Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.




Whatever It Takes
Part XVII

Trisha






17/?

The friendship that the two shared as children renewed itself, after Parker revealed that Jacob was her father. Each took comfort and pleasure in this, yet they knew that soon the day would draw near and the chase would have to resume. Parker would have to go back to the Centre so that she could destroy that which took all things precious to her.

The room, dubbed ‘Catherine's sanctuary’, was cleared of dust and cobwebs in two days time. Next came the tedious but necessary task of reviewing each file and DSA that Catherine had stored there. The information staggered both Jarod and Parker. However, the documents that fascinated them the most had to be the stack of legal papers Catherine had drawn up prior to her death. She had several trust funds established and the funds were not only sizable but legally Parker's.

There was one trust that was left to Beth. A corporation called ‘SAFEHAVEN’. it was a place that sought out gifted children from orphanages and protected them from the Centre's sweeper teams. And since it missed little Davie, Beth was taking a more active role.

The other documents, gave Parker new insight as to how far "Daddy Parker" had lied. Catherine held power in the Centre and had left it to Parker. Jarod was in contact with several of the banks to review the funds and discovered that Parker was extremely wealthy.

Unfortunately, not all the news was good, Jarod had uncovered a file that scares Catherine, so deeply that she willingly risked her life to try and save her daughter and unborn child. ‘PROJECT PROGENY’. Jarod was irate. He had managed to access the Centre's computer banks and discovered that the project had been ressurrected. The fact that the Gemini project was only a semi-sucess did not bode well with the triumverate. Its sucess rate was a dismal failure. The ratio of live births to deaths was intolerable. However, Jarod also discovered that J2 was not the only viable clone, one other had survived. Parker's stomach churned at the thought that there was a second clone at the Centre. Her or MP2.

She stood in the doorway, and watched him diligently work away. He had promised to get some rest last night but he must have gotten caught up and neglected to go to bed. A shadow graced his face. He looked up when he heard her enter and offered her a sheepish smile. He stretched but his back still ached from sitting. He insisted on reviewing the pile of files and DSAs again for any information he might have missed regarding ‘PROJECT PROGENY’. Parker was worried about the pace he had set for himself. His face was so drained of color that Parker was afraid that he was on the verge of making himself ill, yet he contiuned on telling her that he required little sleep, let alone food. Just pez. He wielded pen and logged computer time for hours on en d to complete his task. He told Parker it was in Catherine's memory that this information was needed. She told him repeatedly to slow down.

"Did you get any rest last night or not?" she asked, eyeing him critically

"Couldn't! You've only five days left here and we still need to access all the bank accounts, set-up passwords, set-up time tables, and decide on a contingency plan if all else fails. I can't stop, not now."

"Jarod, you'll end up sick and then where will we be. Do I need to bring Beth and Destiny over from the island to knock some sense into your thick skull? I don't seem to be able too!" Parker says, arms folded across her chest.

"No! You can't do that. It's raining out and the weather channel has severe thunderstom warnings up for the next 48 hours. If they try to come here during a storm. . ." Jarod looked at Parker, his eyes heavy from lack of sleep, dark circles underneath.

"Enough, wonder-boy. Genius or not, you need to get some rest. You've still human. Flesh and blood. Come on, lets' go."

"Go! Where?" he quieries still reading files.

"To bed!"

"Can't!"

Parker takes the files from his hands and places them firmly on the desk. Jarod begins to reach for them, again unwilling to let go.

"NO!!!!" Parker pulls him to his feet. He is unsteady so she wraps an arm around his waist and helps him to his room. Placing two logs in the fireplace, she lights it, so it takes the chill out of the room

"Now lay down and rest," she orders him, pointing in the direction of the bed.




Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com