Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first chapter.

A/n: If any of you watch the TV show “Alias” then you might recognize a certain scene in this chapter. I remember watching it, thinking it was a pretty cool idea. I don’t know if it would actually work in real life, but its good enough for me.

Chapter 5

Broots was met halfway, when he seen the three men coming towards him. He looked back behind him to see the SUV slowly submerging into the cold icy water. Looking forward again, he walked up to the men. “What are you guys doing? I thought we were leaving after this.”

The southern man looked at him an answered, “We just want to make sure there is no evidence of the SUV being found.” Waving his hand in the air, the other men scattered about.

“What are they doing now?” Broots asked, as he watched the other two men erase the tire tracks from the mud-covered ground.

“Erasing evidence, what else.”

Broots continued to watch them. Looking down at his watch he noticed that five minutes had passed. He looked back up to see the younger, more skeptical man look out across the lake. Broots knew he had to be careful around him, because he didn’t seem to buy their act.

When the two men came back up, they still stood there, looking out across the lake. Broots looked at his watch again. It has now been nine minutes since the SUV went into the lake, yet no sign of Miss Parker or Jarod. He wasn’t for sure if this was a good or bad sign.

XXXXXXXX

When Broots stepped away from the vehicle, Jarod took the blanket off, but was still lying down on the seat. He watched the top of the ceiling until the headlights disappeared from the cars sitting on top of the hill. He got up and flung his right leg over the backseat. He was just about to bring the other leg over when the SUV bumped up into the air, flinging him back into the seat. He cursed under his breath and tried again. Just when he made it across the backseat, the SUV hit the water, sending his body forward and sideways.

His forehead smacked against the window. Bringing his fingers up to his head, he could already see blood making its presence. Shaking it off, he went over to Miss Parker an unzipped the bag. She was about to sit up, but he gently held her down by putting his hands on her shoulders. He tried not to laugh at the look she gave him.

“They may still be watching us. We need to stay low until the SUV completely submerges.” She slowly shook her head at him and stared at the ceiling. Jarod laid down beside her and looked around. The water was almost to the windows on the outside of the SUV. He could hear the water slowly coming in near the front of the automobile. In a few more minutes, the SUV would be covered in nothing but water.

Jarod looked over at Miss Parker and could see she was still staring at the roof. Trying to reassure her he commented, “Just remember what I told you. Just follow my lead.” She nodded her head up and down, never taking her eyes off the ceiling. He could hear her breathing getting quicker with each passing second. Trying to calm her down, he reached over and put his hand on hers. “It’s going to be okay.” Trying to ease the tension he added, “Hey, remember I’m a lab rat. Us rats know how to get out of sticky situations.”

She let out a soft chuckle to his pathetic attempt at a joke. Jarod smiled back at her and brought his hand back to his chest. He could feel the cold water enveloping his body. It literally took his breath away. Miss Parker let out a soft gasp and grabbed his hand. Jarod could feel her fear through the vice like grip she had on his hand. He looked over at Miss Parker and could see a stray tear come out of her eye. “Jarod,” she said in a low trembling voice.

“Its okay, I’m right here,” he said soothingly. Giving her a reassuring squeeze he slowly got up. They were now completely submerged. He looked up front and could see the water taking over the two front seats. Looking back at Parker he said, “It’s okay. You can sit up now.” She sat up, never letting go of his hand. They scooted their way towards the back.

Looking around wild-eyed she asked, “When?”

“Not yet, we have to wait until the water pressure balances itself out.” He grabbed the tire iron from the floor and held it in his free hand.

The place they just vacated was now filled with six inches of water, and was still rising. The water made it up to their feet. Instinctively, they scooted farther back, but there was no room left. “Jarod, this isn’t going to work. We’re going to drown. We have to get out of here.” Jarod could hear and see the panic coming from her. She turned around and started banging on the back window, trying to break it. Jarod needed to calm her down.

Putting the tire iron in the back of his pants, he grabbed Miss Parker’s wrists. “Miss Parker, you need to calm down. Remember, cooler heads will prevail. I know trust doesn’t come easy for you, but you have to trust me.” He could see her eyes growing wide with fear as the water was now just past their ankles. Trying to get her attention he gently grabbed her face. “Shh, calm down, easy breaths now,” he kept repeating to her. It seemed to work as her breathing lessened to normalcy.

There was a silence between them. The only noises were the rushing water and some creaking sounds coming from the SUV. Jarod looked back over at Miss Parker. She was shaking uncontrollably, her teeth chattering from the cold. She looked over at Jarod and gave him a crooked grin. “Y...you think..I...I.. would be use to the c..co..cold, since I...I’m...the...the ice qqquuueen,” she stuttered out.

Jarod smiled at her comment. “MM...Miss Parker, I know the... the ice queen isn’t the real you. I know its one big...fa...façade. Trying to keep the status quo with the Cen.. Centre.” Jarod rubbed his arms with his hands, trying to keep himself warm. He looked down. The water was now up to their waist.

He looked back over at Miss Parker. She was trying to keep herself warm also. She rubbed her arms and blew air into her hands. Without even thinking of the consequences, Jarod reached out and put an arm around her shoulders. He brought her closer to his body, trying to do whatever he could to keep her warm. At first she hesitated, but then relaxed in his arms. Reaching in his back, he brought out the tire iron.

Jarod looked at his watch and noticed only four minutes had passed since they hit the water. He looked down again. The water was now up to their chests. He reluctantly let go of Miss Parker. He needed to get ready. Thirty seconds later the water was now up to their chins. The air pocket they had in the back of the cab was getting smaller and smaller. Looking at Miss Parker he said, “Get ready.”

Miss Parker nodded and took hold of the coat hanger handle sitting on top the ceiling. Jarod took a couple of deep breaths and went under the water. The water was so dark and murky. Reaching out, he touched the glass and banged the tire iron against the window. After five or six tries, it broke. Removing the broken glass, he grabbed Miss Parker and went through the opening.

Staying close to the vehicle, he made his way towards the passenger side rear tire. Unscrewing the tire cap, he tapped Miss Parker’s shoulder. Miss Parker put her mouth on the cap and sucked the air out of the tire. When Miss Parker looked back at him, he indicated that he was going over to the front passenger side tire, repeating the same thing as he told Miss Parker to do.

They stayed in this scenario for another ten minutes. When Jarod felt that it was safe, he went back over to Miss Parker. On his way over, he felt something against his feet, but just shook it off to fish. He tapped Miss Parker on the shoulders. When she looked at him, he pointed upwards. She nodded to him and started swimming up towards the surface. Jarod was about to do the same thing, but he couldn’t go up. Something was holding him down.

He bent down to feel what it was. It felt like string or rope was entangled with his feet. Jarod tried to pry himself loose, but the rope was caught on something, making him prisoner in the depths of the lake. He tried to get over to the tires to get some air, but he was out of reach.

Panic was now starting to set in as he continued to fight the rope. His lungs were craving for oxygen. He screamed for Miss Parker, but she wouldn’t be able to hear him. ‘I don’t want to die like this,’ he thought to himself. His battle with the rope was becoming less and less as the air in his lungs slowly evaporated. With no fight left in him, Jarod let the blackness take over.

To Be Continued...

XXXXX

A/n: In case you were wondering what scene I was talking about at the beginning of this chapter, it’s the scene where MP and J breathe air from the tires. It felt like it would be something that J would think of in that situation.