Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 13

Broots turned off the headlights as the car slowly rolled to a stop. He got out of the car along with the other occupants. All four of them just stared at the house in wonder, neither wanting to make the first move. For once, Broots decided to be the brave one and led the way. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Jarod come running up, walking beside him. Looking behind him he saw Lyle, followed by Miss Parker. He was about to say something, when Jarod stopped and pulled him to the ground. “What is it?” he asked worriedly.

Jarod brought his index finger up to his lips, signaling for Broots to be quiet. Broots watched as Jarod dug into his bag, bringing out a gun. He was taken aback when Jarod handed it to him. “Are you sure this is a good idea?” he whispered to Jarod.

In the same tone, Jarod replied back. “It’s for your protection.”

Broots nodded his head up and down as he stared out in the distance. “Why did we stop?”

“I just want to make sure there are no...obstacles in our way,” stated Jarod.

“Oh, okay.”

After ten minutes of waiting, Lyle piped up. “Hey genius, it’s time we get a move on instead of lowly gagging out here.” The only reply Lyle got was a smack in the back of the head, courtesy of Miss Parker.

Jarod and Broots couldn’t help but laugh. Lyle on the other hand was not amused. “I’m glad you two are enjoying this, because you’ll need something to laugh about after I’m done with both of you.”

“Why, Mr. Lyle, is that a threat?” Jarod asked, unfazed by his words.

“Call it...retribution,” replied Lyle.

Jarod shook his head while smiling. “You are some piece of work, Lyle. Since, you’re in such a hurry, why don’t you go ahead and walk up to Raines’ house. We need someone to go out and test the waters to make sure it’s safe.”

Lyle could hear Broots snickering. He looked over at Broots, shooting invisible daggers at the man. Lyle smiled triumphantly to himself as Broots quickly sobered up, looking away from him. “Well, I’m glad someone knows their place in this world, unlike some people.”

Miss Parker roughly pulled Lyle back down. “Lyle, stop embarrassing yourself and shut up.”

Waving his hands up in the air in frustration he replied, “Fine.” Turning around, he looked at Miss Parker. “Sis, I hope you know you’re walking a dangerous line right now. Remember whose side you’re on. I hate to see something bad happen to you.”

Miss Parker could feel her blood slowly boiling within her. “Lyle, your threats are weak and pathetic, they’re all child’s play. And, as for whose side I’m on, that’s none of your damn business.”

“Whatever you say, Parker. Don’t say I didn’t warn you though,” stated Lyle.

Miss Parker let out an exasperated sigh. “Lyle, your supposed brotherly concern makes me want to vomit.”

Lyle was about to say something else, when Jarod hushed them. “What is it?” he asked.

Jarod watched as a light on the top floor lit up. To get a better look, he brought out his binoculars.

“What do you see?” Broots asked anxiously.

“Nothing so far,” answered Jarod. He watched the house as another light came on, this time somewhere on the bottom floor, in the kitchen. He could see Raines filling a glass up with water. After putting the glass back in the sink, he opened the back door, letting himself on the deck. Jarod pulled the binoculars away from his eyes and looked behind him. “Everyone be quiet. Raines is taking a little smoke break on the deck.”

Broots didn’t like this. He could feel his heartbeat getting faster as his breathing gained momentum. Even though they were all quiet, he felt like his beating heart would give them away. Jarod must’ve sensed his panic. Through his closed eyes he heard Jarod whisper to him, “Broots, calm down. Everything is going to be okay. Focus on my voice. There you go, take nice and easy breaths.”

Jarod’s mantra seemed to work as Broots breathing became more regular. Once Raines was back inside, Jarod tapped Broots on the shoulder. “You can open your eyes now. Raines went back inside.”

Broots opened up his eyes, letting out a sigh of relief. “I could never be a CIA agent,” he said jokingly to Jarod.

Jarod let out a soft chuckle, patting him on the shoulder. “Yes, I can see that, but you’re still doing a good job.”

“Uh, thanks,” muttered out Broots. “So, do we move now?”

“Yes, it’s time we get this show on the road.” Jarod got up first, followed by Broots.

Instead of following Broots, Lyle turned abruptly around, having Miss Parker run into him. “Damnit Lyle, watch where you’re going, you moron,” she hissed out.

