Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.
Hey Guys, are you really sure that you want me to continue?

Sure?

Really Sure?

Okay! Okay here is part 9 but I must warn you the cliffhangers don't end.




center>Whatever It Takes
Part IX

Trisha

9/?


Jarod led her through the gate, they slipped through the gardens and past the oaks and started toward the house. Jarod offered no explanation as to where he was taken her, and she did not ask. They walked in silence.Jarod glanced often at Parker, more worried about her than he cared to admit even to himself, but she gave no indication of her emotional state. Once he asked softly if she was all right, and she nodded back to him without speaking.

A short time after, they found themselves approaching the ivy-covered walls of the house. Jarod led them onto the grounds surrounding the semi-dark home, directing them through a shelter of pine that bordered the lawn, then along a row of hedges to a small alcove and a pair of floor-length glass windows illuminated by muted light. Standing before the doors, Jarod tapped softly on the pane. There was a moment's wait, then the curtains covering the windows moved slightly. A latch within was released, and the doors swung open.

Quickly Jarod ushered Parker through, out of habit he glanced furtively about, then follows, closing the doors behind him.

They stood for a few seconds in semi-darkeness listening to the rapid sound of footsteps as someone moved quickly about the room. A light flared from a remote area of the room and Parker found that they were in a small study, burnished oak from walls and shelving, gleaming in the dim light, soft vestiges of color from leather-bound books and tapestries were visible.

There in that remote corner of the room, an elven-featured child with long chestnut hair, slender body browned by the sun, and eyes that were green and deep with life, stoood on a small earthen-colored rug, her hands on hips.

"Jarod!" she cried, "You've come back. A promise made is a promise kept."

She ran into his outstretched arms and he hoisted her up, until both were eye level and grinning foolishly. Casting a receptive glance at Parker,the little girl giggled then whispered secretly in Jarod's ear. Nodding in response to her, she giggled again. Then placing tiny hands on each cheek, she kissed his forehead, then rubbed her nose against his.

"Hello Aunt Parker!" she greeted the already stunned and perplexed woman.

"Aunt Parker?" Parker repeated.

"You didn't tell her. Did you?" the little girl scolded Jarod.

"No, I didn't tell her. That is for your mother to do. Now be a good little elf, Destiny, and tell your mother we're here," Jarod said as he returned the kiss.

"She's with Nanna. She already knows, so she'll be here shortly. Where are your manners, Jarod? Introduce me properly," the little girl wiggled impatiently, waiting for Jarod to release her from his hug.

'You're quite right, young lady. Where are my mannera?" Jarod said as he looked around the room," OOOOh, manners! Where are you?"

The little girl laughed at his antics and even Parker could not keep a smile from tugging at her lips. Taking Jarod's long slender fingers in her tiny ones, they came to stand before a still dumbfounded Miss Parker.

"Miss Destiny Reid, Miss Mmmm Parker," Jarod said turning from one to the other. A tiny hand shot out and grasped Parker's well manicured one at his introduction.

"OOOhhhh!" green eyes widened at the touch," She's the one. Isn't she, Jarod?"

"The one. What?" Parker addressed the child. Destiny crooked her forefinger for Parker to come closer. Parker bends down toward the child and is startled when she looks into grown-up eyes. Eyes too wise for a child. Eyes like Angelo's. Eyes that see deep into one's
soul and know. Tiny hands caress Parker's face before tiny lips whisper, unheard by Jarod.

"Long ago, you stoled his heart."

Parker's eyes widen at the statement, she casts a sideways peek at Jarod, wondering if he heard.

"There's more, if you want to know," Destiny whispers.

"Enough, Destiny," a loving voice from the shadows of the doorway responds. There stepping into the muted light is a woman, who's features are delicate and skin is sun-bronzed. She is small boned, not as tiny as Destiny, but the resemblance is there. Her hair is coal-black but its the eyes that Parker reconizes. Obsidian eyes that suggest the presence of a precious metal in them as they glitter in the half light. Parker knows that the volcano as awoken from it's dormant slumber.

"Beth!" although the room is silent, Parker's whisper reverberates around the room loudly.

RRRRRRRRRRRR

Meanwhile in Delaware, Dr. William Raines awakens from his restless slumber with fear and terror gnawing at his brain and lets out a blood-curdling scream.



Thanks so far for all the feedback. I do enjoy it. Please keep it coming. I thought that this would not go on for so long but it has taken on a life of its own and I have no idea where it will end.

Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com