Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 19

Letting out a heavy sigh, Miss Parker gently laid Broots’ head down on the ground. Wiping the remaining tears from both of their faces, she looked out across the grounds towards the barn. She could feel her pain an anguish turning into hate and revenge. Reaching behind her back she brought out her gun an inspected it. Popping the clip back in place, she looked back down at her lost friend. “Broots, your death won’t be in vain. I’ll see to that,” she stated calmly. Standing up, she headed back towards the barn.

Creeping up along the door, she waited a few seconds before making her appearance. Inside, she could hear Lyle whimpering to himself. Walking up behind him, she placed the muzzle of the gun against the back of his head. Lyle instantly sobered up. “Who’s there?” he asked with fear.

She smiled coldly at him. “Your worse nightmare.” Keeping the gun still on him, she went around, standing in front of him.

He slowly began to relax in his chair. “Ah, dear old sis. Let me guess, are you back for round two?” Looking around he asked, “So, where’s your geeky sidekick at?”

Miss Parker took a couple of steps closer, backhanding him across the face. “That’s for me.” She backhanded him again. “That’s for Jarod.” Instead of backhanding him this time, she pulled her fist up, punching him in the face. “That’s for Debbie. And this..” She stopped, and grabbed a hold of his hair. Yanking his face up, she placed the gun up under his chin. “And this is for Broots.” She was just about to pull the trigger when she heard someone calling out to her.

Still keeping her eyes focused on Lyle, she yelled out, “Jarod, get out of here. This doesn’t concern you. Lyle an I are just having a nice little brotherly sisterly talk.” Pulling Lyle’s hair harder she said, “Now, where were we...ah yes, I was just about to decorate the walls with your gray matter.”

Lyle winced at the tugging. “You know you won’t do it. You don’t gave the guts for it like I do.”

Pulling the gun away from his face, she pointed it at his left knee and fired. Lyle’s painful scream filled the building. “You crazy bitch!”

“Miss Parker, what are you doing?” panted Jarod, as he came running up behind her.

“Lyle and me are just having a little fun. Right, little brother?” Grabbing his hair again, she yanked his face up, looking straight into his eyes. His eyes showed no remorse for what he has done. There was nothing behind them. Lyle was just a shell of a man. Lifting her gun up, she pressed it in between his eyes with so much force, that Lyle winced in pain. If she killed Lyle now it wouldn’t be murder since he was already dead to the world. He was like a vampire that sucked the lives out of the innocent people around him. It was time to put this monster back in his grave.

“Do it!” he barked out. “Either way I’m dead.”

“Miss Parker, don’t listen to him. Don’t do it. If you do, you’re just like him,” Jarod pleaded.

She could feel the battle waging inside her head, images flashing through her mind. She could see Debbie standing alone at her father’s grave. Broots lying in a pool of his own blood. The way he gasped for air as he lay dying in her arms. The frightened look on his face as she grabbed her hand, knowing it wasn’t much longer. The DSA of Jarod screaming out in pain as Lyle was torturing him. Her mother’s voice telling her how proud she was of her. A few tears escaped her eyes as she glared at Lyle. She wanted to kill him for all the things he’s done to all of them, but she still couldn’t do it. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t make herself pull the trigger.

As if sensing her pain, Jarod reached out, pushing her extended arm down. Coming out of her trance like state, she gave Jarod a dumbfounded look. “Jarod,” she said softly.

Jarod cast her a sympathetic look. “You’re doing the right thing. I know it might not seem like it, but murder isn’t the answer.” He paused. “Where’s Broots at?”

“He...he’s dead,” she answered hoarsely.

Jarod took a step closer. He must’ve heard wrong. “Say what again?”

“Didn’t you hear her? Your boy is dead,” Lyle answered smugly. “I killed him. It was a nice, slow, painful death.” He paused an added, “Payback, ain’t it a bitch.” That confidence didn’t last long as Miss Parker kicked him in his knee. “Jesus!”

Jarod looked around wild-eyed. It felt like the room was spinning out of control. Broots was dead and it was his fault. If they’d stayed together like Broots wanted, he would still be alive now. Feeling the guilt taking over, he slowly backed away from Lyle and Miss Parker.

Miss Parker took a couple of steps towards Jarod. “What’s wrong?” she asked, baffled by his behavior.

