Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer:  In first chapter.

 

 

Chapter 33

 

 

“Okay guys, what’s going on?  Why the grim looks?” asked Miss Parker defensively.  Looking across the kitchen table, Sydney’s eyes still remained glued to the cup of coffee sitting in front of him.  Tearing her gaze away from Sydney, she looked over to her right, finding Jarod doing the same thing.  Getting annoyed, she slammed her fist down on the table.  “Answer me!” she demanded, trying her best to keep her voice down.

 

A few seconds passed before Jarod nervously cleared his throat and spoke.  “While you and Josh were outside talking, me and Sydney had a little discussion of our own,” he said, glancing over at Sydney.

 

Miss Parker didn’t like this one bit.  Just when she thought she could move on with her life another road block was about to be thrown in her way once more.  Leaning back in her chair, she folded her arms across her chest an asked calmly, “And what was this conversation about?”

 

“About your past,” Sydney replied back.

 

“And what about my past?” she shot back, trying her best to remain cool.

 

She was once again greeted with silence as the two men before her remained quiet.  Exchanging knowing glances between one another, Jarod turned back to her and replied sympathetically, “About what happened between you and your father 25 years ago.”

 

No, how could they know about that, she thought fearfully.  No one knew about what happened that night.  It was a painful secret that she kept hidden from everyone around her, including the two men before her.  “You don’t know anything!” she yelled back at them, abruptly standing up, knocking her chair to the ground.  Turning her back on them, she walked over to a nearby window, staring out across the back lawn.

 

“Parker,” said Jarod, standing up from his chair, “Sydney, told me about what happened that night.”  Taking a few steps, he stood behind her, but not to closely.  He still wanted to give her some space.

 

Years of pent up memories came flooding back from that night.  As Jarod continued talking behind her about what happened to ‘his’ Parker, her mind went elsewhere, to a night she thought she would never relive again.  Back to the night her father found out about her plans to help Jarod break out of the Centre.

 

25 Years Earlier

 

Mr. Parker’s House

 

“What is the meaning of this?” asked a furious Mr. Parker.

 

Startled out of her studying, a seventeen year old Miss Parker stared up into the angry eyes of her father.  She knew he was drunk from the alcohol that wafted from him.  It was the anniversary of her mother’s death, and he coped the best way he could by downing large quantities of single malt scotch.  It was a yearly tradition that Miss Parker despised with a passion.  She made a vow to herself the first time she found her father passed out on the couch to never touch the amber colored alcohol.

 

Putting her pencil down she asked innocently, “What are you talking about Daddy?”

 

“Don’t play dumb with me young lady,” he warned, pointing a shaking finger at her.

 

“I…I really don’t know what you’re talking about?” she stammered out, wringing her hands nervously.  She never seen her father this angry before and it scared her slightly.

 

He glared at her a few seconds before reaching behind his back and pulling a small, leather bound book.  “This,” he spat out, throwing the item in question down on the desk, knocking over her glass of soda.

 

She cringed inwardly as she watched the dark soft drink stain her homework papers.  How was she going to explain that to her teacher?

 

“You know…Raines told me you were just like your mother, and I defended you against his accusations, but after reading that…that nonsense, I now know that you are truly your mother’s daughter, and that sickens me,” he snarled.

 

Tears welled up in Miss Parker’s eyes.  How could he say such horrible things about her mother?  Didn’t he love her?  Trying to remain stoic, she finally looked down at the book that was thrown on her desk.  She gasped, realizing what the item was.  It was her diary.  Anger and fear coursed through her as she picked up the one item that held her inner most secrets.  “You…you read this?” she accused.

 

Stumbling over to her bed, he plopped down, almost falling off the edge.  “I read every word…front to back.”  Face softening he asked, “How could you betray me like this, Angel?”

 

No, don’t fall for this pathetic guilt trip of his, the thought kept running through her mind like a mantra, however, seeing her father’s pitiful looking face made her lose her will.  “Daddy…I know how this looks, but how can you sit there and tell me that keeping Jarod and Angelo locked up at the Centre is okay?  They have family out there.”

