Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first chapter

Chapter 9

A deafening silence filled the room. It wasn’t Raines that was behind this but Lyle. Broots looked between Miss Parker and Jarod. Both had disgusted, angry looks on their faces. He knew how they felt, except his emotions were ten times stronger. Without saying anything, he got up from his chair, grabbed Jarod’s car keys and went to the front door.

Miss Parker quickly got up, blocking his way. “Broots, what do you think you’re doing?”

“I was just going to have a nice little talk with your brother, that’s all,” he said calmly.

Miss Parker didn’t like the sound of his voice, it had an eerie calm to it. She couldn’t blame Broots for how he was feeling. It seems all her family ever does is destroy the innocent lives that surrounds them. Taking a hold of Broots’ hands she looked him straight in the eyes, emphasizing her words. “Broots, stop and think about what you’re doing. You’re going to Lyle’s place by yourself, with no help. It’s like you’re the mouse being sent into the snake pit. He’ll eat you alive.” ‘And that could literally happen,’ she thought to herself.

Broots let out a deep sigh. “I know you mean well, Miss Parker. But I can’t let you be involved with this anymore. I don’t want to put your life at risk too.” He looked down at their hands then looked back up. “Please, let me rescue my daughter. I can’t stomach the thought of Lyle being around her.”

Jarod came walking up to them, standing beside Miss Parker. “Broots, give me two hours and I’ll have a plan ready. We’ll then go rescue Debbie.”

Broots knew they wouldn’t let him go by himself. He knew they would take drastic measures to keep him here until they were ready to move. Broots decided to go along with them. He needed to play his part convincingly. He let go of Miss Parker’s hands. Walking over to the couch, he sat down and put his face in his hands, pretending that fatigue was starting to take over. He then let out a fake yawn.

“Broots, why don’t you get some rest and let me and Jarod handle the rescue plans?” Broots was about to protest, but she raised her hand in the air. Letting him know there was no changing her mind about this. “If Lyle happens to call, we’ll wake you up and give you the phone, okay?”

Broots acted like he was contemplating her words. After some time he replied back, “Maybe you’re right, Miss Parker. Sleep does sound like the best medicine for me.”

Miss Parker smiled at him. “You should know by now that I’m always right. There’s no point in fighting it.”

Broots let out a soft chuckle. He got up and stretched. Turning around, he saw Jarod’s gun lying down on the counter. He watched as Jarod went back to the laptop. Luck seemed to be on his side. Jarod’s back was facing the counter. Now he just needed to find a way to divert Miss Parker’s attention long enough.

He made his way over to the kitchen. Deciding that now was the time, he pretended that he was having a coughing fit. He was bent over, holding himself up with the counter. The gun was just inches away from his hand. He got the response he wanted when Miss Parker came over standing beside him, patting his back.

“Broots, are you okay?” she asked with worry.

Through the coughing he responded, “Allergies...must be acting up...need some water.”

Miss Parker quickly went over to the sink, filling a glass up with water. With her back towards Broots, he grabbed the gun, sliding it in his pocket. He looked over at Jarod, who was still typing on the laptop. Neither one saw what he just did.

Miss Parker came back over giving Broots the glass. He took a couple of sips, then put the glass back down. “Thanks. Well, I guess I’m off to bed. Wake me if something comes up.” When he walked away he could feel Miss Parker’s eyes on him. He just hoped that she bought his little act. When he got to the bedroom door, he heard Miss Parker coming towards him. “Shit,” he muttered under his breath.

“Broots, aren’t you forgetting something?” she asked skeptically, She reached out her hand, expecting something to be put there.

“Uh, what are you talking about?”

“Broots, don’t play dumb with me. Where is it?”

“Miss Parker, I...uh don’t know what you’re talking about it?” he replied with mocked bafflement.

She let out an exasperated sigh. “The keys, Broots. Give them to me.”

Relief flooded through his body. “Oh, of course. Sorry about that.” He reached in his pockets, giving her the keys.

Miss Parker wrapped her fingers around the keys, then stood there looking at Broots. Feeling uncomfortable Broots asked, “Is there something else?”

Miss Parker couldn’t shake the ominous feeling that was within her whenever she looked at Broots. Things were only going to get worse before they got better. She gave Broots a reassuring smile and replied, “No, there’s nothing else. Good night.”

“Good night, Miss Parker.” He then went into the bedroom, closing the door behind him.

Miss Parker stood there for a few seconds longer, before heading back out to the living room.

When she came into the kitchen she still found Jarod at the laptop. Taking an empty chair, she brought it over by Jarod, sitting down next to him. “How’s it going?” she asked.

“A very tedious job.” He stopped typing, looking over at Miss Parker. “Is Broots feeling better?”

Miss Parker looked back towards the hallway, expecting Broots to be standing there. Satisfied that he wasn’t, she turned back towards Jarod. “I know he’s not doing well. I get the feeling that he’s keeping something from me, but I can’t figure it out. This whole ordeal is just so frustrating. It just amazes me how far Lyle will go to get what he wants,” she said repulsively.

“Power is Lyle’s drug. Just like a drug addict he’ll do whatever he can to satisfy that compulsion. If he has to hurt people along the way so be it, that’s just his philosophy about things, anyone in his way is damned. Unfortunately, Raines and you created a wrinkle in his pursuit to the top.”

