Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first chapter.


Chapter 7


“Miss Parker, are you alright?”

Looking up from her plate, Miss Parker locked eyes with Jarod. “What?”

A small smile played across Jarod’s lips. “I said, are you okay?” Glancing down at her food covered plate then back up to her he said, “We’ve been sitting here for some time, and you have eating anything. Plus, you’re unusually quiet.”

Setting her fork down, her eyes wandered briefly behind Jarod, glancing into the living room. Matthew was lying on the couch watching an old Scooby Doo cartoon, sipping on some orange juice. He seemed to be okay, but Miss Parker knew better.

When Jarod got back from his trip to the hospital, they instantly went to work on Matthew. Running a cold bath, Jarod quickly went to work on setting up his supplies, while Miss Parker undressed the young boy. Handing her the medication, Jarod scooped up Matthew and rushed him into the bathroom. Gently placing him into the tub, Jarod quickly got out of the way as Miss Parker knelt down beside Matthew, running a damp washcloth over the boy’s face.

“Jarod, he’s burning up,” Miss Parker said worriedly, trying to remain as calm as possible, but with Alex showing up out of the blue, her mind was quickly falling into a tailspin, with no quick solution in sight. She wanted to tell Jarod about Alex, but now just didn’t seem the time. She hoped Alex was bluffing with his threat, but she knew she was just fooling herself if she continued to believe that.

Crouching down beside Miss Parker, Jarod lightly grasped Matthew’s chin, tilting it up. Bringing the small plastic cup up to his lips, Jarod urged softly for the boy to open his mouth. After a few seconds, Matthew parted his lips, taking the medicine into his mouth. With half lidded eyes, Matthew glanced up between the two adults. “Mommy…” he said faintly, his blue eyes closing shut again.

“Jarod?”

Standing up, Jarod replied, “Continuing what you’re doing, I’ll be right back.” Before Miss Parker could ask anymore questions, he was gone.

“Matthew, are you awake?” she asked, gently shaking his shoulders. The boy remained motionless, his head lolling to the side. “Damn you, Alex,” she cursed under her breath, “I’ll make you pay for this.” Glancing back down at Matthew, she wondered how such a hideous creature like Alex, could produce something as beautiful as Matthew. It just wasn’t possible, yet it was.

When she found out about Matthew’s paternity test, she was surprised that Jarod wasn’t the father. Even she thought that Jarod would be the most logical choice, since he was the Centre’s prized pretender, yet, how did Alex become the father? So deep in thought, she didn’t hear Jarod come in behind her. Kneeling beside her once again, Jarod dumped five ice trays full of ice into the bathtub. Now, it was a waiting game.

Matthew’s fever finally broke some time later, but Miss Parker knew Matthew wasn’t out of the woods yet. Laying Matthew back down on the bed, Jarod busied himself with the other items that were in the box he brought from the hospital. She wanted to tell Jarod about Alex, but every time she opened her mouth, she stopped herself from saying anything as Alex’s words floated through her mind.

Our son’s life is now in your hands…

She knew Alex was somewhere nearby, taking delight in his latest actions against them.

Jarod ran tests on Matthew, but found nothing out of the ordinary. All evidence pointed to influenza. Miss Parker knew that whatever Alex gave Matthew had to be Centre manufactured, probably some type of bio terrorism that could be sold to the highest bidder. The thought made her sick.

Time wore on, and Matthew actually seemed to be getting better, but she knew this was the calm before the storm. Alex was one methodical bastard, and he would stop at nothing to win this sick little game of his.

Miss Parker was broken from her thoughts when Jarod snapped his fingers in front of her. “Hello? Earth to Parker.”

A wan smile graced Miss Parker’s lips. “I’m sorry, Jarod. I’m just can’t help but worry about him.”

Waving his hands in the air, Jarod joked, “Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold the presses, did I hear right? Did Miss Parker just apologize?”

“Shut up,” she laughed softly as she began clearing the table.

Grinning at her, he stood up and helped cleared the table. “Well, you know I had to say something. I couldn’t let an opportunity like that pass.”

Still smiling, Miss Parker turned on the faucet. Grabbing one of the dirty dishes from the counter, she stole a quick glance outside. Blood running cold, the dish slipped from her hands, crashing to the floor.