Running a hand through his air he replied, “I...it’s all my fault. I should’ve stayed with him. I knew he was scared, but I thought it would be better for us to split up. That way we could cover more ground.” To ashamed of himself, he looked down at his feet as the guilty tears cascaded down his cheeks.

Miss Parker stopped in front of him, lifting his chin up to look at her. “Jarod, this is not your fault.” Dropping her hand, she looked away from him. She could feel her own guilt consuming her body as the tears started building in her eyes. The last thing she wanted was to break down in front of Lyle and Jarod. Closing her eyes and taking a fortifying breath she looked back up at Jarod. “If it’s anyone’s fault, it’s mine.”

Jarod gave her a perplexed look. “What are you talking about?” he asked softly. Jarod could see her bottom lip trembling. Seeing her trying to avoid the question, she turned around. Before she walked away, Jarod reached out and grabbed her hand. She still kept her face from him when he pleaded, “Please, tell me what happened?”

“Where’s Debbie at?” she asked shakily, as she looked around the barn.

“She’s someplace safe and sound,” he answered. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze. “Please, talk to me, Miss Parker.”

She turned back around. Jarod could see a few tears coming down her cheeks. He reached out wiping the tears away as he caressed her cheek. She closed her eyes for a few, long seconds. He knew she needed a moment to get her thoughts together. Realizing his hand was still lingering on her cheek, he hesitantly pulled away, but was stopped when Miss Parker reached up and kept his hand there. He couldn’t help but be surprised. She then opened up her eyes.

Miss Parker could see the concern on Jarod’s face. Still keeping her hand inside his, she dropped their hands from her face. She gave his hand a reassuring squeeze, letting him know she was all right. Letting go of Jarod’s hand, she started. “Broots an I almost made it, but then we ran into Lyle. We stood in a Mexican standoff for ten minutes, neither one of us budging. Then, I lost my focus. I can’t believe I did something so stupid.” She paused, shaking her head. “Something caught my attention, and I averted my eyes away from Lyle for just a second, but a second was all Lyle needed. I knew I made a mistake when I glanced back at him. I just didn’t realize how fatal it would be.”

Jarod took a step closer, grabbing both her hands. “What happened?”

She looked away from Jarod’s caring brown eyes. Her vision was becoming blurry again with more tears. “Lyle fired first, and I fired a second later. Broots came running after me, tackling me to the ground.” She shot her head back up. “He saved my life,” she choked out. “He took the bullet that was meant for me. I should’ve of died, not Broots...not Broots,” Releasing Jarod’s hands, she covered her face as her sobs racked her body.

Jarod closed the distance between them, and held her in his arms. He could feel her trying to push him away. “Let go of me, Jarod. Let go of me,” she cried out, as she pounded his chest.

Jarod didn’t let go. He held her more tightly as she continued to cry against him. He could feel her struggles becoming less and less with each passing second. Bending his head down he whispered in her ear, “I’m never letting you go. Never.” The struggling ceased for a few moments; the only sound around them was Miss Parker’s muffled cries. Jarod became surprised when Miss Parker wrapped her arms around him, holding onto him for dear life.

Still holding onto him she asked, “Jarod, how am I going to tell Debbie that her father is dead?”

Jarod let out a heavy sigh. Rubbing her back he replied, “I truly don’t know, but we’ll find a way.”

Miss Parker pulled her face away from his chest. “We?”

Jarod let go of her. Reaching out, he held her face in his hands. “Yes ‘we’. You shouldn’t have to go through that alone,” he answered softly. Bending down, he placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

Miss Parker closed her eyes as his lips brushed against her forehead. Opening up her eyes, she nodded in agreement. She then looked over at Lyle. “What about him?” she asked with disgust.

Jarod gave her a mischievous smile. “Don’t worry about Lyle. He’ll get what’s coming to him.” Changing the subject he said, “Right now, you have to get to Debbie. She’s scared and needs someone familiar around her.”

“Where is she?” she asked.

“She’s...”

They were interrupted by a blood curdling scream coming from outside. They both knew who it was. It was Debbie. Turning on their heels, they ran outside. When they reached Debbie, they both stopped dead in their tracks.

Debbie was kneeling beside her father, cradling him in her arms as she cried into the crook of his neck. “Dad, please wake up. Please, wake up. Wake up.”

