Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.




Whatever It Takes
Part XVII a

Trisha






17a/?

"But. . ."
"No buts. . .sleep," Parker pushes him upon the bed, he is almost asleep before his head even touches the pillows. Drawing the comforter up around his shoulders, Parker's hand rests against his cheek, her thumb gently tracing his lips.

"Shhhhh. . .sleep," Parker tells him softly.

"MMMMMmmmmmmm!" he mumbles then turns on to his side.

Parker starts for the door, but turns to glance back at his sleeping form.

"Sweet dreams, Jarod," she whispers, then shuts the door quietly behind her. She returns to the sanctuary and retrieves the files that Jarod was working on. Returning to her own room, Parker makes herself comfortable on her bed. She reviews the latest information Jarod has uncovered regarding PROJECT PROGENY. She shudders as she reads his notes.

The project was originally scheduled to take place in 1975 but things changed. Only four of the original candidates remain. Lyle and Jarod, for Angelo had been ruled unsuitable. He was a risk. The other three were Jarod's sister, Emily, herself, and Dahalia. Emily was safe for the moment as long as she remained hidden. Therefore, Jarod would have to stop his search in order to protect her. Dahalia was dead according to Centre records. No need to be concerned there.

As for herself, she was worried. They did not know that Beth was still alive, yet she was not one of the red files but black. So for now she to was safe. However all were worried about little Destiny, if the Centre ever found out about her. The project had been renewed with the succuss of the two clones. Two new candidates were on the list. J2 and MP2. hell if the originals won't work, use substitutes, thought Parker.

It made her ill just thinking about it. Thank god that Major Charles had gotten the boy away safely, for the time being. The hunt for them was still on. The timetable for the project had been pushed back because of this. So much to do, she thought trying to stifle a yawn. Parker snuggled under the comforter and closed her eyes. A quick nap, she told herself.

Parker awoke surrounded by darkness to hear the rain drumming upon the roof and dripping from the eaves outside her windows. The bedside clock was blank, when her eyes finally focused on it. She sat up, and swung her legs over the side of the bed, and felt for her sandals, but could not find them. Rain. Lightning flashed, then came the wind and it lashed the rain and the branches in every direction, hitting the other window. Crash. Shattering glass. Thunderstorm, thought Parker.

More than a thunderstorm, it was a savage thunder battle. A really massive system rolled in and meet another and they clashed. The thunder and the lightning declared war on each other as lightning fragmented the sky and the foundation trembled and great blasts divided the air and darkness engulfed the house with its conquering noise and offered only intermitt light, which would be the sole illumination for the two occupants.

Jarod awoke to the sound of breaking glass. He bolts from his bed and stumbles in the darkness to his wardrobe for the flashlight he keeps there. Making his was, quickly, to Parker's room, the beam of light finds her trying desperately to latch the outside shutters to prevent any further damage from the storm.

"Here! Hold the flashlight," Jarod yells over the booming noise, and thrusts the light into her hands. Taking the light, Parker watches as Jarod breaks the rest of the glass and leans out the window and quickly manages to grapple with the heavy wooden shutters in the raging wind. Once the shutters are secured, Jarod retrieves the flashlight from a very wet, cold and teeth-chattering Parker.

"Come," he says as he pushes her out of the bedroom and into his. There the fire that Parker had started earlier is dying. Jarod tosses two more logs on the burning embers, then sits Parker in front of it. He grabs the blanket that is draped across the arm of his wicker chair and wraps it around her shivering frame. Jarod makes his way to the bathroom. Parker removes her wet clothes from under the blanket, letting them drop on the floor, then tucks one end of the blanket under the other. He returns with a couple of towels and hands one to Parker. She towel dries her face and hair, then realizes that Jarod is drenched to the skin.

"Jarod, you're soaked! Let's get you out of these wet clothes before you catch pneumonia," Parker says and before Jarod can reply, she peels the wet tee shirt off his torso. Jarod can not take his eyes off of Parker'. He is mesmerized by how lovely she is, with the firelight dancing off her face and shoulders.

Her eyes sparkle with a mixture of longing and purpose.




Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com