 

Her father looked up from the floor, locking eyes with her.  He stared at her thoughtfully for a few moments, and then started to laugh.  “You truly are a stupid girl.”

 

Anger blazed in her eyes as she abruptly stood up.  “I’m not stupid,” she defended herself.  “Jarod would never lie to me.  He told me about the lies that were fed to him by the Centre.  How could you let Sydney tell him that his parents died in a plane crash all those years ago?  Don’t you have any conscience?”

 

“I don’t have to defend my actions to the likes of you,” he shouted, standing over her.  “Everything I do is for you Angel.  Why can’t you understand that?  Jarod is a valuable asset that the Centre can’t afford to lose.” 

 

“But Daddy, he’s not…”

 

“I don’t care how that lab rat feels,” Mr. Parker interjected harshly. “He’ll stay at the Centre and do what he’s told until the day he dies.”

 

Folding her arms across her chest, Miss Parker began to pace back and forth, feeling frustrated with the whole situation.  “No he won’t,” she whispered under her breath.

 

Mr. Parker roughly grabbed her by the arm, turning her around to face him.  “What did you say?” he growled out.

 

Raising her chin up defiantly she replied back, “You heard what I said.”

 

The room remained silent as father and daughter stared at each other with determined eyes, neither wanting to back down.  “You think you have everything figured out don’t you, in that pathetic excuse you call a diary?  The plan you written down inside your little book wouldn’t have worked anyway,” said Mr. Parker.

 

“And why is that?” she inquired, trying her best to remain cool and collective under her father’s scrutinizing eyes.

 

“Because Jarod told us about your little escape plan,” Mr. Parker simply stated, smiling.

 

“You’re lying.”

 

Mr. Parker raised his eyebrows at her response.  “Am I?”

 

No, it wasn’t true.  Jarod wouldn’t betray her like that.  This was just one of her father’s sick little games, so he wouldn’t lose this little spat they were having between one another.  With her father, winning was everything, and the last thing he wanted was to lose to a teenage girl.  “This is just some little ruse of yours, so you can win this pathetic fight.”

 

Mr. Parker swayed a little, using her desk chair to keep from falling.  “Well then Angel, since you know Jarod so well, do you want to know how I found your diary?” he asked, chuckling to himself.

 

Miss Parker’s expression never faltered, but inside her world was crumbling within.  Only two people knew where she kept her diary—herself, and Jarod.  Not even her father knew where she kept it stashed, away from his prying eyes.  “Jarod wouldn’t have told you on his own free will, so I’m guessing it was forced out of him, or more like beaten out of him,” she said evenly.  “Am I right?”

 

Perching himself on her desk, he clasped his hands, looking smug as ever.  “Angel, I’m only looking out for your best interest.  Why can’t you see that Jarod is using you for his own personal gain?”  He paused for a moment and continued, “Tell me this, what did you think would happen once Jarod got out of the Centre, hmm?”

 

Miss Parker felt like a deer caught in the headlights as her brain seemed to pick the one inopportune time to cease functioning.  “I…I…,” was all she could say.  She didn’t want to look like a fool in front of her father, but that was what she felt like.  Feeling frustrated tears welled up in her eyes, she tore her gaze away from her father’s all knowing stare.

 

Standing up on wobbly legs, Mr. Parker slowly made his way over to his daughter.  Resting his hands on her shoulders he said, “Angel, once he got a taste of freedom, he would’ve left you behind without a second thought.  The only person Jarod cares about is himself and no one else.”

 

Miss Parker shook her head from side to side not wanting to believe her father’s words.  “Daddy, he does care about me, you just can’t see it.”  Looking into his eyes she added, “Jarod deserves a life outside of the Centre walls.  I want to see him happy, please just tell him where his family is.”

 

Mr. Parker scowled at his daughters pleas.  “Angel, he doesn’t have family.  What Sydney told him wasn’t a lie, they are dead in every since of the word.”

 

Shrugging his hands off her shoulders she shot back, “I know you’re lying because I’ve already seen the evidence.  Angelo showed me and Jarod the forged papers.”

 

Mr. Parker’s face hardened, fists clenched at his sides.  “I don’t believe this.  You’re going to believe some bumbling idiot over your own father,” he hissed out, taking a step closer towards her.

