Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.




Whatever It Takes
Part XVI

Trisha


16/?

Parker's breath was taken away, and there were no words to express her feelings of relief that everything was there. Untouched. Untainted. Her heart was filled with an overwhelming sense of joy, yet it also was pierced by a tinge of regret at the fact that her mother was taken from her, she had a slight desire to turn and run, and yet she remained motionless almost forgeting the patient guardian she had leaned against. She continued to gaze for what seemed an eternity, until she felt Jarod's warm breath on the nape of her neck, his strong arms embracing her.

She heard him whisper her name. Unspoken for so long, it seemed only fitting that it be spoken here in this room.

"Michaela?" he whispered softly," Are you alright?"

"Again, please, say it again," she closed her eyes and listened to her name spoken from sweet lips like a sensual caress that enveloped her like a lover's embrace that gave comfort, warmth, and protection against the harsh reality of their lives.

Parker extricated herself from Jarod's arms, reluctantly, yet she needed to look and touch. She started across the floor leaving a trail of broken cobwebs and traces of fingerprints over that which she touched. Every now and then, she would stop and examine an item more closely. Jarod stood in the doorway like a silent sentinel and watched.

"So, where do we start?" her voice broke the silence like a thunderclap.

"Huh?" Jarod replied startled by her voice.

"I said, where do we start? Jarod, are you with me?" Parker said as she strode purposely across the room to where he stood in the doorway.

"Hello??? she said as she took hold of his face in her hand and looked into his eyes, "Don't zone out on me now, wonder boy. This is one messy room and I need you help.

"Sorry. I'll go get the cleaning supplies from the kitchen," he murmured still in shock that she had not killed him over the use of her first name, but had asked him to repeat it.

"You do that," she answered and watched him scramble down the stairs.

While Jarod was down in the kitchen, Parker returned to her room. She quickly brushed her hair into a ponytail and after looking through her wardrobe, decided to leave on Jarod's sweatsuit. She met Jarod coming up the stairs, his arms laden with mop, broom, and a bucket full of supplies.

"I'll take the mop and the broom. You can go fill the bucket," Parker ordered, " Make sure its warm water too."

"No kidding, I thought we would just pretend," Jarod retorted, smiling.

"Go," Parker said pointing him in the direction of his bedroom. Returning shortly with a bucket a steaming water, Jarod sees that Parker has already began to remove cobwebs from the walls and ceiling with the mop.

"Why don't you start with the file cabinets?" Parker instructs Jarod as she continues to wipe away cobwebs.

As Jarod starts to wipe the cabinets down, he watches Parker out of the corner of his eye.

"Jarod. Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure," he stops and turns to face her, a look of concern flashing briefly across his face.

"Did you know Beth at the Centre?"

" Sort of. She arrived in 1967 but, she was mostly with Angelo or alone. She had quite a temper, hence the nickname, Little Tempest."

"What is it with Raines and new names?" Parker inquired, not really expecting an answer.

" It wasn't Raines that gave it to her. It was Jacob. She hated Raines. She was constantly attacking him and other than your mother, Jacob was the only one who could calm her down. After Jacob's accident, she was a hellcat, lashing out at anyone and everyone. Raines wanted some work done and she refused. It took three sweepers to subdue her, after that she was never seen again." Jarod said shaking his head.

"Yet it took momma almost 2 years to got her out," Parker replied," It was suppose to be her and Angelo but Raines kept a tight watch on them. She did not want to plit the two up, but according to her journal if she had not gotten Beth out, her next trip would have been to the morgue. So momma made it look like Beth died. Jacob had been helping her."

"I figured that he helped her, that's why he was expendable."

"That's not the only reason that he was expendable, Jarod. While talking to Beth and then reading momma's journal, I was finally able to discover the identity of my father." Parker revealed.

Jarod looked at her, his eyes wide in astonishment that she had found out something that he had not been able to discover.

"Parker?"

"Its alright, really. Actually its not as bad as I thought it would be. I just can not reconcile the fact that Lyle. . ." she broke off and shivered at the mention of her brother's name, then returned to sweeping cobwebs. Jarod returned to cleaning off the file cabinets.

"I won't push," he thought.

"Jarod?"

"What?"

" My father. . ." Parker stopped dusting and turned to face him.

"If you're not ready, don't," Jarod said as he walked over to her.

"Jacob!" Parker said so low that Jarod was almost wondering if he had heard her correctly.

"Oh,Parker."

"Hug, please."

Jarod opened his arms and Parker stepped into them eagerly.




Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com