come on, wake up.  Wake up,” she repeated urgently.

 

“Give him CPR,” Bobby suggested.

 

Miss Parker lifted his head up and cleared his mouth out.  Taking a huge breath, she bent down, breathing her life back into his.  Taking another gulp of air, she bent down again.  Bobby and Kyle stood by in shock when they saw Jarod starting to laugh.  Miss Parker’s head instantly shot up.  “Oh no, this can’t be good,” muttered Bobby under his breath.  His sister was now giving Jarod the death stare.  “May God have mercy on your soul, Jarod.”

 

“You…you…”

 

Jarod sat up, laughing even harder at the look on her face.  “Wow, that was some kiss,” he said light heartily.

 

Miss Parker was seething now.  “You bastard!”  Without warning, Miss Parker drew back her arm, punching him in the eye.  She smiled triumphantly when Jarod fell back, covering his eye.  Standing up, she stomped passed Bobby.  Grabbing their towels, Bobby ran after his sister.

 

Jarod sat back up with the help of Kyle.  “Why did you play possum for, Jarod?  You know you shouldn’t have done that,” said Kyle.

 

Standing up, Jarod watched Miss Parker’s retreating form with his one good eye.  “I don’t know why I did it.  It was just an opportunity I couldn’t miss.  Besides, I like irritating her, it’s fun,” he said with a smile.  “I hope I see her again.”

 

“Why?” Kyle asked with bafflement.

 

“I don’t know how to describe it, Kyle.  I just like being around her.  She’s not like other girls.  She’s definitely a fighter and that’s what I like about her.”  Grabbing his watch off the dock he said, “Well, we better get back home.  Mom is taking us to her friend’s house tonight.”  Gathering up their towels, they headed back home.

 

Present Day

 

Miss Parker and Broots couldn’t stop laughing.  That definitely sounded like her in the story.  “So what happened when they came to our house?” she asked through the laughter.

 

Broots wiped away the tears of laughter from his eyes.  “Well, three hours later, they arrived.  Jarod was sporting a nice black eye, courtesy of you.  When you’re mother called you down, you stopped dead in your tracks when you saw Jarod.  You couldn’t believe your luck.  The one boy that got on your nerves just happened to be your mother’s best friend son.”

 

With a smile on her face, Miss Parker shook her head from side to side.  “I still can’t believe it.  What happened next?”

 

“Well, your father didn’t show up for dinner, which saddened your mother somewhat.  You tried to hide your disappointment, but Jarod must’ve sensed it.  So, doing what Jarod does best, he went out to talk to you, hoping to make you feel better about your parents situation and to be your friend.

 

32 Years Earlier

 

Miss Parker was sitting on the back porch swing pondering her thoughts when she was slightly startled by someone plopping down next to her.  Looking to her right, she was surprised to see Jarod.  He should be angry with her, but he didn’t appear to be mad.  Glancing at his eye, she tried to stifle the giggles that were building in her.  “I’m sorry about the eye,” she apologized.  “Does it hurt?”

 

Jarod let out a soft chuckle.  “Well somewhat, but it was worth it.  Besides, I kind of deserved it.”

 

“Of course you deserved it,” she replied matter-of-factly.

 

Jarod turned in his seat looking at her. “Why are you out here by yourself?”

 

Miss Parker shrugged her shoulders.  “I just like it out here.  It’s very relaxing.  Plus, I don’t want to be in there when my father comes home.  I’m angry and disappointed that he didn’t show up tonight.  He knew how important this night was for my mother.  He never makes an effort for her,” she said evenly.

 

“Oh.”  They remained quiet for a few minutes before he spoke up again.  “About the lake, why don’t we share it,” he suggested.

 

Miss Parker gave him a strange look.  “Why are you being so nice?  I know if I won it, I would be guarding it with my life.”

 

Jarod clasped his hands together in his lap as he looked out over the yard.  “I don’t know, for some strange reason I like you.  You got spunk, and I like that.  Besides, I’m new in town and don’t have any friends.”  He paused an added, “I would really like to be your friend.  So, what do you say?  Truce?’  Jarod held out his hand, waiting for her to seal the deal.

 

Miss Parker smiled at him and shook his hand.  “Truce.”

 

Present Day

 

“…and that’s how you and Jarod met,” Broots finished.

 

She wished she could remember these memories, but everything was still a blank slate.  Looking at Broots she asked, “Broots, I still have so many questions.  Like how you and I met.  If Sydney and Sam are around.  The facts about my mother’s death.”  She paused an asked, “When did me and Jarod go from friends to being more than just friends?”

 

XXXXXXXX

 

To Be Continued…