Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 10

Broots rubbed his eyes as he drove through the small town streets. He was going as fast as the speed limits would allow. The last thing he needed was to be pulled over by a cop. It would only make the situation worse.

After awhile, he finally saw Lyle’s house in the distance. Slowing the car down, he turned off the headlights, driving past the house, looking for any signs of sweepers. Satisfied that nothing seemed out of place, he parked the car down the street, away from Lyle’s house. Reaching over into the passenger seat, he grabbed the gun. He couldn’t help but get a déjà vu feeling from his. Only hours ago, he did the same thing in front of Miss Parker’s house. Shaking the bad memory away, he took a couple of deep breaths and stepped out of the car.

As he walked towards Lyle’s house, he made sure to hide among the shadows. He didn’t want a nosy neighbor to call the police saying there was a strange man walking the streets this late at night.

When he finally reached Lyle’s house, he stayed low to the ground while running towards the back of the house. Hiding behind a bush, he looked around him. All the lights were off inside the house. He didn’t see Lyle’s car parked on the street or the driveway. Taking out a small flashlight, he went over to the garage and looked in the windows. Lyle’s car was nowhere to be found. He turned off the flashlight and put it back in his pocket. Knowing Lyle wasn’t home would make this somewhat easier.

He walked back over to the house and knelt down beside a basement window. Taking the gun out, he smashed the window in. He stayed still, listening and looking out for any neighbors waking up. The night remained undisturbed. Letting out a deep breath, he unlocked the window, letting himself in.

Broots reached back into his pocket for the flashlight. He turned it on, pointing the light down towards the ground. With the flashlight in one hand, he kept the gun in the other. Lyle’s place definitely gave him the creeps. He walked around, looking for any secret doors, but there was none. Going to the stairs he nearly jumped out of his clothes as he heard a loud rumbling. What the hell was that? He spun around wildly, looking for the noisemaker. When his flashlight fell upon the disturbance, he chided himself for being such a scaredy cat. “Damn furnace,” he muttered to himself. Turning back around he went up the stairs.

He winced as he opened the basement door. Luckily, no squeaking came from the hinges. Broots turned off the flashlight and put it back in his pocket. The moonlight and streetlight provided enough illumination within the house, but he still kept his gun drawn. He checked the second and third floors, but still no sign of Lyle or Debbie. He looked in the closets also, making sure there were no secret rooms hidden behind the walls. Since Lyle was nowhere in the house he went into the study. Maybe the key to finding Debbie would be in there.

Broots walked hurriedly to the desk and sat down on the black leather desk chair. Putting the gun down on the desktop, he rifled through the drawers, looking for any information about where Debbie was being kept. Still nothing. Growing frustrated, he slammed his fists down on the desk. “Where are you Debbie?” he said to himself.

He leaned back in the chair and looked around. Seeing a small file cabinet in the corner, he quickly got up and headed towards it. Broots tried opening the cabinets, but they wouldn’t budge since they were locked. Remembering a letter opener he seen in one of the desk drawers he went and got it. Squatting down in front of the cabinet, he worked the lock with the opener. After about five minutes the cabinet finally popped open. Taking out his flashlight again he went through the files.

After awhile he let out a defeated sigh and sat against the cabinet. There was still no information about Debbie’s kidnapping. He felt the answers were right here in front of him, but where? Looking back up at the desk he saw it. How could he have been so blind? As if to emphasize his point, he hit the side of his head with his hand, as if knocking some sense back into him. He scurried back over to the chair, flipped open the laptop, and turned it on. He was just about ready to type in some commands when he heard a car pull into the driveway. Getting up, he went over to the window and peaked through the blinds. His anger and fear came flooding back to him as he saw who stepped out of the car. It was Mr. Lyle.

XXXXXXXX

Jarod's Lair

Jarod looked down at his watch. An hour had past since he put Miss Parker down on the couch, and still he didn’t have anything to help find and rescue Debbie. Deciding he could use a small break, he got up from his chair to fix another pot of coffee. While waiting for the coffee, he leaned against the counter, thinking about everything that has played out in past couple of hours.

Everyone knew Lyle wanted power. That was no big surprise. Lyle wanted everything. It just amazed Jarod how far Lyle would go to get that power, but he was slowly starting to understand why Lyle did it.

Raines and Miss Parker were two very large speed bumps that slowed Lyle down on his road towards power. For Lyle, there was only one way to take care of this, by taking them out of the picture. As extra insurance, this would lure the pretender out of hiding when he found out that Miss Parker was in danger. That way in case anyone found out about his little plan he could always say that he brought the prized pretender in, making him seem all to important to the Triumverate.