“I need protection. Give me a gun,” he said urgently.

“Lyle, I wasn’t born yesterday. You’re not getting a gun, now move,” she commanded.

“I don’t believe this, you give Broots a gun, but not me,” he said while running to the house. Miss Parker didn’t say anything as she followed behind Lyle. When they reached the house, Jarod had already picked the lock and was inside with Broots. Walking inside, they stopped in their tracks as they found Jarod, tying Mr. Raines up to a chair, while Broots kept the gun trained on Raines.

Miss Parker walked over to the nervous technician. Putting her hand on top of his shaking ones, she pushed the gun down. “Whoa there, boy. Easy does it.”

Once Jarod was done tying Raines, he stood in front of him. “Where’s Debbie?” he growled out.

“I don’t know what...you’re talking about,” replied Raines.

Jarod turned around looking at Miss Parker. “It seems no one wants to take responsibility for this. I don’t know about you, Miss Parker, but I’m sick of all these games.”

Lyle was getting tired of all this. They were going to get nowhere with all these mundane questions Jarod was asking. It was time for him to intervene. Lyle walked over, pushing Jarod out of the way. “Listen here, you walking corpse. We know you’re behind all of this, so stop playing dumb. Now, tell us where Debbie is? Also, why am I being set up as the mastermind behind of all of this?”

Raines looked back and forth between everyone. Letting his gaze fall back on Jarod he replied with seriousness, “I truly have no idea what you’re all talking about.”

Lyle slowly walked around Raines. He smiled to himself as Raines began to squirm in his chair. “Untie me now, Lyle. It’s time we call some sweepers to bring Jarod back in,” demanded Raines.

Lyle stopped walking, standing in front of Raines again. “Sorry, can’t do that old man. Now, let me ask again. Why am I being set up for all this?”

Raines only answer was a smirk. Lyle was starting to get irritated, bringing his fingers up to his lips, he acted like he pondering something, while he walked over to the oxygen tank. Raines’ smirk quickly vanished as Lyle bent down near the tank. “What are you up to, Lyle?” Raines voice was raspy, filled with fear.

“This oxygen tank has to be a pain to lug around. It must be hard to sneak up on people when the wheels begin to squeak. You know what, I think it’s time that someone relieves you of this burden, don’t you?” With that, Lyle grabbed the knob, turning the oxygen supply off. He watched with delight, as Raines fought to breathe. His eyes were bulging out of his head.

After two minutes of labored breathing, Lyle turned the knob, letting Raines breathe again. “Now, do we have your cooperation?” Lyle asked with amusement.

Raines shook his head up and down.

“See how easy this can be. Now answer my question from before?” demanded Lyle.

Once Raines’ breathing was under control he answered. “I’m not behind...this charade.” He paused, looking over at Mr. Broots. “I’m telling...the truth. I’m truly sorry...about your daughter. I know...what you’re going...through.”

Broots was speechless; he didn’t know what to say. All he could do was nod his head, thanking him for the words.

Lyle cleared his throat, getting Raines attention. “You know something, now spill it.”

Raines stared at Lyle for a long moment. Finally, Lyle watched as Raines wiggled his finger, signaling him to come closer. Bending his head down, Lyle listened to what Raines whispered in his ear. When Lyle brought his face back up, Miss Parker could see his face becoming pale. What the hell did Raines say to him? She was about to ask when Jarod chimed in.

“What did he say?” asked Jarod.

Lyle backed away from Raines, stumbling onto the couch. “Nothing. He’s just trying to scare me, that’s all.”

Jarod looked over at Raines, who was now grinning from ear to ear. “You know who’s behind this?”

Raines shook his head yes as he stared at Lyle. “I just found out a couple of hours ago. I know who’s behind the kidnapping, who wants Miss Parker dead, and why dear Mr. Lyle is being set up.”

Miss Parker was getting impatient. Taking two long strides, she stood in front of Raines. Grabbing his chin forcefully, she lifted it up, so there were only mere inches between them. “Stop playing games, you emphysema ghoul.” To prove her point, she squeezed his chin harder and shook him. “Who wants me dead?”

“It amazes me. The answer has been in front of you the whole time, open up your eyes and see the bigger picture.” Raines paused, taking another breath of air. “To answer you’re question, the person behind it is..”

XXXXXXX

To Be Continued...