The scene broke both of their hearts. Miss Parker glanced over at Jarod. She could see the guilt creeping back into his face, probably just like hers was right now. ‘God, why did it have to come to this,’ she thought to herself sadly. Tucking her gun in the back on her pants, she walked over to Debbie.

Debbie’s head shot up when she saw movement coming from the side of her. Her eyes lit up. Wiping away her tears, she said urgently, “Miss Parker, I’m so glad you’re here. Please, help my father.”

Miss Parker knelt down beside the girl, giving her a solemn look. Debbie was still hanging onto the hope that her father was still alive, and here she comes along crushing the girl’s hope. Reaching out, Miss Parker held Debbie’s right hand in both of hers. “Sweetie, we can’t help your father, because...because...he’s dead,” she said sadly.

Debbie shook her head vigorously from side to side. “No, you’re wrong. Can’t you see, he’s sleeping.”

Miss Parker let go of Debbie’s hand. Cupping Debbie’s face in her hands she said gently, “Debbie, listen to me, your father is dead.”

Debbie shook her face away from Miss Parker’s grasp. “No, you’re lying. He...he’s just sleeping.” Looking behind her, she saw Jarod. “Jarod, tell her. Tell her my father’s sleeping. He’s not dead,” she responded adamantly.

Rubbing the back of his neck, Jarod squatted down by Debbie. “She’s telling the truth, Debbie.”

Debbie looked from side to side. How could they say her father was dead? Why can’t they see he was asleep? She looked back at Miss Parker. With more desperation she asked, “Please help him. Don’t give up on him. Please.”

Miss Parker could feel the waterworks starting up again behind her eyes. ‘Denial was such a common response after someone died,’ she thought solemnly. Taking a deep breath, she looked at Debbie more intently. “Debbie, we...we can’t help him.” She paused. “I know it’s hard to accept, but denying it won’t help. Look at me...your father is dead.”

Debbie’s desperation was starting to turn into anger. “Miss Parker, how can you lie to me? This is a cruel joke you both are playing.” Debbie looked back down at her father. “Dad, tell them how cruel this is. Just wake up and tell them.”

Miss Parker rested her hand on the girl’s shoulder. “Debbie...”

Debbie shook Miss Parker’s hand from her shoulder. Laying her father’s head back down, she got up and stood over Miss Parker. “No, don’t Debbie me! He’s not dead. Stop saying that. He’s not dead,” she spat out. Crossing her arms defensively, she turned away from both of them.

Miss Parker stood back up. She could see reality creeping back into Debbie’s mind, as the girl started to cry. Everything was probably hitting her full force by now. Miss Parker stood behind the girl, having no idea on what to do. “Debbie?” she asked softly.

Debbie turned around, giving Miss Parker a sad look. “My...my daddy’s dead,” she stated sadly. Her voice was almost childlike.

Miss Parker could feel the tears breaking loose from the dam behind her eyes. Giving Debbie a stupefied look, she nodded meekly at her. “Yes, he is.” Without even thinking, Miss Parker walked up to Debbie wrapping her arms around the fragile girl.

Debbie hugged Miss Parker back. Through the tears, Debbie said, “I never had a chance to say goodbye.” Miss Parker remained quiet as the girl continued to cry. “What’s going to happen to me?” asked Debbie curiously.

Miss Parker closed her eyes at the question. The only family Debbie had left was her mother, if you could call her that. Broots did have a brother, but he died in a car accident ten years ago. All of her grandparents were dead. Debbie had no other aunts or uncles. Broots did have a cousin, but he died of cancer eight years ago. Miss Parker came to a sad conclusion. Taking a deep breath she answered, “Debbie, you’ll probably go live with your mother.”

Debbie pulled away from her, looking at her sadly. “My mother,” she sighed. “My father and her are night and day. The last time I saw her was all those years ago at the courthouse.” She paused, an asked shyly, “Do you think she would want me back?”

Truth be told, Miss Parker didn’t know the answer. “Anyone would be crazy to turn you away,” she answered honestly. Debbie began to cry again as she walked back into Miss Parker’s arms.

Jarod walked up to the duo. “Miss Parker, why don’t you take Debbie back to your house and let me take care of things here,” he suggested.

Miss Parker nodded her head in agreement. Keeping one arm around Debbie’s shoulders, she steered the girl towards the car. Once Debbie was settled in the passenger seat, Miss Parker closed the door. Walking around the car to the driver’s side she opened the door and paused, looking over at Jarod. There was so much she wanted to say to him, but she knew that now was not the time. But, she knew Jarod would be back. Before getting in the car she told him, “Thank you.” She then got inside and drove away.

