Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In First Chapter.

Chapter 3

Miss Parker slowly sat up, still rubbing the back of her head. Seeing Jarod, she instinctively reached towards her lower back, getting her gun. Where was it? As if reading her thoughts Jarod commented, “Looking for this?” He had her gun, dangling it in front of her. When she reached for it, she winced at the abrupt pain that shot through her waist.

“You’re most likely going to have a bruise right there from the impact of the bullet hitting the vest,” stated Jarod.

Miss Parker ignored him and got up. Jarod offered his hand out to her, but she didn’t take it. “Let me guess, Jarod. Are you here to gloat over my recent predicament? Trying to rub my face in your most recent heroics when it comes to my life.” She stopped talking when she heard a muffled cry coming from behind her. Turning around, Miss Parker saw Broots curled up in a corner, rubbing his eyes. Seeing her colleague in pain, she made a move towards him.

Miss Parker was surprised when Jarod grabbed her arm. “What are you doing? He tried to kill you tonight. Who knows who else is out there; ready to end your life. If you want to stay alive, we have to go...now,” said Jarod with an urgent voice.

Miss Parker shoved his hand off her arm. “Who gives you the right to order me around? I’ll do as I damn well please.” Parker then went over to Broots.

Broots tried to focus his eyes, but they were burning. He needed relief in the form of water. ‘I must be going crazy,’ he thought to himself. He could have sworn he heard Miss Parker’s voice.

Miss Parker knelt down beside Broots. She never would of dreamed in a million years that Broots was the one sent to kill her. But in a way, it made perfect sense. It was no secret that Broots was the weakest link on her team. He had the most to lose. Right before he shot her, she remembered him saying Debbie. She could already feel her blood boiling at the fact that they may have used Debbie to get to Broots. Without saying anything, she helped Broots stand up, and headed towards the kitchen.

When they walked past Jarod, neither saw the picture fall out of Broots’ pocket, but Jarod did. Jarod picked it up and looked at it. He was now starting to understand why Broots shot Miss Parker. Still holding the picture, Jarod walked into the kitchen with the duo.

Broots let Miss Parker take him over to the sink. He still couldn’t believe that she was alive. He saw the bullet hit her in the gut. There was no way anyone could survive that shot. “Miss Parker, am I going crazy? Are you really alive?” He asked with wonderment.

“No you’re not going crazy, I’m still alive and kicking.” She was surprised at how gentle her tone was with Broots. If it was anyone else, she would of ripped him or her a new one by now. Walking him over to the sink, she gently pushed his head down, and turned on the faucet. Opening up one of the kitchen drawers, she took out a washcloth and put it under the running water. When Broots was finished splashing water in his eyes, she gave him the washcloth and then led him back to the kitchen table that Jarod was sitting at.

Broots’ sat down between Jarod and Miss Parker. His eyes were still sore, but the cold compress helped ease the pain. While still holding the washcloth to his eyes he asked Miss Parker, “How could you survive that shot? I saw the bullet hit you. You fell back and landed on the floor, there was no movement coming from you.” He stopped and looked directly at Miss Parker with tears in his eyes, “I’m so sorry. Its just that..” He then remembered he had to get out of here. “I have to go.” He abruptly got up, but Jarod blocked his way.

“Jarod, please, you don’t understand. I have to leave,” begged Broots.

Jarod pulled the picture of Debbie out and brought it up to Broots’ face. “I can help you, Mr. Broots.” He looked over at Miss Parker. “WE can help you.”

Miss Parker got up from where she was sitting and looked over Broots’ shoulder. It broke her heart seeing Debbie so scared and helpless. She looked over at Jarod and can see the anger slowly building in him. She knew how Jarod felt about kidnappings. If they were going to get Debbie back safe and sound, Jarod and her needed to work together on this. She had to admit, the two of them did work well with each other. They were a force to be reckoned with when they had the same allegiances. Putting a hand on Broots’ shoulder she commented, “As much as I hate to admit this, Jarod’s right. We will do whatever we can to help you.”

Broots took the Polaroid picture out of Jarod’s hand. While staring at he said, “Why would you help me, Miss Parker? I just shot you.” Broots could feel a tear running down his cheek.

Miss Parker turned him around, so they were facing each other. Broots was still afraid to look at her. Putting her fingers under his chin, she lifted his head up. “Broots, I know you weren’t in the right state of mind when you shot me. I couldn’t even imagine what you’re going through right now. All I know is that you’ve always been there for me when I needed someone. Both Sydney and you. I know I give you a hard way to go, but in the end, you can always guarantee that I’ll have your back, no matter what.”

All Broots could muster out was, “Thank you.” He tried to hold back his tears but he couldn’t, they came flooding out of his eyes before he had a chance to stop them. Turning away from Miss Parker, Broots cried into his hands.

Without even thinking, Miss Parker stood in front of Broots and held him in her arms. Letting him cry on her shoulder. Through the tears he said, “Miss Parker, I wish I had your strength to get me through this. I...I’m just so tired and scared. Debbie’s my life, if she dies I will never forgive myself.”

“We’ll find her,” Miss Parker responded back with a more determined voice. She pulled away from Broots and gave him a reassuring smile. She then went back over to the table. Seconds later, the two men followed and sat down with her.

Broots spoke up first. Dabbing his eyes with the washcloth he asked, “How did you survive the gun shot?”

