Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended. Song lyrics belong to Travis Tritt, by using them I do not make any money out of it.



Whatever It Takes
Part IV

Trisha


4/?

Jarod took her hand and held it gently, and they just rocked on the front porch for hours. To any who would have seen them, they seemed the idyllic couple spending the summer at their country home. Finally, Parker looked into a pair of deep brown eyes and smiled tentatively.

"Thans for just being here," she mumbled, softly.

"Glad to be of service.Come on, I'll show you to your room," Jarod rose from the rocking chair and retrieved the suitcase that was still by the screen door. Holding the door, he followed Parker into the house. A house that premeated of tranquility and warmth. Leading her up the stairs, Parker was suddenly struck with a sense of foreboding. Not an evil feeling but just this tiny feeling that before the next two weeks were over things between her and Jarod would change, forever.

"Here. I think you will like it. Nothing much is different since I found it. Well, other than no more dust." Jarod chuckled.

"Do you do windows too?" Parker asked a smile tugging at her lips, but it slowly faded as Jarod opened the bedroom door. Pale blue walls, white cotton curtains billowed slightly due to the open windows. A four poster bed of the darkest cherry wood was located between them. the white comforter was turned down to reveal light pale blue sheets,four white Battenburg lace-edged pillows crowded the headboard and nestled in the middle was a tiny stuffed toy. A bunny.

"The bunny was my idea, everything else was here," he whispered softly. Jarod placed the suitcase on the cedar trunk located at the foot of the bed.
"The bathroom is here," he stated as he opened a door to the left of the bed, "Relax and I'll start dinner. There are somethings that you need to know and tomorrow there is someone that I want you to meet."

Jarod left the room and Parker walked over to the cherry highboy dresser. A small jewelery box was centered squarely in the middle surrounded by a bottle of Chanel, a silver hair brush set, and a picture. It was the picture that caught her attention, she ran her fingertips over the frame and then let then softly touch the glass, afraid it would vanish. Momma and her. She remembered when it had been taken, their last Christmas together. this was her mother's room and it was like being in heaven. If such a place existed, leave it to Jarod to find it. Blinking back the tears, Parker entered the bathroom. There in the middle was a white enamaled claw footed tub. Opening the cupboards, she located big white fluffy towels and sitting on the marble counter top was a glass bottle . The tag was addressed to her.
"Your favorite bubble bath, Jarod."
Removing the stopper, she let the scent of roses fill the room, while she ran the water. She poured a generous amount of the liquid in and swirled it with her hand. Then as she eased her tired body into the tub, she closed her eyes and began to drift off when out of nowhere, music suddenly filled the room. She listened to the lyrics of a song that she was unfamiliar with,

I can't hide the way I feel about you
Anymore
I can't hold the hurt inside
Anymore
My tears no longer waiting
My resistance ain't that strong
My mind keeps recreating
A life with you alone
And I'm tired of pretending
Anymore. . .

She turned the words over in her head, was this just a coincidence or did he purposely play it. There was always some method to his madness, she mused. As the song continued, the warm water cradled her, and her thoughts returned to the words and Jarod.

Let me make on last appeal
To show you how I feel about you
"Cause there is no one else I swear
holds a candle anywhere
next to you
My heart can't take the beating
A small voice keeps repeating
deep inside my soul
it says I can't keep pretending
I don't love you
Anymore
I've got to take the chance, or let it pass by
If I expect to get on with my life.

Always pretending, god she realized that somewhere in his crazy life, he must let his guard down once and awhile. Just how did he feel about things? She never really thought about him as just a man until the whole mess with the clone. She always viewed him as propery. the Centre's , yet when she looked in to J2's eyes and saw the same hurt and pain of not knowing, it all came crashing down around her. then to learn that he risked going back to the Centre to help her, it rattled her very being. Keeping him locked up for purposes that were always shrouded in secrecy was wrong. Reaching for the towel, Parker pulled the plug in the tub and watched the water slowly drain out. Toweling off, she removed the cranberry velour robe from the hook next to the door and wrapped herself up in the feelings of security it gave. Yes, there were quite a few things that needed to be discussed, she realized, as she began to dress for dinner.




Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com