Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.





Whatever It Takes
Part XIII

Trisha


13/?




As quickly as he kissed her, Jarod broke the contact of their lips and looked in to Parker's eyes, smugly.

"That is a kiss shared by lovers. Now go and get a good night sleep, Parker. There's at least a little night left," he advises her.

"Eeeeeew!!" Parker smoulders, then turns so that she can return to the house.

"One more thing Parker, you look wonderful in my sweats," Jarod informs her, chuckling.

Infuriated with his childishness, Parker storms back in to the house and up to the bedroom. Once there she has every intention of shedding her body of her nightclothes but can not quite bring herself to do it.Crawling into a cold bed, Parker draws the burgundy comforter up around her and tries to drift off to sleep. Try as she might, images of dark eyes, soft lips, and warm arms replace the demons of earlier dreams.

Morning arrives quickly, as a pale sliver of light seeps through the pre-dawn forest mist and chases the shadows away. Their restless slumber is broken, as the members of the house begin to stir.

There is a soft knock at the door, and not wanting to be accused of repeating herself to a five year old child, Parker leaves the window from which she was watching the mist burning of the river by the sun's rays.

"Yes?" she states calmly as she opens the heavy wooden door.

"Pardon me, Miss, but Missus Reid wishes that you join her for breakfast in her room," an elderly woman with soft silver hair informs her.

"You must be Destiny's Nanna," Parker asks.

"In a way, Miss. I take care of her just like I took care of Missus Beth when she was younger," the woman informs her.

"Which room is Beth's?" Parker inquires.

"It's the one at the top of the stairs, Miss," the woman says and softly retreats.

Oh hell, thinks Parker. Best get this over with for this secrecy was beginning to grate on her nerves. Slowly taking her time to ascend the stairs, Parker reaches Beth's room. Exhaling quickly, Parker knocks rapidly at the door.

"Come in, Parker," Beth calls.

"Morning," Parker mumbles somewhat unconvinced that its good at all.

"Coffee," Beth asks holding a mug of the black liquid in front of her. Accepting it gratefully, Parker takes a seat in the chair that is across from that of Beth's.

"So, do you plan on answering my questions, or are you going to string me along like wonder boy does," Parker inquires.

"Parker, I had you brought here so that you could get the answers you need to make a choice about your life. Tell me what have you enjoyed in your life this year?" Beth challenges her.

"What have I enjoyed about my life this year? What has that got to do with any thing?" Parker retorts, anger in her voice.

"So everything that you have endured this year was wonderful. You discovered that Raines stoled your twwin brother at birth, not tha Lyle is such a prize for a brother, he's to twist for my taste, then your father marries again, and I must say she's quite a step down in the gene
pool compared to Catherine. I suppose the highlight of your year though was losing Thomas, done so that you would stay at the Centre. Then there is the clone and the lies that Jarod's father killed Catherine.That was so nice of them. I must say you have such a loving family. Gives one a warm fuzzy feeling all over," Beth hisses.

"How do you. . .He told you. " Parker starts to get out of the chair, fury on her features," I'll kill him, that son of a bitch."

"Sit down! I never would have believed that Catherine's daughter could be such a fool! Parker, I have watched and waited. Jarod never told me a thing. If anything, I have guided him in his own little quest for the truth, once I discovered that he escaped the Centre's clutches," Beth reveals.

"You?" Parker looks at her confused.

"Computers are wonderful tools, if used properly," Beth smiles," I tell you that fellow that works with you is quite good. He has kept me and Destiny on our toes."

"Broots!" Parker looks at the woman with amazement.

"Yes, Broots. Never underestimate the geeky, Parker. But enough of this prattle. You want to know about Catherine."

Parker nods her head slowly waiting for what this spitfire has to reveal.

"She had power, Parker. That is until Raines entered upon the scene.He started to underminded her authority. He saw the Centre as a weapon. It was never to be a place of evil. God, Catherine wanted it to be a place of learning and research. I suppose some good did come out of that cesspool. The medical breakthroughs regarding leukemia were remarkable."

"Because of Faith." Parker whispered.

"Catherine loved children, so imagine how she felt when she discovered the red files, Parker. It was to be the beginning of the end."


Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com