Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer:  In first chapter.

 

 

Chapter 29

 

 

A half an hour later, Miss Parker and Jarod were sitting in Detective Henderson’s office.  Broots offered to stay out in the waiting area with the kids while they talked in here.  Sam would’ve stayed, but he got called out about a five car pile up on route 3.  Dragging Eli with him, they left ten minutes earlier.

 

Getting comfortable in his desk chair, the detective let out a collective sigh as he leaned forward, resting his arms on top of the desk with his hands clasped together.  “I want to apologize earlier for Brad.  He shouldn’t have been in there with your kids.  The rookie we had posted outside of Wilkins office got distracted when another officer dragged in a drunk who just didn’t want to come in quietly.”

 

The two people in front of him didn’t say anything, just nodded their head in agreement.  Leaning back in his chair, Henderson opened up the file he had on his desk.  “Well, like I said earlier, the drug tests on Sarah came back negative.  If Debbie heard right, and Brad did give Sarah the drug, GHB, then we never had a chance to begin with.  But, I’m hoping all that will change with the evidence we collected from Debbie and her fingernails.”

 

Miss Parker leaned forward.  “What do you mean we never had a chance?”

 

“Well, GHB, is a tricky drug to prove.  For one, it doesn’t last long in the system, and with your daughter throwing up beforehand, we most likely wouldn’t have found any traces anyway.  Secondly, there’s the other side effect of short term memory loss.”  Looking across the desk, he could see the grim looks on their faces.  “But, you have to look on the bright side, we did get evidence from Debbie.  The only bad thing is the waiting part, since we won’t be able to get the results until Monday or Tuesday.”

 

“So, what’s going to happen to Brad?” asked Miss Parker.

 

Henderson began to fidget in his seat as he nervously rubbed the back of his neck.  “Unfortunately, he’s free to go…for right now anyways,” he quickly added on. 

 

Leaning back in her chair she commented sarcastically, “Figures, you’ve just got to love the American justice system.  Let the guilty walk free while the innocent ones suffer.”

 

“I know it’s frustrating…”

 

“Don’t,” she interjected harshly.  Glaring at the detective she continued, “You’re lucky we aren’t suing this department for what happened tonight.”  Turning to Jarod she said, “I’m done here, if you need me, I’ll be out in the waiting area with Broots and the kids.”  Getting up from her seat, she strode determinedly to the door and quickly exited the room.

 

Turning around in his seat, Jarod looked across the desk to find a slightly shaken Henderson.  Trying to stifle his smile Jarod said, “You’ll have to excuse her.  She’s just upset with everything that’s happened tonight.”

 

Henderson did his best to seem unfazed, but Jarod saw easily through the act.  Pretending to shuffle papers on the desk, the detective replied back, “Yeah, well, I can’t say I blame her.”  He paused for a moment, looking up at Jarod.  “Is she always that intimidating?  I mean, she makes Mike Tyson look like a boy scout.”

 

Jarod chuckled to himself.  “Sometimes it’s hard to distinguish between her bite and her bark.”

 

“Well, I’ll hate to see how she acts towards someone she actually hates,” the detective added light heartily.  Getting up from his chair Henderson said, “Well, I think we’re done here.  You just have to sign some papers and then you’re free to go home with your family.”

 

Nodding in agreement, Jarod got up from his chair and followed the detective out the door.  They were halfway down the hall, when a familiar face stepped out.  Stopping dead in his tracks Jarod commented with surprise, “Alex…”

 

Looking up at the mention of his name, Alex’s head quickly shot up.  His face remained expressionless.  “Well, well, well, if it isn’t Mr. Altruism.”  They remained silent for a moment before Alex broke into a huge grin.  Going over to Jarod, he slapped him on the arm.  “Hey buddy, what the hell are you doing here?”

 

Detective Henderson signaled to Jarod that he would be at the front desk.  Nodding his head, Jarod looked back at Alex.  “Well, it seems my kids got into a little bit of trouble tonight with Cox’s son, Brad.”

 

“Oh, so you must’ve just found out about that little snot,” Alex commented evenly.  “Who knew Andrew could be a father?”  Pausing momentarily Alex continued, “Hey, do you remember when we first started at the firm how we played that prank on him.”

 

Jarod laughed at the memory.  It was all Alex’s idea he remembered.  They made a sign that said…

 

I’m a woman trapped in a man’s body.

 

Honk if you like wearing women’s clothing too.

 

Once the sign was made, they snuck out to the parking lot right before lunch break and taped it too the back of Cox’s car.  Since Cox always backed in his car whenever he parked, he never noticed the sign until seven hours later, least to say, he wasn’t to happy about the little prank.

