Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer:  In first chapter.

 

 

Chapter 34

 

 

“Jarod, go out to my car and get my medical bag,” ordered Sydney as he knelt down beside Miss Parker.  Wrapping a washcloth around her hand to stop the bleeding, he looked back up to find Jarod still by Miss Parker’s side, cradling her head in his lap.  “Jarod?” he asked in a louder, firmer tone.  When Jarod finally looked up, Sydney asked once again for his medical bag, hoping to bring him out of his daze like state.

 

Snapped out of his reverie by Sydney’s voice, Jarod finally nodded in understanding.  Shedding off his button down shirt, Jarod rolled the cotton fabric into a small, pillow like ball and put it under Miss Parker’s head.  Once that was done, he quickly hopped to his feet and bolted out the door, leaving Sydney behind with her.

 

Running out into the cold, fog filled night, Jarod sprinted to Sydney’s silver Lexus.  Ripping open the driver’s side door, he searched frantically for the black medical bag; however it was nowhere to be found.  Where could it be, he wondered, trying to remain calm, but seeing the image of Parker fainting with blood running down her arm nearly tore him apart. 

 

He knew she wouldn’t take it well, but seeing her putting a fist through the double pane glass window was the least he expected.  How could she keep all that pain bottled up inside without talking to anybody about it, he mused.  No one should go through that alone.  And, what kind of husband had he been all these years if he didn’t see her pain?  Did he really pay enough attention to her all these years, or had he always taken her for granted, assuming everything was okay?  Sighing, Jarod instantly chided himself for he already knew the answer.  How could’ve been so blind to her inner demons?

 

Tonight that would all change.  From now on, he would be more attentive, making sure she was truly okay with herself.  Finding the lever that popped open the trunk, Jarod pulled it, quickly closing the front door behind him.  Finding the bag, he grabbed it, and sprinted once again into the house.

 

When he got into the kitchen, he was surprised to find Brandon sitting beside Parker, near her head, running a soothing hand over her hair.  Walking past Buddy who was silently standing guard nearby, Jarod handed over the bag to Sydney.  Taking a seat beside Parker, Jarod looked over at Brandon and asked, “Bran, what are you doing down here?”

 

Blue, puffy eyes stared up at Jarod. “I…I was having a…nightmare about Mom.  Then all of a sudden I heard a scream…”  Looking down at his mother he added softly, “…her scream.”  Glancing back up at Jarod he continued, “It scared me, so I came running downstairs to make sure I was only dreaming, but when I came into the kitchen…and saw…saw the blood I instantly knew it wasn’t.”  Tears began running down Brandon’s cheeks as his bottom lip quivered.  “It’s just like my nightmare,” he whispered out worriedly.

 

Seeing more tears streaming down Brandon’s cheeks, Jarod’s face softened, wishing he could somehow ease his youngest child’s worries, but how could he do that when he couldn’t ease his own.  “Come here, Brandon,” Jarod motioned.  When the red hair boy scooted over, Jarod wrapped an arm around Brandon’s small shoulders, pulling him closer to him.  “Listen here, sport,” he began in a soothing voice, “Your mother is going to be okay.  She just had a little accident, that’s all.  See…,” Jarod paused for a moment, motioning towards the aging doctor, “Sydney, is helping your mother as we speak.  She’ll be all right.  He would tell us if anything was wrong.”  Glancing over at Sydney he said, “Right Syd?”

 

Casting a fleeting look between father and son, Sydney answered honestly, “Yes Brandon, I would.”  He then continued working on Parker.

 

“See,” Jarod replied back reassuringly.  Brandon still seemed uncertain to believe Jarod’s words.  Obviously the dream, or nightmare, as the boy called it, was still plaguing his young mind.  Sighing inwardly, Jarod turned his gaze back towards Sydney.  “Sydney, we’re going to go into the living room and have a little chat.  Will you be okay in here?” asked Jarod.