XXXXXXXX

2 DAYS LATER

Miss Parker glanced out of the driver’s side window, staring out at the passing scenery. It was a crisp autumn day, and the sun was shining down brightly from overhead. The sky was a perfect color of blue, with not a cloud in the sky. She looked over at her passenger who seemed more nervous than ever. Reaching over she grabbed the passenger’s hand. “Debbie, everything is going to be okay, you’ll see.” She squeezed Debbie’s hand reassuringly, smiling weakly at her.

Debbie returned the smile, just barely. Miss Parker couldn’t blame the girl. Forty-eight hours ago, her life was turned upside down with the death of her father. When Miss Parker brought her home, the girl went straight to the couch and fell asleep instantly. Afraid of leaving the girl by herself, Miss Parker stayed by her side, sleeping on the plush chair next to the couch. When she woke up, she found the couch empty. Fear instantly took hold of her heart, but just as fast as it came it disappeared when she heard Jarod in the kitchen talking to Debbie.

Instead of barging through, she stopped by the entranceway and listened.

“Jarod, do you think...oh, never mind,” said Debbie.

“What?” Jarod asked curiously.

There was a long pause. “Do you think Miss Parker would take me in if I asked her?” she asked hesitantly.

She could hear Jarod letting out a deep sigh. She knew he was trying to think of the right thing to say to the girl without breaking her heart. “I think she would take you in,” he said matter-of-factly. “But, the circumstances are very complicated for the both of you.”

“Oh, I understand,” she replied in a low voice. “My mother has temporary custody of me, doesn’t she? So, Miss Parker wouldn’t be able to do anything anyways, right?”

“Somewhat.”

There was another long pause. “Jarod, if Miss Parker’s looking for me, tell her I went for a walk.”

Miss Parker heard the chair scoot back as Debbie walked over to the sink, putting her empty dishes inside. She didn’t walk in until the she heard the back door close.

“Good afternoon, Miss Parker,” commented Jarod, as she walked over to the coffee pot, pouring herself a steaming mug of coffee.

Standing in front of the window, Miss Parker looked out across the yard, following Debbie’s retreating form. Taking a sip of coffee, she walked over to the table where Jarod was sitting. “How’s she doing?”

Jarod leaned forward, looking down into his half empty mug. “As well as can be expected.”

Miss Parker nodded at his reply, taking another sip. “What about Broots and Lyle? Where are they?”

“Well, I had Lyle caged up and shipped off to Africa this morning. I’m sure the Triumverate will have some nice accommodations for him. As for Broots, I took him to the morgue.”

“Won’t they ask questions about the gun shot?” she asked worriedly. “You know, they have to report that to the police.”

Jarod put his hand in the air, trying to ease her worry. “It’s all taken care of. As you remember back when...” he stopped, afraid of finishing the sentence.

“Back when Tommy died,” she answered sadly.

Jarod shifted in his seat feeling uncomfortable. “Yeah Tommy. Well, you remember when I told you I had a friend in the morgue?” She nodded and Jarod continued, “Well, he’s helping me out again with Broots.”

“Are you sure you can trust him?”

“Yes, I’m sure. I helped him out on a pretend with his mother. Well, I told him that Broots’ body needed to be kept there until plans were arranged for him. I also told him to keep this a secret. If anyone suspicious comes around, looking for a man that fits Broots’ description, to call me at once.” He paused, an added, “Well, what are you going to do?”

Miss Parker looked away from Jarod, glancing back out the window. “I don’t know.”

“What about Debbie, Miss Parker?”

Miss Parker shook her head sadly at Jarod. “Jarod, I would love to take her in, but I can’t.”

“Why not?” he asked with frustration.

She stared at Jarod. “Because, I promised Broots that I would keep her safe and sound, and the only way to do that is to keep her as far away from Blue Cove as possible. Besides, she needs her mother right now. Not me.”

“How wrong you are, Miss Parker. She needs you more than ever. Together we can help her through this tragedy. Her mother won’t help her. The woman is to busy with her own life. All she does is gamble away her life. There’s no way she’ll understand Debbie’s pain.” Jarod reached across the table, grabbing her hand. “Come with me, Miss Parker. Both Debbie and you.”