 

Still chuckling to himself, Jarod said, “Yeah, I still remember.  We had some good times back then, didn’t we?”

 

“Yeah, we sure did.  But, with you gone, I guess you can say I became the big, hot shot lawyer,” Alex joked.  He remained silent for a moment an asked, “So, how are you doing with the less fortunate cases?”

 

Looking down at his feet, Jarod stuck his hands in his pockets.  That was the one thing that was different between him and Alex.  When Jarod became a lawyer he wanted to help people get justice for the wrongs that were done against them, no matter if they were broke poor.  Alex on the other hand was all about the money and prestige.  Even though he agreed with Jarod’s tactics on the politician’s son’s case, Alex just couldn’t leave his dream job, which disappointed Jarod somewhat.  “Everything’s going great.  I might not be raking in the big bucks, but I’m happy with what I’m doing.”

 

Alex smiled at him.  “Always the old Jarod, always trying to put a positive spin on things.”

 

Jarod shrugged his shoulders.  “Well, what can I say, my life just wouldn’t suit most people,” he replied back, hoping Alex took the hint.

 

Alex’s grin got broader.  “True, but still, I love my life.  I’ve got all the money I want and have a different woman every week.  Life can’t get any better.”

 

Jarod wanted to say something, but decided against it.  Looking down at his watch he commented, “Well, I better get going or Parker will have my neck.”

 

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, are you and Parker back together again?” Alex asked curiously.

 

“I…it’s complicated,” Jarod responded back.

 

Understanding, Alex changed the subject.  “If I may ask, what did Brad do tonight?”

 

Jarod explained everything to him, from the frat party, to the drugs, to his son and Brad getting into a fight, and everything else.  Once he was done he said, “Thankfully, this night is almost over.  I just got to sign some papers and then we’ll be out of here.”

 

“Well, I better let you go.”  Jarod was about to leave when Alex grabbed his arm.  “Jarod, I’m saying this as a friend, but be careful of Brad.”

 

Jarod could sense the nervousness that radiated from his once over confident friend as his eyes darted around anxiously.  Taking a step closer Jarod whispered out, “Alex if you know something, tell me.”

 

“Let’s just say Brad has friends in high places if you know what I mean,” Alex hinted with uneasiness.  “And you can’t get any higher than your father-in-law’s law firm.”

 

Jarod gaped at him.  “Wait, are you telling me that Brad is involved with Mr. Parker?”

 

“Listen, all I’m saying is be careful.”  Hearing a door open behind him, Alex stepped away from him and went back into the room with his client.

 

Jarod continued to stare absentmindedly at the closed door, to shocked at what he just heard.  Would Mr. Parker really stoop that low, sending a suspected rapist to date his granddaughter, so Jarod would drop his investigation into Catherine’s death?  Jarod didn’t want to believe someone could be that heartless against their own blood, but again, this was Mr. Parker he was dealing with.  Anything was possible.

 

Jarod’s thoughts then went quickly to Brandon and what happened to him earlier tonight.  Brandon said he never got a good look at the guy’s face, but he did give a slight description of what the guy looked like, and truth be told, Brad did fit the profile.  Jarod didn’t like the conclusion his mind was leading him too, but he couldn’t deny the proof that was unfolding before him.  Was it possible?  Was Brad the one who locked Brandon in the equipment room at the game?  Quickly turning on his heels, Jarod ran down the hallway.

 

XXXXXX

 

“Brad, your extracurricular activities are becoming a nuisance.  My superiors won’t stand by and let you drag down the firm with you,” Mr. Cox said furiously.  “You’re drawing to much unwanted attention from the law enforcement agencies.”

 

Brad stared at his father with hate filled contempt.  “You know what, screw you and your superiors.  You and those old men can go piss up an oak tree for all I care.  They won’t run my life.”

 

Without warning, Mr. Cox backhanded Brad across the face.  “No, we can’t run your life, but we can end it if we feel it’s necessary,” Cox threatened.

 

Brad looked at him with stunned eyes as he cradled his throbbing cheek with his hand.  “But, I’m your son, you’re my father, you’re supposed to protect me.”

 

“You’re my son when I deem it’s necessary.”  Ushering Brad to his parked black Mercedes he said, “Come along now, my superiors want to meet with you.  You have some explaining to do.”

 

XXXXXX

 

Miss Parker was driving back home in Jarod’s car.  When they left the police station, she could tell something was on Jarod’s mind.  When she asked him about it, all he told her was wait till they got home.  Obviously it was something serious since he didn’t want to talk in front of Josh and Sarah.

