Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first chapter.

 

 

Chapter 37

 

 

The next morning, Miss Parker woke to the smell of bacon and an empty bed, well, almost empty.  Buddy was sprawled out on the edge of the mattress, sleeping peacefully.  Smiling at the dog, she patted him on the head as she got out of bed.  After stretching her still sleep deprived body, she went in search of a robe.  When she found it, she shook her head at the flannel monstrosity. 

 

“I seriously need to go shopping for some new clothes,” she muttered to herself, tying the robe around her waist.  Realizing what she just did, Miss Parker looked down at her left hand.  The swelling had gone down some, so she was finally able to move her fingers about.  Her wrist was still slightly inflamed, but compared to last night it was an improvement.

 

Yawning, she sat down on the bed, picking up the picture frame with Josh, Sarah, and Brandon’s picture inside.  Beside her, Miss Parker heard a slight rustling sound, glancing to her side, she found Buddy moving closer to her.  Lying down beside her, he rested his head on her lap.

 

A sad smile tugging at her mouth, she began petting the dog’s head.  “You’re worried about him,” she whispered out softly, referring to Brandon in the picture.  At her words, Buddy lifted up his head slightly, and looked at the picture.  Staring at it for a few moments, he broke his gaze and plopped his head back down on Miss Parker’s lap as if confirming her words.  Placing the frame back on the nightstand she murmured, “I am too.”

 

As she continued to run a soothing hand over the dog’s head, her thoughts remained on Brandon.  He was so scared last night that she wanted nothing more than to ease his fears away, but she wasn’t for sure on how to tackle the subject at hand.  Obviously, Brandon didn’t want to talk about it, but, if Jarod and her were going to get anywhere with him then they needed to get him to open up.  When Brandon mentioned ‘the bad men’, she had an awful feeling in the pit of her stomach that maybe Brandon’s dreams were referring to something else entirely different.  That it was something not of this world, but of another. “What if he’s picking up on memories from my past?” she whispered to herself, hoping she wasn’t right.

 

XXXXXX

 

Sarah cringed as the bright sunlight filtered into her bedroom.  Shielding her eyes from the light, she sat up in bed, instantly regretting the sudden movement as the pounding in her head intensified.  Grimacing in pain, she threw back the covers, swinging her legs off the bed and onto the floor.  Cradling her head in her hands, she leaned forward.  “I swear, I’m never going to touch alcohol again,” she muttered under her breath, rocking back and forth.

 

Taking a deep breath, she eased herself off the bed.  Stumbling over to her windows, she closed the blinds and curtains, shutting out the annoying sunlight.  A wry smile graced her features as she plopped down on her bay window, but soon, the smile vanished.  Any other day, she wouldn’t mind the smell of bacon, but now the aroma was making her nauseas.  Feeling the bile creeping up her throat, she covered her mouth as she bolted out of her room.

 

Throwing the bathroom door open, she scurried over to the toilet, making it just in time as the first wave of vomit escaped her mouth.  Her eyes became watery as she continued to heave, coughing out the vile substances that were still in her stomach and mouth.

 

Sarah was startled when she felt someone pull her hair back from her face, offering their help.  After the dry heaves finally subsided, Sarah wiped her mouth with the back of her hand as she looked over at the person standing beside her.  It was her mother.

 

Anger from the previous night bubbled up to the surface at the sight of the woman.  Ignoring her, Sarah went to the sink and turned on the faucet.  Cupping the water in her hands, she splashed her face and rinsed her mouth out before turning back to her mother.  Shoulders squared, Sarah folded her arms across her chest as she stared daggers at the woman standing before her.  “I can take care of myself.  I don’t need you babying me,” she said bitterly.

 

Miss Parker quirked an eyebrow at her as she mimicked Sarah’s defensive stance.  “Are you sure about that?  By the way you’re acting, it sounds like you’ve missed your little nap and now you’re throwing a little tantrum,” she replied back coolly.

