Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.




Whatever It Takes
Part XV

Trisha


15/?

Parker held the slim journal tightly as though it were a life preserver and it would prevent her from drowning. Placing the journal upon her lap, she sat there in Beth's room and absorbed every word that was written in it.

She felt her eyes sting as they started to blur with moisture as she learned just how remarkable her mother was.

The sunlight from the window left spidery shadows throughout the room when Jarod entered. He found Parker in the same spot as when he first saw her earlier. Her eyes were closed, her cheeks were streaked with tears, and her breathing came in shallow gasps.

"Parker?" Jarod said softly as he came to kneel before her chair, reaching for her hand.

"Jarod, we need to go back to the house. It's all there. Everything!" Parker choked back a sob.

"What's there?"

"Just take me back, Jarod. Home," she whispered then rose slowly from the chair.

"Sure, Parker. Let's go say good-bye to Beth and Destiny. Then I'll take you back."

"Thank you."

"We better hurry though, there's a storm coming and we don't need to return in a downpour. Storms get pretty rough around this area, even though they build up slowly, when they hit, it's fierce."

As he headed for the door, Jarod turned to watch Parker place the journal on the small table that held the coffee service.

"Aren't you going to keep it?"

"No! It's safer here." Parker replied as she shook her head.

Together the two descended the stairs and found their hosts. After promises of returning and staying in touch, the pair were going to return to the house that started this little adventure.

RRRRRRRRRRR

Before Jarod could even dock the boat, Parker was out and securing the ropes.

"Whoa, Parker! Slow down. We have time."

"I need to see it. I need to know that it's safe."

"What?"

"Momma's files, notes, everything . It's all there in the house."

"Parker, other than your mother's personal things,and the few DSAs that I should you, there are no other files in the house."

"Yes, there are," she yelled back at him as she raced up the stairs.

"Parker, please. Have you lost your mind?" as he ran to catch up with her.

"No. I found the truth. Come on," she said, grabbing his hand. She literally dragged him up the stairs yet she had stopped to retrieve the small flat key which would unlock that last door.

"Parker, its just a linen closet. That's why I didn't. . . "

"Open the door," she demanded of him, handing him the key.

"Okay, okay," Jarod said as he unlocked the door and opened it to prove to her that it was just a linen closet," See just linens and towels."

"Help me remove these things, Jarod," Parker said as she started to hand him piles of towels and sheets. The back shelf was quickly emptied, and Parker started to remove the shelving.
"What the hell?" Jarod muttered under his breath, as he stared at the door.

"Some genius," Parker laughed softly.

"Alright, Miss Smarty Pants, where's the key? This one won't work," Jarod said, looking rather pleased with himself.

"Watch and learn, wonder-boy, watch and learn," Parker retorted as she removed her mother's ring from her finger and inserted it in the odd shaped hole of the door knob.

CLICK. Jarod stood there with his mouth agape, a dumbfounded expression on his face.

"Your lips are open but no words are coming out!" Parker smirks, feeling along the wall for the light switch. There in the room are files, a desk, a DSA viewer, and an outdated computer. The dust and cobwebs hang on everything. The air is cold, stale, and thick, but its all there. That which cost Catherine Parker her life. Hopefully this Parker would succeed, she thought as she leaned against Jarod's warm body.




Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com