 

Checking the rearview mirror, she found another pair of headlights following her.  Since her and Sarah were still at odds with one another, Jarod and her both decided it was best if Josh rode with her, while Jarod followed behind her in Josh’s Jeep, with Sarah riding along with him.  Turning her attention back to the road, she continued to drive.

 

The road before her seemed to go on endlessly.  Trying to stifle a yawn, she glanced over at Josh.  He was still awake, massaging his temples as he looked straight ahead.  Miss Parker could see his bottom lip was cut and slightly puffy from the fight he had with Brad tonight.  Oh, if only she could’ve traded spots with Josh.  Never in her life had she wanted to inflict so much bodily harm on one person as she did with Brad.  When he turned to look at her, he quickly dropped his hands.

 

Turning her eyes back to the road she asked, “Are you okay?”

 

She could hear the slightest smile in his voice as he answered back, “Yeah, I’m okay.  I’ve just got a little headache that’s all.”  Gazing back at him again, she could see Josh grimacing in pain as he rested his head against the headrest with his eyes closed.

 

“Are you sure,” she asked.

 

“I said I’m fine,” he snapped at her.  Seeing her startled expression, his face softened.  “I’m sorry Mom, I’m just tired.  It’s just been one of those crazy nights.”

 

“I know, it’s just that I can see you’re in pain,” she replied back gently.  “Is it a migraine?”

 

Josh opened his eyes and looked out the passenger side window.  “I don’t know, maybe,” he shrugged as he rubbed his forehead. 

 

“What do you mean by that?” she asked curiously.

 

“Nothing.”

 

“Tell me,” she replied back.  “Now.”

 

Josh shook his head.  “No, you’re going to think I’m crazy or something.”

 

Looking back at the road, she smiled at his words.  “Josh, join the club.” 

 

Chuckling, he said jokingly, “Okay, whatever you say Mommy Dearest.”  As their laughter subsided he said, “Tonight, when we were at that party in the bathroom, something happened between me and Sarah.  I don’t know how to explain it.”

 

“Go on,” she urged.

 

“Well, you know, ever since we were kids, we always had that twin thing going on between us.  We always knew when the other one was hurt, in trouble, happy, or sad.  Of course, you probably understand since you have the same thing with Uncle Bobby,” Josh said back.

 

Unfortunately, Miss Parker had no clue about the secret bond between twins.  Personally she was glad.  The last thing she wanted to do was to get inside Lyle’s warped mind.  “Yes, I know what you mean,” she lied.

 

“Well, what happened tonight was something different.”  He paused momentarily before continuing.  “Ever since my sixteenth birthday I’ve been getting these awful migraines about three times a month.  I know I probably should’ve told you sooner, but I didn’t want to worry you.  Anyways, what happened tonight was pretty intense.”

 

Miss Parker’s thoughts began to wonder to earlier when she and Jarod were sitting on the porch talking about Thomas.  Just the thought of Thomas’ name flooded her with guilt.  If it wasn’t for her, he would still be alive.  See that’s what happens when you love someone Parker, they die.   When will you learn, you’re not meant to love anyone.   Sarah, was right, you’re love is a disease—a deadly one, her thoughts floated through her mind.  Trying to shake the unpleasant thoughts from her head, she remembered a little bit later when her inner sense began to take over before her mother’s voice came through, warning her of the danger to the children.  She wondered, did Josh and Sarah experience these same warnings from her mother.  Did they have the inner sense?

 

“One minute I was standing there, perfectly fine when all of a sudden this white light flashed through my mind, sending this shooting pain through my skull.  Then…I heard the voices.”  Josh stopped talking, thinking he sounded crazy.

 

Turning to him Miss Parker asked, “What did you hear?”

 

“You know what, Mom, I don’t want to talk about it.”

 

Not wanting to drop the subject at hand she asked again with more determination, “What did you hear?”

 

Sensing the tone in his mother’s voice, he knew she wasn’t asking, she was demanding the answer.  Sighing to himself he answered, “I heard you, or that’s what I first thought, but as the woman continued to speak, I knew it wasn’t you.”  Glancing at his mother, he could see the astonished look on her face.  “See, what did I tell you?  I told you it sounds crazy.”

 

Miss Parker shook her head.  “It doesn’t sound crazy, because…I heard…her too,” she stammered out, still feeling unsure about herself.

 

Josh raised an eyebrow at her.  “Then who is she?” he asked, already knowing the answer, but wanting to hear it from his mother’s mouth.

 

“It’s my mother…your grandmother, Catherine,” she responded back softly.

 

XXXXXXX

 

To Be Continued…