 

Silence filled the room as the two continued to stare down each other.  After some time, Sarah broke eye contact, and sat down on the edge of the tub, feeling light headed all of a sudden.  Leaning forward, she rested her elbows on her knees, and once again rocked back and forth, hoping to ward off the nausea that was threatening to come up once again.

 

Kneeling down in front of her, Miss Parker ordered lightly, “Sarah, look up.”

 

She wanted to protest against her mother’s order, but the fight within her was quickly fading.  All she wanted to do was to go back to bed and hope to never feel like this again.  Resting her palms against the tub, Sarah lifted her head and looked into her mother’s blue eyes.  “What now?” Sarah asked.

 

Pushing the hair out of her face, Miss Parker patted her face with a cold washcloth as she spoke to her.  “Sarah, I know you have a lot of resentment towards me, but you have to remember that I’m on your side.  I’m not the enemy.”  Unfolding the washcloth, Miss Parker draped it around Sarah’s neck.  Sitting down beside her she continued, “I wish I could remember how things were between us before my…accident, unfortunately I can’t…and I probably never will.  But, I really would like to bridge this gap between us.”

 

And there it was.  Her mother was offering her an olive branch, hoping to call a truce between the two of them.  Sarah glanced over at Miss Parker, eyeing her skeptically.  A part of her really wanted to say yes to her mother’s offer, but the other part of her mind still held doubt.  What if this some trick to get you away from Brad, the thought floated through her mind.  “What about Brad?” Sarah asked curiously.

 

Miss Parker’s eyes remained fixated on hers for a few more moments before turning away.

 

Sarah was beyond livid.  It was a trick, she thought angrily.  Fists clenched, she abruptly stood up and towered over her mother.  “You’re a damn hypocrite!’ she spat out.  “I can’t believe you would trick your own daughter like that, and to think, I almost took you up on your offer.”  Sarah was about to bolt from the room when she felt her mother grab her arm and yank her back.

 

Miss Parker’s eyes blazed with fury as she tightened her grip around Sarah’s upper arm.  “Don’t EVER talk to me like that again!”

 

“You can’t keep me away from, Brad,” Sarah shot back, breaking free from her mother’s grasp.  Backing her way towards the door she continued, “I hate you!”

 

Resting her hands on her hips, Miss Parker spat back, “You know what, good!  When you go to a therapist in the future, you’ll have plenty of subject matter to talk about.”  Walking towards her, Miss Parker shoved her aside and was about to walk out the door, when she paused and looked back at Sarah.  Raising her hand, she pointed her index finger an added, “But mark my word little girl, there will come a day when you’ll need me…more than you’ll ever know.”

 

Sarah scoffed at her words.  “Yeah right, we’ll see.”

 

Both stared at each other for a few more seconds, before Miss Parker stepped out into the hallway, slamming the door behind her.

 

XXXXXX

 

Miss Parker was seething on the inside as she made her way to the kitchen.  Where the hell does that little brat get off calling me a hypocrite, she fumed inwardly.  All she wanted was to help Sarah, and to somehow mend their relationship, how was she to know that calling for a truce would blow up in her face?  What a spoiled little brat.

 

She was about ready to bust through the swinging kitchen door when she paused momentarily, hearing a masculine voice singing on the other side.  Pushing the door a crack, Miss Parker peeked inside.  She tried not to burst out laughing at the sight before her eyes.

 

Jarod was standing in front of the stove, singing to a song on the radio as he cooked breakfast.  She watched with amusement as he danced to the music, swaying his hips, waving his arms in the air, and bobbing his head up and down as he emptied some scrambled eggs onto a plate.  God, he was a horrible dancer, she thought, smiling at his moves, but still, it was hilarious.  Bringing the wooden spoon up to his mouth as a microphone he started to sing once again.

 

“Ba de ya, say do you remember, ba de ya, dancing in September, ba de ya, never was a cloudy day…”

 

Jarod kept repeating the chorus over and over again as he sang into his spoon, while his free hand was high up in the air as if he was trying to lasso in a steer, while he spun in a circle.  Miss Parker couldn’t hold back her laughter any longer.  Pushing the door open, she stepped inside startling Jarod.