Then Lyle had to involve Broots and Debbie. At first, Jarod didn’t understand why Lyle would want Broots to be the hitman, but everything was now starting to come full circle. With Debbie’s life in danger, Broots would do anything to protect her, including murder. And what better way to get rid of Miss Parker, than by having Broots kill her. Lyle knew Miss Parker’s defenses would be down when she was with Broots. It would be the person you would least expect to harm or kill Parker. Then, having Willie bring the cell phone over to Broots’ house was almost pure genius.

If Willie was in the picture, then Raines couldn’t be too far behind. And that’s where Raines would come in. Lyle needed a scapegoat for this whole fiasco, and who better to set up than Raines. So, when all was said and done, Broots would’ve killed Miss Parker. Broots and Debbie would most likely ended up dead also, cause there couldn’t be no witnesses to go against Lyle. Raines would have been blamed for the kidnapping an ordered assassination of Miss Parker. Plus, Jarod might have been thrown in as an extra bonus. ‘Lyle is truly a sick man,’ Jarod thought to himself.

Grabbing a mug from one of the cabinets, Jarod poured himself a steaming mug of the black liquid, adding some sugar and cream to the mix. He continued to ponder his thoughts when he noticed something was amiss in the kitchen. What was it? He looked around, but he couldn’t figure it out.

He walked out of the kitchen with the mug towards Miss Parker. She was still asleep, clutching the quilt to her. Jarod bent down and felt her forehead. She was still a little warm, but not as bad as before. He stood back up again and decided to go outside and get some fresh air.

When he stepped on the porch he was in for a shock. Where was the car? Putting the coffee mug down on the railing, he ran to the spot where the car was parked. He noticed tire tracks going down the hill, but another thing that stood out were shoe prints. Jarod followed the trail of prints and stopped outside of Broots’ window. “Damn,” Jarod muttered to himself. Turning on his heels, he ran back into the house.

Miss Parker woke up to the sound of the door flying open, knocking against the wall. “What the hell?” she said with annoyance.

While running past the couch Jarod said breathlessly, “Broots is gone!”

Miss Parker threw the quilt off of her and bolted off of the couch. “What do you mean he’s gone? We’ve been guarding the door, plus I took the keys from him.”

Jarod came out of Broots’ room, walking back into the kitchen. “Well, he’s gone. He must have snuck out of the window and jumpstarted my car.”

Miss Parker followed Jarod into the kitchen. “I can’t believe he would do this. This was a stupid move on his part.” She paused an added, “What are you looking for?”

Jarod slammed the last drawer he was looking in. “My gun. I know I brought it in here. Broots must have taken it somehow. We have to find him before he gets himself killed,” Jarod said with urgency.

“Do you think he went to Lyle’s house?” she asked even though she knew the answer.

“Yes, I’m afraid he did.” Jarod ran past her and went into another bedroom. Miss Parker followed closely behind.

“Jarod, how are we going to get to Lyle’s house in time to stop Broots? He took are only mode of transportation,” she asked.

Miss Parker watched as Jarod started packing all kinds of items into another backpack. “Lucky for us, I have a motorcycle parked in the back. We’ll just have to use that. C’mon.” He grabbed the keys off the dresser and ran past her again. He came back seconds later with the clothes she had on earlier. “I’ve already washed these for you. Go ahead and change and then we’re out of here.”

Miss Parker took the clothes and quickly ran out of the room towards the bathroom. Once she was dressed she found Jarod hovering over the laptop. He typed on the keyboard a few more seconds, then turned it off and put it in his bag among his other items. He looked up at her an asked, “Are you ready?”

She walked over to him and took one of the helmets from his hands. “As ready as I’ll ever be.” She paused an added, “But, if Lyle doesn’t kill Broots, I will.” Even though she was angry with Broots for doing this, she prayed that he was alive an okay.

Jarod smiled at her comment. “You really do care about Broots, don’t you?”

She stopped in the doorway, and looked at Jarod. Her demeanor softened, while her voice took on a worried tone. “Jarod, in some ways, he’s the brother I never had.” She then quickly turned back around and went outside.

Jarod picked up his bag and helmet, quickly following her out. He ran down the deck steps, meeting her by the motorcycle. “Here, you need to put this on your back.” He offered her the backpack and continued, “We can still talk to each other through these helmets.” Miss Parker just nodded to him as she put the backpack on. Jarod swung his leg over the motorcycle and turned on the engine. The motorcycle purred to life without any problems. Jarod felt the cycle bounce down as Miss Parker climbed on.

Miss Parker looked for something to hold onto, but there was nothing. “Jarod, what am I suppose to hold onto?”

