Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Whatever It Takes
Part VII

Trisha


7/?

Moving away from the door, Parker grabs cranberry silk pajamas from the bed, then wills herself into the bathroom, still shaken by the images of her mother. Placing hands on the marble counter, she glances at her reflection in the mirror and sees her mother smiling back.

"Am I still your Angel, momma?" she whimpers tearfully, hoping for a reply but knows one won't be forthcoming. Slipping between crisp cotton sheets, Parker cuddles the tiny stuffed bunny. As she drops off to sleep, puzzled by Jarod's help, she dreams of her mother, Raines and a tiny girl named Beth.

In the room next to Parker's, Jarod stands in the shower and lets the cool cascade of water run down his lean body, trying to wash away the memories of beautiful ice blue eyes that glistened earlier because of the candlelight.
They then filled with pain. So much pain. He wanted to wrap his arms around her and give comfort but. . . Towelling off, he pulls on a pair of deep forest green boxers and takes up residence in a wicker high back chair by his bedroom window. He had told Parker to get some rest, yet here he sits staring at the twinkling stars in the dark velvet night sky.

"Catherine, the hard part is yet to come. She'll need all of her strength and courage now," he whispers to the stars. He watches as one star twinkles much more brightly than the rest in response to his statement. Smiling, Jarod eases out of the chair and pours his tired body into his bed and drifts off to a dreamless sleep.

RRRRRRRRRR

The next morning dawns bright and fair. There is a white mist upon the ground and river. The air is chilled as Parker makes her way down to the kitchen. Her sense of smell has informed her that Jarod is already up and about because of the rich aroma of coffee wafting through the house.

"Coffee! I need coffee!" she mumbles, pushing a stray lock of dark hair out of her face.

"Here," as a hand holds a big mug of steaming hot coffee under her nose.

Slowly rubbing the remaining remnants of sleep from her eyes, she finds Jarod standing in front of her, clad only in his boxers, eating a chocolate doughnut. Peering at him over the rim of her mug, she isn't sure to drink it or him, so she quickly lowers her gaze to the floor.

"Doughnut?" he asks her as he holds out the box to her," I got your favorite, glazed twist."

"Thanks," she says picking out the twist," Now tell me all that you found out."

"It's easier to show you. Finished, then follow me," he says and picks up a flat metal key from the table. They make their way back up the stairs and stop in front of one of the doors Parker tried to open yesterday. Jarod inserts the flat key into the doorknob. Pushing the door open, its contents are revealed. Boxes upon boxes, yet there are some items encased in bubble wrap. It is one of these that catches Parker's attention. She slowly unwraps the object to reveal a carousel music box. Jarod hears her sharp intake of breath.

"I always wondered where this disappeared too. Daddy told me it broke. We bought it after spending the whole day at the carousel ride in the park. After she died, I couldn't find it, but then again I could not find a lot of momma's things," Parker said softly.

"That's because most of her possesions are her. I think she realized that she was in a lot of danger. She had planned on getting you, me and Angelo out of the Centre, with the help of my father. She had no intention of going back," Jarod said.

"Your father said she was going to take me to Europe," Parker revealed to Jarod.

"It fits. I found passports in her desk, yet after I was safely returned to my family, I think that she planned on staying here for a while."

"What about Angelo?" Parker quiered.

" I think she was going to keep him. I found correspondence from a clinic for young children, as well. Parker, there is more. Come on."

Jarod removes the carousel music box from her hands, and drags her to the next room. Before her unlocks it, he turns to Parker, with a look of consternation on his face.

"Parker, what kind of mood was your mother in before she was killed? Did the Centre ever do an autopsy? I'm sorry to ask, but once you see this room. Oh hell,Parker. I think your mother may have been pregant!" he says with hurt in his eyes.

"What?" Parker tugs the key out of his hand and with shaking fingers manages to open the door. A fully decorated nursery.

"That son of a bitch," rips from her throat and she sinks slowly to her knees, sobbing.



Thanks so far for all the feedback. I do enjoy it. Please keep it coming. I thought that this would not go on for so long but it has taken on a life of its own and I have no idea where it will end.

Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com