 

Quickly hiding the spoon behind his back, he looked away from Miss Parker’s knowing eyes, clearly embarrassed.  “A…um…Parker, how…how long have you been standing there?” he stammered out nervously.

 

Grinning from ear to ear she answered back, “Enough to know that you’re no Fred Astaire.” 

 

Blushing at her comment, he smiled shyly before turning around and putting the finishing touches on breakfast.  “I hope you’re hungry.  I’ve made enough breakfast to feed…”  He was surprised when he felt soft, feminine arms wrap around his waist from behind.  His breath quickened as he felt Parker’s breath close to his ear.  “Jarod, if you’re a good boy, maybe I’ll give you a private lesson on how to dance later tonight,” she suggested in a seductive voice.

 

Looking back at her he smiled.  “Promise?”

 

“What do you think?”

 

“I think…” turning around to face her, he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her against him, “…that I haven’t given you a good morning kiss.”

 

Leaning into him, she wrapped her arms around his neck.  “Well then, what are you waiting for?  An invitation in the mail?” she challenged playfully.

 

Never one to back away from a challenge, Jarod leaned down, capturing her lips with his. 

 

“Why don’t you guys get a room?  Young, impressionable minds don’t need to be seeing that,” came Josh’s teasing voice from across the room.

 

Quickly breaking apart, Jarod and Miss Parker stared across the kitchen at the teenage boy.  A knowing look etched across his face; Josh sauntered over to the kitchen table and plopped down into one of the chairs.  With a Cheshire cat smile he said, “So…Mom and Dad, what have you two been up to lately?”

 

Feeling her cheeks reddening, she quickly turned around, busying herself with making a cup of coffee.  “Josh…um, don’t you have school today or something?”

 

“Mom it’s Sunday.  Why do you think I’m all dressed up for?” he answered back.

 

Turning around, she looked at Josh’s attire.  Dress pants, a button down shirt, dress shoes, and tie, she mentally noted to herself.  Sitting down beside him she said, “I’m sorry Josh, but I don’t have the foggiest idea as to what you’re talking about.”

 

“I’m sorry, Mom.  I should’ve known you wouldn’t remember,” he apologized.  “Sunday mornings we usually go to church where Uncle Bobby preaches at.”

 

Miss Parker choked on her coffee as she stared at Josh incredulously.  “We attend Ly…I mean Bobby’s church?”

 

“Yeah,” Josh answered back, nodding his head up and down.  “Me, you, Brandon, and Sarah.”

 

“What about you Jarod?” Miss Parker asked, gazing at the man in question.

 

“I don’t go,” Jarod answered evenly, looking away from her.

 

She didn’t need Jarod to elaborate on why he never went for she already knew the answer.  Kyle.  His hatred for her brother ran deep within him.

 

Taking a sip of coffee she asked, “So, what time does church start?”

 

Glancing down at his watch Josh answered back, “In about 90 minutes.”  Looking up at her he asked, “So, are we going?”

 

Curious at her brother’s profession she answered, “Sure, why not.”

 

Laying the plates of food on the table, Jarod looked over at Josh and said, “Josh, why don’t you run upstairs and tell your sister that breakfast is ready.”

 

As Josh ran up the back steps in the kitchen, Jarod sat down across from Miss Parker.  “Are you sure this is a good idea?  I’m sure…your brother would understand if you didn’t show up at today’s services.”

 

Reaching out, Miss Parker rested her hand over his, trying to reassure him.  “Jarod, I know you’re worried, but we’ll be fine.  I’ll be there with the kids and so will my brother, and from what I’ve seen, he loves those children very much.  He wouldn’t let anything bad happen to them.”  As much as she wanted to believe those words, there was still a small part of her that was somewhat skeptic about her brother, and if she wanted to squash those doubts she knew the only way to do that was to have a conversation with ‘Bobby’.  “I have to do this.”