 

“I’ll be fine,” Sydney replied back, a faint smile tugging the corners of his mouth.  “You two need to talk.”

 

Nodding a silent thank you towards Sydney, Jarod got up on his feet.  Gazing down at Brandon he said gently, “Come on son, let’s go talk in private.”

 

Swiping the tears away from his face, the young boy shook his head adamantly from side to side.  “No, I’m okay.  I…I don’t want to leave Mom’s side.  I want to be here when she wakes up.”

 

Sighing, Jarod ran a hand over his weary face.  Kneeling down beside Brandon, Jarod reached out, placing his fingers under Brandon’s chin, turning his face towards him.  “Brandon, I know you’re worried about your mother, and I am too, but we need to talk about your dream.”

 

“I don’t want to talk about it.”  Shaking his face away from Jarod’s hand, the boy reached out, grabbing his mother’s uninjured hand.  “Dad, forget I said anything.  I’m not the one you should be worrying about anyways.  We need to focus our attention on Mom.”

 

Jarod and Sydney both shared looks of concern between one another.  Settling beside Brandon once again Jarod said, “Keeping all your worries and fears bottled up inside won’t help you in the long run, Brandon.”  Jarod paused, glancing down at Brandon’s small hands wrapped around Parker’s.  “I know you’ve always been a quiet kid, but don’t ever think your problems are less important then everyone else’s.  If something is bothering you, then please tell me.  No matter how old you get, I’ll always worry about you, but don’t ever be afraid to tell me what’s wrong,” he said sympathetically.  Reaching out, Jarod placed a comforting hand on Brandon’s shoulder.  “What’s on your mind, Bran?”

 

His back still facing Jarod, he replied back dryly, “Nothing.”

 

Jarod was feeling frustrated.  He wanted to help his son, but he truly didn’t know what to do.  Out of his three kids, Brandon was the one he always worried about the most.  He’d always been a shy, quiet boy.  Always wanting everyone to like him, he never disagreed with many people, even if he wasn’t happy with the situation.  Brandon was a people pleaser, and Jarod partly wished he wasn’t.  Both, he and Parker always worried about people taking advantage of Brandon’s quietness.  And, what scared Jarod more was that he knew he wouldn’t always be there to protect his son from those predators.  He knew there was going to come a time in Brandon’s life that he would have to fight his own battles, without his parents by his side.

 

“Brandon…”

 

The young boy shook his head, trying to ward off the tears that threatened to fall.  “Dad,” he interjected softly, “please, just drop it.”

 

“Jarod…” Sydney whispered out, shaking his head.

 

“But Sydney…”

 

Securing Miss Parker’s bandage around her wrist, Sydney stood up, motioning for Jarod to come with him.  Once they were out of earshot Sydney said, “Jarod, I know you want to help your son, but don’t press him too hard on the subject or he’ll just revert back into his self.”

 

Jarod glanced over at Brandon before turning back to Sydney.  “Syd, how can I standby and not do anything?  I’m his father, and a father is supposed to help their child any way they can.”

 

“Jarod, I’m not saying that you should stand by and watch helplessly as your child drowns within his own inner turmoil, what I’m saying is that when the time comes, just listen and nothing else.”  Sydney paused for a moment, gazing over at Brandon.  “Eventually he will come around.”

 

“And what if he doesn’t, Sydney?” asked Jarod. 

 

Sydney stared thoughtfully at Jarod for a few moments before finally answering.  “We just have to pray that he does.”

 

From across the room, both men were interrupted by Brandon’s cheerful voice.  “Hey guys, Mom’s awake!”  Saying nothing more, both men quickly rushed over.

 

XXXXXX

 

Jarod stood in the doorway, staring across the semi-dark room towards the troubled woman sitting on the cushion seat of the bay window.  He could tell she was lost in her thoughts for she didn’t hear him step into the bedroom that was once theirs.  It saddened him that he couldn’t share his bed with her anymore.

 

“How’s Brandon doing?’ she asked, still staring out the window.

