Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 11

Broots had to think of something, and fast. He sunk back down the wall, curling himself into a ball, covering his head with his hands. “No, No, No. Please don’t.” Being in the uncomfortable position, Broots felt something jab him in the side. Sneaking one of his hands down into his pocket he realized what it was. The flashlight. He smiled to himself now knowing what to do. “Uh, Lyle, may I suggest something?”

Lyle eased the poker down a couple of inches. “What?” he asked impatiently.

“You might want to put on some sunglasses,” suggested Broots.

Lyle gave him a baffled look. “Sunglasses? What are you talking about? Why would I need those?”

“Because of this.” Broots quickly brought out the flashlight. Shining the light into Lyle’s eyes. Lyle flinched at the abrupt brightness, taking a step back. Broots got his diversion, as he quickly got up and headed towards the back door. He cursed to himself as he tripped over his own feet, falling hard onto the ground. He tried to get back up, but Lyle was already there.

Lyle looked like the cat that ate the canary, as he looked down at Broots. He twirled the fire poker in his hand as he circled around Broots. “My, my, my, Broots. Aren’t we the brave little soldier? When did you start growing a pair?” asked Lyle tauntingly.

Broots didn’t like the look in Lyle’s eyes. “I...I’m just trying to find my daughter. Desperate times call for desperate measures. She’s been kidnapped. I thought you were behind it, but I can see that was wrong. Please, just let me go. I’m so sorry for the misunderstanding.”

Lyle’s smile only got broader. He brought the fire poker back up towards his face, looking at it with amusement. “You’ve got to love these things. You wouldn’t believe how much pain and torture one can inflict with this.” Lyle looked back down at Broots, who was now shaking, eyes wide open with fear. Kneeling down beside Broots, he added, “Let’s see if I can find another way to inflict pain.” Standing back up again, Lyle brought the fire poker over his head. He was just about ready to swing down, when he heard the safety of a gun clicking off from behind him.

“Drop it, Lyle. Now!”

Lyle slowly eased his arms down. “Well, if it isn’t dear old sis. Come to join the party,” he said as he dropped the fire poker on the floor.

With the gun trained on Lyle’s head, Miss Parker slowly made her way around him. She ignored Lyle’s comment. Still keeping her eyes on Lyle she asked, “Broots, are you okay?”

Getting up he replied, “Yes.” Broots looked around the kitchen, but didn’t see Jarod anywhere. Turning his attention back to Miss Parker he asked, “He doesn’t know where Debbie is.”

Miss Parker continued to glare at Lyle. “Where is she, Lyle?” she demanded, pressing the muzzle to his temple.

Lyle held his hands up in mock defense. “Like I’ve said before, I have no idea what you two are talking about. I’m really getting tired of being everyone’s whipping boy when something goes wrong.”

Miss Parker took a step closer, standing mere inches in front of Lyle. “Well, Lyle, I’ve learned from past experience, that when something does go wrong you’re not to far behind. You just can’t keep your grubby little hands clean, can you?”

Lyle just rolled his eyes, giving her a bored look. “Are you done? As much fun as this has been, I’m afraid I’m going to have to call it a night.” He turned his gaze on Broots, who scurried behind Miss Parker. “Broots, remember I still have to teach you a lesson about fire pokers.” He flashed Broots a mischievous grin, and then turned on his heels as he prepared to leave.

Miss Parker, however, had other plans on her mind. Reaching out her arm, she roughly grabbed Lyle by the shirt collar and threw him down on a chair. “Sorry, Lyle, but you’re not getting out of this that easy. Now, do you want to do this the easy way or the hard way? I’ve got plenty of time to make your life a living hell.” She gave him a predatory smile.

Lyle was starting to get angry. How dare she barge into his house like this? “Who the hell gives you the right to offer such ludicrous demands? Do you know where you are? You’re at my house, pointing a gun at my head, threatening my life. I’ve had enough of your crap.” Lyle abruptly stood up. “I’ll give you ten seconds to leave my house, before I call the police.”

