Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Whatever It Takes
Part VI

Trisha


6/?

Parker sipped her wine and tried to maintain her composure. She wondered if he was trying to seduce her, because just looking into his dark eyes had a much more intoxicating effect on her than the wine.

"Alright you win, Jarod. One question, please?" she placed her glass on the table slowly.

"One question," he sighs, nodding his head in defeat.

"How did you find this place?" Parker asked, watching his features contort in a pained expression.

"My father. He was suppose to meet your mother here, when she got us out of the Centre," Jarod replied in hushed tones.

"So you were hoping that they'd be here," Parker whispered. Jarod nodded his head in the affirmative, then resumed eating his dinner.

His eyes nevering leaving her's, she shifted uncomfortable in her seat.

"How long have you been here?" Parker asked to break the silence.

"A week and a half. Took me a few days to decide on the next step."

"Why? You found out something important. What?" Parker's voice took on an icy quality.

"Damn it Parker! You can't let go can you. Tenacious as every. Fine, come on," Jarod rose from his chair, storm clouds in his eyes as he took hold of her wrist.

"Go, where?" Parker stammered suddenly afraid. He half dragged, half tugged her down the hallway, then opened the door, to what was obviously a study.

"I wanted to wait till the morning to show you these," his features full of sadness, " but. . ."

"Show me what?" Parker demanded.

"Sit! Watch!" he growled.

A halliburton case was situated on the desk, not Jarod's, Parker realized, but its dulled finish. Jarod opened the desk drawer, and removed four DSA discs.

"These were your mother's," Jarod replies, a haunted look in his dark eyes.

"Please, stay." Parker grips his wrist and implores him not to leave.

"No! You need to watch. Maybe learn a thing or two about the woman you once considered to be weak. Then we talk." with that said Jarod left her with the unknown.

With her shaking hands, she took hold of the DSA gently, then turned and placed it into the case. Her knuckles white from the death grip she had on the sides of the desk as she watched.

FOR CENTRE USE ONLY
DECEMBER,1969

CATHERINE PARKER IS SEATED BEHING A DESK, REVEIWING A REPORT WHEN IN SHUFFLES RAINES.

"CATHERINE, HOW COULD YOU? YOU HAD NO RIGHT! I'VE BEEN ORDERED TO APPEAR BEFORE A T-BOARD," HE WHEEZED SLIGHTLY, THROWING A PAPER ON HER DESK.

"I KNOW. YOU WENT TO FAR THIS TIME WILLIAM," HER EYES STARE AT HIM ICILY.

"STOP INTERFERING!" HE SCREAMS.

"NEVER!" SHE HISSED BACK, THEN RETURNED TO THE REPORT SHE WAS READING, TOTALLY IGNORING HIM. RAINES HEADS FOR THE DOOR, STOPS AND TURNS AROUND.

"CATHERINE, YOUR DAUGHTER," HE SMILES EVILLY," YOU NEVER KNOW, PEOPLE DISAPPEAR AROUND HERE EASILY."

THE DOOR SHUTS BEHIND HIM AS A CRYSTAL PAPERWEIGHT SHATTERS WHERE HIS FACE HAD JUST BEEN.

"OVER MY DEAD BODY, YOU BASTARD," CATHERINE WHISPERS.

She went up against the watchdog. Parker wondered just how she managed to have Raines called before the T-board. Parker inserts the next disc.


FOR CENTRE USE ONLY
JANUARY, 1970

A YOUNG ANGELO IS BEING BADGERED BY RAINES OVER A SET OF PHOTOS. SUDDENLY OUT OF THE CORNER OF THE ROOM A YOUNG GIRL APPEARS. HER FEATURES ARE DELICATE AND HER SKIN WHITE AS PORCELAIN. SHE IS SMALL BONED, ALMOST TINY, HER HAIR IS COAL BLACK BUT ITS THE EYES THAT SEEM TO BE MADE OF OBSIDIAN, SO BLACK THAT THERE IS A GLINT IN THEM THAT SUGGESTS THE PRESENCE OF A DORMANT VOLCANO. AN UNAWAKANED STORM. THEY DANCE, THEN DARKEN EVEN MORE AS SHE HISSES AT RAINES, UNARAID.

"LEAVE HIM ALONE. HE'S TIRED AND SCARED."

RAINES LEERS AT THE GIRL BEFORE PUSHING HER AWAY. HE TOWERS OVER A QUIVERING ANGELO, MAKING DEMAND UPON DEMAND. THE GIRL EDGES HER WAY TO THE TABLE, HER DARK EYES MAKING CONTACT WITH RAINES OUTSTRETCHED HAND. A FLASH OF METAL, A CRY OF PAIN AND RAGE. RAINES' HAND OOZING BLOOD. A SMILE OF SATISFACTION ON THE GIRL'S FEATURES. RAINES BACKHANDS HER ACROSS THE FACE, YET SHE REMAINS UNFAZED BY THE BLOW. STARING AT RAINES, DEFIANT, HATRED BLAZING IN HER OBSIDIAN EYES.

"LEAVE HIM ALONE," SHE PICKS OF THREE OF THE FOUR PICTURES ON THE TABLE, TAKING EACH ONE SEPERATELY AND THROWS THEM AT HIM, SAYING, "HE'S ANGRY! HE'S CONFUSED! HE'LL KILL IF TOLD TOO. YOU TRAINED HIM WELL! THE LAST ONE SHE LOOKS AT CAREFULLY, BEFORE TURNING TO RAINES. A SMILE ON HER FACE.

"THIS ONE IS GOING TO KILL YOU SOMEDAY."




Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com