Miss Parker looked down at their entangled hands, and then looked across the table towards Jarod. She could see the desperate hope in his eyes, hoping she would say yes to his offer. However, she knew she couldn’t accept the offer. “I’m sorry, Jarod. I can’t go with you.” Snatching her hand back up, she walked over to the sink.

Jarod sighed in defeat. Getting up, he walked over to the sink, standing beside Miss Parker. “I sure hope you know what you’re doing, because it’s not just your life that will be affected by this, but also Debbie’s.” Turning around, he walked to the back door. “Miss Parker, once Debbie is home with her mother, call me and I’ll make sure Broots will be buried close to his daughter.” He opened the door and paused, “Miss Parker, my offer still stands in case you change your mind.” He then walked out the door.

She was broken from her thoughts when she heard Debbie’s voice. “Miss Parker, there’s the exit ramp,” she pointed out.

Miss Parker maneuvered the car over the two lanes and exited the highway. Debbie’s mother lived on the outskirts of Atlantic City. She couldn’t shake the feeling that this was bad idea, having Debbie staying with her mother. Plus, Debbie’s mother didn’t even know they were coming. Miss Parker tried phoning her, but the line was disconnected. Looking around the dingy streets only confirmed her feelings. She glanced over at Debbie, and could see the apprehension building within her. Miss Parker knew she didn’t want to stay with her mother, but it was the only way to keep Debbie safe.

Miss Parker saw the trailer park in the distance, which looked worse than the streets they drove on. She drove slowly down the streets looking for the right trailer number. When she found it, she pulled the car into the gravel driveway and turned off the car. Neither got out of the car as they stared at the beige looking trailer. After five minutes, Debbie glanced over at Miss Parker. “Well, I guess this is it.”

Both got out of the car and walked up the steps to the door. Miss Parker knocked on the door. After the fifth knock the door opened up, revealing a drowsy blonde headed woman. ‘We must’ve woken her,’ Miss Parker thought dryly.

“What do you want?” the woman asked with annoyance.

“I’m Miss Parker. I worked with your ex-husband, David Broots. Could we come in?” asked Miss Parker. She instantly disliked this woman from the get go. The woman unlocked the door, and walked away.

Miss Parker was about to open the door when she felt Debbie tugging on her hand. “What is it?”

Debbie looked at her with glassy eyes. “She doesn’t even know who I am? I’m her daughter, how can she not know her own flesh and blood?” she asked sadly.

Miss Parker was despising this woman even more. “Debbie, give her time. A lot of years have passed since the last time you’ve seen each other. Plus, it looks like she’s just woken up. Just give her time and I’m sure she’ll welcome you back with open arms.” Debbie meekly nodded at her. “Everything’s going to be okay,” she reassured Debbie.

“I hope you’re right,” Debbie mumbled to herself, as she walked past Miss Parker.

They found Debbie’s mother sitting on a hideous yellow couch. Obviously the couch was produced when Nixon was still in office. They took their seats across from her mother. Miss Parker spoke up.

“Ma’am, I have some terrible news. Your ex-husband passed away a couple of days ago. He...”

The woman instantly perked up, interrupting Miss Parker. “Did he leave me any money?” she asked enthusiastically.

Miss Parker bit down on her lip. Here, her ex-husband was dead; leaving Debbie all alone, and all she could think of was money. God, how did Broots ever get mixed up with this woman, she thought to herself. Taking a deep breath she answered with disgust, “No, he didn’t. I’m here to talk about Debbie.”

Debbie watched as her mother looked from Miss Parker to her. She knew her mother didn’t want to be burdened by her. She could already see the dollar signs flashing in her eyes as she looked at her. ‘She probably wants to take my college savings and go to the casinos,’ she thought sadly.

“Debbie, my you’ve gotten so big. I’m sorry I didn’t recognize you.”

Miss Parker was getting angrier. Debbie’s mother didn’t even get up to give her a hug. She just sat there, looking at her as if she was someone else’s child.

“That’s okay,” replied Debbie. “The reason I’m here is because I need a place to stay.”

Debbie’s mother got up and headed for a bottle of vodka on the kitchen counter. “Debbie, I know I’m your mother, but I can’t take you in right now. I’m really sorry about your father, but I just can’t.”