Miss Parker sat back in her chair, letting out a sarcastic chuckle. “Some family I have. They make the Manson family look like the Brady Bunch.”

Jarod rested his hand on top of hers. “Miss Parker, I’m sorry about the hand you were dealt when it comes to family. Always remember, you are nothing like them. You are not a Parker but a Jamison.”

Miss Parker gave a weak smile. She felt a tear slowly run down her cheek. She was going to wipe it away, but Jarod reached it first, swiping the lonely tear away with his thumb. His eyes showed so much compassion and love for her, that it nearly broke her heart. After all the things she’s done to him, he still gives her that look that warms her heart, no matter how thick the ice is around it. The look also scared her because she knew he would die for her.

Breaking the silence she asked, “What do you have planned?”

Jarod reluctantly pulled his hand away from hers, turning back towards the computer screen. “Well, I was thinking...” he stopped mid sentence when he saw Miss Parker rubbing her stomach. “How long have you been in pain?”

Her ulcer was starting to act up again. The worry and stress was taking its toll on her, plus she hadn’t taken her medication today. “Jarod, don’t worry about me, I’m fine. We have more important things to deal with right now.”

Jarod didn’t believe her. He watched as she bit her lower lip to stifle the pain. He reached out his hand to touch her forehead. She jerked her head away from him. “What do you think your doing?” she asked.

“I was checking to see if you were running a fever,” his tone laced with frustration.

She got up, putting more space between them. With her hand still resting on her belly she responded, “And I told you that I’m fine. I don’t...” just then, she doubled over from the pain that shot threw her stomach, traveling through her body.

Jarod quickly got up. “Why do you have to be so stubborn about everything? It would save us both a lot of time if you would just let me help you,” his voice tinged with annoyance.

She raised her head back up to respond back, when all of a sudden Jarod picked her up. “What the hell do you think you’re doing? You’re acting like some kind of caveman. Put me down, now!”

When Jarod got to the couch, he gently laid her down. He grabbed some throw pillows from a chair close by and put them under her head. Looking straight into her eyes he said, “Now, I’m going to see if you’re running a fever. Don’t try anything funny.” He then reached out, resting his palm on her forehead. Jarod then laid the back of his hand on her cheeks. Pulling away, he got up and went to the kitchen.

“What’s the diagnosis, *doctor*,” she asked his retreating form. She got no answer. He came back a few seconds later, carrying with him a wet washcloth, a glass of water, and her bottle of ulcer medication. Looking at the bottle she asked, “How did you get those?”

He sat down on the coffee table across from her and gave her a sheepish smile. “While I was out getting some food, I decided to stop by your house. I figured you might need these.” He set the items he was holding down on the table. He then reached behind him, pulling out her gun. “I know how much you love this gun, so I decided to grab it also, along with your medication.”

“You think of everything don’t you?” She tried to sound venomous, but her voice betrayed her.

Jarod flashed her a smile. “Here, take these,” he offered to her. He watched as she popped the pills into her mouth, and then drank some water. She handed him back the glass and set it aside. “Now, I want you to lay back and rest for a bit. Your head feels warm, but I think you’ll be okay. I got this cold compress for you to put on your forehead.”

‘This is ridiculous,’ she thought to herself. She went to sit back up, but Jarod pushed her back down again. “Jarod, you’re really starting to irk me. You need me to help you. Besides, I can’t sit around and do nothing.”

“I know I need your help. I haven’t denied that, but you need to rest and get better. Humor me, okay?

She gave him a baffled look. “Fine.”

He let out a sigh and put the washcloth on her forehead. “Now rest, okay? Doctor’s orders,” he said with mocked sternness.

Miss Parker tried to stifle her smile, but she couldn’t. “Whatever you say doctor.”

Jarod stood back up. He grabbed the quilt that was sitting by her feet and pulled it up over her. He had to catch himself for a second, as he was about to lean down and place a kiss on her cheek. He quickly stood back up and went back to his laptop, looking for a way to get Debbie out of this safe and sound.

Meanwhile, Broots was in his bedroom, pacing back and forth. He hated lying to Miss Parker and Jarod, but this was something he had to do. He couldn’t wait any longer. Each passing second to him felt like he was slowly killing his daughter, the only family left in his life.

As much as he appreciated Jarod and Miss Parker’s help, he didn’t want them to risk their lives for him. He knew he would be walking into the lion’s den, but it had to be done. He couldn’t sit back any longer. Looking over at the clock on the nightstand, he knew it was time.

Broots walked over to the window. “This is it, it’s now or never,” he said to himself. He unlocked the window and slowly hoisted it up. He paused for a couple of seconds, listening for footsteps outside of his door. There was none. Taking a deep breath, he lifted one leg over, then the other. Once his whole body was completely outside, he closed the window.

Scurrying among the shadows, he reached Jarod’s car. He slowly eased the door open. Putting the car in neutral, he pushed the car down the hill then jumped in. When he felt like he was a safe distance from the house, he stopped the car and put it in park. Maneuvering his body, he reached under the dashboard, trying to jumpstart the car. After a couple of minutes the car purred to life. Wiping the sweat from his brow, he put the car in drive, heading towards Lyle’s house.

To Be Continued...