 

“Angelo is a lot smarter than most people give him credit for,” she defended her friend.  “Why would he lie about this?  What does Angelo have to gain?”

 

Taking a few more steps, Mr. Parker stood in front of his daughter.  “Have you ever wondered why your mother killed herself?”

 

“What?” she asked, getting annoyed with her father’s questions.

 

A sly smile graced his lips.  “She killed herself because of them.”  He paused for a moment an added, “And you.”

 

Miss Parker adamantly shook her head from side to side.  “Mama loved me,” she stated softly.

 

“Love,” her father scoffed.  “If that woman loved you so much then why would she kill herself in front of her own daughter?  Face it Angel, your mother only loved herself.  She was a selfish woman that took the easy way out, leaving you all alone.”

 

“You’re wrong, Daddy,” she cried out.  “I didn’t drive Mama to suicide.”

 

Getting tired of her theatrics, he roughly grabbed her by the upper arms.  “Stop this crying and get control of yourself!  I won’t have you shed any more tears for that woman, she doesn’t deserve them.  As for Jarod, I think its time you stop coming to the Centre.  This…bond you have between one another isn’t healthy, and it’s deteriorating Jarod’s work.”

 

Trying to break free from her father she shot back, “No, you won’t keep me from Jarod.  He’s all I got.  Don’t take him away from me.  I need him.”

 

“Sorry Angel, but Centre business takes precedence over matters of the heart, and I won’t have yours tainted by the meager lab rat living in the sub levels of the Centre,” said Mr. Parker evenly.  “As for your punishment, you’ll be shipped off to Connecticut and finish out your remaining school years at the prestigious Cambridge All Girls Academy.”

 

A few tears slid down her face.  “Please Daddy, don’t do this to me.  Please don’t send me away.”

 

“Sorry Angel, but it must be done.  Your compassion for the two lab rats is an embarrassment that I won’t tolerate anymore.” 

 

Finally breaking free from his grasp, Miss Parker stared daggers at him.  “I hate you, you cold hearted bastard!” she yelled, smacking him in the face.  Pushing him aside, Miss Parker ran past him and out her bedroom door.  Tears cascaded down her cheeks as thoughts of never seeing Jarod again floated through her mind.  The Centre, her father, Mr. Raines were not going to win, she knew what she had to do.  She needed to move up her time schedule and break out Jarod an Angelo tonight.  This was her one chance to make everything right.

 

Rounding the corner, she smiled when she saw the flight of stairs in front of her.  She would be down them in the flash and out the door before her father knew what hit him.  Still smiling at the thought, she made her way to the top of the steps. 

 

Laying a hand on the banister, she reached out and took a step, however that was as far as she got when someone from behind grabbed her, yanking her back up.  Whirled around, she came face to face with a furious Mr. Parker.  A small amount of blood graced his bottom lip, making him look more sinister.  She winced, feeling his strong fingers wrapping around her small upper arms, holding her in a vice like grip.  Jaw clenched, he shook her and yelled, “You little good for nothing bitch!  How dare you hit me?”  Before she had a chance to defend herself, Mr. Parker smacked her across the face.

 

Stars danced within her eyes as she slowly brought her face back around.  Stunned, tear filled eyes stared up at her father’s face.  This was the first time her father had ever hit her.  “You…you hit me?” she said, part statement part question.

 

Her father’s fingers gripped her more tightly.  “And I’ll do it again if you don’t do as I say.  Now enough of these childish games, we need to start packing your suitcases for tomorrow.”  Letting go of her one arm, he tried to steer her back to her bedroom, but Miss Parker stood firmly in place.

 

“Daddy, I don’t want to go,” she pleaded, trying to break free from her father.

 

Turning to her, he let out an exasperated sigh.  “Angel, there comes a time in everyone’s life when we have to make sacrifices for the greater good.  This is your time.  In order for you to become the best you can be, you’ll have to give up this silly friendship that you have with Jarod.”

 

“Our friendship isn’t silly,” she replied back angrily.  “Out of anything, he’s been the one constant in my life.”

