Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first chapter.

 

Chapter 35

 

 

Resting her back against the porcelain tub, Miss Parker rested her arms on the sides, keeping them out of the water.  Her eyes wandered over to the door, waiting for Jarod to enter, who was of course, taking his sweet time.  Probably debating on whether or not to come in, she thought wryly.  Hell, she couldn’t blame him because she had the same issues when it came to asking for his help.

 

She wasn’t trying to seduce him, and she hoped that idea wasn’t going through his mind at this very second; she really did need his help.  It was embarrassing to not be able to undress herself, but when Jarod offered his assistance she was relieved, of course, that didn’t last long.  As she watched his slim, strong fingers travel down her shirt, all of a sudden she became nervous, as if she was some love struck teenager about to lose her virginity.  It was so ridiculous.

 

Then, when Jarod’s hands worked around the waistband of her jeans and stopped momentarily on her zipper, it seemed all the air escaped from her lungs as she ceased to breathe.  The air around them seemed to become a whole lot warmer all of a sudden.  She bit her bottom lip, not knowing what to expect, so when Jarod unzipped her jeans and nothing more she felt slightly disappointed.  And, that’s what bothered her more than anything else.  Why was she so disappointed with the outcome? 

 

Her question was soon answered when Jarod finally stepped into the bathroom.  Closing the door behind him, he fidgeted nervously, his hand never leaving the doorknob, as if it was his last lifeline to the outside world.  Leaning back against it, he stared up at the ceiling, trying his best to avoid her.  Miss Parker stared at him intensely, her eyes roaming over his body, taking in every minute detail.  Her gaze seemed to be transfixed on his chest, where his thin, white cotton t-shirt hid what was underneath.  Tilting her head to the side, she wondered what it would be like to run her hands over his well sculpted upper body, or better, her mouth.  Smiling inwardly at the thought, she dared her eyes to go farther southward, however, she stopped abruptly when she heard Jarod clearing his throat.

 

“Parker?” he questioned her.

 

Miss Parker’s head instantly shot up.  She blushed at Jarod’s curious gaze.  “W…what did you ask?” she stammered out.

 

Rubbing his hands nervously, he slipped them in his back pockets as he took a few hesitant steps towards her.  Smiling shyly, he repeated, “What do you need help with?”

 

His smile seemed to warm her from head to toe as he stared expectantly at her, waiting patiently for her answer.  God, she always loved his smiles, she thought, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear.  Gazing into his kind eyes she answered quietly, “I…I need you to shampoo my hair,” laughing nervously she continued, “I would do it myself, but as you can see, I’m kind of useless,” she said, raising her left hand for emphasis.

 

Realization dawning on him, he smacked his hand against his forehead.  “Oh, I forgot.  I’m such an idiot,” he instantly chided himself.

 

She grinned.  “Well…I wouldn’t say idiot, maybe more along the lines of dim witted,” she teased.

 

Chuckling, he shook his head.  “Ha, ha, very funny, Parker,” he replied back, grabbing a small pitcher from the bathroom closet.

 

Walking back over, he knelt down behind her.  When Jarod laid a hand on her shoulder, easing her back, she tensed, feeling slight unease by Jarod’s close proximity.  “Relax,” he said soothingly.

 

Easy for him to say, she mused, he wasn’t the one soaking in a bathtub completely naked.  Her right hand still gripping the tub, she eased back slowly, feeling very on guard.  Luckily, the bubbles covered her nude body from Jarod’s eyes, but still she felt very uncomfortable with the situation.  She felt so…so, what was the word…

 

Feeling Jarod’s hand press lightly against her back to stop her, he said, “That’s good enough.”  Dumping the pitcher into the water, he filled it, bringing it back out.  “Parker…” She noted the change in his voice.  It sounded…

 

Vulnerable, and that’s what she felt like.  She hated anyone seeing her like this, so exposed to the outside world, so naked.  Because, she knew from experience if people saw your vulnerability, then they saw your weaknesses, your flaws.  That’s all anyone needed to get what they want from you, to break you down by any means necessary.  But, she knew deep down in her heart that Jarod would never do that to her.

 

Taking a deep breath, she glanced over her shoulder.  “Yes Jarod?”

 

He didn’t say anything, just stared at her a few more moments before finally looking away.  Sighing, he ran an anxious hand through his hair before turning back to her.  Seeming more composed he instructed quietly, “I just need you to close your eyes and tilt your head back for me.”

 

Nodding in a trance like state, she quickly turned back around.  Doing as instructed, she closed her eyes, and tilted her head back.  Warm water ran through her hair, relaxing her a bit more.  Smiling contently, she heard Jarod squirt a dab of shampoo into his palm, then lathering it between his hands.  She sighed happily as Jarod ran his strong fingers through her hair, massaging her scalp.  Once that was done, he shielded her eyes as he poured the pitcher of water over her head a few more times.  Putting the pitcher down on the ground he said softly, “All done.  Is there anything else you need of service, madam?” He joked light heartily.

 

Now, there was a question full of possibilities, she thought wickedly.  Turning her gaze to him she responded back simply, “No.  Now, if you don’t mind, I would like to get out of this tub before I turn into a prune.”

 

Standing up, he walked around the tub.  “Okay, but here…”  Walking back to the closet, he pulled out two towels and a bar of soap.  Setting the towels on the sink counter, he opened up the soap box, taking out the bar.  Walking over to her, he stopped beside the tub, handing her the soap.  However, the item slipped out of their hands and into the bathtub.  Jarod instantly fell to his knees, apologizing profusely.  Without giving it a second thought, his hands reached into the tub, searching frantically for the soap.

 

Parker couldn’t help herself, she was very amused by Jarod’s antics, that was, until she felt his hand brush against her backside.  She let out a surprised yelp as Jarod quickly snatched his hand out of the water.  “Parker, I’m so, so sorry,” he repeated profusely.  “I really didn’t mean to do that.”

 

“Its okay, Jarod.  I’m fine.  No damage done.”  With her right hand, she grabbed the bar of soap out of the water.  “Found it.”

 

Standing up once again, he self-consciously rubbed the back of his neck, becoming more embarrassed by the second as his cheeks reddened slightly.  “I really am sorry, Parker.”

 

“And once again, Jarod, everything is okay,” she reassured him.

 

Smiling slightly at her tone, he nodded his head in understanding.  Backing away from her he said, “Well, I’ll let you finish up in here.”  Grabbing her discarded clothes he added, “I’ll go get your pajamas.  Yell if you need any help.”  When Jarod grabbed her last article of clothing off the floor, something metallic flew out, landing on the tile floor.  “What’s this?” he mumbled to himself as he squatted down to get a better look at the item.

 

Miss Parker remained in the tub, staring intently at him.  She knew what the item was, but hadn’t thought much about it, but seeing the look on Jarod’s face she knew it was something very dear to him as unshed tears glistened in his eyes.  Curiosity getting the best of her, she finally asked, “What is it, Jarod, what’s wrong?”

 

Bringing the necklace up to his eye level, his eyes remained fixated on the small ring that dangled in the air in front of him.  “I thought…”  Glancing across the room at her he said thickly, “All this time, and I thought you let go of us, but seeing this ring, my heart finally knows the truth.”

 

Miss Parker gave him a quizzical look.  “What are you talking about?  What’s so special about the ring?”

 

A lone tear ran down Jarod’s cheek as he gazed at her adorningly.  Quickly wiping the tear away, he straightened his stance.  Smiling at her, he walked over to the door.  Before leaving, he finally replied to her question.  “It’s your wedding ring.”  And, with that, he was gone.

 

XXXXXX