Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.
Okay guys! I had a late night visit from one of the nine Muses, this one was named Inspiration, and this is the result of a late night chat session.
But contact to archive. I had hoped to end this in 20 chapters but the bridge this story was on was washed out during the storm and it is now taking a rather long detour. PG-13 Mild language I think.





Whatever It Takes
Part XX

Trisha









20/?

Parker looked into Jarod's brown eyes and saw that which was probably mirrored in her own. That neither wanted to return to the game, both would rather stay at the house and forget that the outside world even existed. That however was not going to happen.

"Going back is not going to be easy," she remarked.

"No one said it would be. Now you know how I feel." Jarod caressed her cheek.

"Oh! Rub it in. You get to go off to Europe and play dectective over there for me and I have to stay behind at the Centre," she murmured.

"Jealous, are we? Are we giving up so easily? You, me and Europe. Has a lot of possiblities, Parker," he laughed.

"You are terrible. You know that, don't you? First I need to make Raines suffer a little."

"Don't rush into revenge mode on me Parker. This plan is going to take time and its important that we stick to the time table."

" I realize that. He took my family away. He murders my mother and her unborn child, steals Lyle at birth and twisted his brain. He robbed my father, twice." she closes her eyes to hold back the tears," Granted he isn't my biological father but. . ."

"So, your mother was pregnant." Jarod whispered.

"According to her journal, yes. She was so exicited." Parker stared up at the ceiling as she spoke.

"Did he know?"

"Who, Daddy? No! She told Sydney though. Now I know why he won't discuss that little tete-et-tete they had the day before," she continued to stare up at the ceiling waiting . . .

"I'm . . . ."Jarod began, but Parker turned her head to look at him, her eyes brimming with tears.

"Don't! You have nothing to apologize for. The Centre does. Now I have to take a shower," she sat up and tugged at the sheet, wrapping it around her," Care to join me?"

"Parker, please, as you reminded me last night, I'm human, flesh and blood," he grinned and his eyes danced merrily.

"Hey! I only asked if you wanted to shower. I never said a thing about. . . ." she smiled wickedly and whispered in his ear. Pulling away she watched

Jarod blush crimson, then quickly kissed him on the lips before sauntering off toward the bathroom.

"Hey! Wait for me." Jarod said as he scrambled out of the bed after her. Upon reaching the bathroom, he pushed the door shut with his foot as he yanked the towel away for Parker's body, laughing deeply.

**************************************************************

The sun that had poked its head out earlier that morning, had now receded behind ominous black clouds for the storm front was moving back into the vicinity. Jarod and Parker repaired the window that was broke the night before from the storm in her bedroom. Jarod also managed to get the generator running, so that they had electricity. As they decended the stairs to prepare lunch, the duo was surprised to find Beth and Destiny standing at the foot of the stair case, watching.

"Aunt Parker," yelled the tiny fireball as she flew up the stairs, nearly knocking Parker of balance.

"Hello, elf," Jarod said as he tugged at one of her braids," What brings you and your mother across the river on a day like today?"

"I have to leave for New York, and with the storm coming in this evening, I want to leave soon. So I came to let Destiny say goodbye and make sure that you could get a hold of me. If you need too."

"New York, now. Why? " Parker groaned at the thought of losing the last person who shared the same feelings she did for her mother.

"I didn't say I was leaving right this minute. Jarod and Destiny can go help Nanna prepare lunch. She brought the entire pantry, from ‘Whispering Woods,’ with her. You and I need to talk, sis." Beth chuckled.

"That word, sure sounds better coming from you than Lyle," Parker grinned.

"So is it okay if we use the study, Jarod?" Beth quieried.

"Go ahead. Elf and I have something to discuss with Nanna. Don't we, elf?" he said grinning foolishly.

"Huh, Huh!" the little girl replied, returning the grin.

"Chocolate cake!" both cried in unison.

" Children," Parker laughed as she rolled her eyes at Jarod.

The two women made their way to the study and took up residence on the loveseat in front of the bay window that overlooked the spacious grounds.

"Why, New York, now?" Parker looked into black eyes and sighed.

"’SAFEHAVEN'S’ a mess, Parker. I need to clean house, so to speak. I won't lose touch, not now. Anyway Delaware is not that far. I'm still going to help you and Jarod."

"Isn't dangerous for you? If the Centre discovers you're alive."

"Not to worry. Got that covered. If you were to meet me on the streets of New York, even you would not reconize me!" she informed Parker," but I'm not here to talk about me. It changed? Didn't it?"

"I'm not sure I understand the question?" Parker said, softly.

"Cut it out, Parker. I'm EMPATHIC, not STUPID! You. Jarod. Your relationship?" Beth looked at Parker coolly.

"So!"

"Look, Parker, he's still a child at heart. You just witnessed that with him and Destiny. Don't take advantage of his feelings for you. You've had intimate relationships before. . . He's an innocent, so to speak."

"What are you saying?" Parker's voice was taking a defensive tone," That this is all a game to me?"

"No! That's not it at all. I know about you and Thomas," Beth replied as she reached for Parker's hand.

"Thomas is dead. End of story." Parker shot back.

"And. . . " Beth paused, then continued softly," so's the baby."

Parker's face paled in horror, her eyes widened showing fear and sadness.

"How did. . .?" she began then stopped herself.

"I'm sorry. I am truly sorry but. . ."

"No buts, only the doctor at the hospital knew. I never even suspected," Parker turned to look out the window as raindrops began to run down the glass," The doctor said that because of the shock and the loss of blood. It was inevitable."

"Parker, you need to grieve. Losing a child is a traumatic. . ."

"Please, could you see me as a mother. No way. I don't do mommy," her voice betraying her as it cracked.

"Liar. I saw you with Destiny. I just think that you should tell Jarod. He's not Thomas."

"Don't you think I know that?" Parker whispered.

"You can't replace what you lost with him. It's not fair to either of you."

"I know. If anything, Thomas was a replacement for wat I lost with Jarod, because of the Centre," Parker said barely audible.

"Oh, Parker!" Beth reached over and hugged her," You have to tell him though. You owe him that, if you really care about him."

"Tell me what?" Jarod spoke as he poked his head around the door," Sorry. Didn't mean to intrude, but lunch is ready. And the weather is getting nasty, again."

Beth got up from the loveseat but placed a hand on Parker's shoulder and looked into sad blue eyes.

"I'm famished. I'll see you two in the kitchen." Beth said as she retreated from the study.

"Parker? What's wrong?" Jarod was by her side on the loveseat in a flash.

"I'm fine, really. We need to talk, after they leave. Okay!" she reached for his hand and slipped her's into it.

" Sure." Jarod tightened his hold on her hand as they got up to join the others for lunch.

TBC


FEEDBACK, I'M BEGGING. Ractrish@aol.com