 

Squeezing her hand gently, he nodded in understanding.  Grabbing her plate, he stood up and asked, “So, what do you want to eat?”

 

“Jarod, I can do it,” she said, holding out her hands.

 

Glancing down at her injured hand he said, “Does it hurt?”

 

“Some, but nothing I can’t bear.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Positive.”

 

After a few seconds of hesitation, Jarod handed back her plate.  As they loaded their plates up, Sydney and Brandon came walking through the back door.  “Hey Mom!” came Brandon’s excited voice as he ambled over to his mother and hugged her.

 

“Hey Brandon,” Miss Parker responded back, hugging back the small boy.  Glancing over at Sydney she asked, “So, where did you two go?”

 

“Brandon,” interrupted Jarod, clearing his throat, “Why don’t you go upstairs and get ready for church.”

 

“Okay.”  With that, Brandon ran up the stairs, leaving the three adults to themselves.

 

Taking off his coat, Sydney laid his jacket on the back of his chair as he sat down beside Miss Parker.  Getting up, Jarod got Sydney a cup of coffee and sat back down at the table.  “So Sydney, what did Brandon have to say?”

 

Tapping his spoon on the top of the mug, Sydney took a sip of his coffee before answering Jarod’s question.  “I wish I could give you two answers, unfortunately whenever I tried to steer our conversation to his nightmare, he always changed the subject.”

 

Getting up from his chair, Jarod began to pace back and forth.  “There has to be way to get him to open up about this nightmare.  I hate standing by and doing nothing,” he said with frustration. 

 

“Well, there may be another way we could get him to open up,” offered Sydney.

 

Jarod stopped mid pace and Miss Parker leaned closer to Sydney, resting her hand on his arm.  “What is it?”

 

“Hypnosis,” Sydney answered back.  Seeing the skeptic looks on the two faces before him he continued, “I know it’s a reach, but it’s the only option left I can think of.”

 

“Parker, what do you think?” asked Jarod with concern.  “Should we try it?”

 

“I’m up for it, but only if Sydney does it,” she answered back evenly.

 

“I can do it tonight, if it’s alright with you two?  I’ll just call Michelle and tell her I’ll be coming home late,” he told them.

 

“Sounds good,” said Miss Parker.

 

“Okay, then its settled,” added Jarod.

 

No sooner had they finished their conversation did Josh come down the stairs.  “Where’s Sarah at?” asked Jarod.

 

“Oh, you mean her royal highness,” Josh spat out sarcastically.  “Well, she told me she’s not coming down.”

 

Seeing the irritation in Jarod’s eyes, Miss Parker stopped him before he made his way up the stairs.  “Let her be.  I’m sure I’m the last person she wants to see right now.”

 

“What happened now?” Jarod sighed.

 

“Well, lets just say we had a little heart to heart in the bathroom earlier, and neither one of us is feeling very fond of one another right now,” she replied back.  Getting up from her seat she walked over to Jarod.  “Listen, why don’t I take the boys to church and you and Sarah spend some time together,” she suggested.

 

“Oh, I totally forgot,” chimed in Josh from behind them, “Dad, Sarah has to work at the school’s pumpkin patch today.”

 

“The what?” Miss Parker asked curiously.

 

“The athletic boosters at our school set up this pumpkin patch for the month of October to raise money for new equipment and uniforms.  Sarah’s on the track team and their scheduled to work today, along with the boys and girls basketball squads.  She’s scheduled to start in two hours.”

 

“Well then, that settles it.  You take Sarah and I’ll take the boys.”  Pulling Jarod closer she whispered in his ear, “Be on the lookout for Brad, it wouldn’t surprise me if he tries to see her today.”  Pulling back, Jarod nodded in understanding.  Kissing him on the mouth she ran up the stairs and got ready for church of all things.

 

XXXXXX

 

“It was a nice service today,” said Miss Parker.