Miss Parker should’ve listened to her instincts and turned the car back around when they were driving here. Debbie shouldn’t go through something like this. Looking over at Debbie, she pulled out a tissue and handed it to her. “Debbie, why don’t you go outside and wait in the car while I talk to your mother,” she suggested. Debbie nodded and ran out the door.

When Miss Parker heard the car door slam, she jumped up and stalked over to the counter. “You are some piece of work, you know that? Your daughter has been to hell and back. Can’t you see she needs you?” Miss Parker spat out.

Debbie’s mother took a swig from her glass. “I can’t take care of her. I can barely take care of myself. Besides, it would interfere with my plans.”

Miss Parker gave her a seething look. “What plans would that be?” she growled out.

“Me and the girls are going out to Vegas for the next couple of months. I can’t be tied down right now. I need the money, and the only chance I’ll have of getting that is out in Vegas.”

Debbie’s mother picked up the vodka bottle to pour herself another glass. Miss Parker ripped the bottle from her shaking hand and threw it across the kitchen. “You bitch!” Debbie’s mother spat out.

“You are truly a pathetic woman. You don’t deserve a daughter like Debbie. I almost feel sorry for you. Well, almost.”

Debbie’s mother threw her arms up in the air in defeat. “Fine, if you feel that strongly about it, then take her off my hands.”

Miss Parker took a step back. “You know what, maybe I will.” She paused. “If you fight me on this, you won’t win. Just so you know, I will fight for her, and I’ll be damned if I let her live with the likes of you.” Walking over to the door she stopped and turned around. “Have a nice day,” she bit out sarcastically. Flashing her a fake smile, she walked out, slamming the door behind her.

Going down the steps, Miss Parker dug into her coat pocket, bringing out her keys. When she looked at the car, she stopped mid stride. Where was Debbie? Running out into the street, she looked around frantically. “Debbie,” she shouted out. “Debbie, where are you?” Seeing a park in the distance, she ran towards it. Five minutes later she found Debbie sitting on a picnic table, with her face in her hands.

Letting out a sigh of relief, she ran over to Debbie and climbed up beside her. “Debbie, what’s wrong?” she asked with concern.

“My father’s dead, and my own mother doesn’t even want me.” She paused, taking a deep, shaky breath. “I have no one,” she said weakly. “I’m all alone in this world.” Feeling the barrage of tears coming on, Debbie covered her face with her hands and wept.

Miss Parker’s heart was breaking for the girl. They were alike in so many ways. Both lost a parent that was dear to them. Both had another parent that didn’t really care for them. Miss Parker was grateful to have Jarod and Sydney in her life when she did, but Debbie didn’t have anyone, except for her and maybe even Jarod. Well, there was also Sydney and Sam. Putting an arm around the girl’s shoulders, she held her more closely. “Debbie, always remember that you’re never alone in this world. Not when I’m here. The same goes for Sydney, Sam, and even Jarod for that matter.”

Debbie looked up at her with uncertainty. “What will happen to me now?” she asked shakily.

Miss Parker took in a deep breath. “You can live with me, sweetheart. I know I can be cranky an irritable, but hey, it comes with the package,” she said light heartily. “So, what do you say? Think you’ll be able to live with me knowing all the facts?”

Debbie grinned up at her, throwing her arms around her neck. “Thank you so much, Miss Parker. You don’t know how much this means to me.” This time, both started crying.

After five minutes of crying, Miss Parker got up from the picnic table. “Let’s go home, Debbie.”

XXXXXXXX

6 MONTHS LATER

“Are you sure you don’t want me to come with you?” asked Miss Parker.

Debbie shook her head. “Yes Miss Parker, I’m sure. There are some things I need to same to him alone.”

“Okay sweetie, I’ll wait in the car until you’re done.” Giving Debbie a quick hug, she got back into the car. Grabbing the bag she put aside, Debbie turned around and followed the path to his grave.

His tombstone sat between two large oak trees, providing plenty of shade. As she walked up to her father’s grave she could smell freshly cut grass mixed with a tinge of charcoal from someone nearby firing up a grill. Putting the bag down by the small, concrete bench, she walked up to her father’s gravestone and knelt down in front of it. She traced the engraving with her fingers.

--David Edward Broots

Born: September 15, 1959 Died: November 10, 2003

“Beloved Father and Friend, Will be cherished always.”