Miss Parker just laughed at his demand as she pushed him back down again. “Little brother, thanks for saying that. I needed something to laugh at.” She then looked down at Lyle with seriousness. “Now, I’ll say it again, the easy way or the hard way.”

Lyle scoffed at her. “Sis, you’re all words and no action.”

Miss Parker smirked at him. “Well, I’ll guess it’ll be the hard way.” She brought her left hand up to Lyle’s hair. She pretended that she was flicking items out of his hair. Focusing on the gash on top of his head she commented, “Lyle, this cut looks pretty nasty. It would be a shame if something bad gets inside, infecting it.”

Lyle was starting to become bored again. He laid his hands in his lap. “This must be my torture, boring me to death, huh?” He looked up at her. “And you’re doing a good job at it, because death would be more enjoyable than this.”

Miss Parker continued to smile at him as she rubbed his hair away from his face. Then suddenly, she dug her fingers into the cut. She got the response she wanted when Lyle yelped out in pain.

“You crazy bitch!” he muttered out. The pain was unbearable, but he kept his tears at bay. He wouldn’t give her the satisfaction of seeing him cry.

“And don’t you forget it.” To emphasize her point, she dug her nails deeper into the cut. “I guess we’re going to have to do this the hard way. Now, where’s Debbie,” she growled out.

Through clenched teeth Lyle replied. “I don’t know where she is. I had nothing to do with her kidnapping.”

“Liar!” she yelled out.

“It’s the truth.”

“Lyle, you don’t know the meaning of the word ‘truth’. All you ever do is tell lies.” Miss Parker looked over at Broots. “It’s time we take more drastic measures, since little brother isn’t so forthcoming with me.” Looking at the kitchen drawers she told Broots to grab a knife.

Broots came back over, but didn’t give her the knife. “Miss Parker, what are you going to do?”

“I’m just going to play a nice little game called ‘how much do you love your remaining thumb’,” Miss Parker grabbed the knife from Broots’ hand. Grabbing Lyle’s right wrist, she held his hand firmly down on the table, letting the blade hover over his thumb. “Lyle, let’s start over again. Where’s Debbie?”

Lyle gave Miss Parker a cold look. “Like I keep on saying, I don’t know where she is. Man, I sound like a broken record.”

Miss Parker just gave him a wicked smile. “Wrong answer.” She let the cool blade touch his thumb, but didn’t push down. She looked up at Lyle. His face remained calm, but she could see the fear in his eyes.

“Wait, wait, wait,” he said rapidly. “If you would just let me finish, I’ll tell you why I have nothing to do with the kidnapping.”

Miss Parker pulled the knife back up an inch. “Fine, you’ve bought yourself a minute. Now start talking.”

Lyle let out a deep breath and looked back into Miss Parker’s eyes. “Well, the reason why I have nothing to do with Debbie’s kidnapping is because I’ve been stuck in jail for the past twenty four hours.”

“For what?” asked Broots.

“Last night I went to a bar and got pretty drunk. I drove my car for only a minute before a cop pulled me over. I was arrested and charged with drunk driving. They kept me in a cell, to sleep it off. Plus, it didn’t help matters when I fought with the arresting officer.”

Miss Parker just shook her head in disbelief. “How do I know you’re not lying?”

“Call the police station. They’ll back up my story,” he replied with annoyance.

While Miss Parker and Broots were in the kitchen with Lyle, Jarod was out in the living room typing on his laptop. He hacked into the Blue Cove police records, looking for anything about Lyle Parker. After a couple of seconds, he got a hit. Lyle was indeed arrested last night for a DUI and kept in jail for the past twenty-four hours. To make sure this wasn’t some bogus report, Jarod hacked into the security system. Sure enough, there was Lyle, sleeping off his drunken stupor. Jarod didn’t know what to think. If Lyle didn’t kidnap Debbie, then who did?”

To Be Continued...