“Me,” he simply said as he smiled to himself.

Miss Parker let out a sigh, laying her hands on Jarod’s side. “Fine, let’s go.”

Jarod turned around and looked at her. “Oh, and Miss Parker?”

“Yes?”

“You might want to hold on tighter.” He flashed her that cocky smile of his as he flipped down the visor on his helmet. Turning around he put the motorcycle in drive and sped out of the driveway. Without thinking, Miss Parker held on tighter by wrapping her arms around Jarod’s waist.

“I bet you’re just loving this, Jarod,” she said sarcastically.

Jarod let out a soft chuckle. “What’s not to love? I have a beautiful woman holding onto me for dear life. By the way, you might want to loosen up your grip, so I can breathe.”

Miss Parker could feel her cheeks becoming flushed. Thank god, Jarod couldn’t see her. She loosened her grip a little, but still had her arms around his waist. “Jarod?”

“Yes?”

“Shut up and pay attention to the road,” Miss Parker tried to sound caustic, but Jarod could hear the smile in her voice.

“Whatever you say, my lady.” He then gunned the motorcycle, making it go faster.

XXXXXXXXX

Lyle's House

Broots watched Lyle as walked up the walkway. He turned back around and turned off the computer. He didn’t know how, but he made it down the steps before Lyle opened the front door. He could hear the footsteps coming closer as Lyle walked up the porch steps. He took a couple of deep breaths, and reached in his pocket for the gun. His confidence quickly evaporated when he couldn’t find the gun. Broots patted himself frantically, but there was no gun. With dread, he knew where it was. It was still sitting on Lyle’s desk. Unfortunately, he didn’t have time to go running back upstairs to get it. Grabbing the closest weapon he could find, he hid behind the door hoping this would turn out in his favor.

Broots held his breath as he heard Lyle’s keys jangle in the lock. After a couple seconds, the door opened as Lyle let himself in. With Lyle’s back facing him, Broots lifted up the vase he was holding and smashed it on top of Lyle’s head. Lyle instantly fell to the floor. Broots quickly ran past him and went up the stairs. When he came back down the stairs, Lyle was nowhere to be found. “Oh no,” Broots muttered to himself.

Going down the stairs more slowly, Broots held out the gun in his shaking hands. Broots saw a small trail of blood on the carpet, which ended by a closet. His heart was pounding as he reached out a shaky hand to open the door. Taking a deep breath, he swung the door open. He was surprised to find no Lyle. Where was he? Broots let out a small sigh of relief as he closed the door. When Broots turned back around he came face to face with Lyle, who had a small stream of blood running down his face.

“Hello, Broots. Long time no see,” Lyle said with a smirk. Before Broots could react fast enough, Lyle knocked the gun out of Broots’ hands. Broots quickly went past Lyle and lunged for the gun. He felt Lyle jump on top of him as he struggled to reach the gun. He was so close, that his fingertips were grazing the cold metal, but he couldn’t get a grip on it. Just when he thought he had it, Lyle suckered punched him in the ribs, jolting him forward. Broots watched in horror as the gun fell down the basement stairs. It was his only protection against Lyle.

Lyle jumped off of Broots, going over to the fireplace. Broots quickly turned on his back. He got half way up when he seen Lyle coming towards him, hiding something behind his back.

“Broots, tell me. Why are you doing here? Do you have a death wish or something? You break into my house and start attacking me. Did my sister send you here to do her dirty work?” Lyle continued to slowly walk towards Broots. Feeling stronger with each step.

Broots began backing away until there was nowhere else to go, as he smacked against the wall. He put his hands up in self-defense, preparing for anything. “You know why I’m here, you son of a bitch. Where’s Debbie?” Broots wanted to sound strong, but his voice came out scared and nervous.

Lyle stopped mid stride and looked down at the frightened technician. “What are you talking about? How should I know where your daughter is?” Baffled by the question.

Broots slowly inched his way up the wall. “I know what you’re up to, but you won’t win. I have Miss Parker and..,” Broots stopped himself before he said Jarod’s name. He didn’t want Lyle to know that Jarod was helping him.

“You have my sister and who else, Broots?” Lyle said with smugness. Broots didn’t answer. Lyle let out a soft chuckle as he walked up to Broots. “That’s what I thought.”

Broots could feel the panic fluttering through him. “Please, just tell me where my daughter is? For once, do something good in your life and tell me where she is.”

“Like I said before, I have no idea where your daughter is, but you’ll pay for attacking me not to long ago.” Lyle brought out the fire poker he was hiding behind his back. Broots watched in horror as Lyle lifted it above his head, ready to swing at Broots.

“Say good night, Broots,”

To Be Continued...