 

Glancing up from his desk, Bobby smiled at her.  Standing up, he offered her a chair in front of him.  “Well, I’m glad you liked it, Sis,” he replied back, sitting down in his chair.

 

Sitting down, Miss Parker’s eyes roamed around the office, taking in all the details.  From the plain inexpensive desk, to the bookshelves and file cabinets overflowing with papers and files.  The room had a haphazard look, and if her ‘true’ brother was here, he would overdose at all the clutter that lay within the room.  Mr. Lyle was an obsessive compulsive neat freak, but the man sitting in front of her was the total opposite.

 

“I see you’re wearing your wedding ring again,” he said, nodding his head towards her hand, “I take it things are going well with you and Jarod?”

 

“As good as can be expected.”

 

“Do you want some coffee or something else to drink?” he offered.

 

“No, I’m fine.”

 

An awkward silence filled the room before Miss Parker spoke up.  “I have to ask this.  What made you become a man of God?”

 

Chuckling at her question, Bobby leaned back in his chair.  “Faith in God and Mom.”

 

“Mom,” Miss Parker repeated in a slightly startled voice.

 

“Hey, don’t look surprised, Sis,” Bobby said, laughing at his sister’s expression.

 

“How?”

 

“Well,” he began, “you and Mom always had your special day together.”  Seeing the puzzled look on his sister’s face, he elaborated.  “It was usually Saturday afternoons, and you two would pack a picnic and talk about girl stuff under this big tree in the middle of this field.  Well, for me, our time was usually Sunday afternoons.

 

Mom did some volunteer work at the Blue Cove hospital and the local orphanage nearby.  After church was over, Dad would take you back home, while mom took me to these places.  I got to meet all kinds of people and children, but one little girl struck a chord within me.

 

I was about twelve years old when we went to visit the orphanage one day.  While Mom was talking to one of the nuns I decided to explore this floor by myself.  I heard the nun tell mom this was the floor that kept the terminally ill children, so my interest was somewhat piqued because I wanted to see what these kids looked like.  Were they different than us, or were they the same as you and me.

 

So, I roamed the floor, trying to look through the windows, but curtains and blinds obscured my view.  When I was just about to give up, I found a door that was slightly ajar.  Walking over to it, I peeked inside to find a small girl with long, flowing blonde hair, sleeping peacefully in bed.  She looked like an angel.  It was hard for me to believe that she was going to die very soon, because she looked somewhat healthy.  When she woke up, I’ll admit, she scared the hell out of me,” he chuckled.  “We talked for hours and I found out her name was…”

 

“Faith,” Miss Parker whispered out sadly, brushing a tear from her cheek.

 

“Yeah.”  Becoming concerned, Bobby leaned forward and asked, “Parker, are you okay?”

 

“I’m fine, please continue.”

 

“Well, we became fast friends.  She became the little sister I never had.  I visited her three times a week for a month when the inevitable happened. 

 

It was a dreary, rainy day when I visited her after school on Thursday.  I learned this new card game that I wanted to teach her.  When I stepped onto the floor, I new something was wrong.  Running down the hall I rushed into her room.  She was still alive, but just barely.  I held her tiny hand in mine as she struggled for breath.  I wished there was some way to ease her pain, but I knew it was in God’s hands.

 

Reaching into my pocket, I pulled out the rosary Mom gave to me and placed it in her hand, hoping it would somehow comfort her.  Hearing the doctors come through the door, I held her hand tighter, knowing it wouldn’t be long before she passed away.  Tears streamed down my face as I felt her grip slacken with each agonizing second that passed.  Suddenly, I felt her grip tighten around my hand.  Glancing down at her, I lowered my head as she told me that in her heart, I would always be the brother she never had, and that she loved me.  After that she was gone,” Bobby finished, wiping the tears from his eyes.

 

“Why didn’t you become a reverend after high school?” questioned Miss Parker with glistening eyes.