Jarod was beside her in an instant. “Miss Parker, are you really okay? You know you can talk to me. We’re on the same team now,” Jarod said with concern, picking up the shards of glass. “You don’t have to keep everything inside.”

“It’s nothing,” she snarled back. Seeing the hurt look on Jarod’s face, her eyes softened. “I’m sorry…It’s just that…that…”

“Is everything okay in here?” came Matthew’s voice from the entryway, his eyes taking in the scene before him, concern etched across his face.

Putting on her best fake smile she replied back, ‘Everything’s fine, baby. Now go back to the couch and rest.” Distracted with Matthew, Miss Parker accidentally cut herself with one of the shards of glass. “Damn it,” she cursed under her breath.

“Mommy’s bleeding!” cried Matthew, running to his mother. Before the young boy came any closer, Jarod stopped him. “Let me go! My mommy’s hurt!” exclaimed Matthew, trying to break free from Jarod’s strong hold.

Kneeling down in front of Matthew, Jarod said, “Your Mommy’s okay. She just has a boo boo.”

Tears welled up in Matthew’s eyes as he stared intently into Jarod’s. “You’ll fix her, make her pain go away.”

Silence filled the room as both Jarod and Miss Parker took in the double meaning behind the three and half year old boy’s words. Looking over his shoulder, Jarod locked eyes with her and answered, “I’ll try.”

Hearing the sincerity in his voice was to much as Miss Parker averted her eyes from his. How could she go through with Alex’s plan? If she deceived Jarod, she was no better than them—Lyle, Raines, Cox, her father, and even Alex. But, on the other hand, she just couldn’t risk her son’s life, and if that meant returning Jarod to the pits of hell, then so be it. Unshed tears burned in her eyes as she washed her cut under the faucet.

“Here, let me,” Jarod said softly, sitting Matthew on the other side of the counter so he could watch.

“I can…”

Placing a finger on her lips he said, “I know you can, but let me help you.” Grabbing the first aid kit from under the sink, Jarod quickly opened it, and began to clean the cut. Once her hand was bandaged, Matthew wanted to inspect Jarod’s work.

“Mommy’s pain's gone?” asked Matthew with wide eyes, still holding her hand.

Miss Parker shrugged her shoulders and replied back honestly, “Somewhat.”

Matthew smiled. “I know how to make it better.” Miss Parker watched in awe as Matthew brought her hand up, placing a kiss on the cut. “See, boo boo all gone.” Shoving Miss Parker’s hand at Jarod, Matthew said, “Jarod, kiss Mommy’s boo boo, and make the pain go away.”

Both instantly rejected the idea, saying she didn’t need it; however Matthew wasn’t having any of their excuses as he began to cry crocodile tears. Feeling guilty, Jarod lightly grasped her wrist.

“Jarod, you don’t have to. He’s just throwing a little tantrum,” Miss Parker uttered out quickly. Glancing behind her, she could see a small, mischievous smile tugging at Matthew’s lips. What a conniving little sneak, she thought. Shaking her head, she turned back around.

She ceased breathing as Jarod slowly brought her hand up. Turning her palm over, so the cut faced upward, Jarod placed a gentle, lingering kiss on top of the bandage.

Still gazing at Jarod, Matthew asked behind her, “Mommy, did Jarod make it all better?”

She stared at Jarod for a few moments, pondering Matthew’s question when she finally answered, “Yes, he made it all better.” Seeing Jarod blush before her brought a smile to her face.

Averting his eyes, Jarod rubbed the back of his neck nervously. Clearing his throat he said, “Well, I better get this little guy back in bed.” Shuffling past Miss Parker, Jarod scooped up Matthew.

Clapping his hands happily, Matthew shouted, “Do airplane, like Uncle Ethan!”

Jarod was happy to oblige. Once Matthew was situated in his arms, the small boy received a quick kiss from his mother, before Jarod took him out of the room.

When they were gone, Miss Parker walked back over to the sink, glancing out the small window. Nervously rubbing her wounded hand, her eyes scanned the backyard, but found nothing out of the ordinary. However, she knew he was out there, ready to strike when the opportunity arose.

XXXXXX

To Be Continued…