“I miss you so much, Dad,” she whispered out. Bringing her fingertips up to her lips, she gently laid them back down on the tombstone. Getting up, she walked over to the bag. She pulled out a bouquet of flowers and two small bags of Funyons. Both of them loved the snack. Opening up one of the bags, she put it down in front of the tombstone. Grabbing her own bag, she opened it up and sat down on the bench.

She knew people would call her strange for doing this, but she didn’t care. There were times when she could actually see an image of her Dad sitting across from her snacking on the Funyons she brought with her. For her, it gave her a sense of comfort, knowing her father was sitting across from her, snacking on the junk food she brought, listening intently to what she had to say. It was just like old times, from when she was younger.

Looking up into the blue sky, she let the small rays of sunshine warm her face, as if her father was basking her in his love. She couldn’t believe how much things have changed in the past six months.

Once they got back from Atlantic City, Miss Parker called Jarod telling him she was ready to leave. Once they had everything packed, they waited. A few hours later, Sam stopped by, bringing with him a three-year- old boy. It turned out the boy was Miss Parker’s little brother. She never knew Miss Parker had any siblings, let alone a three year old one. Miss Parker told her his name was Adam. Debbie fell in love with the boy instantly. He became the little brother she never had.

Miss Parker pleaded with Sam and Sydney to leave also, but they refused, saying they were needed at the Centre. They told Miss Parker they would keep an eye out for her and Jarod, letting them know if anything should come up. Debbie was still perplexed by that. After they left, Jarod arrived two hours later. Putting all their belongings in the car, they left Blue Cove behind them forever.

She could still remember sitting in the back seat, watching Miss Parker as a few tears slipped from her eyes. Debbie knew Miss Parker gave up everything for the both of them. She would always be forever indebted to Miss Parker. She knew Miss Parker didn’t have to take her in, but she did. Debbie’s prayers came true when Miss Parker told her she would be staying with her. Letting her gaze fall back on the tombstone she commented softly, “Thanks for answering my prayers, Dad.”

After they left Blue Cove, Jarod drove them to a small town in Vermont, where the rest of his family was staying. She noticed the tension in the air when Jarod’s father saw Miss Parker step out, but when Ethan walked over to his sister and hugged her, his father calmed down somewhat, but he still kept a close eye on Miss Parker. However, as the months passed, Miss Parker and Major Charles became like old friends. They loved teaming up on Jarod, always teasing him, trying to rile him up whenever they could. They stayed at the house until the house Jarod had set up for Miss Parker was finished, which was just a mile away.

Debbie and Jarod’s youngest brother, Jeremy, became friends instantly. At first, she was somewhat quiet around everybody, but Jeremy was determined to get her to open up. At first he became a pest, but eventually he grew on Debbie. Now six months later, they were inseparable. They did everything together, including trying to play matchmaker with Jarod and Miss Parker, which they were still unsuccessful at, but she knew it was only a matter of time before Miss Parker and Jarod got together.

“Dad today was my last day of school. I’m officially a senior now. It still feels weird knowing that in another year I’ll be heading off to college. I only wish you could be there to see me graduate, but Miss Parker told me that you will be watching me from up above, with a big grin on your face.” A few tears fell down her cheek.

“Jeremy an I are still trying to play Cupid with Miss Parker and Jarod. We know the hard work will payoff eventually. We both know they love each other, we just can’t understand why they fight it. As for Jeremy, he’s been acting somewhat weird around me lately. I don’t know what his problem is. Whenever I talk about guys in general he gets somewhat jealous. I asked Miss Parker about it. She just smiled at me and told me that Jeremy probably has a crush on me. I don’t really know how I feel about that.

There are times at night when I feel guilty about the life I’m living now. I’ve always wanted Miss Parker for a mother, I just never knew that my father would have to die to make that wish come true. I feel guilty because I’m laughing more, however it’s not with you. I know I shouldn’t feel this way, but I do. If you were standing in front of me right now, I know what you would say, ‘Debbie, you shouldn’t feel guilty. Your happiness is the most important thing to me. I’m glad you’re happy.’ And I know you’re right.”

Getting up, she walked over to her father’s gravestone and took a flower out of the bouquet, placing it on top of her father’s tombstone. She took a step back and looked behind her. Turning back around she said, “Well, I better get going before Miss Parker gets worried. No matter how busy my life becomes, I will never forget you. I love you with all of my heart” Turning around, she wiped away the tears and headed back down to Miss Parker.

XXXXXXXX

THE END