 

“Because of Dad,” Bobby replied back bitterly.  “I wanted to please him so much, but no matter how hard I tried nothing pleased him, except when I told him I was becoming a lawyer.

 

So, I did the lawyer thing, but I hated it.  I was just about to drop out of law school when Mom suddenly died.  After her death, I didn’t care about anything anymore.  I visited bars more than I did courtrooms, hoping to drown myself in cheap glasses of alcohol.  Then, I finally received my awakening ten years ago; unfortunately it came at a cost.”

 

“The car accident with Kyle,” she said.

 

Getting up from his chair, Bobby dug his hands into his pockets as he stared out the window that sat behind his desk.  “Yeah, the car accident with Kyle,” he affirmed sadly.  “I never told anyone this, but I tried to kill myself shortly after the accident.  My life was going in a downward spiral, and I felt all hope was lost, so I bought a small pistol at a local pawn shop and loaded the gun, hoping to end my suffering once and for all.

 

I sat on my couch for hours, just staring at the gun in my hands.  Finally, when I had enough courage, I brought the pistol up to my head and I squeezed the trigger, but nothing happened.  I tried it again, and again, and again, but still, nothing happened.  I was so frustrated that I threw pistol across the room, angry that I couldn’t succeed in the simple task of killing myself.  I was a failure.  When I got up to retrieve the pistol from the floor, underneath the gun laid on an old photograph.”

 

“Who was in the photograph?” asked Miss Parker.

 

“It was me, Mom and Faith.  It was taken the first day we met each other.”  Leaning sideways against the wall, Bobby looked over at his sister.  “I realized then what was missing in my life—faith.  It was faith in me that I was missing.  So, I started the long journey of rebuilding my life and now, here I am today.”

 

Miss Parker was still shell shocked at what she just heard.  She tried to put her thoughts into words, but nothing would come out.

 

Walking around his desk, Bobby leaned back, folding his arms across his chest as he stared down at her.  “Seeing the stunned expression on your face, here’s some dark humor for you.  Do you want to know why the gun didn’t go off when I pulled the trigger?”

 

“Why?”

 

“I forgot to click off the safety,” he smiled at her.

 

Miss Parker tried not to laugh, but she couldn’t help it.  “That’s not funny,” she said, trying to be serious, but laughter soon erupted from her.

 

“See, I knew that would make you laugh.  We always had a weird since of humor,” he chuckled.  Hearing his cell phone ringing behind him, Bobby reached back and answered it, “Hello?”  Laughter subsiding, he covered the mouthpiece with his hand and said, “I’m sorry Parker, but I have to take this privately.  Maybe we could continue this conversation on another day.”

 

“That’s fine.  Besides I have to meet Jarod at this pumpkin patch fundraiser.”  Getting up from her chair, she walked to the doorway and stopped.  Turning around, she looked at her brother and said, “Thanks Bobby, for the chat.”  With that, she was gone.

 

Walking across the room, Bobby closed the door.  Hurrying to the window behind his desk, he watched his sister and two nephews walk across the parking lot to her SUV.  Removing his hand from the mouthpiece he said, “Okay, I’m alone now…My sister was visiting…No,” he paused for a moment waving to his sister goodbye as she drove out of the parking lot.  “No, she doesn’t suspect a thing…Jarod doesn’t suspect a thing either, and believe me, if he did, my head would be mounted over his fireplace by now...My shoulder…”  Glancing down at his left shoulder, he could see a small, red dot on his shirt.  Taking off the article of clothing, he walked over to the mirror and inspected the wound that was starting to bleed through the gauze bandages.  “…My shoulder’s still sore, but nothing that a little time won’t heal…Yes, I understand.  I’ll meet you later tonight.”

 

Disconnecting the call, Bobby pulled out his first aid kit from the closet.  Cleaning his wound, he placed a new bandage on his shoulder.   Putting the medical supplies away, he threw back on his shirt.  Grabbing his lucky baseball cap from his desk drawer, he slipped it on and exited the room.

 

XXXXXX

 

To Be Continued…