Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Whatever It Takes
Part VIII

Trisha


8/?

Jarod tenatively seeks to still Parker's shaking shoulders, but she pulls away from his comfort giving touch.

"DON'T TOUCH ME! HAVEN'T YOU DONE ENOUGH! LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE!" she snarls at him like a wounded animal throughh gut-wretching sobs.

"Parker, I'm so sorry . . . so sor. . ."

"Don't!" she looks at him holding a hand up in warning. Pullingherself up off the wooden floor, she stumbles over to the rocking chair located under a pale yellow laced-curtained window.

"Parker. . ." Jarod begins again.

"GET OUT! JUST GET OUT!" she softly murmurs," I WANT YOU TO GO AWAY!"

Easing the door closed, Jarod hangs his head in despair. Hopefully she can work through the pain, they will deal with the anger later. Jarod retreats into his room, he opens the wardrobe and removes a black tee shirt and a pair of beige dockers. He makes his way to the bathroom somewhat defeated.

It can out of nowhere. Blindsided. So she sits and rocks for hours, her knees pulled up to her chest, hands clasped tightly around them. Slowly the tears stop flowing, her breathing returns to normal. Reaching behind, she gently tugs at a white and yellow blanket that was draped over the back of the rocker. Tenderly she caresses it to her cheek, reveling in it softness.

A ray of sunlight breaks through the window and something strikes a chord in Parker. An unnerving realization. Leaping to her feet, Parker opens the dresser drawer, that is located by the crib. Reaching in she removes a tiny sleeper.

Feeling its coolness in her hands, she brings it to her face. Inhaling slightly, she catches a sweet soap scent. Running a hand over the top of the crib, she examines it to find no dust. Even the carousel of tiny horses that hangs above the crib is well preserved. Throwing the door open, Parker screams.

"J A R O D!!!!"

Jarod heard the scream from the deck, and he raced through the house and took the stairs two at a time. Reaching the landing, he is confronted by an irate Parker.

"How long have you been here? Tell me, quickly," she eyes him critically, waiting.

"Why?" he replies.

"Stop messing with my mind. No mind games. There is something that you aren't telling me," she looks at him icily," I'm not going to fall apart again, believe me. Now tell me!"

"What?" he stares at her, unsure.

"Damn it Jarod! Who the hell has kept this place up? Jarod, answer me.

Who?" she reaches out and grabs hold of his face with both hands and brings it within inches of her's trying to read what he's hiding in his dark brooding eyes.

"Are you sure you want to know?"

" YES! I need-to-know. Understand. I need to know. NOW!"

" Then get dressed and meet me on the deck."

Parker walks out of the kitchen door and unto the deck and finds Jarod staring at the river, deep in thought.

"Well?" she questions.

"Hope you don't get seasick?" he replies, "We're going to take a little trip across the river to that island," he reveals slowly to a startled
Parker.

"Then let's go! Don't just stand there, I have to many questions and I want all the answers, " she smiles cautiously.

"Come on then, your vessal awaits," he says softly. Reaching out his hand he hopes she will accept it. She does and takes hold squeezing tightly and both release a sigh of relief. They walk down the stairs to a small dock located between the pines, awaiting them is a sleek motor boat. After helping Parker in, Jarod turns the key and the motor roars to life. They push off from the dock and glide out onto the water.

The water is smooth as a mirror. Other than the hum of the motor, the only other sound is the squawk of the gulls, overhead. Slowly, Jarod manuvers toward a small channel and enters the island's dock area. Looking back at Parker as he cuts the engines throttle, he finds her hair is damp and droplets of water trickle down her face from the boat's spray. She laughes at his somewhat alarmed expression. Carefully they pull up along side the dock and secure the boat.

Stepping out on to the wooden decking, Jarod takes hold of her hand. Making their way cautiously, through bramble and brush, they halt suddenly. Glancing at each other, Jarod holds a finger to his lips, then turns his attention to a wooden gate, high and broad, beyond which lies gardens, a row of tall old oak trees and a house, a truly gothic house.




Thanks so far for all the feedback. I do enjoy it. Please keep it coming. I thought that this would not go on for so long but it has taken on a life of its own and I have no idea where it will end.

Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com