 

Smiling slightly at being noticed, Jarod walked over to where she was sitting and sat on the opposite end of the bay window.  Taking a quick glance out the window he answered, “It didn’t take him long to go to sleep, but I’m still worried about him.”  When his eyes fell upon her moonlit face, he took in a sharp intake of breath.  She was so beautiful, he thought, even sorrowful she looked radiant.

 

Finally tearing her gaze away from the window, Miss Parker looked over at Jarod.  “He’s still tight lipped about his dream?”

 

“Yes, he is,” he replied back, “But, for now, I’ll follow Sydney’s advice and see if he comes to one of us.”

 

Nodding her head, she brought her knees up to her chest, wrapping her arms around her legs.  “So, how is Freud, doing?”

 

Chuckling lightly at the nickname Jarod said, “He’s resting as we speak.”  Gazing out the window once again, he stared out across fog filled night.  “I don’t know what he was thinking, trying to drive in this kind of weather.  Luckily, he took you up on your offer.”

 

“Does he have enough blankets and pillows in the guestroom?” she asked.

 

Staring back at her he smiled.  “Don’t worry, he’ll be fine,” he reassured her.  Silence filled the air once again as both stared out the window.

 

After some time, Miss Parker finally broke the silence.  “Are you staying here tonight?” she asked uncertainly.

 

“I would like too,” he answered, then added quickly, “If that’s alright with you?”

 

“That’s fine,” she answered back, swinging her legs down to the floor.  When she used her hands to push herself off the window, she instantly winced in pain.  Cradling her throbbing wrist, she tried to rub away the intense pain from her hand.

 

Jarod was by her side in an instant.  Gently grasping her right arm he said, “Here, let me have a look.”

 

Miss Parker tried to take back her hand.  “I’m fine, Jarod.  It’s nothing I can’t handle.”

 

However, Jarod didn’t let go.  “Nonsense,” he replied back, leading her to the bathroom.  He frowned at what he saw.  “It looks pretty swollen.”  Letting go of her hand he said, “Listen, why don’t you draw yourself a bath, and I’ll go downstairs and get an ice pack for you, okay?”  Before she had a chance to protest, Jarod kissed the top of her knuckle, flashing a boyish smile as he quickly left the room.

 

Taking the stairs two at a time, he ran into the kitchen and began the task of making an ice pack.  Once he had that finished, he was about to bolt out of the room once more when he realized that neither he or Parker had anything for dinner.  Walking back into the room, he laid the ice pack down on the counter.  Going over to the refrigerator, he pulled out cheese, ham, and mustard.  Grabbing a loaf of bread, he pulled out some slices and began to make some sandwiches.  Once that was done, he rummaged through the pantry, grabbing a bag of chips.  Getting a couple bottle waters, he made his way back upstairs.

 

Balancing the items in his arms, he could hear Parker cursing behind the bedroom door.  Knocking lightly, he opened the door to let himself in.  Placing the items down on the dresser, Jarod looked up to find a very agitated Parker fumbling with the buttons on her shirt.  Walking up to her he asked, “What’s the problem?”

 

“This damn shirt is the problem!” she spat out.  “Why do they have to put so many buttons on this damn thing?”

 

Smiling inwardly, he asked, “Do you need any help?”

 

“No,” she gritted through her teeth as she struggled with the buttons.

 

Seeing that her hand wasn’t very useful to her, he took a step closer, placing his hands on top of hers.  She didn’t resist him as he gently pulled them away placing them at her sides.  When he reached up and placed his hands on the first button of her shirt, his mind began to swim as he realized what he was doing.  He was about to undress Parker.  The room seemed to get hotter by the second as his fingers lingered on the lone button.  Mouth becoming dry, he swallowed down the lump in his throat as he unbuttoned the first button.  His fingers slightly trembled as he made his way down her shirt.  He hadn’t felt this nervous since he and Parker first made love all those years ago.  Trying to shake the pleasant thought from his mind, he quickly undid the last button.  Seeing she still had her jeans left, he looked away from her and said, “I’ll wait outside until you’re done.”  Turning on his heels he was about to leave, when Parker grabbed his hand.