 

“That boy has been nothing but a nuisance.  Creating these wild fantasies of you being a veterinarian.  No daughter of mine will be wasting her time and energy on pathetic animals,” he spat out.

 

Miss Parker could feel her anger boiling over.  “Why do you always have to crush my dreams?  Why can’t you let me be happy?”

 

Leaning closer, he said evenly, “Just like Jarod, you’re an important asset to the Centre.”  He paused and added, “More than you realize.  Your destiny is to rule the Centre.”

 

An eerie feeling washed over Miss Parker.  “What are you talking about?”

 

Trying to pull her away from the staircase he replied back, “You’ll find out in due time, now come along.”

 

“No!” she shouted, ripping her arm away from his hold.  Taking a few steps back, she tried to rub away the soreness from her arms.  “I’m not going to Connecticut.  I won’t be your little puppet anymore.” 

 

Sighing, Mr. Parker walked over to his daughter.  “Why must you make everything so difficult?”  Without warning, he quickly reached up, grabbing her.  “Don’t say I didn’t warn you.  Always remember Angel, when you play with fire prepared to get burned.”

 

“Daddy no!” shouted Miss Parker.  However, her plea fell on deaf ears as her father threw her down the stairs.  The last image she saw before she passed out was her father on the phone, calling the Centre.

 

“Raines, get the infirmary ready.  My daughter had an unfortunate accident at home.  Get some sweepers over here now,” Mr. Parker ordered.

 

XXXXXX

 

Present Day

 

Miss Parker remembered waking up a few days later in the Centre infirmary.  The doctors told her she had a broken left arm, two broken ribs, and that they had to do surgery because of her internal bleeding.  Why was she such a fool to put her trust in her father?  The man didn’t deserve it, but being the naïve fool that she was, she forgave her father for that night as he promised to make things right between the two of them.

 

She still went to the Academy in Connecticut, not wanting to place herself in front of her father’s wrath once again.  Her father was happy for her obedience, so he rewarded her with lavish gifts.  Designer clothes, expensive jewelry, money, unlimited use of credit cards, and even a brand new car, but still, it didn’t quench the loneliness that surrounded her heart.

 

Soon, she graduated from the all girls’ school and got accepted to Yale University.  She thought for sure her father would be ecstatic that she got into an Ivy League college, however he wasn’t.  Mr. Parker wanted her to go to Harvard and was disappointed with her decision to accept Yale as her college of choice. 

 

Feeling depressed with her life, she sought out the one thing that she thought she would never turn to—alcohol.  Purposefully taking her father’s favorite brand of scotch, she started downing the amber liquid trying to somehow escape her father’s disappointed looks and words.  And, for those few bliss filled hours she did get away.  She felt free. 

 

When she woke up the next morning, passed out on the floor of her father’s study, reality came crashing down around her.  And she realized, no matter how much she drank, her problems, her loneliness; this empty feeling living inside her would never go away. 

 

As the bright sun rose in the east, she knew from this day on she would never be the same.

 

Only one person could fill the gaping hole within her heart.  A person she was never supposed to treat as a human being, never as an equal—her childhood friend, Jarod.  He was the one constant in her life, and she chased after him like he was some kind of zoo animal that was a danger to society.  But, her father’s approval, his love took precedence over Jarod’s well being.  How could she betray him like that?

 

Tears trickled down her cheeks as she stared out the window; however what caught her attention was her reflection in the window.  And, she realized with haunting clarity that she wasn’t her mother’s daughter, but something more sickening.  She became Mr. Parker.  Shaking her head from side to side as if the simple act would shake the painful realization from her mind, she brought her left fist up, and slammed it into the window, shattering it into smaller pieces while screaming over and over again, “I don’t want to be you, I won’t be your little Angel anymore!  Never again!”

 

She could feel someone behind her, grabbing her around the waist, pulling her away from the broken window.  Once again, reality came crashing around her.  Looking down at her hand, blood gushed from the wound.  Looking up into Jarod’s caring eyes she whispered out softly, “I…I cut myself.”  Then, everything faded to black.

 

XXXXXXX

 

To Be Continued…