She looked over at Jarod and saw a small grin appear on his face. She just shook her head in exasperation and looked back at Broots. “This morning, a package appeared on my doorstep. Inside the brown box was a bulletproof vest with a note inside.” Digging into her pockets she brought out a folded white piece of paper. She gave it to Broots to read.

The note said:

--Miss Parker, put this on when you receive it. When I was doing my daily check of the Centre mainframe, I found out a hit was put out on you. It should take place tomorrow night at 10:00 pm. To be on the safe side, please put this on. I’ll be in contact with you.

Jarod—

Broots now looked over at Jarod with astonishment. “Do you know who put the hit out?”

“Unfortunately, I still don’t know who ordered the hit. The file that contained all the information had a virus attached to it. I was only able to read it for about thirty seconds before the virus started attacking it.” Jarod paused an added, “I’m guessing you don’t know who put the hit out either?”

Broots shook his head from side to side. “No, I don’t. I know Willie is involved. Willie and two sweepers came to my house last night. Willie gave me a cell phone and left. Just when the door closed behind him, the phone rang. The voice is distorted when he talks to me, but it seems familiar. I have a feeling it may be Mr. Raines, since that’s who Willie works for.”

Miss Parker got up from her chair and started pacing back and forth within the kitchen. “Son of a bitch! That ghoul will regret the day he ever met me.” She grabbed her car keys off the counter and headed towards the garage door. She almost made it when Jarod stepped in her way. “What do you think your doing?” She growled out.

“Preventing a mistake. You’re not thinking this through. If you go waltzing into the Centre by yourself, they’ll be ready to take you down in a heartbeat. Besides, Raines could be just one of the many suspects.”

“Jarod, open up your eyes. This has Raines written all over it. What more proof do you need than Raines’ lap dog, Willie,” said Miss Parker with an incredulous voice.

“Why do you have to be so stubborn? All I’m asking is for you to cool down and really think this through.” He stood firmly in the spot. Jarod and Miss Parker continued to stare at each other for what seemed like an eternity. The silence was broken by Broots’ cell phone.

Parker and Jarod looked over at Broots. Letting out a deep sigh, Broots answered the phone. “Hel...Hello?” he stuttered out. The familiar, distorted voice sent a chill down his spine. Broots looked over at Miss Parker and Jarod. They both had questionable looks on their face. As if reading their thoughts, Broots shook his head up and down, letting them know it was the kidnapper.

“I’ve been informed that you’re still at Miss Parker’s house. I hope you didn’t back out of our deal. I would hate to kill your daughter, for going against my wishes,” the voice said tauntingly.

Broots held onto the phone with a tighter grip. “Please, don’t hurt her,” he cried out.

He heard a devilish laugh come across the other line. “Ah, Mr. Broots, I’m glad you see things my way. Now tell me, is Miss Parker dead?”

Broots didn’t know what to say. He looked over at Miss Parker and decided what he had to do. He would have to lie. “Yes, she’s dead.”

“Mr. Broots, you’ll have to excuse me if I sound a bit surprised. I wasn’t for sure you would have it in you, after what happened this morning.” Broots heard some shuffling in the background. “Why are you still there? You do remember you were suppose to meet one of my associates at the local high school parking lot, right?”

“I know, I’m sorry. I wasn’t feeling very well after I shot her. I’ve never killed anyone before. The guilt overtook my body.” Broots didn’t hear Miss Parker make her way over to him. She was sitting in the chair beside him. Her hand was on top of his, giving him a reassuring squeeze. It was like she was transferring some of her strength onto him.

The distorted voice seemed to be contemplating Broots’ answer. Finally, the voice came back on the phone. “Very well then. I know you’re a somewhat weak, cowardly man. It would make perfect sense, that you wouldn’t be able to stomach the stench of blood. To tell you the truth, this works out for my benefit.”

Broots was scared to ask. “How?”

He heard a light chuckle come over the line. “It seems that someone may have found out about my plans. Because of this, I will have to resort to Plan B.” Broots listened intently as Plan B was given to him.

Before the phone hung up, Broots asked rapidly, “Please, let me speak to Debbie. I have to know that she’s okay.” Broots could feel his mouth going dry, his palms becoming sweaty, his heart beating faster with each passing second. He just hoped he didn’t cross the line with the demand.

He let out a sigh of relief when Debbie’s voice came over the line. “Dad, Dad are you there?”

He could hear the fear and despair in her voice. It killed him. “I’m right here. Are you okay?”

There was hesitation before she answered, “Yes.” Broots could hear her muffled cries come across the line. “I just want to go home.”

“I know you do. Believe me, I’m doing everything I can. Just do what they say, okay?”

“Alright. I love you.”

“I love you too, sweetie.”

There was another pause, and then all of a sudden he heard Debbie’s frantic voice come across the line. “Dad, I know where they are keeping me. They’re keeping me at...hey, what do you think you’re doing? Dad, DAD!”

Broots stood up quickly, knocking the chair down. “DEBBIE, DEBBIE!” he screamed into the phone. He then heard a gunshot come across the line. “DEBBIE, TALK TO ME!”

Instead of Debbie, he got the familiar voice. “You have thirty minutes.” The line then went dead.

“Oh God, oh God, oh God,” Broots kept repeating. He dropped the phone to the ground. He prayed that Debbie was okay.

To Be Continued...