 

“Jarod, I…I still need help…with my jeans.  I tried to unfasten them before, but my hand wouldn’t cooperate.  Could you…”  Cheeks reddening slightly, she averted her eyes from his.

 

“Are…are you sure?” Jarod stammered out.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Okay.”  Trying to get control of his nerves, he went back to her, doing his best to avoid her eyes and his hands.  Taking quick glances below, his hands grabbed the waistband of her jeans.  His fingers glided around the denim fabric until they grazed over the metallic button, quickly unfastening, he then went for her zipper.  Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath, pulling the zipper down.  Looking away from her partially clothed body he said thickly, “All done.”

 

“Not…quite,” she whispered out.  Turning around, she dropped her shirt halfway down her back, revealing her bra.  Moving her long hair out of the way she said quietly, “I...I need you to unhook my bra.  I can’t quite reach it.”

 

Shaking his head, Jarod looked up to the heavens.  This is to cruel, he thought.  Heaving a heavy sigh, Jarod ambled back over to her.  When his fingers touched her back he could’ve sworn she took a sharp intake of breath.  Smiling wryly at her reaction, he unhooked the bra; however, his hands seemed to have a mind of their own as they moved up her body and to her shoulders.  Absently, he began to rub her neck and shoulders.  Parker let out a small groan of satisfaction as her head fell slightly forward.  As he continued to knead away her sore muscles, his eyes roamed the expanse of her exposed neck.  Oh, he was tempted, so very tempted to place his lips upon her silky, smooth skin, but he refrained.  He was a gentleman, and a gentleman was always respectful in the presence of a woman.  For once in his life, he wished he wasn’t.

 

Leaning down beside her ear he whispered, “Does that feel better?”

 

“Mmmm,” she moaned, nodding her head.

 

Smiling, Jarod reluctantly dropped his hands.  “Well, I…I think you can take it from here.”  Glancing at the bathroom he asked, “Did you run a bath already?”

 

Snapping her head up she responded back, “Yeah.”  Pulling her shirt back up, she made her way to the bathroom.  When she closed the door, Jarod let out a deep breath as he plopped down on the king size bed.  With his head in his hands, he fell back on the bed.  What was he doing, the thought kept reverberating through his mind.  In the past, Parker made it perfectly clear that she was over him, but after tonight, it seemed things were beginning to change for them.   The old Parker would’ve suffered than asked for any of his help, but this new Parker was different in so many ways, yet the same.  Maybe she still has feelings for me, he thought hopefully, but then the other part of his brain chimed in, Jarod, stop fooling yourself, she doesn’t love you anymore, don’t let your heart become vulnerable to her.  He was beyond frustrated.  Grabbing a pillow from beside him, he placed it over his face and screamed into it, stifling the sound.  However, this just seemed to make his dilemma worse.  Of course, the pillow just had to smell like her, he mused sardonically.  Chuckling to himself, he threw the pillow aside.

 

Still half lying on the bed, Jarod heard the bathroom door creak open softly.  Pushing himself up on his elbows, he looked across the room staring at an almost embarrassed Parker.  “Jarod, I know this is asking too much, but could you help me with my bath.”

 

His mouth instantly became dry.  Not trusting his voice, he numbly agreed to her request.  When she closed the door once again, he got up and slowly made his way towards the bathroom.  Reaching the door, he could hear water swooshing from inside.  Placing his hand on the knob, he took a couple of deep breaths.  With each passing second, his heart seemed to beat faster.  “Get control of yourself, Jarod,” he muttered under his breath, “It’s only Parker.”  But, it’ll be a naked Parker in a water filled tub, he thought dryly.  Shaking his head, he once again said, “Oh, what a night indeed.”

 

XXXXXX

 

To Be Continued…