Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.




Whatever It Takes
Part XIV

Trisha


14/?



"Momma knew?" Parker stared wide-eyed at Beth, stunned by the revelation.

"When we first met. It was accidental but I've often wondered if she's still be alive if she didn't find me with them," Beth said leaning forward in her chair.

"With you?" Parker repeated, "Not something the Centre allows."

"Like I said, it was accidental. I was taken to the Centre from the Baker Orphanage, shortly after some people came and ran tests on the children."

"Like little Davie," Parker murmured.

"Anyway, there I am in the infirmary and there was nothing to do, so I started to snoop. Got me into so much trouble at the orphanage. There I was just starting to read the files on the desk, when suddenly, there was all this yelling and screaming out in the hall. So I took the files and hid under the desk. Three voices started talking and then it escalated into yelling in the infirmary. Two males, one female. The woman was furious about some type of experiment that the other did. She ordered them to leave the boy and then get out of the infirmary and not to return until the morning. She would be staying the night with the child."

" I remember once when Momma called to tell me that she would be spending the night at the Centre, someone was ill. She called me the next morning."

"The men left, one was grumbling about going to her husband. She told him to go and see him. The other returned, told her to tread softly around Raines. She laughed at him. Told him she knew more than she let on. Told him that drugging children was unnecessary. It was time Raines discovered out just how far she'd push back. She petitioned for some type of reveiw board. He'd learn about it soon. The man said something about protecting their own child and not to tangle with Raines. He was dangerous and would stop at nothing if interfered with. After he said that, he left. I stayed under that desk for what seemed hours, but when I tried to stretch my legs,I kicked out the chair. Next thing I see is this very pretty lady bending down in front of me. Asking if I'd like to come out from under there. So, I take the files and crawled out. She asked me my name. Beth, I told her. Like the character in LITTLE WOMEN, she says. Nodding, I told her it was my favorite book, but that I had to leave it behind at the orphanage. She told me that it was one of her favorites and that she was reading it with her own little girl. Would you like a new one, she asked?" Beth stopped and wiped at the tears that had formed in the corners of her eyes, then continued," I still have it."

"The files?" Momma took them?" Parker asks.

"Not at first. The little boy in the bed begain to thrash about and she rushed over to comfort him. I watched her with him and knew that I found someone to trust. I asked her her name. Catherine. She smiled and then introduced me to the boy. This is Timmy. He was still incoherent, but I went over to him and brushed the hair from his sweaty forehead. I looked at her and said sadly. "Timmy's gone, now. It's Angelo. I know I scared her, it use to scare me all the time. The next thing I remember is being tucked into a bed and she sat there between us both. She tried to remove the files from me but I took them into the bed with me, yet I was so tired that I dropped them. She retreived them from the floor and then started to read them. I never saw them again." Beth's voice cracks with sadness.

The door to the room flew open and Jarod entered it in a huff. He glanced at the two women. Parker just sat in her chair and glowered at him still smarting from the kiss he had given her the night before.

"Beth, you were right. Someone started a search at the Centre. Destiny received a rather cryptic e-mail. When I asked her about it she just giggled," Jarod informed the women.

"Let me guess, it was signed CJacks," Beth states.

"Yep."

"I'll be there in a moment. You go and check to see if Destiny needs any help. I have something to finsh up here," Beth tells Jarod, then waits until he leaves the room. Handing Parker a journal, she heads for the door.

"That may help you understand it better than I could ever explain it. It's your mother's. Read it," Beth tells a silent Parker, then exits the room.

tbc

Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com